Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver here, ask questions.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭bobby23

Stheno wrote: »
    Why come on a public forum, endorse fare evasion, admit you can't count which is required as part of your job, don't give people refunds they are entitled to, ignore or blame other road users for issues, and then blame management for everything to do with customers?

Seriously I think his attitude is pathetic, and given how strong the CIE unions are, it's probably part of what fosters this "management will get me/doesn't matter how I behave on fare evasion" attitude.

"and given how strong the CIE unions are,"

hahahahahahahahahahah Best joke i heard in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Hey Bobby, you dbk1/2 shift bogey or euro?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Enjoyed reading this thread and Bobby's driver insights -and I don't even live in Dublin! Thanks Bobby for taking the time to answer all the queries candidly and happy travelling fella

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Is there any reason for a driver not to stop for passengers at a bus stop?

I was heading home from work one night waiting for the last bus and there was a group of people beside me drinking cans, he just took one look at them and then just kept on driving leaving me to get an expensive cab home!

Time after time people drinking cans at bus stop get on bus and urinate all over up stairs.
    Have urine drip on your head a few times and then see if you would stop and pick them up.
    Oh the glamour of driving a bus.

bobby23 wrote: »
    Time after time people drinking cans at bus stop get on bus and urinate all over up stairs.
    Have urine drip on your head a few times and then see if you would stop and pick them up.
    Oh the glamour of driving a bus.

This happened some years ago when the valued customers pee'd down the periscope on the poor driver below.

• Advertisement

Reform is as good as privatisation if it's done right, I'd be happy with that.

Didn't realise they take coppers, that madness.

I suppose given that the drivers can't count, they could replace the machines used now with counting machines that will ping when the relevant amount is in.

So you could at a glance determine if a fist full of 1c and 2c totaled up to 2.65?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Spoken like a real trade unionist.........:rolleyes:

Spoken like a real keyboard warrior.....:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This happened some years ago when the valued customers pee'd down the periscope on the poor driver below.

But not while peeing going up the stairs? Couldn't figure that particular gem of a post from bobby out given the stairs are at least a good six feet from the driver cubicle.

Your post at least makes a bit of sense.

Someone should send this entire thread to Dublin Bus "management" to demonstrate how well their customer focused attitude is reflected by a member of their staff on the biggest message board in Ireland.

Makes a mockery of the good work they did in Swords last year where they'd an information stand, and some very nice staff from Dublin Bus spent time and effort answering queries from the public, I'd a very positive interaction with one of those staff, who took my query, followed it up and gave me a reasoned explanation.

Compare that to someone like bobby, who doesn't give a **** as in his own words, he still "gets payed the same" regardless of how he performs on the job, supports fare evasion, doesn't give people change if he can't count the fare and isn't asked, and generally can't be bothered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Spoken like a real keyboard warrior.....:D

you typed that before in this thread, is that the only old chestnut you have or are you a tad SLOWWWWWWWWWW??

..back to work you minion!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So you could at a glance determine if a fist full of 1c and 2c totaled up to 2.65?

For the THIRD time, I've suggested counting machines.

• Advertisement

Also watch out for the Canadian 2 dollar coin which is becoming more frequent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toonie_-_front.png

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Also watch out for the Canadian 2 dollar coin which is becoming more frequent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toonie_-_front.png

thanks for tip, must get myself some

Reform is as good as privatisation if it's done right, I'd be happy with that.

Didn't realise they take coppers, that madness.

I suppose given that the drivers can't count, they could replace the machines used now with counting machines that will ping when the relevant amount is in.

"Didn't realise they take coppers, that madness."
    That why i am answering questions tonight.

people posting on here dont have a clue what they are talking about.
    Ask a question and you will get a answer. no bull****.
    Will not answer any after midnight, so get them in.
    Drivers have nothing to hide, admittedly there are a few bad apples, but for the most part we are just like you.

Do you people ever feed this back to "management" or is your relationship so poor with them you don't bother?

Posy wrote: »
    I don't cycle (don't start me on cyclists!!) so may I ask how it is a better/safer thing for cyclists not to use cycle lanes? :o
    Will they be back on the footpaths? :confused:

Thing is some cyclist dont use the cycle lanes.
    Keep a eye out the next time you travel on a bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I would love to go and watch this Stheno character in work, just to see what he gets up to.

"Didn't realise they take coppers, that madness."
    That why i am answering questions tonight.

people posting on here dont have a clue what they are talking about.
    Ask a question and you will get a answer. no bull****.
    Will not answer any after midnight, so get them in.
    Drivers have nothing to hide, admittedly there are a few bad apples, but for the most part we are just like you.

No you are not just like me.

I don't advocate customers of my company commiting fraud to avail of my companies services for a start.

And even though I get "payed the same" I spend a lot of time and effort, and extra hours to make sure I give my customers the best service I can.

And yes, I work in the service industry.

People like you with your attitude really really feck me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Why do some bus drivers refuse to let on people flat out running for the bus when it takes all of 2 seconds? The bus stop outside Heuston has a set of traffic lights about three metres away. The light was red and the bus had just pulled away from the bus stop to wait at the lights. He still wouldn't let me on despite sitting parked at the lights for another few minutes. I had to wait another twenty minutes in the freezing cold.

Also, not sure if this happens in Dublin but it does elsewhere. Why do buses wait ages at certain stops? I've been on buses where the bus has parked up at a stop for twenty minutes. It's the same stop every time so I assume it's procedure.

Why do Dublin buses not give change? The rest of the country does.

But not while peeing going up the stairs? Couldn't figure that particular gem of a post from bobby out given the stairs are at least a good six feet from the driver cubicle.

Your post at least makes a bit of sense.

Someone should send this entire thread to Dublin Bus "management" to demonstrate how well their customer focused attitude is reflected by a member of their staff on the biggest message board in Ireland.

Makes a mockery of the good work they did in Swords last year where they'd an information stand, and some very nice staff from Dublin Bus spent time and effort answering queries from the public, I'd a very positive interaction with one of those staff, who took my query, followed it up and gave me a reasoned explanation.

Compare that to someone like bobby, who doesn't give a **** as in his own words, he still "gets payed the same" regardless of how he performs on the job, supports fare evasion, doesn't give people change if he can't count the fare and isn't asked, and generally can't be bothered.

I imagine its the same in every job. We all have horror/humour/insane stories. Its not a bad job but you do have to think on your feet. Others in higher positions will pass the buck down the us, but to be honest we carry upto 124 passengers so our answering has to be good if we put ourselves in that position.
    Bobby isnt bad, hes adopted the head down and weather the storm position to aggro and its causes. Managers like this. I will only speak to you if HQ hassles me.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I would love to go and watch this Stheno character in work, just to see what he gets up to.

Nothing major, but I don't advocate fraud against my company under any circumstance.

I get measured on my performance on a weekly basis and if I'm not up to scratch I'll get fired.

Bobby wouldn't last very long going by his posts.
    Bobby isnt bad, hes adopted the head down and weather the storm position to aggro and its causes. Managers like this. I will only speak to you if HQ hassles me.

So essentially you are saying the company is rotten to the core?

No performance management, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Cycle lanes: they're fine. But they're also full of traps that make cyclists have to swerve, like broken manhole covers, improperly patched broken surfaces, unpatched broken surfaces, potholes, broken glass.

Moving to the inside of buses, why are they so filthy? Passengers drop half-eaten sandwiches, soft drink cans, cigarette packets, packets full of chips and chewed burgers, and they're left there. (I've been in Japan, where drivers would a) not tolerate this and b) would immediately clean it up themselves, perhaps only removing their pristine white cotton gloves to do so.

And why are people allowed to smoke cigarettes, dope and crack at the back of buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Many a time I just long for a drink while I'm sat on a bus. So while you're waiting at traffic lights, how about you roll a trolley down the aisle, laden with beers, wines, snacks etc? Would keep the punters satisfied, and be an extra revenue earner for DB! And while waiting for someone to get change out of their purse, come round offering massages to us stressed passengers! And when we're getting off, provide us with hot towels to cleanse our hands and faces.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Why do some bus drivers refuse to let on people flat out running for the bus when it takes all of 2 seconds? The bus stop outside Heuston has a set of traffic lights about three metres away. The light was red and the bus had just pulled away from the bus stop to wait at the lights. He still wouldn't let me on despite sitting parked at the lights for another few minutes. I had to wait another twenty minutes in the freezing cold.

Also, not sure if this happens in Dublin but it does elsewhere. Why do buses wait ages at certain stops? I've been on buses where the bus has parked up at a stop for twenty minutes. It's the same stop every time so I assume it's procedure.

Why do Dublin buses not give change? The rest of the country does.
    The first. If a driver opens/closes the door inbetween stops and is witnessed by an official. Thursday manager meeting and a day in the training school the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

ViveLaVie wrote: »

on my route, having 3 buses arrive at the same time and then having a 20 or 30 minute wait for the next one is a frequent occurence, so I would like to see more buses waiting at stops to even out the time between them, there needs to be direction given to drivers from management to ensure there aren't 3 buses arriving at the same time, I'll not hold my breath though

The first. If a driver opens/closes the door inbetween stops and is witnessed by an official. Thursday manager meeting and a day in the training school the following week.

That's to do with insurance isn't it? Bus Eireann are the same, you can only allow passengers to embark/disembark at official stops?

Nothing major, but I don't advocate fraud against my company under any circumstance.

I get measured on my performance on a weekly basis and if I'm not up to scratch I'll get fired.

Bobby wouldn't last very long going by his posts.

So essentially you are saying the company is rotten to the core?

No performance management, etc?

Management dont have a passion for the trade anymore and this is passed down to many. Its top heavy with too many whos heart isnt in the high rank they occupy.

Management dont have a passion for the trade anymore and this is passed down to many. Its top heavy with too many whos heart isnt in the high rank they occupy.

Time for a change so.

Reading the posts tonight, it sounds like something from Stalinist Russia a lot of the time.

At least in my job I know how I'll be measured, I've performance incentives etc

Do you people ever feed this back to "management" or is your relationship so poor with them you don't bother?

They should see these coins in the collection points every morning.

They should see these coins in the collection points every morning.

But surely there is some system that you can use to feed back suggestions on how to improve things?

I've worked in two semi states and it was fairly horrific in each, very slow to move on, so I can understand a lot of what you are saying.

What's the estimated rate of fare evasion?

• Advertisement

delad wrote: »
    Why do so many bus drivers try to intimidate young people and foreigners?

Why are Dublin bus drivers incapable of smoothly slowing down to a stop and smoothly pulling away from a stop? How difficult is that to do?

Why aren't Dublin bus drivers considerate to elderly people and people with disabilities? Would it really kill you to wait until said people have been able to get to a seat and sit down before flooring it like a lunatic?

Young people act the maggot,
    Kid "i have no money"
    driver " you will have to get off the bus'
    kid "i have no money driver'
    Driver" Got to pay kid"
    Kid " But i have no money"
    driver' sorry you got to pay"
    kid" Heres your money F"ing Pr'k" money dropped in slot.
    On the rare occasion 1/100 the kid has no money you let him on with a stern warning that you will let him walk the next time. Have NEVER left a kid behind, know of no driver who has.

I have a lot of time for Foreigners, know what it is like to be on holiday and not speak the language.
    But will say some are challenging. They will get on, the first person in pigeon english will find out what the fare is and pay. Will then walk off and not tell there friends what the fare is, and you have to go trough the whole rigmarole again, with 10+ people.
    Come on turn around and tell your friend the fare in you language.

When slowing down or accelerating if you press the break just as the automatic gear box changes it will result in a jolt, nothing the driver can do.

trust me no driver wants a passenger fall, a lot of old people dont go straight to a seat they will stop and talk to someone they know.

Just watch next time you are on a bus.

Advertisement