Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver here, ask questions.

Options
  • 12-10-2012 6:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

reading this page for a while, what strikes me is the ignorance of how things really work.
    so for one night only all questions will be answered.
    fire away

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Why dont buses have wifi

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why dont buses have wifi

The new fleet that's being rolled out does, do you not read the news?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭bobby23

as far as i know wifi is been rolled out on the new GT class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Is your job stressing ? The reason i ask is because it is long hours driving constantly to and from the same location all day long.

zenno wrote: »
    Is your job stressing ? The reason i ask is because it is long hours driving constantly to and from the same location.

When you first start for a few months you are worried about having a accident, but every day you go without one you grow more confident. with that the stress lessens, and to be honest now it takes a lot and i mean a lot to get stressed out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

bobby23 wrote: »
    When you first start for a few months you are worried about having a accident, but every day you go without one you grow more confident. with that the stress lessens, and to be honest now it takes a lot and i mean a lot to get stressed out.

Thanks for the answer as i look at bus driving when i'm on the road myself driving and i always say to myself...it's one thing driving a small car but no way would i be able to drive that large bus through narrow roads all the time.

I have to hand it bus drivers though, it's a great skill to have to be able to master a large double decker bus in all sorts of crazy traffic. good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BALLHOPPER

Congrats to Dublin Bus Driver great stuff. Im an ex BE driver myself and its great to see that someone who knows something about the job on line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

How do you feel about sharing the buslane with cyclists?

What is the most annoying thing passengers do (from the driver's point of view) on a regular basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Ok i know this is nowt to do with you but I'd like your opinion. For me to get in and out of town I could pay a couple of hours parking.
    is there a reason that they're so expensive apart from the old overheads excuse? Would cheaper fares not attract more passengers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Why do drivers not automatically give you a change receipt, and get shirty when you ask for one?

I don't mean that to sound bitchy, but it's happened to me every one of the (occasional) times I've not had perfect change.

squod wrote: »
    How do you feel about sharing the buslane with cyclists?

Have nothing against cyclists, 80%+ are fine no problems.
    Dont mind sharing the bus lane with cyclists at all, when they stay close to the kerb.
    But the problems begin with the idiots who think they are pro cyclist and are going so fast, so they cycle in the middle of the bus lane holding up the bus, only going 30-40 kpm.
    It happens every day , morning or evening rush hour.
    Another thing that is a pain is not using the bike lane. Yet again the Lance Armstrong wanna bees believe they are so fast they are not causing a delay by cycling in the middle of the road.

What is the most annoying thing passengers do (from the driver's point of view) on a regular basis?

With out fail it is the idiot who gets on the bus first before everyone else and asks for a ticket and then starts looking for the money.
    In slow traffic you can see the crowd standing at the stop ,maybe 1 or 2 mins and the idiot still wont get the money ready.
    Maybe 1 minute to give them a ticket, when it should be no more than 5 seconds.
    This will happen at several stops, and it all adds up to late buses and passengers giving out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Have nothing against cyclists, 80%+ are fine no problems.
    Dont mind sharing the bus lane with cyclists at all, when they stay close to the kerb.
    But the problems begin with the idiots who think they are pro cyclist and are going so fast, so they cycle in the middle of the bus lane holding up the bus, only going 30-40 kpm.
    It happens every day , morning or evening rush hour.
    Another thing that is a pain is not using the bike lane. Yet again the Lance Armstrong wanna bees believe they are so fast they are not causing a delay by cycling in the middle of the road.

Can I show it from the other side? I don't like having big 15 tonne bus sail past me with inches to spare. I know most of you are decent drivers but there is the odd few who just are plain dangerous passing with no room to spare. I got cut up by a 46a near Belfield and had to replace a front wheel plus tyre because of it. That's why I'll sit 3-4ft from the kerb. I don't wear lycra either.

Cycle lanes, I'll use them where there good. Like along the canals.

samina wrote: »
    Ok i know this is nowt to do with you but I'd like your opinion. For me to get in and out of town I could pay a couple of hours parking.
    is there a reason that they're so expensive apart from the old overheads excuse? Would cheaper fares not attract more passengers?

When the cost of travel comes up in the canteen everyone agrees it is getting too expensive.
    Its like the Pubs who killed of their trade with price rises, people went elsewhere(off licence).
    The best thing would be a flat fare of €2.
    And loads of ticket inspectors with zero tolerance for fare evaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

samina wrote: »

There are some valid reasons:
    1) The government policy (although not stated) is to shift the burden of paying for public transport onto the customer by reducing the subsidy
    2) The government abolished the fuel duty rebate and unlike most other countries did not offer an alternative - this has massively increased fuel costs.

Have you looked at all the options? One or some of Leap card, Travel 90 10 Journey ticket, Dublin Bus 3, 5, and 30 Day rambler tickets (non-consecutive days over an 18 month period) all offer discounts of some form over cash fares which so many people don't bother investigating and still insist on paying cash.

Check out the links below for the prices.
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Leapcard/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Why do some of your drivers let smelly fcukers like the small grey haired guy with the funny walk onto busses? (you probably know of that guy, been known to take a sh!t on the bus)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

With out fail it is the idiot who gets on the bus first before everyone else and asks for a ticket and then starts looking for the money.
    In slow traffic you can see the crowd standing at the stop ,maybe 1 or 2 mins and the idiot still wont get the money ready.
    Maybe 1 minute to give them a ticket, when it should be no more than 5 seconds.
    This will happen at several stops, and it all adds up to late buses and passengers giving out to me.
    These people should but sent to the gulags!!

The other week someone gets on in front of me, she'd been standing at the bus stop as long as I had, and it was only when she actually got on the ****ing bus that she decided it may be time to open up the aul handbag to find her leap card, with a queue of people behind us. Absolute twat.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Why do drivers not automatically give you a change receipt, and get shirty when you ask for one?

I don't mean that to sound bitchy, but it's happened to me every one of the (occasional) times I've not had perfect change.

Fact is a lot of people dont wait or want them.
    Look at the drivers position when he is working the ticket machine, most likely left hand extended to the machine, his left arm will block a lot of his view of the money in the slot.
    When you put in a €2 coin i hear a solid clunk, i know from experience its a €2 coin, person says 1.90 i give them ticket and then press 3 buttons to give change.
    if you throw in a handful of coins i just assume it is the correct fare.
    At the end of the day i get payed the same wage, nothing extra for not giving not change tickets.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Can I show it from the other side? I don't like having big 15 tonne bus sail past me with inches to spare. I know most of you are decent drivers but there is the odd few who just are plain dangerous passing with no room to spare. I got cut up by a 46a near Belfield and had to replace a front wheel plus tyre because of it. That's why I'll sit 3-4ft from the kerb. I don't wear lycra either.

Cycle lanes, I'll use them where there good. Like along the canals.

There is a cycle lane the full length of the stillorgan dual carriage way.
    Use it.
    When we are in the training school we are told just because there is a Bus lane it dont mean you are to race down it. As long as you are making steady progress the lane is serving its purpose.
    Bike lane is no different, you dont have to race along it, just make steady safe progress and get home in one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

Can you say when was someone last prosecuted for smoking on the bus ?
    What action would you take if you saw some one smoking--would you challenge them --are you discouraged by company from confronting smokers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Hi Bobby Will you tell me what number bus I can get tomorrow from City centre to City West Hotel & where is the pick up & how much is the fare. I am from the country and dont know the system at all. Will the buses be running when the DARTS are over at 10.30pm. Thanks a mill. Really need help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There is a cycle lane the full length of the stillorgan dual carriage way.
    Use it.
    When we are in the training school we are told just because there is a Bus lane it dont mean you are to race down it. As long as you are making steady progress the lane is serving its purpose.
    Bike lane is no different, you dont have to race along it, just make steady safe progress and get home in one piece.

Cycle lane is one with the bus lane just towards town from belfield. 46A racing to the bus stop, cuts me off, I clip a massive pothole which wrecks a tyre and a front wheel, cost me 60 quid to put right. I was in a cycle lane at the time, but I use a bit more space after that incident.

I'll use a cycle lane where they're safe to and only then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

hillbloom wrote: »
    Hi Bobby Will you tell me what number bus I can get tomorrow from City centre to City West Hotel & where is the pick up & how much is the fare. I am from the country and dont know the system at all. Will the buses be running when the DARTS are over at 10.30pm. Thanks a mill. Really need help!!
    You could just get a Luas from Abbey St to Saggart, €4.50 return for an adult, will bring you right there with just a short walk. I don't know of a bus you could get from town that would bring you straight to the hotel, only the industrial estate which would be a fair walk away.

Buses run until around 11.30pm, Luas a little later at the weekend afaik.

Alternatively, just use www.dublinbus.ie to plan a route, it has all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

How do you flag down a bus at the designated stop, in the country, in the dark mornings, with no public lighting. My daughters often have the bus drive past them, even if they wave their lit-up phones, and sometimes they take a torch, but the bus does not always stop for them.

GRMA wrote: »
    Why do some of your drivers let smelly fcukers like the small grey haired guy with the funny walk onto busses? (you probably know of that guy, been known to take a sh!t on the bus)

A few years ago in dublin bus passengers became customers. As we know the customer is always right.
    Believe it or not, any complaint sent in about a driver is taken as Gospel, it wont be the homeless smelly passenger complaining, but some old bat with nothing better to do.
    Driver will be draged over the coals and might get a sent back to the training school.
    So for a easy life let them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Hi Bobby,
    Just wondering if you could tell me what is the student discount on the monthly tickets? Can't find any information on the website on the reduction.
    I get the bus around 40 times a month and am trying to figure out the cheapest way to travel.
    Thanks

How many stages? I've recently written down the different costs of student tickets but it all depends on how much leap or cash would be

twogunkid wrote: »
    Can you say when was someone last prosecuted for smoking on the bus ?
    What action would you take if you saw some one smoking--would you challenge them --are you discouraged by company from confronting smokers ?

No idea about smoking prosecution.

Im no hero, dont want any aggro. This driver hears no evil, see no evil.
    Dublin Bus will throw driver to the wolves if anything goes wrong. So we dont get involved.
    If passenger comes to me to complain about smoking, company procedure is to announce on intercom "No smoking allowed on dublin bus".
    If they continue to smoke and passenger still complains tell them you will do something as soon as they get of bus. "If i do anything now, The smoker will know it was you who complained, and he might have a go at you, best that you are not here if they go mad".
    With out fail the complainer gets off at their stop "Thanks driver, didnt think of that".
    Bus continues on its way. Repeat if there is another complainer.
    Alternative is to call Guards, could be waiting 30 minutes, most likely smoker long gone.
    Passengers angry at me for delay.
    Dont want hassel

hillbloom wrote: »

Dont drive bus to City west.
    Like asking Mcdonalds worker about Burger King, Dont know anything about it.
    sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Is the 'no smoking' announcement automatic, like linked to smoke alarms, or do you cause it to happen?
    Would you rather passengers say thanks or is it a waste of breath on our part? :o

Advertisement