Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver here, ask questions.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭bobby23

My pet hate when driving buses (manuals - not cushy autos) was the "driver's friend" - those annoying men who think they are doing a service by standing beside you and talking shite. :rolleyes:

Do your head in.
    How do you get rid of them without offending?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

bobby23 wrote: »
    Honestly have no idea,
    As far as i know they are not operated by dublin bus.
    Believe its the NTA. More jobs for the boys.

One explanation is that they disappear briefly from the AVLC/RTPI when there is a driver change as they rely on the driver's module being in the ticket machine and signed on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Put it this way. Every driver out of the training school does everything by the book.
    We all start off enforcing the rules, but when someone complains about a driver the management will always take the side of the complainer and reprimand the driver.
    Eg. Passenger had a invalid ticket.
    Told him it was invalid, and he would have to pay. Passenger blew a fuse.
    Eventually passenger payed and on we went.
    1 week later boss wanted to see me, had a complaint letter. The passenger who i made buy a ticket wrote in to say "he had never evaded paying for a fare in his life", and was made to pay for a ticket by me. He was offended that i would not let him travel for free!!!!
    And as a regular customer of dublin bus he demanded i be sacked!! (for doing my job).
    anyway boss was not happy with me" I should be sensitive to the mental state of our customers and not upset them".
    i Was given a verbal warning not to upset customers.
    Every driver can give you a similar story.
    So what would you do? How would you behave?
    Well so far you've admitted you don't check that people are owed change, advocated fare evasion and constantly suggested it's the fault of cyclists anytime they are cut up by busses.
    Says an awful lot about your attitude.

What route do you cover so I can avoid it?

Scortho wrote: »
    Why does Dublin bus have 3 66x's passing through Leixlip around 8am and only one through Celbridge?
    Rarely able to get on the 8am bus at the bridge in Celbridge but can get on a half empty 66x at the roundabout before the N4 in Leixlip
    And if you don't know the answer, who can I complain too?

Other than that its a great service and the student tickets make it really cheap for me!;)
    Best bus has to be the later ones home after 10 as the driver finally discovers where his accelerator is.....

Have no answer.
    Ring The depot , and make a nuisance of your self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Good work bobby thanks coming on and being honest it's great to get the other side of the coin. On the topic of cyclists. I get the 66x home every evening and there is a guy on a bike holding up all the buses from beyond the inchi core turn off its amazing because it is the same guy every time and for a passenger it is the most frustrating thing to watch so I can only imagine how the driver feels
    In response to the guy complaining about the buses through leixlip I would imagine it has the do with the fact in leixlip there are almost 20,000 people and combine that with the population of maynooth it probably justifies the extra buses

• Advertisement

haro124 wrote: »
    Do you think its stupid when the coin machine isnt working and they let people on 4 free ????
    Do you think ther should be buses all night ???

Either let them on for free or dont carry them?

Out side of the main bus corridors, the service after 9 carries only a handfull of people. No need for all night bus service

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    I like the question about destination vs. fare. When I was using cash I'd throw in and say how much, but leap makes that different and slower Also, regularly have an issue with the bus machine charging from say stage 29 to town instead of 28

I always just say the destination with the Leap card as I honestly don't know how to work out the fares due to the stage system being so messy. If I recall correctly, Dublin Bus themselves say to specify the destination rather than the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just give them a little wave, say bye.
    Cost nothing to be nice

Thanks just wanted ask as there was a thread in AH not so long ago talking about saying thanks to the bus driver and some posters wondered if it was in fact annoying to the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 countrymouse89

lxflyer wrote: »

Thanks... somehow managed to miss that page in all my confusion!

Do bus inspectors exist anymore? I have gotten the bus for years without them.

Also my friends have said they have given fake addresses and gotten away with it. Do they actually check the address while they are on the bus? Can you bluff your way out of a ticket.

Yes they exist, they usually Blitz a route for a few day then move on to another route.

• Advertisement

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    I like the question about destination vs. fare. When I was using cash I'd throw in and say how much, but leap makes that different and slower Also, regularly have an issue with the bus machine charging from say stage 29 to town instead of 28

driver forgot to update stages, it happens.
    will be automatic soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Put it this way. Every driver out of the training school does everything by the book.
    We all start off enforcing the rules, but when someone complains about a driver the management will always take the side of the complainer and reprimand the driver.
    Eg. Passenger had a invalid ticket.
    Told him it was invalid, and he would have to pay. Passenger blew a fuse.
    Eventually passenger payed and on we went.
    1 week later boss wanted to see me, had a complaint letter. The passenger who i made buy a ticket wrote in to say "he had never evaded paying for a fare in his life", and was made to pay for a ticket by me. He was offended that i would not let him travel for free!!!!
    And as a regular customer of dublin bus he demanded i be sacked!! (for doing my job).
    anyway boss was not happy with me" I should be sensitive to the mental state of our customers and not upset them".
    i Was given a verbal warning not to upset customers.
    Every driver can give you a similar story.
    So what would you do? How would you behave?

Had a look at the Dublin Bus Facebook page a while ago! some of the complaints about drivers are ridiculous.

One explanation is that they disappear briefly from the AVLC/RTPI when there is a driver change as they rely on the driver's module being in the ticket machine and signed on.

Drivers dont have a module any more.
    you just type in your ID and shift details.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Drivers dont have a module any more.
    you just type in your ID and shift details.

Fair point - but the real point answering the question is that when you sign off the bus does temporarily vanish from AVLC/RTPI until the next driver signs on.

The system relies on the driver being signed on to work - hence buses can vanish and reappear.

Stheno wrote: »
    Well so far you've admitted you don't check that people are owed change, advocated fare evasion and constantly suggested it's the fault of cyclists anytime they are cut up by busses.
    Says an awful lot about your attitude.

What route do you cover so I can avoid it?

Would have to be Rain man to check change in slot.
    Fare evasion is rampant, what i think dont mean a thing.
    Do cyclist have to pass any type of test to get on the road?
    i am in the best of health, not a worry in the world, how many people can say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bobby - have DB drivers been made aware that the requirement of cyclists to use cycle lanes where provided is due to be revoked soon by Minister Varadkar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Is there always a bus stop at every stage? I thought so but am now convinced there's a 'phantom' stage straight after Heuston before Con Colbert Road, maybe a throwback to an old long since removed stop - or can there be a stage without a bus stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Have you ever considered playing music on the buses at certain times of the day eg 7.30am on Monday Boontown Rats - I don't like Mondays, or the Bangles Manic Monday and for Friday evenings at 5.00 ish something upbeat

Bobby - have DB drivers been made aware that the requirement of cyclists to use cycle lanes where provided is due to be revoked soon by Minister Varadkar?

news to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Fair point - but the real point answering the question is that when you sign off the bus does temporarily vanish from AVLC/RTPI until the next driver signs on.

The system relies on the driver being signed on to work - hence buses can vanish and reappear

Interesting, thanks Lxflyer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fare evasion is rampant, what i thing dont mean a thing.
    i am in the best of heath, no a worry in the world, how many people can say that?

So basically you are unable to do one element of your job checking fares?

All of your posts basically support shutting down Dublin Bus and privatising it.
    Getting rid of people who are overpaid for not carrying out basic elements of their job (such as you), and encourage fare evasion would be a start.

Have no answer.
    Ring The depot , and make a nuisance of your self.
    ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Good work bobby thanks coming on and being honest it's great to get the other side of the coin. On the topic of cyclists. I get the 66x home every evening and there is a guy on a bike holding up all the buses from beyond the inchi core turn off its amazing because it is the same guy every time and for a passenger it is the most frustrating thing to watch so I can only imagine how the driver feels
    In response to the guy complaining about the buses through leixlip I would imagine it has the do with the fact in leixlip there are almost 20,000 people and combine that with the population of maynooth it probably justifies the extra buses

Im not trying to be a nuisance.
    Apparently Celbridge has a population of 19,537 compared to Leixlips population of 15,452.....if Wikipedia is to be believed!:rolleyes:

My point was basically that every morning at that stop before joining the N4 any 66x will have a lot of empty seats, while on most days the 67x will be full before the bridge in Celbridge and drives by people at the stops all along the Dublin Road. Even the drivers moan about it at this stage as they know people now have to wait for a half an hour for the next bus!

What I've resorted to doing is hopping on a normal 67 and hopping off before the N4 and onto a 66x.
    Drivers of the 67 always give me a puzzled look!

So basically you are unable to do one element of your job checking fares?

All of your posts basically support shutting down Dublin Bus and privatising it.
    Getting rid of people who are overpaid for not carrying out basic elements of their job (such as you), and encourage fare evasion would be a start.

It's a catch 22, from what he said, if he enforces the rules then some moany passenger will drag him over the coals to his boss. Which is wrong, completely. Why teach a driver the rules if they'll later be grilled for enforcing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Do bus drivers ever notice that someone is smoking on the bus?
    Do they care?
    Can they do anything about it?

I often see people do it, together with alcohol and illegal drugs even and only once in a while does the bus driver actually spam the "smoking is illegal..." message, which actually works like a charm but still I would love to once in a while see Garda getting hold of the more out right bad passengers.

Fare evasion is rampant, what i thing dont mean a thing.
    i am in the best of heath, no a worry in the world, how many people can say that?

Is there no actual coin counting machine?
    SO I could just throw in a fistful of 10c and be on my merry way without having paid the full fair?

Karsini wrote: »
    It's a catch 22, from what he said, if he enforces the rules then some moany passenger will drag him over the coals to his boss. Which is wrong, completely. Why teach a driver the rules if they'll later be grilled for enforcing them?

Why come on a public forum, endorse fare evasion, admit you can't count which is required as part of your job, don't give people refunds they are entitled to, ignore or blame other road users for issues, and then blame management for everything to do with customers?

Seriously I think his attitude is pathetic, and given how strong the CIE unions are, it's probably part of what fosters this "management will get me/doesn't matter how I behave on fare evasion" attitude.

Kurooi wrote: »
    Do bus drivers ever notice that someone is smoking on the bus?
    Do they care?
    Can they do anything about it?

I often see people do it, together with alcohol and illegal drugs even and only once in a while does the bus driver actually spam the "smoking is illegal..." message, which actually works like a charm but still I would love to once in a while see Garda getting hold of the more out right bad passengers.

My personal experience is that I've only seen it once, on a 78A several years back, the driver stopped the bus in Inchicore, went upstairs and told off some lads upstairs at the back. Me personally, I'd be afraid they'd knife me if I tried...

I was also on a bus a few years ago where a passenger tried to board, refused to show his travel pass, then got aggressive when the driver refused him entry, Had to wait about 5 minutes for the Gardai from Ballyfermot to come and take him away.

Why come on a public forum, endorse fare evasion, admit you can't count which is required as part of your job, don't give people refunds they are entitled to, ignore or blame other road users for issues, and then blame management for everything to do with customers?

Seriously I think his attitude is pathetic, and given how strong the CIE unions are, it's probably part of what fosters this "management will get me/doesn't matter how I behave on fare evasion" attitude.

I'm not saying it's right, just that I can see where he's coming from. I don't agree with the travel pass remark though.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Is there always a bus stop at every stage? I thought so but am now convinced there's a 'phantom' stage straight after Heuston before Con Colbert Road, maybe a throwback to an old long since removed stop - or can there be a stage without a bus stop?

Stages are a mystery even to drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Scortho wrote: »
    Im not trying to be a nuisance.
    Apparently Celbridge has a population of 19,537 compared to Leixlips population of 15,452.....if Wikipedia is to be believed!:rolleyes:

My point was basically that every morning at that stop before joining the N4 any 66x will have a lot of empty seats, while on most days the 67x will be full before the bridge in Celbridge and drives by people at the stops all along the Dublin Road. Even the drivers moan about it at this stage as they know people now have to wait for a half an hour for the next bus!

What I've resorted to doing is hopping on a normal 67 and hopping off before the N4 and onto a 66x.
    Drivers of the 67 always give me a puzzled look!

Wikipedia is wrong unfortunately far more in leixlip and as mentioned the maynooth customers combined full up the seats. I get the 740 x and it is almost full in leixlip village. I think this is due to reduced carriages on the trains

Advertisement