Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Options
  • 05-10-2012 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Today bought Tesco tomato sauce for 80 cent,yesterday supervalu own brand flower for about e1.50 (odlums nearly twice this) ,I don't know if the flower will make nice pastry or not,nor the sauce nice sandwiches. Is it just a different packaging?.

I'd like to others experiences and recommendations as to what is good and what is bad in this 'range'.

I'll set the ball rolling, there's a pasta sauce in Tesco for about 82 cent,full jar which I think is good,own brand milks I think are fine,as are nice price tesco tea bags.

So who's next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Freiheit wrote: »
    Today bought Tesco tomato sauce for 80 cent,yesterday supervalu own brand flower for about e1.50 (odlums nearly twice this) ,I don't know if the flower will make nice pastry or not,nor the sauce nice sandwiches. Is it just a different packaging?.

I'd like to others experiences and recommendations as to what is good and what is bad in this 'range'.

I'll set the ball rolling, there's a pasta sauce in Tesco for about 82 cent,full jar which I think is good,own brand milks I think are fine,as are nice price tesco tea bags.

So who's next?

I wouldnt be one for making pastry with a flower.....id prefer to use flour...

Anyhoo -M&S cookies...by far the best cookies money can buy and relatively cheap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

ALDI corn flakes are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

podge018 wrote: »
    ALDI corn flakes are spot on.

So are Lidl ones,they changed their recipe recently.Wouldn't eat them before but the new recipe ones are grand (and cheap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Tesco Roasted Salted Penuts. Half the price of the main brands and superior in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Lidl 'Freeway' Diet Coke is the exact same as the original...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I work in Superquinn and they have 3 ranges of own brand stuff. Essentials is basically the budget stuff although there are a few gems in there such as the very nice strawberry jam for 79c. A lot of the old euroshopper items have moved over to this and the cookies and the milk are pretty good too for a fair whack less than the brands. Then there are just "Superquinn" branded and these would be close to the brands in terms of quality with a bit knocked off the price, the pasta I get good mileage out of, bigger bag than the "Roma" ones and very good quality, even though there is an essentials variant I choose it over. The ready meals for the most part are good too. So ultimately if you are on a budget the essentials are grand and you get plenty of bang for your buck in terms of quality for the price, the Superquinn branded things are as close as you are going to come to branded without being branded and generally are more generous with the portions than the brands.

They brought in an "SQ" range a while ago which was to take on the brands and are quite expensive but the very highest quality, not sure if there's many still knocking about as I don't think they were that much of a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tesco own brand pink and white marshmallows, very yummy.

Infact most of their packets of their own brand sweets are as good as the branded ones and half the price.

Aldi rock shandy in 2l is excellent too, made by Gleesons in Tipp

Aldi Onion Rings made by Tayto people, very good 99c for 6 pack

Aldi have german ham in a yellow and clear packet - 100g for €1.29 always very lean and really tasty

Aldi Summer Fruits and Autumn Fruits jam is gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Lidl Weetabix is as good as the branded weetabix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Aldi beef burgers are great. Find them much tastier than Big Al's/Birdseye.

Aldi beef burgers are great. Find them much tastier than Big Al's/Birdseye.

Which ones - Moorehead or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

vicwatson wrote: »
    Which ones - Moorehead or something like that?

Oakhurst I think but not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wolfeye wrote: »

don't agree - they ("Bixies") disintegrate and turn to mush much quicker than the real ones.

Cereals is one area Lidl falls down on compared to Tesco. Tesco's own brand cereals are all grand - they have equivalents of Weetabix, Shreddies, Cheerios - the lot, and unlike Lidl they do have the added vitamins etc.

Lidl's "Alfredo" frozen pizzas are quite nice (as frozen pizzas go) - similar to Dr Oetker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Lidl marmalade. Wouldn't use any other

• Registered Users Posts: 9,916 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Dog swears by the Tesco Value (or whatever it's rebranded as these days) Complete Dog Food. If I give her Lidl, Aldi, Pedigree etc she picks out the ones she doesn't like and dumps them all over the floor. She devours every one of the Tesco stuff. She also prefers the Small Bite Biscuit Bone Selection to Winalot etc.

And no, my dog is not a shill for Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Tesco brand Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes are just as moreish as Kelloggs, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I will 2nd LIDL Weetabix probably better then the original
    Any own brand Milk it taste all the same to me
    Dunnes own brand Beans and Peas
    St Bernard Chicken Curry for 1.49 is fab

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wolfeye wrote: »
    The trick is to wait until weetabix is on really special offer and stock up At times its within a few cent of the Lidl/Tesco generics price.

Lidl
    500ml Yoghurts are nice natural , fruit of the forest, peach
    pineapple juice

aldi
    orange juice
    milk
    ardagh is far better than centra's own brand
    american style deep pan pizzas

Generics
    salted peanuts - anyone got tips on how to clean off the salt ?
    kidney beans - you have to wash them to get rid of the smell, and they don't taste of much , but great filler for burritos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Dunnes own brand sausages are the nicest of the lot in my opinion, not the "simply" ones or whatever, the cheapest ones. Also the bottles of bleach they sell for 69c, and generally all other cleaning stuff. 65c cent loafs of budget bread are good too, as good as Brennan's which is around three times the price.

Clontarf 1014 whiskey from Aldi is decent too, as is their tea bags. Thought I'm not sure if "produced for" and "own brand" are the same thing. I can't see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Lidl's Ardsallagh Sausages are great. They're made by Olhausen.
    Also their Balti Curry sauce is one of the nicest I've tasted in any brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Supervalu weetabix is useless, stay away from it.
    Tesco weetabix and normal weetabix, I believe are the same thing.
    lookout for the 24 pack of tesco weetabix as it is normally cheaper per block to buy these packets.

as for burgers, buy the own brand stuff from any shop as they will have more % of cow than any of the birdseye or big als patties.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Aldi's 'weetabix' are as good as the branded one. I have 2 most mornings. I didn't like the lidl ones when I tried them.

Supervalu's 'cornflakes' are excellent too. Got a good review here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0410/1224314565135.html

I also have a soft spot for supervalu's breaded fish. Very nice and a fraction of the price of donegal catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fishman11

aldi seville orange marmalade love it best One out there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CH3OH

bennyob wrote: »
    I also have a soft spot for supervalu's breaded fish. Very nice and a fraction of the price of donegal catch.

I actually think it is made by Donegal catch for Supervalu
    As far as I can remember the EU plant codes are the same on the packaging for both products. (I was looking at breaded whiting recently)

Here's link to the food safety authority website where all the plants are listed
    http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/approved_food_establishments.html

For example: Tesco own brand milk and fresh cream have a plant code of 1403 on the lid. Tesco try to hide the info by not having a distinct plant code label on the product. They have a note "see lid"

1403 from "Milk and Dairy establishments..." spreadsheet is Glanbia so the milk and cream is (imho) the same as Avonmore

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Supervalu daily basics Jaffa cakes are by far my fav jaffa cake....Dark choc and soft sponge and only 89 cent for 300g (2x12)!

Stay well away supervalu own brand peanuts, dry roasted or salted, theyre absolute scour

CH3OH wrote: »

For example: Tesco own brand milk and fresh cream have a plant code of 1403 on the lid. Tesco try to hide the info by not having a distinct plant code label on the product. They have a note "see lid"

1403 from "Milk and Dairy establishments..." spreadsheet is Glanbia so the milk and cream is (imho) the same as Avonmore

It is defintely from Avonmore as i had a complaint before and had to complain to Avonmore

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I bought the Tesco Everyday peanut butter once as it was a tenth the price of the Panda one I normally get, 39c. I preferred the taste of it.

Now its twice that at 78c, still great value though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tesco value bran flakes are nicer than kellogs imo. the value chips are lovely as well. i agree with a previous poster about the freeway colam its very nice. the supervalu own brand butter is lovely and the daily basic pan is very nice
    the list goes on

Advertisement