Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Adyx wrote: »
    No you don't . It's the APN settings you should check. For what it's worth mine is set to Vodafone IE-ISP and my data connection works fine.

Probably mentioned elsewhere but if you're on pay as you go then might want to use Vodafone IE (live.vodafone.com) rather than Vodafone IE_ISP (ispvodafone.ie). If you have a pay as you go data bundle then you will not be charged when going via the former but will be via the latter. I discovered this the hard way when I installed Cyanogenmod 7.2 on my Vodafone Smart 858/Huawei U8160 and it defaulted to ispvodafone.ie and my credit was "mysteriously" disappearing. :o

This app may also be of use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.vodafone.handsetsettings

strongback wrote: »
    I have installed Opera Mobile and the RTE Player isn't working.

What Flash App did you install?

The Adobe Flash app has been withdrawn by Adobe.
    You can still find the APKs online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Have to say, rooting is great. Just got the AdFree App, which is quality. And free :D

Can I remove the .zip files from my SD after flashing everything? Just asking as my brother got the G300 today, but he only has a 4gb micro SD card. Or even, if I use that card to flash everything and he buys a newer/bigger SD card, can he just swap them, and the newer ROM will still be okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

eamon234 wrote: »
    S... the OTA from Vodafone which I hear is coming within a few days.

Any further info on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Can I remove the .zip files from my SD after flashing everything? Just asking as my brother got the G300 today, but he only has a 4gb micro SD card. Or even, if I use that card to flash everything and he buys a newer/bigger SD card, can he just swap them, and the newer ROM will still be okay?

Yes you can remove the zip files. I keep mine on the pc.
    Once the rom is loaded you can remove them.
    You can copy the contents of the card to a pc & then move them to a larger card later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Adyx wrote: »
    If you had ever installed it it will still show in your apps on Google Play. If you can't find it, let me know.

I can't see Flash in the Play Store. The phone is new, a Huawei Ascend, and the RTE Player says it doesn't have Flash.

Flash for Android can be downloaded from the Adobe website supporting up to 4.0 ICS. I haven't tried to download. Does the phone have to be rooted to do this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

strongback wrote: »
    I can't see Flash in the Play Store. The phone is new, a Huawei Ascend, and the RTE Player says it doesn't have Flash.

Flash for Android can be downloaded from the Adobe website supporting up to 4.0 ICS. I haven't tried to download. Does the phone have to be rooted to do this?

Legit file i made myself, original and latest build of flash player :)

https://rapidshare.com/files/1884078054/com.adobe.flashplayer_111111016.rar

^ you need to enable "unknown sources" in Security/Settings....to allow install of .apk files not downloaded direct from google play store :)
    No rooting required.

Anybody using this phone with Three?

I think I may unlock my phone and swap network to either Three or Meteor.

With Vodafone now, it's €30 for 500mb internet, but 3 has the whole unlimited data thing for €20 a month. Meteor is €20 and 250mb of internet and o2 is like similar to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I'm using this phone with Vodafone but just to warn you I switched to 3 last year when they started their unlimited offer and the coverage was rubbish. I almost constantly had no signal at all for calls or data.
    I lasted a month before switching back to Vodafone. It might be worth getting your hands on a 3 sim and seeing what the coverage is like where you are before you go to the hassle of porting your number.

• Advertisement

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I'm using this phone with Vodafone but just to warn you I switched to 3 last year when they started their unlimited offer and the coverage was rubbish. I almost constantly had no signal at all for calls or data.
    I lasted a month before switching back to Vodafone. It might be worth getting your hands on a 3 sim and seeing what the coverage is like where you are before you go to the hassle of porting your number.

Yeah, good shout.

Is it true 3 don't allow you to tether/personal hotspot?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭wackojacko

Anybody using this phone with Three?

I think I may unlock my phone and swap network to either Three or Meteor.

With Vodafone now, it's €30 for 500mb internet, but 3 has the whole unlimited data thing for €20 a month. Meteor is €20 and 250mb of internet and o2 is like similar to Vodafone.

I switched to 3. Data download v good. I have been using viber for most calls and its good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

*dim bulb alert*

Right now I have 18 euros still on my o2 account. If I buy this phone via the vodafone online process, will I lose my account funds, even if I switch back to o2 asap?

I did order the Tesco sim and have it here but when I input the number into the site, to get the 20 euros off, I realized I wouldn't be able to access the 'security code' they send as I don't have it in any phone (duuuuuuh).

If you port your O2 number to Vodafone then I imagine that you'll lose any outstanding O2 credit. Can you not get a (lend of) an unlocked phone somewhere to stick the Tesco SIM in and get the Vodafone security code in order to proceed with the €20 discounted purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Bobsammy wrote: »

I use 3 and find the coverage pretty decent. Although I'm mainly in Dublin so it may be different in other parts of the country.

But it is good advice to pick up a 3 sim and see how you get on before committing to port your number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I didn't need to put the sim in a phone. I simply went into a vodafone shop, and told them the number of the sim. They didn't send a code to the phone or anything. You could stick a spare O2 sim in your phone while your in the Vodafone shop if its an issue.

Thanks Bob. I think I better just go into the shop instead of buying online. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

recieved phone today from vodafone repair centre.with latest firmware.unfortunately its 2.3.6 ,not ics.so my guess it will be atleast week before update

Thanks for your time and the suggestion TM, I missed it somehow.

I am going into town tomorrow and planning to bring my Tesco sim and hope that's enough to get the discount as I don't want to lose my o2 funds yet.

Ah, wouldn't you know it: I went into vodofone today and the price has gone up to 149.00...booooo!

• Advertisement

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Ah, wouldn't you know it: I went into vodofone today and the price has gone up to 149.00...booooo!
    I thought that it was €149 for a while now? Certainly mentioned here recently:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80479119&postcount=460

You can reduce the effective price by porting a number from another provider (-€20) and maybe using the likes of BeThrifty (€-12.50 - in my experience it can take a while to get the money back) or FatCheese (-€10?). Anybody know of any other tips for reducing the effective price?

Apologies: I must have missed it.

I'm seeing it at €129.99 on their website:

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

With €20 off for porting another provider's number and €12.50 from BeThrifty that means you should be able to get it for a net €97.49?

WTF!!! Just changed to €149.99? Is anybody seeing it for €129.99? I cleared my cookies etc. just in case it adjusts the price based on other activity on their site...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Technique

Still £100 with Vodafone UK.

Am seeing it for €129.99 again. Not sure why. But it seems to suggest that it's possible to get it for under €100 with the discounts mentioned above (and elsewhere).

Ah, nice try. I too saw it for 129 still last night online and then went in and saw the 149.

Your link comes out as 149 for me.

I opened another browser and it came up at €129.99. I even clicked through BeThrifty and same price. Don't know what's going on but it seems possible to get it for €129.99 so maybe play around with different browsers, deleting Vodafone cookies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I did order the Tesco sim and have it here but when I input the number into the site, to get the 20 euros off, I realized I wouldn't be able to access the 'security code' they send as I don't have it in any phone (duuuuuuh).

I know it's too late for you for this but if it helps anybody else... Your Tesco mobile Sim should work in an O2 locked phone... It did for me anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

can i skip the b893 update and jump straight to ics when it comes out?
    thanks

• Advertisement

TM wrote: »
    I opened another browser and it came up at €129.99. I even clicked through BeThrifty and same price. Don't know what's going on but it seems possible to get it for €129.99 so maybe play around with different browsers, deleting Vodafone cookies etc.

What category did you find it in?

I am looking under 'phones and Broadband' and 'mobiles' and am not sure how to find it....? (I am on Bethrifty, just registered.

Advertisement