Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭zg3409

For Saorview they recommend a rooftop aerial professionally installed.In internal aerial is better than an aerial that is "missing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Just after getting the Triax TSC114 installed today, haven't really had time to 'test drive' it yet.
    One quick question, what's the best type of USB key to get (size wise) for recording etc? Or is it better to get a hard drive instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

A separately powered hard drive is better as USB keys are not intended for continuous re-writing. Allow at least 4 gigs / hour of HD content

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

A separately powered hard drive is better as USB keys are not intended for continuous re-writing. Allow at least 4 gigs / hour of HD content

+1

USB powered external HDD may/may not work depending on the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

heffo500 wrote: »
    I tried the HDMI with my ps3 and it works fine so I plugged the box into my full hd samsung an it came and and the resolution was 1280 * 720 that box was sending out and it still resulted in a black screen. Could it be a faulty hdmi output on the box?

My replacement box has started to show the same problem just now. How can this be surely I would not get two faulty receivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 niamhyd

Hi I recently changed from Sky+ to a the Triax TSC114 and have a couple of questions related to recording that I can't seem to find the answer to.
    1/ While I have one program recording how can I watch a previously recorded program at the same time - Record Manager doesn't work !
    2/ If I've watched half a recorded program and press stop, when I go back into the recording it has gone back to the beginning !! How can I watch the program from where I left off previously ?

Any help appreciated ��

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

niamhyd wrote: »
    Hi I recently changed from Sky+ to a the Triax TSC114 and have a couple of questions related to recording that I can't seem to find the answer to.
    1/ While I have one program recording how can I watch a previously recorded program at the same time - Record Manager doesn't work !
    2/ If I've watched half a recorded program and press stop, when I go back into the recording it has gone back to the beginning !! How can I watch the program from where I left off previously ?

Any help appreciated ��

no1 you cant

no2 you cant

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Hi all,

any chance anyone could give me the outline on channel changing. .

basically, i'm sure im not the only one, with having to wire up soarview tvs for 2 separate elderly people.

my uncle as had what most of us had for years and years. .
    1 rte 1
    2 rte 2
    3 bbc 1
    4 bbc 2
    5 utv
    6 ch 4.

and thats it. . . . so it was one remote and flick flick and flick..
    simple. . my mother also needs one, and im hoping to give her back the bbc's she lost 20 yrs ago. .

so in order to get the satellite and saorview ive no option but a combi tv or box. . as walker are the only ones doing the tv and no mention of when its coming (promised 2 weeks every 2 weeks) (not to mention software issues). . . im thinking one of these boxes on his telly. .

so tell me. . . . he/she switches on his telly, then switches on this box..

now. . if its fed via hdmi or scart. . . what happens next. .
    is RTE 1 automatically up first? and how to change to BBC 1 or UTV. .

im sure he wont need the tv remote, possibly just to switch the tv on . .

ill be setting it up/ tech stuff. . not an issue. .

would appreciate help

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

heffo500 wrote: »
    My replacement box has started to show the same problem just now. How can this be surely I would not get two faulty receivers?

Could be a faulty HDMI lead, or the TV. Some TVs are just flaky and don't like certain HDMI inputs. You need to check that the box works OK or not on Scart, on a different HDMI lead, and on a different HDMI lead on a different TV.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Hi all,

any chance anyone could give me the outline on channel changing. .

basically, i'm sure im not the only one, with having to wire up soarview tvs for 2 separate elderly people.

my uncle as had what most of us had for years and years. .
    1 rte 1
    2 rte 2
    3 bbc 1
    4 bbc 2
    5 utv
    6 ch 4.

and thats it. . . . so it was one remote and flick flick and flick..
    simple. . my mother also needs one, and im hoping to give her back the bbc's she lost 20 yrs ago. .

so in order to get the satellite and saorview ive no option but a combi tv or box. . as walker are the only ones doing the tv and no mention of when its coming (promised 2 weeks every 2 weeks) (not to mention software issues). . . im thinking one of these boxes on his telly. .

so tell me. . . . he/she switches on his telly, then switches on this box..

now. . if its fed via hdmi or scart. . . what happens next. .
    is RTE 1 automatically up first? and how to change to BBC 1 or UTV. .

im sure he wont need the tv remote, possibly just to switch the tv on . .

ill be setting it up/ tech stuff. . not an issue. .

would appreciate help

So you are thinking of using these combo's with older (non-Saorview) TVs? So you'll need the right aerial for the Irish channels (if you are getting them already you might be OK) and a dish for the UK channels.

Once the TV and combo is powered on, press the AV button on the TV remote to switch to the combo. From then on use the combo remote to work everything.

The channel that appears on the TV is the last one that was watched before powering off previously.

Your relative can simply press the up & down button to go through the channels - for both Irish and UK.

Or simply press the channel number to jump to a channel.

Also there is a EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) which gives 7 day listings for the Irish channels or 'Now & Next' for the English channels. From the EPG you can get a description of a programme, change channel or setup a recording.

You can record to an external hard drive or a USB stick.

Also digital 'teletext' is available.

I have one of these boxes. I don't watch the Irish channels much. The box is functional and reliable but probably expensive. The only thing I don't like is that it is not very responsive at times i.e. to power on the box I have to press the button on the remote 3/4 times. Also slow entering number to change channels. Even pressing the up/down button can be sluggish.

Walker have a combo box like this too - like the Triax, is saorview approved. Discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056628216 (Might be better/faster than the Triax?)

Alot people are using Ferguson Ariva boxes (non-saorview approved) but you may have to make updates sometimes if you get these boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Shezsharks

I am currently using an openbox HD which is ok but sometimes dosent record from ther timer which is a bit unreliable and want to upgrade this box so was thinkingo f the Triax 114 as im In Co Dublin for the Saroview channels also. If it was legal is the Triax 114 capable of card sharing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Anyone having a problem with the date?
    When I record a program the date of the recording in the record manager comes up as a day ahead ie if I record something this evening it will say it was recorded on the 12th Sept.
    I've messed around with the time/date setting switching from auto to manual but it doesn't make a difference.
    Not a major problem but an annoying one...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shezsharks

Is the Triax 114 set up for CCCam or Newcam please someone let me know asap???

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Shezsharks wrote: »
    Is the Triax 114 set up for CCCam or Newcam please someone let me know asap???
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bettystown runner

hi lads very informative tread just got one of these boxs today [well yesterday] everything tuned in but 2 questions to ask
    1. bbc3 and 4 come up with a message "not available" can they be tuned in manually like extra channels on sky
    2. will the channel list as provided earlier in thred (around may 2012) still work with the software updates done since that date on the new machine?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

1. bbc3 and 4 come up with a message "not available" can they be tuned in manually like extra channels on sky

They only broadcast after 7pm. Try after that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnd114

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    Anyone having a problem with the date?
    When I record a program the date of the recording in the record manager comes up as a day ahead ie if I record something this evening it will say it was recorded on the 12th Sept.
    I've messed around with the time/date setting switching from auto to manual but it doesn't make a difference.
    Not a major problem but an annoying one...
    I have seen this problem too. Don't know why it occurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnd114

When I try to change channels by entering the channel no. the box freezes. Cannot do anything. Then when I power down the box everything works again. This has happened several times. Anybody else seen this or know why it might be occurring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Johnd114 wrote: »
    When I try to change channels by entering the channel no. the box freezes. Cannot do anything. Then when I power down the box everything works again. This has happened several times. Anybody else seen this or know why it might be occurring?

do u have the latest software on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hi Guys, got mine yesterday, impressed so far. Just wondering about recording. I prefer the idea of power-less storage - I'd rather not leave a hard drive plugged in to mains all the time. I could use a USB stick, but if I wanted to have something larger, could I use a desktop hardrive that takes its power from the USB port? Something like this.....

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/external/20000073/wd_elements_portable_320gb_2_5_usb2_0/details.aspx

Will this work with the Triax?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

I did an update from the website and now the aspect ratio doesn't adjust right. I have 2 settings fullscreen/16:9. If i put it on 16:9 the sd ch's on soarview is squeezed into 4:3 pic, if i put it on fullscreen 4:3 content on satellite is stretched.and i can be fussy biggrin.png also the saorview logo is gone from epg after update. can't get previous update on website, anyone know where i can find it?

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi Guys, got mine yesterday, impressed so far. Just wondering about recording. I prefer the idea of power-less storage - I'd rather not leave a hard drive plugged in to mains all the time. I could use a USB stick, but if I wanted to have something larger, could I use a desktop hardrive that takes its power from the USB port? Something like this.....

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/external/20000073/wd_elements_portable_320gb_2_5_usb2_0/details.aspx

Will this work with the Triax?

thanks

I got it last week and i use this 500gb drive http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=640 which is usb powered it has worked perfectly with timer records so far. occasionally when pressing record it says your device is not fast enough do you still want to record but it still works perfectly with no problems. I havn't used timeshift pause/rewind fully yet but worked as it should when i tested

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Crabby_Hermit

Does anyone else get a warning when you press record saying "device is not fast enough, do you still want to continue?" I have a 1 TB WD My Passport External Hard Drive. Would partitioning solve this problem or is it a power issue?

Does anyone else get a warning when you press record saying "device is not fast enough, do you still want to continue?" I have a 1 TB WD My Passport External Hard Drive. Would partitioning solve this problem or is it a power issue?

yes me too. i have the same drive the 500gb version. It seems to do the job ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

Cheers. Checked it out. My dad picks up the four basic channels fine in at least two rooms in the house, this despite the fact that there is no longer an aerial on the roof after a storm!

Weird how it's working. Reckon it could be an old landline analogue piped into the house.

If you are NOT seeing the X October 24 'bug' on the bottom-right corner of the RTEs (or X 24/10/12 in the top of the picture on TG4) yes you seem to be getting them by a cable line. RTE/TV3/TG4 in analogue via cable are not being turned off next month. However you need an aerial to get saorview. What you are saying is likely to be the case in Cork.

I can't add Mtv Trax sat channel fta at the moment. Its apparently marked as scrambled so maybe that's why it can't add it. anyone found a way of adding it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

It's FTA with me, but marked as encrypted by my receiver (not a TSC114). I had to scan for 'all channels'. Presumably this is just a temporary situation.

It's not an issue specific to the Triax TSC114.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Got one of these over the Summer. Good enough box. Some issues though:

- The PVR features aren't easy to use. Compared to my Tevion HDD recorder the settings are primitive enough.

- The menu text is quite small & indisinct. I've seen a Walker Free4View Satellite receiver & the menus are far clearer & easy to read.

- My 114 has a glitch, it sometimes goes blank showing a blank snowy white screen. Powering off & back on again clears this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kev_Clare

for extra functionality like the PVR stuff and the media player so it should be a winner.

Sorry for being a bit late to the party, however I was wondering if this meant that you can set to record shows using a timer when you won't be at home, or do you need to be there to press record?

Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Kev_Clare wrote: »
    Sorry for being a bit late to the party, however I was wondering if this meant that you can set to record shows using a timer when you won't be at home, or do you need to be there to press record?

Much appreciated!

yep, can use a manual timer for future recordings on the triax tsc114 see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgAqQtgPSA

Advertisement