Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 icnd1

Hi, recently got the tsc 114 seems to be a good all round package, but has a small problem in that any channels I delete automatically come back whiten 5 or 10 minis with the message on the screen "new channels were found and added to channel list" anyone know how this can be turned off, I know it is only a minor problem but channel surfing means going through a bunch of channels that that I don't need. Any help thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

icnd1 wrote: »
    Hi, recently got the tsc 114 seems to be a good all round package, but has a small problem in that any channels I delete automatically come back whiten 5 or 10 minis with the message on the screen "new channels were found and added to channel list" anyone know how this can be turned off, I know it is only a minor problem but channel surfing means going through a bunch of channels that that I don't need. Any help thanks.

Not sure how to stop deleted channels coming back - but to avoid having to scroll through loads of channels you're not interested in why don't you just re-order your channels? If you go into "Menu/channel/channel manager" you can move the channels around so that they're in the order you're interested in. I did this so that I have them listed as RTE1, RTE2, BBC1, BBC2, ITV etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Does anyone else get a warning when you press record saying "device is not fast enough, do you still want to continue?" I have a 1 TB WD My Passport External Hard Drive. Would partitioning solve this problem or is it a power issue?

This comes up on mine too, I'm using a 16Gb USB fob. It still records fine despite this warning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

I'm recording this way but I find the recording sticks/freezes at times and I have to hit the ff button to get it going again,
    also when I select a program to record that hasn't started yet and press the green button twice to schedule a recording it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

Got one of these last weekend and set up etc. ok, however I am just getting around to checking out recording functions and when I try to set a timed recording in settings menu settings it lets me set the station and start time but the end-time and duration options are greyed out, it just skips on to Type. I have an external, seperately powered HDD connected. Has anybody experienced this problem? I find the manual is less than useful.

• Advertisement

Got one of these last weekend and set up etc. ok, however I am just getting around to checking out recording functions and when I try to set a timed recording in settings menu settings it lets me set the station and start time but the end-time and duration options are greyed out, it just skips on to Type. I have an external, seperately powered HDD connected. Has anybody experienced this problem? I find the manual is less than useful.
    Set the Type to recorder - then just specify your duration, the end time will be filled accordingly.
    The tvtrade.ie video tutorials are pretty helpful in showing the basics of how to use the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

Tried that and it worked fine ;). I had tried different combinations of settings but I don't think I would have worked that one out.
    Also had a quick look at those tvtrade.ie videos - very good. There was one very good little tip about recording future saorview programmes from the epg by double clicking on the green button, I didn't realise that was possible and there is nothing about it in the manual, I assumed it would be necessary to set the manual timer. Thanks for the help kelbal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Picked one of these bad boys up, first off the EPG and menu system looks atrocious and there seems to be a delay from input, i.e 1 sec on the remote, which is noticeable and very irratated when scrolling a lot of channels.

Wondering about the Satellite channels, which has 'then and now' functions on the EPG, is there anyway of 'pushing' the data of the each program of then and now onto the EPG so they appear without actually going into said channel? Saorview channels obviously have the 7 day function just wondering about the English ones.

Also, has anyone updated there Triax box with the latest firmware, if so, any improvements? Im a little nervous about it, dont want to brick it.

donmeister wrote: »
    Picked one of these bad boys up, first off the EPG and menu system looks atrocious and there seems to be a delay from input, i.e 1 sec on the remote, which is noticeable and very irratated when scrolling a lot of channels.

Wondering about the Satellite channels, which has 'then and now' functions on the EPG, is there anyway of 'pushing' the data of the each program of then and now onto the EPG so they appear without actually going into said channel? Saorview channels obviously have the 7 day function just wondering about the English ones.

Also, has anyone updated there Triax box with the latest firmware, if so, any improvements? Im a little nervous about it, dont want to brick it.

I think the menu system is fine!
    The EPG is pretty crap, - I dont use it to scroll channels though. Just press the round 'Enter' button which brings up channel list, scroll from there and its great.
    I updated to the firmware from the website when I got it first, and it was fine. Would suggest you do it sooner rather than later, as if by some chance it does brick it, you've better chance of returning it to the shop the nearer you are to the purchase time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'm thinking of getting a couple of these.
    Anyone have trouble viewing Avi files or is it a good media player?

Does it support MKV files?
    I don't see them mentioned anywhere, so I assume not...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

AVI files will always be a bit hit and miss as there are thousands of AVI type files. You may need to recode from one AVI type to another on a PC, which can take hours.

A PC with the free software VLC can play nearly anything thrown at it. Far less so for any box that plays AVIs

Does it support MKV files?
    I don't see them mentioned anywhere, so I assume not...?

I've tried about 10 or 15 movies on it so far, and 1 of these didn't work - like zg3409 said, this will be the same with any media player.

Just tried an mkv file and it worked fine.

btw, the 'fast forward' is pretty good when watching an avi file, can go through it at 32x speed very smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I have two of these and I'm very happy with them. They are the second and bedroom TVs (Sky in the main room but that is normally occupied by the kids).

The EPG & Menu may not be the best looking but they do the job. Hopefully it will get better with some more firmware updates but in general I'm very happy with them. It's replacing a couple of Lidl sat boxes and the analog tuner on the TV do this is a BIG step up.

They take a little bit of setting (say 30 minutes) up at the start just to sort out all the channels in the order you want them in and get rid of of the ones you don't want. There is a prepared list you can download from http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-combo.html and that makes it a lot easier but not perfect (the New 4seven was missing a couple of weeks ago when I last used it plus we all have our own preference for channel order etc). Also you need to do an overall scan first and then update the channel list. That caught me out at the beginning as I was loading the prepared list but nothing was coming up. You need to scan for everything and then leave the prepared list delete the ones you don't want. Also it took a bit of digging around to find where the option was to add a channel (4seven).

I've got a harddisk with a lot of films on the bedroom TV and I'd say maybe 60% work and 40% don't. I have another little media player with another harddisk that they all work on so I'm not too worried. At some point (probably over Christmas) I need to just go through the list file by file and work out what works and what doesn't and then delete the ones that don't off the harddisk connected to the 114 to avoid future frustration.

I haven't really tried to record anything. Messed around with it but nothing serious and certainly I didn't try recording anything coming up in a few days on the Irish channels. There is a timer function (under settings timers of all places) that I have not used but would be good on the UK channels (for example back in the days when Spooks was on BBC3 and Sky didn't carry BBC3 I could set a lidl silvercrest PVR box to record BBC3 at 8:50 until 10:10 every Sunday and it would so I presume this function on the 114 is the same). Not as flexible as series link but it worked. Again making that an easier option direct from the EPG would be a good addition in a future firmware update.

Overall I have to say when my parents were looking for a combi box I recommend this one based on my experience with it so that must say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

By the way does anyone know if the ethernet port at the back will ever be used. It is listed as "for future functionality" but I've seen that before and it never comes to anything. How likely are Triax to ever develop the firmware to use this port. Specifically I'm thinking accessing the internet for RTE player etc. It would be a great addition but probably a bit too much to hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

touts wrote: »
    does anyone know if the ethernet port at the back will ever be used.

Someone said before they pay less tax if it has an ethernet port, hence nearly every box has it. It may never be used for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

do i need a satellite dish to pick up channels in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That link brings me to a video of Obama v Romney. Whats that about?

That link brings me to a video of Obama v Romney. Whats that about?

dodgy post, user is now banned

A satellite dish will give you all the UK based free satellite channels, BBC's, ITV's and loads more. As part of that, there's BBC HD, ITV HD (I think), and probably more.

The saorview channels, via a UHF aerial, will give you the Irish channels - and I think RTE 2 HD is the only HD channel.

Hope I'm not being too simplistic, your question is a bit vague, not sure how much you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sorry for being lazy, I haven't read through all of this thread, is there a channel list available for this receiver that can be loaded on via usb?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If you want UK HD channels on this receiver, you'll need a satellite dish. Most locations in Monaghan town will have UK terrestrial reception, so no need for combo boxes, especially with Freeview going to full power.

Maybe you already have an aerial giving UK analogue channels? Do you have the BBC Freeview standard def. channels since yesterday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Xeroid

I have the same problem, I can't set an end time .After setting a duration the end time is still greyed out.Do you just hit exit when your finished, I don't know , how can I as the instructions are worse than useless and worryingly Triax don't do customer help,thank crunchie for Boards!

Xeroid wrote: »
    I have the same problem, I can't set an end time .After setting a duration the end time is still greyed out.Do you just hit exit when your finished, I don't know , how can I as the instructions are worse than useless and worryingly Triax don't do customer help,thank crunchie for Boards!

Did you read my reply to Bertie?
    Set the date, channel, and start time. Set the 'Type' to recorder, and set the duration. The end time will fill automatically according to the duration and will always be greyed out. Just hit enter to confirm, and it will be saved.
    One thing I did notice - it automatically has the start time set as the current time - if you set it all up and hit enter without changing the start time, it will fail, as that time has past. The start time has to be set some time in the future, thats probably what you're doing wrong

Yes Kelbal I did read your instructions tried several times with no luck .Just tried again and it worked.Thanks for info.
    I also have a problem sometimes when you switch on there are no Sat channels a po-po sorts this out but its not ideal, her indoors is not happy:o
    Thanks again

Xeroid wrote: »
    Yes Kelbal I did read your instructions tried several times with no luck .Just tried again and it worked.Thanks for info.
    I also have a problem sometimes when you switch on there are no Sat channels a po-po sorts this out but its not ideal, her indoors is not happy:o
    Thanks again

Check your cable/connector obviously. did you ever have another sat box attached to this sat cable? Any issues with it? If not, I'd bring the box back and look for another one.

Yes had a Comag SL65 no probs still working now in den. I wonder has anybody else had this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I just got the Triax and all the channels bar the Irish channels are working. Irish channels are coming in grand in the sitting room but not on the Triax in my bedroom. I tried doing the automatic install for the Irish channels but it's not find them. Anyone know what I need to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

So you're getting the UK channels via a satellite dish & the Irish from a terrestrial aerial feed?

Does the bedroom have a feed from the terrestrial aerial? If you only have 1 cable there, you should be able to combine satellite & terrestrial on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I have a satellite cable and a terrestrial aerial cable in the bedroom. The two RTE channels come in fine and TG4 and TV3 are bad on the tv, but none of them come in on the Triax box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mayoman1995

got this yesterday and cbebbies and cbbc and bbc news channel arent working . all other channels fine

Advertisement