Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Get a 4:3 tv with a HDMI socket :rolleyes:

I actually have a 4:3 TV with a HDMI socket, they didn't put any HD logos on it thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Quick question guys, there is a Sky dish on my apartment block but I don't subscribe to Sky. If I were to buy the Triax box would I be able to receive the free to air channels (BBC, CH4 etc) through the Sky dish?

thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

cyberhog wrote: »
    Quick question guys, there is a Sky dish on my apartment block but I don't subscribe to Sky. If I were to buy the Triax box would I be able to receive the free to air channels (BBC, CH4 etc) through the Sky dish?

thanks in advance!

If you have an active connection to the dish then yes but you should look at a freesat box rather than a combo as it will be more beneficial in your case.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    If you have an active connection to the dish then yes but you should look at a freesat box rather than a combo as it will be more beneficial in your case.

Thanks for the advice. How can I check the connection to the dish is active?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭zg3409

cyberhog wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. How can I check the connection to the dish is active?

Borrow a Sky box and connect it to the wall. Alternatively borrow any sat box and see if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

Bought a Triax TSC114 at the weekend couple of issues
    1: MHEG5 Teletext on sat doesn't work it appears.

2: PVR (recording) formats the files in TS/PS which doesn't seem to be playable by other video players without converting it first

3:The video resolution in 1080p 50 or 1080i 25 mode,expands the picture ,thus parts of the frame is out of view ( the channel water mark and outline frame area are chopped)and that's on a 50" HD tv.

It doesn't justify its €180 retail price, plus lack of HD channels on freesat doesn't help it's cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭zg3409

freevoice wrote: »
    plus lack of HD channels on freesat doesn't help it's cause.

It is NOT a freesat box. A freesat box would work correctly on the Satellite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

I stand corrected on the TS/PS files, they will play on Vlc player .Also managed to fix the 1080p 50 video resolution ,though still have problems with the 4:3 , 16:9 ratio with certain programs but that can't be helped.
    zg3409 wrote: »
    It is NOT a freesat box. A freesat box would work correctly on the Satellite side.
    yeah , just on a side note on the HD aspect of it .The FTA HD channels is thin on the ground .Only having RTE 2 HD (saorview) , BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, ITV 1HD, Channel 4 HD and NHK HD and no channel 5 HD . Hopefully more will be added but I'm going off topic.Epg ,MHEG5 is still the main issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

Tony, why is it more beneficial? because of the auto tuning? he still won't have saorview :confused:

Razr3D wrote: »
    Tony, why is it more beneficial? because of the auto tuning? he still won't have saorview :confused:

Auto update, 7 day epg etc , he won't have saorview beacuse he does not have an aerial .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Willby

Auto update, 7 day epg etc , he won't have saorview beacuse he does not have an aerial .
    + Series Link facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

can anyone who has one of these comment if you can record 1 terrestrial and watch another?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Compton wrote: »
    can anyone who has one of these comment if you can record 1 terrestrial and watch another?

you can for now... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4IczI6jF8FQ

once other muxes kick in, you'll need a twin terrestrial tuner set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

Hi Guys

I currently have an old ferguson FTA box connected to Astra 2 for BBC etc and Astra 1 for Eurosport etc using a DISQEC switch. If i get a new combo box (looking at either the either the new Ferguson 120 one or the Triax 114) Im assuming DISQEC is fully supported and I can connect to both of these satellites along with the terrestial using an aerial?

thanks

Yes both boxes support diseqc

John32c wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I currently have an old ferguson FTA box connected to Astra 2 for BBC etc and Astra 1 for Eurosport etc using a DISQEC switch. If i get a new combo box (looking at either the either the new Ferguson 120 one or the Triax 114) Im assuming DISQEC is fully supported and I can connect to both of these satellites along with the terrestial using an aerial?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Delboy1999

Hi, currently I have a FTA box and have a rabbits ears in door aerial to pick up the Irish channels. Once Saorview kicks in and I was to buy a saorview tv or a triax combo box will i have to upgrade my old indoor aerial?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

That's more of a general reception question, rather than receiver specific.

If you have decent analogue reception from a transmitter that also broadcasts Saorview, then your indoor aerial will more than likely deliver acceptable digital reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 coolcreen

I purchased a Triax TSC114 Combo receiver and am delighted with it operation as a receiver. However, I do have difficulty relating to it's operation in two specific areas. I checked the user handbook and also your Frequently Asked Questions on the Triax website and could not find the answer.

Problem 1

When I press "Record Manager" key, I can see all of the recordings. I have two choices at this menu. "Move" to move up and down the recording list and "Enter" to play the selected recording.

When I look at page 36 in the user manual, I see a very different Record Manager.
    It shows 3 coloured keys and 5 optional keys giving me a total of 8 options. (8 options compared with 2 on my receiver) It also give information relating to the selected recording at the left of the menu. It displays the Root of the drive above the recordings.

Question 1......How can I display the menu shown in page 36 of the user manual, so that I may manage my recordings in "Record Manager"

Problem 2

I have all of the Saorview Channels Listed 0001 to 0008 as the Receiver very capably and sensibly arranged them. I then searched for the "Free to Air" channels and it very capably scanned all of the available channels in also.

I then wanted to re-arrange them. So let's say BBC HD was in Channel 0077 and I wanted to position it just above the Saorview channels, in Channel 0009, I can move it without difficulty to Channel 0009 position, but it still retains is 0077 channel number. I expected it to pop it into the Channel 0009 position and that the Channel that was in position 0009 would now change to 0010. I believe that it can be changed, just do not know how to carry it out.

Question 2........How can change the channel number attached to say BBC HD from 0077 to 0009.

This is a very nice receiver if I can manage to sort the above problems out. I know that I can delete the unnecessary recordings it I attach the hard drive to my computer, but, given the information on Page 36 of the manual, it would be much easier.

Problem 2....
    from the point you are at you could try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77742244&postcount=169
    slower but more channels to select from. You'd have to then sort/delete your own channel list from that point onwards.

alternatively, you could just download a pre-made channel list
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77842716&postcount=174
    just install using a usb stick and then scan in the Irish channels
    quicker but some channels you might want may be not in the pre-made list and you would have to scan them in individually afterwards. TBH I'd say 99%+ of what the average Joe would want would be in any pre-made channel list. Pre-programmed channel lists are arranged logically too

On problem one, I'm not sure exactly what menu you are talking about to be honest, we've had them in since day one and the only media playback menu I have seen is the one in the following video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IczI6jF8FQ (from about 5:55 onwards) Have you something different?

Problem 2....
    from the point you are at you could try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77742244&postcount=169
    slower but more channels to select from. You'd have to then sort/delete your own channel list from that point onwards.

alternatively, you could just download a pre-made channel list
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77842716&postcount=174
    just install using a usb stick and then scan in the Irish channels
    quicker but some channels you might want may be not in the pre-made list and you would have to scan them in individually afterwards. TBH I'd say 99%+ of what the average Joe would want would be in any pre-made channel list. Pre-programmed channel lists are arranged logically too

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Perhaps I didn't make my problems clear enough.

Problem Number 1
    I do not have a problem with any of the Terrestrial Channels or their numbering, nor do I have a problem with the scanning of satellite channels, moving or deleting them.
    Putting it as simply as possible, I wish the change the BBC HD, presently on Channel 0077 to Channel 0009. In other words, I wish to renumber the channels to my order of preference.
    I suppose what I am looking for is a Channel Editor, preferably within the set top box. I know that it can be done because I downloaded the Channel list you suggested and installed them. It was very neat with all of the numbers in the correct order. Unfortunately, this list does not include some of the channels my children like and some I could delete. If I begin alter this list to suit my preference, the numbers are no longer in order. I mess up the very neat list.

Problem 2
    Let say I go into EPG and select Coronation for this evening, press the green key twice to set it to record. Later on this evening, I go into Record Manager, use the up and down keys to select the program I recorded, press Enter and view it. Everything OK so far. Now I want to delete it. I go into Record Manager, but the option keys (coloured keys)as shown in Page 36 of the user manual are not there. I have no means of deleting the Coronation Street that I no longer need. What I really need to know is, how can I find the menu as shown in Page 36 of the user manual.

Thank you once again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For Problem 1, you need to disable LCN. I can't properly remember now, but I think it requires you to rescan the channels.

For Problem 2, I'd need to look at a manual :eek: I might do so tomorrow, as there is one set up at work.

On problem 2, what I wrote earlier is correct. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IczI6jF8FQ (from about 5:55 onwards)

You were possibly using the 'record manager' button on the remote which brings up a shortcut to your recordings. The 'media' button button beside it, as the video indicated is what you need to do to get the full range of options. Once you are in there, you can use the arrow keys to select what you want and then the colour buttons to perform an action.

but perhaps you were there already? If so, I'd guess that you had the wrong option selected. It deals with photos, music, video, recordings seperatly, so you need to arrow over first to recordings and then use the down arrow and ok button to select the storage device to get into the recordings menu so you can delete. Just did it there now.

Thank you so much to Digital Satellite TV and Byte. You were both spot-on.

Switching off LCN and rescanning the channels gave me total control over how the channels were numbered

Accessing Record Manager via Media key rather than the prescribed Record Manager key gave me access and control over my recorded programmes. The mistake I was making regarding accessing it this way was, I used the left and right arrow keys to move from music to video to e-reader to and finally to Record manager, I did not see anything on the list. I discovered that:

1. Press Media key
    2. Left/Right button to select Record Manager
    3. Press down key to select the drive
    4. Press OK key

Thank you once again for all your help

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Glad you got sorted! It also helps for others who may have similar queries in the future, to know things worked out!

Yes byte, I was not using the down key (point 3 above) to select the drive as it appear to be highlighted already. How wrong I was. Boards.ie and it's great members did it again.

Also meant to say that the key labelled "Record Manager" should be labelled "Record List" because you cannot manage anything within it other than play a recording, very misleading. Small gripe however as it is a beautiful remote control in almost every respect. I am extremely happy with this unit now that my too small problems are sorted out. I highly recommend this unit to any potential customers.

coolcreen wrote: »
    . Small gripe however as it is a beautiful remote control in almost every respect.

I find the remote control a bit cumbersome to use on the TSC114, but I wouldn't let that put anyone off because it is otherwise a very nice combo receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭minder2009

how do you delete the recordings? and how do you know if it is recording?Box in attic. Missus put her soaps on record on saorview epg it shows them as ready to record...when she went to watch them they had not recorded. triax 114.....usb key in. also formatted.....appreciate advice please

minder2009 wrote: »
    how do you delete the recordings? and how do you know if it is recording?Box in attic. Missus put her soaps on record on saorview epg it shows them as ready to record...when she went to watch them they had not recorded. triax 114.....usb key in. also formatted.....appreciate advice please

see from about 2/3 of way through this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IczI6jF8FQ for deleting recording, not specifically mentioned but you will see where you should go and you will see the stage at which you press the red button to delete a selected recording.

As for not recording, sounds like maybe it was set as a reminder not a recording possibly. In case that is what is happening, see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caHERIh-MLk for recording using the EPG on saorview channels. If it is the satellite channels, you probably would have to use the timer menu and you can see the video for that here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgAqQtgPSA

Hope they are of some help to you.

• Advertisement

minder2009 wrote: »

To Delete a recording
    1. Press Media key
    2. Press left or right arrow key till you see "Record Manager"
    3. Press the down key to select the drive
    4. Using the up/down key to select the recording you wish to delete
    5. Press the red key
    Record a program using EPG
    1. Press EPG key
    2. Select the channel using the up/down key
    3. press the right arrow key repeatedly till you select the program you wish to record
    4. Press the green key twice. A green symbol will display on the program
    How will I know the program is recording?
    The blue and red lights at the front of the unit will alternately flash

Advertisement