Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

touts wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the media player function seems a bit hit and miss when it comes to playing back films etc on an external harddisk. Say two AVI files one will work and another won't "Format not recognised". Any idea why this is? Is there a fix?

It will play what it will play. It played most things I threw at it anyway. It all depends on the codecs involved. An AVI is not just an AVI and there are many codecs both audio and video that be contained with in it.

Media players on these type of boxes should just be considered as a nice add-on and will never play the same range of media as a standalone dedicated media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

touts wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the media player function seems a bit hit and miss when it comes to playing back films etc on an external harddisk. Say two AVI files one will work and another won't "Format not recognised". Any idea why this is? Is there a fix?

AVI is a 'wrapper' containing a video file encoded with a particular codec.
    Ensue that a compatible codec has been used and you should have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oulton

Have been using TSC114 for over a week now and over the last few days seem to be having problems with the bbc channels only. All other channels are perfect except for bbc. One night lost channels completely and now most night I have boxes like large pixels and fragmented reception, any ideas would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zg3409

Fragmented reception is normally a weak signal, which is normally caused by a misaligned dish. At the start it may only happen on some channels, but if the signal gets weaker it may happen on more channels.

If you got a professional install with a guarantee ring them, if not you may need a professional alignment, failing that have a go yourself, but you would need an in-line signal meter or move the TV and receiver to the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

oulton wrote: »
    Have been using TSC114 for over a week now and over the last few days seem to be having problems with the bbc channels only. All other channels are perfect except for bbc. One night lost channels completely and now most night I have boxes like large pixels and fragmented reception, any ideas would be great thanks.
    This might be relevant if you mean terrestrial BBCs

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79727678

• Advertisement

New firmware for the TSC114 available now from the Triax website...

http://www.triax.co.uk/Downloads/Software%20Downloads.aspx

Called 'Software Version July 2012'

Minimal fix in that it 'defaults aspect ratio to full screen' according to the info provided.

Be aware that you'll have to do all your channel list again after applying this if you so wish but just FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

New firmware for the TSC114 available now from the Triax website...

http://www.triax.co.uk/Downloads/Software%20Downloads.aspx

Called 'Software Version July 2012'

Minimal fix in that it 'defaults aspect ratio to full screen' according to the info provided.

Be aware that you'll have to do all your channel list again after applying this if you so wish but just FYI

Thanks for the info on new software, i noticed no difference with the aspect ratio however when applying the new software.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

I am looking for a USB flash drive for the triax for recording / pausing etc. As far as I know a high speed one is required. Does anybody know what read / write speeds are required for this box or does anybody have any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Havent read through whole thread so dont know if this has been asked before
    set up one of these for a mate the other day and when set up with a scart lead it turns the tv green.The tv defaults to scart when switched on.Using the hdmi there are no problems.Anyone else have this problem ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Presumably you've made sure the lead is plugged in properly or tried another one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Presumably you've made sure the lead is plugged in properly or tried another one?
    Yes both ends plugged in all the way and have tried a few different ones to no avail,tv is a Nordmende.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

SPAWKER wrote: »
    set up one of these for a mate the other day and when set up with a scart lead it turns the tv green.The tv defaults to scart when switched on.Using the hdmi there are no problems.Anyone else have this problem ?

I had this problem a few years ago. Turned out to be a loose connection in the scart cable (wiggle it around and see if it improves). I would say it is either a bad cable or a bad connection in one of the scart sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

SPAWKER wrote: »

I had this problem on a tv and switched the output to cvbs instead of rgb...why are you suing a scart instead of a hdmi cable you will not get the full quality hd picture via a scart.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Is this the TSC114 as the Argos info does not specify?:confused:

marob1969 wrote: »
    Is this the TSC114 as the Argos info does not specify?:confused:

yeah it doesn't but it says saorview approved in the blurband the pic is of the tsc114 (got the saorview logo on the front) so I'd imagone it's the tsc114 alright

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Only one way to find out. If it's not TSC114, just return to Argos and get my money back I guess!

I sent Argos an email 24 hours ago asking this but no answer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

Generally you can ask to see the product before you buy it in Argos. The snotty minimum wage teenager behind the till won't like it but if you go to customer service (where they tend to put the more experienced staff) and explain what you want they will bring it out for you to check it is what you want.

Their reply
    Dear Sir,

Subject: Reference Number 13660382

Thank you for your email regarding the model number for the Triax Saorview HD Combi PVR Ready Set Top Box, (532/3263).

I can confirm that the model number for this item is TSC 114. I hope this is helpful for you.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Elizabeth Justham
    Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

For your reference the above reply is in reference to your earlier email ARG8224357X:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Thinking of getting one of these soon. my Q?, is how many hrs standard recording would you fit on an 8 GB (for example )memory stick after formatting using the box? can anyone tell me, tks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

decdon wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these soon. my Q?, is how many hrs standard recording would you fit on an 8 GB (for example )memory stick after formatting using the box? can anyone tell me, tks.

I asked a question before about recording from RTE HD on this box and this is the answer I got. I think these figures refer to HD recording though, if that helps:

"about 3-5GB per hour or just over 1MB per second, on average."

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Thinking of getting one of these for my Dad.

I've a few questions.

1) He currently has a Triax SR 110. This provides the uk freeviews channels. But after Oct 24, I imagine he won't have the Irish analogue channels anymore?

2) What's the best price for the TSC 114?

Cheapest I've seen is here http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-combo.html

€145
    + optional €1 to pre programme the the channels
    + €7.50 postage, unless you collect in store in Portarlington

Argos is €165 http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5323263/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CDigital+boxes+and+services%7C14419633.htm

3) The lack of a red button for BBC would be annoying. Has any other combo product for Irish Saorview and English Freeview come out since the TSC 114?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

2) One advantage with tvtrade is that they will look after you if there is any problems in the first year. Don't know about Argos. (On tvtrade the full price incl VAT is ~€178.)

3) The Walker combo is an alternative. Mentioned on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056727875

One post says you can get red button but there are other pros/cons discussed.

paultf wrote: »
    2) One advantage with tvtrade is that they will look after you if there is any problems in the first year. Don't know about Argos. (On tvtrade the full price incl VAT is ~€178.)

3) The Walker combo is an alternative. Mentioned on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056727875

One post says you can get red button but there are other pros/cons discussed.

Cheers. Hadn't spotted tvtrade's price was vat excluded!

Hmm, Walker looks a grand option too

you can for now... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4IczI6jF8FQ

once other muxes kick in, you'll need a twin terrestrial tuner set up.

When are the multiplexes being turned on, thus removing the record one channel, watch another capability?

Will this happen Oct 24?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Unlikely to happen by Oct. 24, hopefully will be well within the lifetime of any receiver purchased now. I don't think anyone is sure when the 2nd mux. will become active: TG4 HD is ready to go, but they won't start up for just one channel.

Got the Triax today. Have installed the uk channels no bother.

Followed instructions on how to install the Irish saorview channels:

Insert Normal terrestrial tv aerial in correct port (ANT IN)

press menu - installation - installation type: DVB-T - auto search

but it's not picking the Irish channels up! Any ideas?

If I put the aerial wire in back of tv it works fine, so I know it's not the wire!

but it's not picking the Irish channels up! Any ideas?

If I put the aerial wire in back of tv it works fine, so I know it's not the wire!

Have a look here to see here your nearest Saorview mast is located. Is your current TV aerial pointing this way? (type in your exact address and move the cursor)

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Do you currently receive TG4 and TV3. Is the picture perfect?
    Is the picture perfect on every channel?

Have a look at the frequency recommended on the coverage checker. Do a manual scan on just that channel number. No do you get anything?

Do you get the UK channels on your TV via an aerial (E.g. UTV) or do you have 2 or 3 different aerials? Do you have a masthead booster?

Where exactly are you living and how old is your aerial?

Do your neighbours have Saorview?

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Have a look here to see here your nearest Saorview mast is located. Is your current TV aerial pointing this way? (type in your exact address and move the cursor)

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Do you currently receive TG4 and TV3. Is the picture perfect?
    Is the picture perfect on every channel?

Have a look at the frequency recommended on the coverage checker. Do a manual scan on just that channel number. No do you get anything?

Do you get the UK channels on your TV via an aerial (E.g. UTV) or do you have 2 or 3 different aerials? Do you have a masthead booster?

Where exactly are you living and how old is your aerial?

Do your neighbours have Saorview?

Cheers. Checked it out. My dad picks up the four basic channels fine in at least two rooms in the house, this despite the fact that there is no longer an aerial on the roof after a storm!

Weird how it's working. Reckon it could be an old landline analogue piped into the house.

So bascially he needs a new saorview aerial atenna on the roof, or use indoor aerial 'rabbit ears' for each room. Just tried out some rabbit ears and they worked with the TSC 114.

Advertisement