Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have gotta say,there is a Comedy Club near me,and I love going there.
    Can't think of a better way of spending an evening than laughing with friends.

I can take or leave Fr Ted,hate The Simpsons but can't say why it doesn't hit the spot for me.
    Always enjoyed SATC and Friends, but funnily enough,neither immediately comes to mind when I think of comedy(even though they are sitcoms!)

Have always enjoyed Jo Brand-her dry style and sarcastic wit delivered in that deadpan way, appeals to my darker sense of humour.
    Have seen Jason Byrne and PJ Gallagher live a few times,very funny guys.Hoping to see John Bishop at some stage too.

Each to their own,good to have a few laughs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

Motorist wrote: »
    I've never laughed at a female comedian's jokes. Granted, I've seen my fair share of crap male comedians too though.

In my experience, the female comedians would try to pathetically go for shock factor talking about their vagina or periods. Also, Deirdre O kane is a head wreck.

And I suppose male comedians would never dream of joking about male bodily functions?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

iguana wrote: »

Daphne's family were terrible and a real marker of when the show started to drop in quality. I could have just about accepted with them in the series with Daphne and Donny's wedding but after that they really should never have been seen again. Once Daphne and Niles got together the series needed to move on to a new hook and a much more sombre show interspersed with the ludicrous Moons for 'humour' definitely wasn't the way to go. But the decline in quality on Frasier didn't happen as early and wasn't as drastic as most shows that run for so many years.

Frasier picked up again in its final season. I just wish they could have skipped the second to last one. There was far too much forced adversity put in because they didn't know what to do once they had Daphne and Niles together. I loved the last series though, it was a fitting swan song. Lots of introspection and the focus back on Frasier. But then IMO the addition of Laura Linney is a good move!

I'm a big comedy fan, something needs to be properly offensive for me to write it off (Hellllloooo Bernard Manning). I love satire, standup, sit-coms, panel shows.

No one's mentioned In the Thick of It. Quality.

Das Kitty wrote: »

No one's mentioned In the Thick of It. Quality.

I did, I love it (particularly Season 3). I can't believe the new season's finally started.

Aurum wrote: »
    I did, I love it (particularly Season 3). I can't believe the new season's finally started.

Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Wouldn't have thought that sex in the city was any bit funny?
    I would have found other shows funnier like.

Ya I find PJ Gallagher very funny he is one of the few I could laugh at/with and O' Carroll lad from Mr's Brown's Boy's, Johnny Carr, there is a fella in bad education is quiet funny. There is another few I like Jennifer from Republic of Telly, Jason Byrne and Dara O B isn't too bad they can be funny but not funny enough for me I think. Rodge and podge aren't always funny but they are funny enough. Though wouldn't find killinaskully that funny isn't too bad but be funnier than mattie don't get it. Ardal o hanlon is one funny comedian, i've liked most of the comedy programmes he been in except him as a TD.

The naked camera can be quiet funny and bull island was very good. The lad that was in glenroe he does gift grub I think and he done a lot of stints on tv he is very funny. There are a group of fella's that do a sporting and Vincent brown stint quiet funny. Josh something I think he was in 'knocked up' and countless of other funny films.

Everyone has a different sense of humour but I find if there is too much messing that you cannot laugh at or with that person then messing gets a bit much. Though if messing is ok as a means of having a laugh that's grand.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Sorry :o
    It's ok, it's nice to find someone else who enjoys it :). It seems to be a bit niche, I've only spoken to one other person who has actually seen it, and they didn't like it at all.

Aurum wrote: »
    It's ok, it's nice to find someone else who enjoys it :). It seems to be a bit niche, I've only spoken to one other person who has actually seen it, and they didn't like it at all.

Really? Most of my friends love it. Malcolm Tucker is such a brilliant character. I love the creative swearing too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The only stand-up comediennes I like are ones who are nearly blokey in their approach - and there's only two I can think of: Joan Rivers and Gilda Radner. Both Jewish also - New York Jewish humour is utterly hilarious.

Then there's Tina Fey, who is absolutely brilliant IMO.

Most of the time, I find men funnier. That is not a self-loathing dig at women (which unfortunately I do see here a bit), just how I personally see it. I know plenty of hilarious, astonishingly witty women.

The Simpsons was the best comedy programme, maybe even the best programme, of all time for me... until the quality started dropping and dropping to the point that it is now a completely different programme.

Family Guy is funny enough, but borrows heavily from other animated shows.

South Park - never got into it. Not because it's non PC or anything like that, just never took to it. Some of the humour does seem to be merely swearing and silly voices.

Father Ted - crude and vulgar? Lol, never heard anyone say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I tend not to like the usual when it comes to comedy tv. Father Ted will hardly raise a smile from me, nor will Killinaskully, Mrs Brown's Boys, Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, The Simpsons, Family Guy etc. However, The Royle Family has me in stitches :D My mother's family is from near Manchester so Northern English humour is very close to home for me. It's why I love Peter Kay also.

As for stand up, Sarah Millican, Jo Brand and Joan Rivers are three comediennes I find very entertaining. As for the males, I love the aforementioned Peter Kay, Michael McIntyre, Des Bishop, Dara O'Briain, Neil Delamere, and older Tommy Tiernan material. However, the likes of Chris Rock, Dylan Moran and Sarah Silverman do not float my boat at all.

I do prefer mostly male comedians, but that's just personal taste. Friends is one if my favourite shows, and I would find that comedy to be better received by women. Gender doesn't come into my preferences, it just has to make me laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Cherry Blossoms

I wouldn't have really though of sex and the city as comedy?

I love the big bang theory and the IT Crowd, I could watch them again and again.

My favorite standups would be dara o'brien or Michael mc intyre, I saw dara o'brien live and he was brilliant, I'd go see him again in a heartbeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

doovdela wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought that sex in the city was any bit funny?
    I would have found other shows funnier like.

It's subjective, it frequently made me laugh out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Don't know if Roseanne Barr has been mentioned yet, but she is one very smart very funny lady. At its peak her tv show was bring in 23 million viewers. I'm like most of you here about humour. Joan Rivers being funny has nothing to do with her sex, it has to do with the fact that she's Joan Rivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

To be honest, I'm not up on my stand up comedy anymore since leaving Ireland but I used to go to the International Comedy club and the Ha'penny Bridge and there'd be female comedians there who were very funny who didn't get a break unfortunately.

I'm not going to defend the female comedian just for the sake of it but I don't "get" the argument that women aren't funny that's bandied around sometimes and particularly in Ireland. I genuinely know so many funny women in Ireland particularly that that argument doesn't really wash with me at all.

I had an ex who used to get thick with me sometimes for being "too funny" (not to say I'm particularly funny but I have my moments). He'd get into a grump and told me he couldn't keep up and once he told me it was his job to make me laugh.

Saying all that though, my favourite comedies and comedians are men. I love British comedy mainly and the quirkier and weirder the better. I don't know if anyone remembers Adam and Joe but Adam Buxton is now doing his own stuff now and I think it's the funniest stuff I've ever come across. Blackadder was brilliant as was The Office, The Young Ones, Alan Partridge... I'm a bit out of touch at what's happening now living here, unfortunately.

Love Steve Martin as well and I think Dara O'Brien is just brilliant.

The Simpsons I did like back in the day, Father Ted was hit and miss for me not because it was crude or vulgar (that doesn't offend me), just because. Mainly hit though.

And I loved Friends. That was one hilarious comedy but for some reason it was classed as kind of girly. I know loads of fellas who've sat down to actually watch it and loved it.

Comedy is so subjective and it's not an argument I like to get into with people. You can't convince people to change their tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My favourite comedy show is A Bit Of Fry and Laurie. It's nothing short of genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

Saying all that though, my favourite comedies and comedians are men. I love British comedy mainly and the quirkier and weirder the better. I don't know if anyone remembers Adam and Joe but Adam Buxton is now doing his own stuff now and I think it's the funniest stuff I've ever come across. .

Yes! I loved the Adam and Joe show on 6 music, fantastic stuff. A link here for anyone who wants to listen to the podcasts.http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/adamandjoe

I think I have quite mixed tastes in comedy. I like Jack Dee, Billy Connolly and Steve Martin. I will watch any film with Bill Murray in it, his face alone makes me laugh. TV shows are a mixed bag as well
    Alan Partridge
    Red Dwarf
    Peep Show
    Arrested Development
    Curb your enthusiasm
    Have I Got News For You
    The Day Today
    The Office

And to my shame, I have been know to quote from The Simpsons while in company.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh and I love Blackadder, especially the final series. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I agree with Eve that you can't convince people to change their tastes in comedy. My ex was dumbfounded when I said I didn't find Ted funny. I 'got' the humour, it just didn't make me laugh.

I always loved Napoleon Dynamite but it's not something I'd expect anyone to enjoy. I've met plenty of people who hate it. Different strokes and all that!

Ya a lot of other shows mentioned in this page of the thread are funny like roseanne and a few others. I like IT crowd. I don't know but I think the inbetweeners are quiet funny too but is it a comedy though? Steve martin can be funny arlight. Never really got 'the office' though or kerb your enthusiasm or arrested development didn't get the humour in them and shameless never found it funny. Little Britain was funny and the one with the same actors in another show they were on on BBC last year, they dress up as women in some of them. Can't remember the name of the show. They can be quiet funny actors/comedians. Vicky pollard was funny sometimes but not always. The show a pint of larger and two packets of crisps one can be funny loads of others like gimmie gimmie gimmie can be funny.

Everyone is different in their taste of humour so can't change people to find something someone else finds funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Madam_X wrote: »
    Oh and I love Blackadder, especially the final series. :D

Fraiser and Blackadder are without a doubt my two favourite shows of all time.

I can't believe how many people on here didn't like friends?! From a female perspective I always thought Jennifer Aniston was a terrific comedic actress in that show. I also love Elaine in Seinfeld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

panda100 wrote: »

I can't believe how many people on here didn't like friends?! From a female perspective I always thought Jennifer Aniston was a terrific comedic actress in that show. I also love Elaine in Seinfeld.

I like Friends more the older I get!

Never really got Seinfield though could watch re-runs of Friends over and over again and still love watching them and still find Friends funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From a female perspective I always thought Jennifer Aniston was a terrific comedic actress in that show.
    Plus one, she has fantastic comic timing. I saw her demonstrate that in a beer ad of all things. She's(IMHO) a very good comedic actress. One of the best IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

From a female perspective I always thought Jennifer Aniston was a terrific comedic actress in that show.

Totally agree. An unfashionable opinion, sadly. She would easily trump Zooey Deschanel as a comic actress but guess which one is more likely to be lauded these days? I like Peri Gilpin in Frasier too.
    I can't believe how many people on here didn't like friends?!

It's not fashionable to like it. But I think it has many merits. And Chandler Bing is a genuinely great TV character, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Quorum wrote: »
    Totally agree. An unfashionable opinion, sadly. She would easily trump Zooey Deschanel as a comic actress but guess which one is more likely to be lauded these days? I like Peri Gilpin in Frasier too.

It's not fashionable to like it. But I think it has many merits. And Chandler Bing is a genuinely great TV character, IMO.

Jennifer Anniston played the character well. Didn't think she stood out in Horrible Bosses. Laurie Metcalfe from Roseanne and I think she's Sheldons mother in Big Bang Theory. She's really good

I think the blonde girl in Scrubs is actually really good with that character. When she's going off on mad tangents about apple theifs and the like, she's great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Bassic

Maybe the endless repeats of Friends hasn't helped? Great sitcom though with some unforgettable comic moments. Aniston has great comic timing. Miranda Richardson as Queen Liz in Blackadder II was brilliant.

Bassic wrote: »
    Maybe the endless repeats of Friends hasn't helped?

This is certainly a factor.
    Bassic wrote: »
    Miranda Richardson as Queen Liz in Blackadder II was brilliant.

+1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My favourite comedy show is A Bit Of Fry and Laurie. It's nothing short of genius!

I bought the DVD of all 4 series of that show in London a couple of years ago. I'd guess I've worn out the plastic on the discs themselves at this stage.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

The Fast Show never gets old for me, I still find myself falling off the couch laughing at it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

People who are saying "but is it a comedy?" in reference to some shows that others find funny - does it matter? SATC for example, is not a sit-com, wouldn't be classed as a comedy, but you can still find it funny. The Sopranos, 6 Feet Under would have a lot of dark humour but wouldn't be classed as comedy. Is the question what do you find funny, or what sit-coms/stand-ups do you find funny? Because I know I've split my sides laughing at some of the items on Nationwide on occasion and I know that's not meant to be comedy :D

Advertisement