Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy

Options
  • 14-09-2012 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what ladies views of Comedy are? I know everybody has their own sense of humor but you can also pick forms of comedy that seem to appeal to women vs men and vice versa.

I know a lot of women who never liked The Simpsons for example. I don't know any guys that don't like it, I'm sure there's some who don't but maybe not as many..Then I know a lot of girls that love Family Guy for some reason.

Sex and the City was meant to be a comedy but I didn't see where the humor was meant to be. I personally never really enjoyed Friends, I knew guys who did but it seemed when it was current every girl I knew loved it.

I have yet to watch a female standup comedian that I actually enjoyed.

I've watched many very funny female comedic actors so it's not that women can't be funny, I just personally haven't been inclined to laugh at female stand ups.

What do the ladies here laugh at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

I've yet to find a funny woman comedian. That's not to say women aren't funny, sure look at the funny feckers in the chat thread. :)

But in saying that I also don't find that many American standups funny either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Would agree with the point made that I don't really find women comedians funny. They all peddle out the same material to make fun of and well, its never funny.
    I've never really seen the simpsons as a comedy either, like, I will watch it if it was on, but it wouldn't be like "hahahaha" the whole way through it, a lot of it will go over my head.

If Tommy Tiernan stopped roaring all his jokes, I would find him pretty funny. I love Dane Cook. I like sarcastic humor. I would find the likes of fawlty towers or whatever funny, I don't know, I would have said before I find most things funny but thinking about it more, maybe Im quite picky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Again, agreeing with the above posts regarding good female comediens- there are none! It's so boring, "periods, blah blah, kids, blah blah, men are d!cks, blah blah". And the only time I have heard a deviation from that route are those that include race (Shappi Khorsandi, Andy Osho). A couple of my female friends are by far the funniest people around but if you put them on a stage, this may not translate.

I actually really enjoy comedy and there are some comedians that I love (Jon Richardson, Mickey Flanagan, Michael McIntyre to name a few). The only time I REALLY laugh out loud watching TV tends to be watching these lads, even though I am a fan of sitcoms.

I REALLY hate Family Guy, American Dad and all those animated "comedy" shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I was wondering what ladies views of Comedy are?

That's a bit like asking what ladies views of art are, it's completely subjective.

Sarah Millican is pretty much the only female stand-up I've found funny. I love Tina Fey's humour but I've never seen her doing stand-up.

The Simpsons is my all-time favourite tv programme, I quote it constantly. I do like Family Guy, but just never made a point of watching it, IYKWIM.

I absolutely loathe Michael McIntyre. Nobody in the world finds him as funny as he finds himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Sarah Millican is pretty much the only female stand-up I've found funny. I love Tina Fey's humour but I've never seen her doing stand-up.

The Simpsons is my all-time favourite tv programme, I quote it constantly. I do like Family Guy, but just never made a point of watching it, IYKWIM.

I absolutely loathe Michael McIntyre. Nobody in the world finds him as funny as he finds himself.

Damn, I forgot about her!! She is very funny!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

tina fey is very funny but i havent seen her do stand up
    i did see a female comedian doing stand up once who i thought was hilarious but i cant remember her name

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I know a lot of women who never liked The Simpsons for example. I don't know any guys that don't like it, I'm sure there's some who don't but maybe not as many..Then I know a lot of girls that love Family Guy for some reason.

Let me be the first guy who doesn't like the Simpsons then. It is old and tired. I liked it when I was 12 but wouldn't be bothered to watch it now.

I saw a female comedian in the Ha'penny House one night some years ago that was absolutely hilarious. I never heard from her since though so maybe the period/kids jokes are the only way female comedians can make it.

I still goto comedy clubs regularly enough but sadly there is a lack of females on the circuit at the moment. Deirdre O'Kane is the only one I can think off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Gina Yashere is a good female stand up comedian. Love Tina Fey, but haven't seen her do stand up. Sarah Silverman is also very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Loved the Simpsons but haven't enjoyed any of the new stuff going back about 4 years so don't really watch it anymore. Enjoyed family guy in my early 20s but bit 'meh' about it now. I find a lot of stand up cringey and tired and desperately unfunny. Anyone who stands there reeling out sh1t old jokes or telling very clearly rehearsed/fake stories or doing 'bits'. Prefer ranty, clever stand-up if I'm going to watch it, been enjoying a lot of old George Carlin on netflix over the last few weeks.

I haven't come across a female standup that I find funny but I don't really watch a lot of standup. Absolute favourite funny thing at the moment is Always Sunny in Philadelphia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Would agree with the point made that I don't really find women comedians funny. They all peddle out the same material to make fun of and well, its never funny.
    I've never really seen the simpsons as a comedy either, like, I will watch it if it was on, but it wouldn't be like "hahahaha" the whole way through it, a lot of it will go over my head.

If Tommy Tiernan stopped roaring all his jokes, I would find him pretty funny. I love Dane Cook. I like sarcastic humor. I would find the likes of fawlty towers or whatever funny, I don't know, I would have said before I find most things funny but thinking about it more, maybe Im quite picky.

How many female comedians have you seen or can you name?
    Wiki lists over 300.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Women_comedians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love Sarah Millican and Miranda Hart. They are the only two female comedians I find funny.

Andy Parsons and Al Murray are probably the only two male comedians I can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I agree, Gina Yashere and Sarah Millican are the only female stand-ups I've seen that I found funny. In terms of male stand-ups, I like Dara O' Briain, Neil Delamere, Alan Carr, Des Bishop, Michael McIntyre.

I do like The Simpsons though so not all girls hate it. I like Family Guy too but don't really like American Dad.

I also find the lolcats funny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I like Tina Fey, Sarah Millican is funnier on chat shows or Mock The Week than on her standup, Nina Conti is funny, Margaret Cho is a scream, there's a handful of others. But a lot of them are way too overreliant on the same material. It'd be a challenge to find a female comedian who's material mostly revolves around being a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm not a big fan of female comedians either. I like Sarah Millican, but I really don't like Tina Fey or Sarah Silverman or that whole brand of American comedy. Just don't get it.

As far as men go, Dylan Moran is hilarious obviously and probably my favourite stand-up comedian. I also like Mickey Flanagan and Dara O'Briain. I think at the moment, British and Irish stand-ups have the edge over Americans, but historically, the Americans have had more than their fair share of brilliant comedians. I love some of the older guys like Richard Pryor, George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg. Bill Hicks' stuff still stands up as totally relevant too, almost 20 years on. Not a huge fan of the more contemporary comedians like Chris Rock. Some of his material is quite good, but I don't like the delivery. Reminds me of a preacher or something.

With regards to TV shows, The Simpsons I could take or leave, but American sitcoms do have the edge for me. I like the British Office and the Inbetweeners, and I find British chat shows and such to be a lot better and a lot funnier than anything like Letterman or Conan O' Brian, but Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, South Park, Workaholics and Arrested Development are all brilliant. But, of course, nothing stands up to the hilarity of Father Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just to risk being a complete stereotype here, I think Ellen deGeneres standup is hilarious. Not really the early stuff from the 80's but her show "Here and now" is hilarious. She really breaks away from the typical "woman" jokes. You can watch the whole thing on YouTube, I'd highly recommend it.

Just to risk being a complete stereotype here, I think Ellen deGeneres standup is hilarious. Not really the early stuff from the 80's but her show "Here and now" is hilarious. She really breaks away from the typical "woman" jokes. You can watch the whole thing on YouTube, I'd highly recommend it.

Can't believe I forgot Ellen. I like her!

I also think Joan Rivers is kinda funny. Wouldn't watch her stuff with the parents around though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I also think Joan Rivers is kinda funny. Wouldn't watch her stuff with the parents around though!

I forgot Joan, I think she's hilarious. My parents love her.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Can't believe I forgot Ellen. I like her!

Love her - totally forgot about her too! She's brill!

I like Ellen in general, her show is light and fluffy entertainment but its entertaining, her hunt for George Clooney stuff is brilliant and she doesnt take herself too seriously.

Sarah Silverman I'm not a big fan of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I love Sarah Millican and Miranda Hart. They are the only two female comedians I find funny.

Yeah I like these two...

I love Joan Rivers. I saw her doing stand up twice in New York and nearly rolled around the floor laughing.

Cant stand a lot of male Irish comedians who think being funny involves using f++k every second word.

• Advertisement

Meave Higgins, there's someone I can't stand. awful, awful comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I like the Simpsons, never a huge fan of Family Guy, never liked Sex in the City, never got the whole Friends gig, either...so much for the gender generalisations. :D

TBH, I don't really rate comedy according to a particular comedian/comedienne either, for me it can totally depend on the medium. Even live, some gigs I've found hilarious and others awful from the same person so it's not like once funny, always funny. My favourite in terms of % belly laughs to stage minutes would probably have to be Billy Connolly - but even then I've found some routines much better than others and most of his best stuff is decades old now...same goes for female comediennes - loved Gina Yashere on that panel show, thought she was completely unfunny live in stand up...same for Dylan Moran - loved Black Books, hated the whole carefully orchestrated drunken bumbling routine in stand up...give me Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard live any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

On female comedians
    +1 Nina Conti

I like the Simpsons, never a huge fan of Family Guy, never liked Sex in the City, never got the whole Friends gig, either...so much for the gender generalisations. :D

TBH, I don't really rate comedy according to a particular comedian/comedienne either, for me it can totally depend on the medium. Even live, some gigs I've found hilarious and others awful from the same person so it's not like once funny, always funny. My favourite in terms of % belly laughs to stage minutes would probably have to be Billy Connolly - but even then I've found some routines much better than others and most of his best stuff is decades old now...same goes for female comediennes - loved Gina Yashere on that panel show, thought she was completely unfunny live in stand up...same for Dylan Moran - loved Black Books, hated the whole carefully orchestrated drunken bumbling routine in stand up...give me Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard live any day.

A lot of comedians excel on panel shows but suck at standup, take Frankie Boyle, he was the highlight of Mock The Week but his standup is just being being a mean spirited prick,its grand in small doses and acerbic oneliners but it got boring after an hour of it.

Eddie Izzard I never liked when I was younger but I love him now, his rambling but pitch perfect routines are fantastic. I still can't hear a cat purring without having his "they're under the couch digging for gold" line pop into my head :pac:

And the worst comedian ever...Andrew Maxwell.

I find David O' Doherty a bit cringeworthy. He stands out like a sore thumb in 8 Out Of 10 Cats.

I much prefer panel-based comedy myself. Dara O' Briain would be my favourite stand up. Jason Manford is pretty funny too although I think his accent helps to add to the hilarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I love comedy. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor are my favourite comedy duo of all time. I love anything by Mel Brooks. I can quote the Python films from heart. I cried when Leslie Nielsen passed.
    I don't like romcoms (with a few exceptions). I haven't like the Simpsons in years but Futurama is class. I also think that Family Guy has had it's time. I think modern day spoofs are woeful (with the exception of Scary Movie 3).
    I like stand up but as others had said it's mostly male stand ups I like.

My mates, male and female, like the a lot of the same comedies as me (what made us become friends in a lot of cases). Sex really doesn't come into comedy preferences in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I was wondering what ladies views of Comedy are? I know everybody has their own sense of humor but you can also pick forms of comedy that seem to appeal to women vs men and vice versa.

Sex and the City was meant to be a comedy but I didn't see where the humor was meant to be. I personally never really enjoyed Friends, I knew guys who did but it seemed when it was current every girl I knew loved it.

I've watched many very funny female comedic actors so it's not that women can't be funny, I just personally haven't been inclined to laugh at female stand ups.

What do the ladies here laugh at?

I'm not sure why this thread is in The Ladies' Lounge. No matter what gender, tastes in comedy vary widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

In my experience both guys and girls have said to me "oh you MUST watch this show/see this comedian. He's hilarious!" To which I sadly shake my head and think "you don't know me at all...:(" :pac: Because my boyfriend and I have very similar taste in comedy and we just don't get stuff that cracks other people up. So I don't think it's a gender divide.

I think I like satire and witty comedy best. Often stuff that makes me smile and nod and say "brilliant!"

I love Modern Family and New Girl. I did enjoy Friends, but I was a lot younger and when I watch re-runs I don't find them as funny. I loved South Park when it came out first. And - I'm gonna say it - I liked Sex and the City! Not LOL funny, but I enjoyed the banter between the characters.

I'm not mad about any kind of stand-up really. I like Dara O'Briain and Tim Minchin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Sharrow wrote: »
    Wiki lists over 300.
    Yes and I bet most of them make jokes about periods and hating men. I'm not interested in female comedians. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Bassic

Sharrow wrote: »
    Wiki lists over 300.

Ah Lucille Ball was a very funny woman.The late great Madeline Khan is one comedian I always had a soft spot for, likewise Gilda Radner. Tina Fay and Amy Poehler are great writers and performers. I like intelligence, something that makes me think of something in a new way and gives me a laugh.I also like Zooey Deschanel she is quirky. Oh and Victoria Wood and Julie Walters in Acorn Antiques class!

Advertisement