Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes and I bet most of them make jokings about periods and hating men. I'm not interested in female comedians. Jesus.

:rolleyes:

So you think all women who are comedians only use that sort of material?
    Ok so, your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Sharrow wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

So you think all women who are comedians only use that sort of material?
    Ok so, your loss.

No, not all women. Just the drivel I've already encountered. I have no doubt there's fantastic women comedians, I just don't happen to know of any and have no interest in sifting through 90% of crap to find the gems. I don't care enough about liking women comedians to actively go and find one so as I can say there is one i like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Sharrow, xDramaxQueenx - your constant sniping at each other is both annoying and detracting from threads. Take it to PM or learn to ignore each other or you'll both be taking an enforced holiday from tLL.

If you want to discuss/comment on this moderator action please do so ONLY via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To me having a good sense of humour and having a laugh is what matter to me more I suppose. There are certain types of humour's that wouldn't go down very well with me if the joke is insulting or just bad taste or just silly that it not worth laughing at. Then there are things that are full of humour you can't help but laugh.

I know some people's sense of humour vary and not all of their humour gels with someone else's humour. If you share a similar sense of humour means you can have a laugh without it being strange or seeming weird or in bad taste. Sharing a similar sense of humour can be beneficial I suppose but if not one or other party will not get the joke and not seemingly funny to one person compared to the other.

Anything that is worth laughing at and having a joke. Clean by all means nothing extremely rude unless it any bit funny. Find crude or insulting jokes a turn off.

I'd like most of the sitcoms like Fr Ted, Friends, Mrs Brown's Boy's, HIMYM, The big bang theory, the simpsons, so many others anything that has a good joke and has something you can laugh at and with, something comical. For me I could just about watch south park its funny but not always while other ones I just don't get family guy or of the cartoons similar to it.

Same applies to stand up comedians, some of them are funny to me and other's are not. I used to like Tommy Tiernan but find his jokes a bit offensive. I prefer Pat Short, Des Bishop, Brendan Grace, Graham Norton, Neil Delmire is ok. Wouldn't be gone on a few others now like Billy Connelly I just not keen on his humour. There are plenty other comedian's that are quiet good and funny.

In terms of films, the film would have to be seriously funny and have to get a lot of laughs or more than just one laugh out of it at least to be worth watching. Like Ted, Bridget Jones. Many films that include Ben Stiller, Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Grant, Matthew Perry, Kate Hudson, Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz they often be in comedies, there is a whole list of actors and actresses renowned for staring in comedies. I'm really liking Zoey in New Girl, one of my new favourite comedy programme.

One film I didn't get was hall pass I didn't think it was entirely funny didn't like the gags in it to be honest. Some parts you could laugh at but even the hangover and Ted be a way better than 'hall pass'. Plenty other films similar. Really like romantic comedies not just films that are specifically comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I follow a lot of very funny women on Twitter, including Sarah Millican (who I'd love to see) and Shappi Khorsandi both of whom I'd quite like to see do stand up. I'd quite like to see more women in stand up. Although I think stand up needs to expand to meet women rather than women fitting into the current idea of stand up.

An example is I was at a show a few weeks back, it was billed as an artistic show rather than a comedy show. It was however extremely funny. The person doing it was looking for feedback on it. She said she used to be in stand up and wanted to get away from the idea of telling jokes or being amusing and go for a more general approach to a theme. In fact she was quite adamant that she didn't want the show to transform into stand up. That felt really weird for me because I've never tried to distinguish between a "Stand Up" show and a "Comedy Show" and I didn't see any delineation. I felt like telling her that what she did while not stand up, per se, was still very funny and she shouldn't be afraid of that. I think there's some strange idea of what stand up should be, and a lot of women are trying to fit into that idea instead of pitching themselves towards the simpler idea of being in front of an audience while simply being funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Victoria Wood - nothing dirty, nothing blue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Malari wrote: »
    And - I'm gonna say it - I liked Sex and the City! Not LOL funny, but I enjoyed the banter between the characters.

Me too. I've quoted lines from the show in conversation on the sly, not saying where it comes from, and very frequently have both men and women laughing. Usually Miranda lines. :cool::) People are always surprised when I tell them it's an SATC reference.

Bassic wrote: »
    I also like Zooey Deschanel she is quirky.

Crap comic actress, IMO. The quirky thing gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Quorum wrote: »
    I'm not sure why this thread is in The Ladies' Lounge. No matter what gender, tastes in comedy vary widely.

I know it does but I actually heard a radio segment where they were talking about in a general sense mens sense of humor vs womens. Talking about how women seem to laugh at things like Sex and the City and some girls (not women) will tell you "Wait until you meant my friend, she drinks like 3 daquiri's and dances on the bar, she's hilarious, you'll love her" That was there example of early 20's girls. Then for younger girls again they were saying how they always listed a good sense of humor as a high priority for a guy but it seems like that's not the case. That women will just laugh at good looking guys jokes no matter how crappy they are. I just found it interesting and thought to myself. I've only ever had one girlfriend that liked The Simpsons.

On the point of American Comedians. What do ladies think of somebody like Mitch Hedberg? Oh and how about Louis C.K, I know he's had a couple of routines where he talks kind of harshly about his wife and kids. I found it funny because of his honesty, knowing it was his inner thoughts but he still loved them

Yeah, there's one I can't stand. She did an iPhone ad in America, every time it comes on I want to punch the screen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Bassic

To each their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wompa1 wrote: »

On the point of American Comedians. What do ladies think of somebody like Mitch Hedberg? Oh and how about Louis C.K, I know he's had a couple of routines where he talks kind of harshly about his wife and kids. I found it funny because of his honesty, knowing it was his inner thoughts but he still loved them

Both amazing comedians, Mitch's surreal observations about simple things. "I saw an escalator with an out of order sign on it, escalators can't break down, they just turn into stairs" and Louis CK's savagely honest look at his personal life is hilarious. His tv show is very funny too. I can definitely see why some people wouldnt like his humour, its pretty harsh and dark at times but I think he's the best comedian in the world right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't really watch stand up. I've only ever been to one show (Joe Rooney) and while it was funny it wasn't split my sides laughable. When stand up is on the TV I tend to turn over immediately.

As far as comedy shows go I hate animated comedies like family guy, cleveland show. I also hated the office, and afterwards anything that had Ricky Gervais in it. I watched 'Miranda' a few times and just didn't think it was that funny.

I do enjoy The Big Bang Theory and I did enjoy SATC but only in small episodic doses, the films are too much! Friends and Father Ted were good for the first few repeats but are getting old now.

Comedic actors I really enjoy would be Steve Carell, Will Ferrell and I really enjoy when mostly serious actors like Tim Robbins and Philip Seymour Hoffman play comedic roles.

krudler wrote: »
    Both amazing comedians, Mitch's surreal observations about simple things. "I saw an escalator with an out of order sign on it, escalators can't break down, they just turn into stairs" and Louis CK's savagely honest look at his personal life is hilarious. His tv show is very funny too. I can definitely see why some people wouldnt like his humour, its pretty harsh and dark at times but I think he's the best comedian in the world right now.

I've seen people say they don't like American comedy before but then when you pry a little deeper and start mentioning things they go ya I like that but...

Louis CK, George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Some of Dave Chappelles stuff.

I like British Comedians and for some reason especially like Canadians! I've never been to Canada so I don't have a fixation with the place because I'm a blow in there or anything. They just seem to have a unique way about them when it comes to comedy. I like Dara O'Brian and Ed Byrnes stand up but they don't seem likable on panel shows or in interviews at all.

It's funny the comment how people can be better suited to panel shows than stand-up. There's a few comedians that I'll go and download a late night chat show the night after it airs just to see them as a guest because they are so funny when being prodded for answers. Like Norm MacDonald on Conan, Dennis Miller and Letterman. Or even Howard Stern. That guy is golden

Another one for the ladies. Fr. Ted? I know quite a few that don't like it because they think it's too vulgar and low brow. What say you the ladies of Boards?

I've seen people say they don't like American comedy before but then when you pry a little deeper and start mentioning things they go ya I like that but...

Louis CK, George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Some of Dave Chappelles stuff.

I like British Comedians and for some reason especially like Canadians! I've never been to Canada so I don't have a fixation with the place because I'm a blow in there or anything. They just seem to have a unique way about them when it comes to comedy. I like Dara O'Brian and Ed Byrnes stand up but they don't seem likable on panel shows or in interviews at all.

It's funny the comment how people can be better suited to panel shows than stand-up. There's a few comedians that I'll go and download a late night chat show the night after it airs just to see them as a guest because they are so funny when being prodded for answers. Like Norm MacDonald on Conan, Dennis Miller and Letterman. Or even Howard Stern. That guy is golden

All great comedians. Norm MacDonald is very funny too especially on talk shows. I watched one of his standup shows on netflix and its hit and miss, when he's funny he's very funny though.

Another one for the ladies. Fr. Ted? I know quite a few that don't like it because they think it's too vulgar and low brow. What say you the ladies of Boards?

Every female friend of mine loves it as do I.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I know a lot of women who never liked The Simpsons for example. I don't know any guys that don't like it, I'm sure there's some who don't but maybe not as many.

Does anyone at all enjoy The Simpsons past series 9-11?:confused: It used to be a fantastic show, crude with a lot of slapstick, yes, but it also oozed wit and intelligence. But it really lost the run of itself around the decade mark and became witless and nonsensical while overly reliant on guest appearances. Not that, that's unusual it's very hard for a show to run for such a long time and remain fresh. It's why a lot of the great classic comedies actually had very short runs, if they'd continued on into hundreds of episodes the format would have lost it's way completely. South Park occasionally pulls it off as while a lot of their later series aren't great, occasionally they still put out a gem of an episode.

Friends had a few good years but it was a comedy with a lot of soapy/dramatic elements, so wasn't just about the laughs. It was one of the first comedies to do this (Cheers also did to a lesser extent) so part of it's popularity had to do with the fact that it's format fresh. By series 5 the characters had become caricatures of themselves and certain drama aspects were being dragged out way too much (like the Ross/Rachel will they/won't they crap). But quite a few more recent comedies owe a lot to Friends as that show did change the way the US networks were willing to accept comedic set-ups.

The best comedy on television at that point, imo, was Frasier. They were able to pull off some fantastic high farce and they did it extremely well. And the dialogue was brilliantly witty. It also went downhill by the end of it's run but not as drastically as many shows that ran for a lot less than 11 years.

I'm not wild on any stand up comediennes that I've seen. As has been said they can be great on panel/sketch shows but not many have great routines. Sarah Silverman, for example, irritates the hell out of me in her stand up routines but watching the 'I'm Fúcking Matt Damon' video in context always makes me chuckle. I love many of Tina Fey's SNL sketches and 30 Rock is very funny, especially the earlier seasons. But any of her movies that I've seen have been dross.

Personally I often find non-comedies can be funnier than a lot of comedies. Shows like Buffy, Freaks and Geeks and Chuck weren't straight up comedies but they could be hilarious at times. And my favourite comedies are ones who don't shy away from crude jokes, farcical elements or even outright nastiness but which also have intelligence and wit at their core.

iguana wrote: »
    Does anyone at all enjoy The Simpsons past series 9-11?:confused: It used to be a fantastic show, crude with a lot of slapstick, yes, but it also oozed wit and intelligence. But it really lost the run of itself around the decade mark and became witless and nonsensical while overly reliant on guest appearances. Not that, that's unusual it's very hard for a show to run for such a long time and remain fresh. It's why a lot of the great classic comedies actually had very short runs, if they'd continued on into hundreds of episodes the format would have lost it's way completely. South Park occasionally pulls it off as while a lot of their later series aren't great, occasionally they still put out a gem of an episode.

Friends had a few good years but it was a comedy with a lot of soapy/dramatic elements, so wasn't just about the laughs. It was one of the first comedies to do this (Cheers also did to a lesser extent) so part of it's popularity had to do with the fact that it's format fresh. By series 5 the characters had become caricatures of themselves and certain drama aspects were being dragged out way too much (like the Ross/Rachel will they/won't they crap). But quite a few more recent comedies owe a lot to Friends as that show did change the way the US networks were willing to accept comedic set-ups.

The best comedy on television at that point, imo, was Frasier. They were able to pull off some fantastic high farce and they did it extremely well. And the dialogue was brilliantly witty. It also went downhill by the end of it's run but not as drastically as many shows that ran for a lot less than 11 years.

I never really liked Friends or Frasier. I know a lot of people who do. Friends has aged terribly, it seems so outdated now. An ex of mine watched 2 episodes every evening, it was painful. The Simpsons from Season 3 or 4 to 9 or 10 were excellent. The episode where it turned and started heading down hill was where Skinner was Tamzarian or whatever. A few laughs, not great, horrible storyline and then after that it went downhill. The golden era was when Conan O'Brien was on the writing staff. Homer Goes to College, Monorail etc. Smartest comedy every written imo. Deep Space Homer is amazing too.

South Park was terrible from season 1-4. Then it went through a great run. In the last 2 seasons it's been hit and miss though. I agree with you.

This thread may have run it's course though. I was just wondering the differences of humor, I knew it was subjective per person, not gender. I just always thought there was certain things that seemed gender specific.

Like in that episode of Futurama the three guys are acting like the three stooges and Fry is laughing. Lila say's that's not funny, now Sex and the City, THAT'S FUNNY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I think it's because women are generally more conservative than men, I know quite a few women who are appalled upon hearing a dirty joke.

If more women were to become as liberal as Joan Rivers there would be a higher quantity and quality of female comedians imo.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »

I like Frasier, but the Simpsons seasons 2-9 easily trumps it. The wit and during these seasons equals and at times exceeds the best of Frasier. I always was surprised at how badly the Frasier writers dropped the ball with the character of Daphne, and her awful family. Such hideous caricatures. So when people talk about the wit of Frasier, I can only about 80% agree.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I like Frasier, but the Simpsons seasons 2-9 easily trumps it. The wit and during these seasons equals and at times exceeds the best of Frasier. I always was surprised at how badly the Frasier writers dropped the ball with the character of Daphne, and her awful family. Such hideous caricatures. So when people talk about the wit of Frasier, I can only about 80% agree.

OK, how about we agree that the Sideshow Bob episodes of The Simpsons were the funniest things on television ever? That way we are both right?:D

Daphne's family were terrible and a real marker of when the show started to drop in quality. I could have just about accepted with them in the series with Daphne and Donny's wedding but after that they really should never have been seen again. Once Daphne and Niles got together the series needed to move on to a new hook and a much more sombre show interspersed with the ludicrous Moons for 'humour' definitely wasn't the way to go. But the decline in quality on Frasier didn't happen as early and wasn't as drastic as most shows that run for so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

How did I forget Big Bang Theory and Friends! :eek:

I knew I forgot someone, Maria Bamford, really off the wall stuff but I love her voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

I'm such a comedy nerd, I have at least 20 comedy box sets and stand-up dvds. I particularly love The Thick of It, Green Wing, Peep Show, Black Books, Blackadder and Flight of the Conchords (there are several more, but I'll keep the list relatively short). My favorite stand-ups are Stewart Lee, Simon Amstell, David O'Doherty, Tim Minchin, Dylan Moran and Eddie Izzard.

The only thing that I'm not a big fan of are panel shows, the only two that I enjoy are QI and Would I Lie to You. There are some great comedy podcasts though, I really like The Bugle (comedy/current affairs), Richard Herring's many podcasts and Josie Long and Robin Ince's podcasts.

There are certainly funny female stand ups, but I find most people have preconceived ideas that a standup won't be funny purely because she's female. I really like Josie Long, Isy Suttie, Susan Calman and Shappi Khorsandi. There are lots of funny women on YouTube too, particularly Natalie Tran (Communitychannel), I love her videos.

(And to answer the OP's questions, I can quote large passages of Father Ted and The Simpsons verbatim, I watched both constantly when I was a child.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I'm a fan of quite a lot of female comedians. People like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, (Saturday Night Live has a good track record of hiring funny ladies), Samantha Bee from The Daily Show.

One female stand up I quite enjoy is Tig Notaro.

There are ones who I literally can't stand like Chelsea Handler and Sarah Silverman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I've never laughed at a female comedian's jokes. Granted, I've seen my fair share of crap male comedians too though.

In my experience, the female comedians would try to pathetically go for shock factor talking about their vagina or periods. Also, Deirdre O kane is a head wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Till this day I still find Fr Ted hilarious could laugh again and again it was such a funny comedy. Never gets old, could watch re-runs of it and of Friends no problem.

Ya I used to watch Fraiser, found it funny and cybil. There was another one I can't remember the name of it back in the 90's was american. There are so many others i'v found hilarious. The Nanny, cosby show, two guys a girl and a pizza place, there was one with kirsty alley, cheers was funny but not my cup of tea.

Everybody loves raymond is a good one, loads of other american comedies that be really funny as well as those that be Irish or in the UK. I say most of them on Watch or gold on Sky are very funny. My family have to be a favourite of mine from the UK sitcoms.

Darma and greg I think and same actress was in another one in the past year or two. So many others I can't think of them all. Cold feet I don't know if you consider that a comedy but was funny and the one with a comedy with 'donkey' in the title can't remember. ah only fools and horses is another good one.

I prefer sitcoms or a funny film to stand up comedians as there are only a few I'd like.

Aurum wrote: »
    There are certainly funny female stand ups, but I find most people have preconceived ideas that a standup won't be funny purely because she's female.

+1. I believe even the good ones aren't given a chance by many people

I seem to be alone here but Sarah Silverman has made me laugh hard on many an occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd never heard of Mitch Hedburg or Louis CK so I YouTubed them and watched about 10 minutes of each. Mitch was quite like Milton Jones, but I prefer the latter's delivery or observations. Louis made me smile a little bit, but not because I think the jokes were in bad taste or anything, I just think sometimes he didn't go far enough! He could have done more with the material or something because in general I love dark humour.

I do like Fr Ted and I find the Sminky Shorts to be a similar type of humour and some of those really made me laugh recently.:pac: :pac::pac:

I think the British sense of humour also really appeals to me. If anyone watches MotoGP on Eurosport, Toby and Julian often make me laugh more than any sitcom. And Carlton Kirby during cycling really annoys some people but I think he's hilarious :D

Advertisement