Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not great fan of sitcoms, there are very few good ones. Of the newer ones I like Modern Family and very little else. Black Adder is probably my favorite, Yes Minister and Father Ted are also brilliant. Simpsons overstayed their welcome for about 10 years.

My favorite comedy comes from dramas like House, GoT, Boardwalk Empire and some topical shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus one, she has fantastic comic timing. I saw her demonstrate that in a beer ad of all things. She's(IMHO) a very good comedic actress. One of the best IMHO.

I'd agree with this, she was easily the best of the female characters on it, Ross being the best of the male characters (not so much for the first few seasons but after he went mental he was comedy gold)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dfx- wrote: »
    I bought the DVD of all 4 series of that show in London a couple of years ago. I'd guess I've worn out the plastic on the discs themselves at this stage.:cool:

I'm gonna whip them out again and watch it from start to finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

krudler wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, she was easily the best of the female characters on it, Ross being the best of the male characters (not so much for the first few seasons but after he went mental he was comedy gold)

I think that as Ross got more funny, Joey became a parody of himself. It seems he dropped an IQ point or ten as the series went on. However, Ross' character developed in a more believable way.

+1 on Jennifer Aniston being great in Friends. She's the kind of funny people wish they could be - well I do anyway!

Ilyana wrote: »
    I think that as Ross got more funny, Joey became a parody of himself. It seems he dropped an IQ point or ten as the series went on. However, Ross' character developed in a more believable way.

+1 on Jennifer Aniston being great in Friends. She's the kind of funny people wish they could be - well I do anyway!

when it first started Ross was a drip who just whinged all the time, after the Red Ross stuff ( "myyy sandwiiiich!") he just got funnier and funnier. both David Schwimmer and Jennifer Aniston have excellent comic timing. the episode where he keeps getting spray tanned was on the other week its hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anniston did spend a part of her early career doing skit comedy on The Edge (a poor SNL clone).

I've not seen her do standup but @Twistedlilkitty on twitter cracks me up at times.

Aniston was the best thing about Horrible Bosses as well, her and Charlie Day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I liked friends. Love father ted. Peep show is pretty funny, but I don't like too much cringe humour.
    I'm fairly fussy about stand up comedians in general, the main one I like is dara o'briain, I think he is hilarious, always has me in stitches.
    Always loved the simpsons. Family guy is quite funny, the others are just copies doing it to death. Catherine Tate, she's hilarious, I think. I like her show and I liked her as a Doctor companion.
    Frasier was brilliant.

Netflix thinks I will like "the thick of it", so I will have to watch it sometime.
    I think one of my favourite comedy shows in the world has to be Arrested Development though. Absolutely brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I would have always found all of the cast members of friends to be very funny. Though some more than others. Chandler and Phoebe were the funniest for me.

Found all the others to be funny too and Jennifer Aniston she can be funny in some films but not all of them only some. Matt Lee Blanc only really funny in Friends and Joey any other stint I wouldn't have found him funny.

While Matthew Perry be the funniest of them I think, in a lot of films he been in he be quiet funny. David really only funny in Friends though, as he hasn't been in many films since friends.

They are all great actors though, refreshing when they act in different roles/characters different from their characters in friends.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I liked friends. Love father ted. Peep show is pretty funny, but I don't like too much cringe humour.
    I'm fairly fussy about stand up comedians in general, the main one I like is dara o'briain, I think he is hilarious, always has me in stitches.
    Always loved the simpsons. Family guy is quite funny, the others are just copies doing it to death. Catherine Tate, she's hilarious, I think. I like her show and I liked her as a Doctor companion.
    Frasier was brilliant.

Netflix thinks I will like "the thick of it", so I will have to watch it sometime.
    I think one of my favourite comedy shows in the world has to be Arrested Development though. Absolutely brilliant!!!

easily one of the finest tv comedies ever, and the new season is only a few months away :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

"don't take that tone with me, he's MY son and I want you to make him stop calling me!"
    "there's always money in the banana stand!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9TXVMkQ29g

For this alone, I will always love Arrested Development.

bluewolf wrote: »
    "don't take that tone with me, he's MY son and I want you to make him stop calling me!"
    "there's always money in the banana stand!"

"I got the worst fcuking attorneys..."

"someone needs a banger in the mouth!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

krudler wrote: »
    "I got the worst fcuking attorneys..."

"someone needs a banger in the mouth!"

NO TOUCHING!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

One of my most favourite comedy sketches be the one with the fonejacker/facejacker, absolutely brilliant and hilarious for the first couple of seasons! Though have a good few favourite sketches like some mothers have them and a number of others.

NO TOUCHING!

*thunk*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

There are lots of woman who are funny. I like female comedians though.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Julia Davis does black comedy very well, anyone remember Nighty Night? I also think Rebecca Front is underrated, she acts a straight role/set-up superbly. Neither do stand-up AFAIK, but Glenn Wool is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Sarah Milican is bloody filthy.

Maria Bamford is the kind of female comedian I do like, just off the wall and quirky but very funny without resorting to the cliches:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Sarah Milican is bloody filthy.

But so funny!

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I think Dara O'Brien is just brilliant.

I seen Dara O'Brien on his craic dealer tour, he was absolutely brilliant! Would definitely recommend seeing him live and from memory the tickets were pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Nina conte and monk are pretty good, as for for stand up, if you;ve never been to the cat laughs in Kilkenny I strongly recommend going

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I think television roles, as opposed to stand-up, offer a much better platform for women in comedy.

As a previous poster said, there is an assumption that female stand-ups just aren't funny, and I think that becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When, from the second you walk out on stage, people are expecting you to be crap, cringy, embarrassing, just no good - it's awful hard to break past that. Even if your material is no better or worse than who was on before you.

Whereas on television, women are doing amazing right now :P

Personally I love - Tina Fey in 30 rock, Lena Dunham in Girls, Amy Poehler in Parks and Recreation, Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Veep, Miranda (?) in Miranda on BBC. Then all the classics like Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.... the list could go on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Surprised only one person so far mentioned Shappi Khorsandi. She's one of the very few female standups I've actually laughed at. Joan Rivers being another.
    Sadly there are too many on the other list, - has Sarah Millican ever said anything funny?

Funniest woman I've ever met is my OH, perfect comedic timing and quirky ways of looking at the world. :D. She's also beautiful smart and kind, so I've got it made :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

johnr1 wrote: »
    Sadly there are too many on the other list, - has Sarah Millican ever said anything funny?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We have the same kinda humour so love everything from The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle, Modern Family, Father Ted etc.

We also go to a lot of comedy shows and love Tommy Tiernan, Frankie Boyle, Bill Bailey, Dara O'Briain and the like!

Advertisement