Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Factions Server 1.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cidmon

more thought should have went into the server before it went up as in rules and what to have in it

4 of us have been playin on another factions server for the past few days and even tho there is some well established factions, due to the server setup we have been able to compete with them

1 there is a large safe zone with shops/arenas/spleef/ffa arena/parkour challenge and the arenas offer rewards for the winners.
    having these shops lets a faction get back on its feet quick after being destroyed like what happened to us. within hours of our base being taken over we had a new base and were back raidin

2 chests can be looted anytime. this encourages traps and hiding of chests. like was said after the 1st raid on here why gain entry to a base and that be it? u gain entry you should be able to loot. with this rule there is no need for a faction member limit etc...

3 shops sell everything u could possibly need (including mob spawners) so there is an actual econemy on the server and currency is not just used to buy land... there is also player shops available where u can earn more money than by sellin to the server

end result of all this is quick paced gameplay thats is a good bit of fun as long as its not taken personally

some drastic changes are needed to get this server back on its feet and ppl need to stop bein dicks and takin things personal on here
    its a game, games are meant to be fun. the egos/personal grudges and boring gameplay are what drove us away

edit: obs is destrucatable with 8 tnt blasts might be worth lookin into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Xenon560 wrote: »
    This sounds very reasonable bar the creeper and TNT damage.
    Creeper damage just adds to survival in a way so why remove it.

Now with the TNT, as annoying as it can be due to people then making obsidian bases to prevent it, I still personally think it would be far more interesting if we ban obsidian (yes this has been suggested to death). This would mean people make bases pretty and how they want as it would make no difference to an extent what material they use, while allowing for interesting raids by making cannons which has not been done yet due to obsidian bases.

The only problem now is still the underwater aspect. Maybe a way to stop water/lava preventing TNT damage. This would also make cannons more interesting as they would need to be rebuilt each time and make them more of a one shot then raid kinda thing.

Allowing TNT and then banning all forms of defence against it will not work. You would need to ban all use of water/lava which is a lot more awkward than just banning TNT.

Banning TNT also allows for more interesting bases to be built. Instead of just building the best TNT proof base you can build, You can build mazes, traps, actual castles, towns, etc with no risk of them being destroyed which seems to be what people want. PVP with little risk of losing anything you are not carrying(Until your power is lowered enough!). A much friendly type of system.

TNT = Bunkers
    No TNT = No Bunkers.

The problem with creeper damage is that it can be used to destroy bases even if no one else is online, Also creepers are annoying.

Can more people please discuss my previous post so any flaws can be ironed out and hopefully then the server will be fixed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 aodhoneachtain

A server reset...

...voiced in previous posts:/

This pretty much sums up my opinion on faction the factions server as well.
    I would prefer if it was more about the actual PvP combat and not destroying bases which is what seems to be happening now. Maybe some form of PvP arena could solve that?

Also Celtic my apologies I was only messing around with you and realized after you logged out that I was on faction chat the whole time :-( Your stuff is in a chest where you died, give us a message if you don't have the coords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I really disagree with gav's opinion that there should be no neutral factions. There have been 5 previous maps where people played the way neutral factions want to play now. I really don't see the thrill in just being in a faction only to have everything I worked for stolen from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tiptopgolfy

Also Celtic my apologies I was only messing around with you and realized after you logged out that I was on faction chat the whole time :-( Your stuff is in a chest where you died, give us a message if you don't have the coords.

Lol! I wanted war in the first place so in a way I got what I wanted! But I would like my stuff and do know the coords!

• Advertisement

cidmon wrote: »
    more thought should have went into the server before it went up as in rules and what to have in it

4 of us have been playin on another factions server for the past few days and even tho there is some well established factions, due to the server setup we have been able to compete with them

1 there is a large safe zone with shops/arenas/spleef/ffa arena/parkour challenge and the arenas offer rewards for the winners.
    having these shops lets a faction get back on its feet quick after being destroyed like what happened to us. within hours of our base being taken over we had a new base and were back raidin

2 chests can be looted anytime. this encourages traps and hiding of chests. like was said after the 1st raid on here why gain entry to a base and that be it? u gain entry you should be able to loot. with this rule there is no need for a faction member limit etc...

3 shops sell everything u could possibly need (including mob spawners) so there is an actual econemy on the server and currency is not just used to buy land... there is also player shops available where u can earn more money than by sellin to the server

end result of all this is quick paced gameplay thats is a good bit of fun as long as its not taken personally

some drastic changes are needed to get this server back on its feet and ppl need to stop bein dicks and takin things personal on here
    its a game, games are meant to be fun. the egos/personal grudges and boring gameplay are what drove us away

edit: obs is destrucatable with 8 tnt blasts might be worth lookin into

I have played on a couple of faction servers and most of them are like that! I think ours should also be like that, I mean why can't we use /f home command? That would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cidmon

I have played on a couple of faction servers and most of them are like that! I think ours should also be like that, I mean why can't we use /f home command? That would be great!

server were on also has that its brilliant, oh and another thing it has is a combat tag. if u get hit by a player u cant log out for a set time or u loose all your armor/inventory :)

edit: by set time i mean its sumthin like 20 seconds

cidmon wrote: »
    server were on also has that its brilliant, oh and another thing it has is a combat tag. if u get hit by a player u cant log out for a set time or u loose all your armor/inventory :)

edit: by set time i mean its sumthin like 20 seconds

Yeah what is brilliant is trying to find where people hide there loot! If you leave your loot in chests by the back wall you can break down the wall and if you're just fast enough you can open the chest before it tells you you're in the wrong territory. It's great fun and adds a whole new dimension!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Botulism wrote: »
    I really disagree with gav's opinion that there should be no neutral factions. There have been 5 previous maps where people played the way neutral factions want to play now. I really don't see the thrill in just being in a faction only to have everything I worked for stolen from me.

Like I said, I'm just giving my opinion. You want to play the game like you did in the last five maps yet you're happy to trade weapons and armour etc to factions to help them. Either you're playing factions or you're not. I just feel like we're trying to cater to everyone, which for a small server like boards, it is not always possible.

That brings me into a question for Niall and cid... how many active players are on these servers you are talking about? You talk about how they are non stop action. I'm sure if those servers had 10-15 people online at a time they wouldn't be far off what we have at the moment.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Like I said, I'm just giving my opinion. You want to play the game like you did in the last five maps yet you're happy to trade weapons and armour etc to factions to help them. Either you're playing factions or you're not. I just feel like we're trying to cater to everyone, which for a small server like boards, it is not always possible.

That brings me into a question for Niall and cid... how many active players are on these servers you are talking about? You talk about how they are non stop action. I'm sure if those servers had 10-15 people online at a time they wouldn't be far off what we have at the moment.

Good point but the fact that the chests can always be opened even in another factions territory means that there is a bit more action!

• Advertisement

Good point but the fact that the chests can always be opened even in another factions territory means that there is a bit more action!

But if it was the case that chests are lootable them I'm inclined to put all my diamonds/iron blocks and valuables in my enderchest making my other chests not worth the risk of a raid. Or hiding my valuables in an undisclosed location in the middle of no where, marked by a waypoint with my minimap.

At the end of the day, if you want what's in someone's chest, you need to fight for it. That means taking on that person, killing them and claiming their land. At that point (when you have proven that you are stronger than your opponent) you can claim and access their chests.

From what I'm getting from the countless number of arguments on this thread is that people want an easy ride. People want to be able to get into someone's base with one stroke of a pick, open up a chest, take a load of loot and go.

The changes I would propose are as follows.

a) Go back to the original faction set up that we had for the test server (minus /f home)

b) Implement a plugin that prevents a user from logging if they have been attacked by an opponent for a set time limit eg 20 seconds or whatever we decide

c) Have power decrease by 2 every 24 hours a player isn't online.

d) Dramatically increase the cost of claiming land

e) Increase the power loss per death (I believe it is 4 at the moment?).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rashersandbean

But if it was the case that chests are lootable them I'm inclined to put all my diamonds/iron blocks and valuables in my enderchest making my other chests not worth the risk of a raid. Or hiding my valuables in an undisclosed location in the middle of no where, marked by a waypoint with my minimap.

At the end of the day, if you want what's in someone's chest, you need to fight for it. That means taking on that person, killing them and claiming their land. At that point (when you have proven that you are stronger than your opponent) you can claim and access their chests.

From what I'm getting from the countless number of arguments on this thread is that people want an easy ride. People want to be able to get into someone's base with one stroke of a pick, open up a chest, take a load of loot and go.

a) Go back to the original faction set up that we had for the test server (minus /f home)

b) Implement a plugin that prevents a user from logging if they have been attacked by an opponent for a set time limit eg 20 seconds or whatever we decide

Most of these points i would agree with, except point C. Most people on the server will have work/college and can't possible be on the server every night. Making you loose 2 power per 24 hours makes it too hard for them to be able to play without being raided every time they are online due to such a high lose of power. I would suggest something along the lines of 1-2 power every 48hrs at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gaynormark0

i have to say out of all the opinions voiced in these last few pages i find tthis to be the most fitting. I would agree with all of these suggestions (except perhaps for d :P ) other than that i can see these changes fixing alot of problems. Perhaps if the changes were implemented for a test period to see how thiings go, say 3 weeks, at the end of those 3 weeks we look back and see how things are going if stuff needs to be changed, why, then we can all just moan till dec gets annoyed and changes everything again :P. however at this point if any big changes are put into action i believe a server restart would indeed be in order. A nice shiny new map :D

Most of these points i would agree with, except point C. Most people on the server will have work/college and can't possible be on the server every night. Making you loose 2 power per 24 hours makes it too hard for them to be able to play without being raided every time they are online due to such a high lose of power. I would suggest something along the lines of 1-2 power every 48hrs at the most.

1 every 24? i think would be reasonable

I think both of the adjustments mentioned above are reasonable. I guess being on summer holidays I forget that when college comes around in a month I won't be able to live monday to friday like a weekend.

You know with all that I have said before, I am still enjoying factions. And no not becuase I'm in a "overgeared super-faction full of trolls who rape everyone else for lulz" which many of you, not on the facebook page wouldn't have seen here :D:p. I enjoy it because like Tekkit it brings something new to minecraft which is always refreshing.

I bring attention to my previous post.

A server reset to rebalance everything and implement changes.

A large safe zone, Maybe 500x500(Might need to be larger) which anyone can build in but pvp is disabled. This should include a central town where trading can be done. This means if people want factions, They go out into the wilderness and fight however if they just want a few hours of peace they can walk into the safe zone and be free from the violence.

TNT/Fire/Creeper damage disabled. Is it possible to still have TNT damage while disabling its block damage?(To allow for TNT traps).

Doors/Levers may be used by anyone. This encourages elaborate entrances and traps while also preventing impenetrable strongholds.

Blocks may only be destroyed by faction members. This, Along with disabling TNT/Creepers will make obsidian bases redundant, And allow for people to build their strongholds from anything and look as pretty as they want.

Raiding may not be done within X and Y times, For example raiding may only be done from 6pm to 12pm. This prevents people from destroying bases over night or while people are at work.

Power is lost when offline. Perhaps when a user is offline for more than 2 days their power begins to drop at a rate of 1 per 2 days. This encourages factions to drop their inactive power padding players.

Some form of ruleset needs to be drawn up with regards to raiding etiquette and what can and can not be done as no matter how many times I have asked no one seems to know how to raid correctly:rolleyes:

Is it possible to have it annouced over chat when a door or lever is used within your territory? That would work wonders as well.

These suggestions are coming from someone who will benefit the least from them but knows they will help the server as a whole. Please just consider them as AWE's change to neutrality highlights my concerns voiced in previous posts:/

Having a delay before power begins to drop would allow for players who are not as active but still play factions without being a risk to other players. If I were busy for a day then with a 48 delay I know I am not risking other players by me not logging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rashersandbean

Also I believe the removal of neutral factions and the introduction of a free build town with no pvp at spawn for new players to build up a few resources before being thrown into the wilderness and being able to build up some money to claim land before having to deal with other factions raiding them is only fair. This would also give new players who don't know anyone on the server a place to stay safe until they find a faction to join.

Also I believe the removal of neutral factions and the introduction of a free build town with no pvp at spawn for new players to build up a few resources before being thrown into the wilderness and being able to build up some money to claim land before having to deal with other factions raiding them is only fair. This would also give new players who don't know anyone on the server a place to stay safe until they find a faction to join.

cue Air rant :p:o

I bring attention to my previous post.

Having a delay before power begins to drop would allow for players who are not as active but still play factions without being a risk to other players. If I were busy for a day then with a 48 delay I know I am not risking other players by me not logging in.

i agree a delay of say 2 days before any power loss would be helpfull for those of us who have running a business to juggle with the leaving cert and minecraft ;P

Yes i think that this change would be vital as it would mean that the whole "grace period" thing would not be needed unless factions were feeling honourable or gentlemanly but at least they could decide how long to wait before seeking out a new enemy :D

We would need to ensure that users would be unable to store materials in the safe zone to protect them against rival factions also.

• Advertisement

We would need to ensure that users would be unable to store materials in the safe zone to protect them against rival factions also.

indeed:cool:

Would we? I would compare storing resources in the safezone to storing them in an enderchest.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

What I'm going to say is probably something most on this thread wont like but I'll say it anyway.
    There are too many people on here with their own idea of how to make the game work to please everyone, or even most people. There's a bit of an attitude with some people of "I want the server to be this way and I'm going to complain until you give in and change it." If the server is going to work people will need to compromise on what they want, and will need to start suggesting changes instead of demanding them (although I have to say that problem has died down a good bit).

Also all of the suggestions need some kind of format or restructuring, I'm pretty sure that I've seen the same suggestions in the thread a few times, each sparking off a whole thing of "Yes I want this because" and "No that would be stupid because" maybe there should be a list of what was suggested etc to make it easier. And in the end you have to remember that these things don't HAVE to be changed, Dec and the other admins and mods can say "were leaving it like this, if you don't like it then go find another server" so at least try to be polite about it because in the end they're doing everyone a favour by running the server ;)

Now, let the flaming of me commence. :P

Would we? I would compare storing resources in the safezone to storing them in an enderchest.

Difference is, the enderchest is limited to a number of spaces... a safe zone isn't

kronnn wrote: »
    Dec and the other admins and mods can say "were leaving it like this, if you don't like it then go find another server" so at least try to be polite about it because in the end they're doing everyone a favour by running the server ;)

I'm allowed say that? SWEEEEEEEETTTT! :p

In all seriousness, yes I agree with you. There needs to be more structure in the debates here on what needs to be adjusted. Yes I have said it before, people are going to need to learn on how to compromise. I think the recent changes to how this game worked were somewhat as a result of partially active players grouping together to somewhat penalise those who worked hard. I know I'm going to get flak for that but it's a personal opinion.
    I think we could look at taking all the adjustments proposed here and opening a poll. The poll would have all of the adjustments as individual choices and we could allow people to vote on as many adjustments as they would like to see implemented. The most voted for could be discussed and eventually added to the game.

I'm allowed say that? SWEEEEEEEETTTT! :p

Isn't past your bed time Gav? :P

What I'm going to say is probably something most on this thread wont like but I'll say it anyway.
    There are too many people on here with their own idea of how to make the game work to please everyone, or even most people. There's a bit of an attitude with some people of "I want the server to be this way and I'm going to complain until you give in and change it." If the server is going to work people will need to compromise on what they want, and will need to start suggesting changes instead of demanding them (although I have to say that problem has died down a good bit).

Also all of the suggestions need some kind of format or restructuring, I'm pretty sure that I've seen the same suggestions in the thread a few times, each sparking off a whole thing of "Yes I want this because" and "No that would be stupid because" maybe there should be a list of what was suggested etc to make it easier. And in the end you have to remember that these things don't HAVE to be changed, Dec and the other admins and mods can say "were leaving it like this, if you don't like it then go find another server" so at least try to be polite about it because in the end they're doing everyone a favour by running the server ;)

I keep making the same suggestions because they get buried before they are even discussed. What would you suggest to keep the suggestions organised? A separate thread where the OP contains them all? As for the admins not needing to change anything, Thats correct but at the same time they should not maintain the current settings if they make the server a less enjoyable experience.
    Difference is, the enderchest is limited to a number of spaces... a safe zone isn't

But the enderchest can always be with you while the safe-zone could be 1000s of blocks away.

But the enderchest can always be with you while the safe-zone could be 1000s of blocks away.

Does that matter? I wouldn't care how far my valuables were as long as they were safe.
    Isn't past your bed time Gav?

Normally ... yes ... but I'm on summer holidays! :D

be029ea8-0080-4edd-a00e-62d5b6aff263.jpg

I keep making the same suggestions because they get buried before they are even discussed. What would you suggest to keep the suggestions organised? A separate thread where the OP contains them all? As for the admins not needing to change anything, Thats correct but at the same time they should not maintain the current settings if they make the server a less enjoyable experience.

It's still annoying to see the same things posted again and again, and the same type of replies to the ideas too.
    And I didn't say that something didn't need to be done, I said the admins don't HAVE to do anything, they can do whatever they please. (No Gav, you cant :P)

• Advertisement

It's still annoying to see the same things posted again and again, and the same type of replies to the ideas too.
    And I didn't say that something didn't need to be done, I said the admins don't HAVE to do anything, they can do whatever they please. (No Gav, you cant :P)

I find it annoying that even thought everyone has great ideas that could fix the server the admins don't even respond to say "No sorry, We will do what we think is best" to at the very least show that suggesting anything is pointless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement