Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think that the new procedure of awarding 25 points to students who pass honours maths in the Leaving is further sign of the dumbing down of modern society. While I'm all for giving students the incentive to attempt a more challenging series of questions, I think the new policy is unfair towards students from previous years who may have missed out on their desired CAO course by a matter of a few points. For example, if I was awarded an extra 25 points for passing honours maths six years ago, I wouldn't have missed out on my desired course, and so wouldn't have chosen an Arts degree course I didn't have the heart for, and in turn still wouldn't have resentment from my mother for dropping out from said course.

Or… you could have repeated your leaving and got the points you needed for your desired course which would have meant you wouldn't be moaning about it here six years later. Also, the points are expected to shot up next week so any advantage they might have got is looking like it will be negated.
    I blame the popularity of reality TV for the increasing "dumbing down" of our secondary school educational programme

Yes, ever since they got the makers of Big Brother in to formulate our Leaving Cert curriculum, it's gone completely downhill…

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Everyone on fb is hugely overreacting to the "Cancer is funny because people die" page

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think that the new procedure of awarding 25 points to students who pass honours maths in the Leaving is further sign of the dumbing down of modern society. While I'm all for giving students the incentive to attempt a more challenging series of questions, I think the new policy is unfair towards students from previous years who may have missed out on their desired CAO course by a matter of a few points. For example, if I was awarded an extra 25 points for passing honours maths six years ago, I wouldn't have missed out on my desired course, and so wouldn't have chosen an Arts degree course I didn't have the heart for, and in turn still wouldn't have resentment from my mother for dropping out from said course.

I blame the popularity of reality TV for the increasing "dumbing down" of our secondary school educational programme
    I agree it's silly, I think it just perpetuates the idea drilled into everyone's heads that "omg maths is hard and i cant do it"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Soprano's - dont see the appeal
    Radiohead - dont see the appeal
    Bob Dylan - dont see the appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

bluewolf wrote: »
    I agree it's silly, I think it just perpetuates the idea drilled into everyone's heads that "omg maths is hard and i cant do it"

That is so true, people usually form a mental block about maths, they think it is hard and only about numbers, when it is not. Its one of the most creative thing humans do. Its almost an art and we all have an innate sense of numbers.

I always thought maths is thought badly, students should be thought the beauty of it first.

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    The Soprano's - dont see the appeal
    Radiohead - dont see the appeal
    Bob Dylan - dont see the appeal

I thought the sopranos was only OK, Bob Dylan is meh and not a real poet, but radiohead needs time and they are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Colmustard wrote: »
    That is so true, people usually form a mental block about maths, they think it is hard and only about numbers, when it is not. Its one of the most creative thing humans do. Its almost an art and we all have an innate sense of numbers.

I always thought maths is thought badly, students should be thought the beauty of it first.
    Maybe the teaching standard for English should be improved too.:pac:

guttenberg wrote: »

I blame the spellchecker and in second place my anorexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Agreed and it further exacerbates the fact that the leaving cert often sends the wrong student into the wrong course. Those extra points could ensure someone more blessed with maths gets into chemistry over a natural chemistry student ect.

The department of education are to blame for the dumbing down and no doubt about it. I can only talk about the science subjects but for years science lecturers in third level institutions have being fighting the department of education along with the teaching unions on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

guttenberg wrote: »

I read it as "Maths is thought of badly (poorly) and students should thought (think) of the beauty of it first.
    Bad grammar but the spelling was fine :P

• Advertisement

I read it as "Maths is thought of badly (poorly) and students should thought (think) of the beauty of it first.
    Bad grammar but the spelling was fine :P

What can I say, I'm a numbers person and suffer from dysentery,

The grammar FBI seem to be following me, its making parabolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Voice of the Ages

I feel that people should be literally forced to vote.

I THINK they are in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

IIRC there used to be a similar incentive under the Matric system for the Universities. When that was abolished some called it dumbing down, can't win really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The imperial system of measurement is utterly moronic, its only used in America Liberia and Burma. But every now and again you bump into it and you have to decipher it. Anyway I am going for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've been told that in Australia you get fined if you don't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

why should they? surely as a grown adult its up to me to make the decisian to vote for myself? why would you care if i vote or not? what difference does it make to your life whether someone votes or not?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

ye are all pathetic spoilt nerds hiding behind yer laptops with yer boring ass lives spouting ****e ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

why should they? surely as a grown adult its up to me to make the decisian to vote for myself? why would you care if i vote or not? what difference does it make to your life whether someone votes or not?

They should be stripped of all the rights that a democratic society affords them for free since they are not prepared to pay even the tiniest price for freedom i.e vote once every 5 years. Freedom is not free. If you mock the honor of voting then you deserve to be ruled by Saddam Hussein.

^^^^ Theres my unpopular opinion there although I dare say a few will agree with me lol

edit * groan I just remembered that we have no choices at the ballot box ... oh the despair to have to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich every few years... obviously this unpopular opinion should apply most strongly in a properly run country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

No point forcing people who have no idea about politics/issues to vote! You will just end up with the most sensationalist politicians elected.

The maths points bonus is a great idea! There are tens of thousands of people who have much better maths skills than this time last year. That was the idea behind it and it worked.

The imperial system has its benefits. 1 inch made up of 16 parts for example. So it can be divided in half making 16,8,4,2,1! the metric systems goes to decimals after dividing it twice only. Although overall metric is better.

Definitely unpopular opinions on this thread anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

NinjaK wrote: »
    ye are all pathetic spoilt nerds hiding behind yer laptops with yer boring ass lives spouting ****e ha
    And you're no different ha

Forcing people to vote in a democracy would be irony epitomised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

nacimroc wrote: »
    3. The imperial system has its benefits. 1 inch made up of 16 parts for example. So it can be divided in half making 16,8,4,2,1! the metric systems goes to decimals after dividing it twice only. Although overall metric is better.

That's a pretty shit benefit!

nacimroc wrote: »
    2. The maths points bonus is a great idea! There are tens of thousands of people who have much better maths skills than this time last year. That was the idea behind it and it worked.

The way that maths exams work is that the questions get harder as you go on. This means that the first few questions that can get you a pass grade (and bonus points) could be answered by any idiot. So actually nothing has been learned that wouldn't be learned by adding these questions to the Junior cert syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

I think bad grammar should be punishable by law

AllWasWell wrote: »
    I think bad grammar should be punishable by law.

FYP :pac::p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Some people should be taken out and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

AllWasWell wrote: »
    I think bad grammar should be punishable by law

No full stop.

Death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The imperial system of measurement is utterly moronic, its only used in America Liberia and Burma. But every now and again you bump into it and you have to decipher it. Anyway I am going for a pint.

That's true...

On an unrelated matter, what's 8 inches in cm? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i think text speak should be banned its evil
    i tnk txt spk shd b bnd, its evl.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement