Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 minirolo

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Oh yes it is a minefield:D You will never get a boiler stove big enough to heat the whole house as 131,000btu's is a hell of a lot of heat.

Personally I would definately zone the radiator circuits, minimum 2. Upstairs/Downstairs. I believe they should zone anyway over a certain floor area for Part L energy saving regulations.

The other problem is your current room for the stove isn't a big room. This room only requires a stove room output of around 4kw to heat it. Most boiler stoves produce around 6kw plus and more for the larger output boiler stoves . Is there any double doors/doors off this room? If we can get a through airflow we may be able to choose a stove with a higher room output and larger output boiler:). Or is there an option to install the boiler stove in a larger room?
    Another option is a log gasification/coal boiler in an adjoining boileroom.
    http://kotly.com/Wood_and_coal_gasification_boiler_Orlan_Super__40kW_-_with_a_pressure_ventilator,_Laddomat_and_BVTS_valve,821.html?topSsid=e766d92bda5c6e977882f343c8710f7f
    With this option they are available in many high outputs and would heat the whole house:) The dust etc would be outside and not in your house:D and if you locate the fuel in the same room as the stove very easy fuelling without trailing dust etc in the house.

I personally would seriously consider this if there is a room for the boiler. You combine these with a thermal store/ buffer tank and this tank can link in another boiler, gas/oil etc plus solar panels:) They are more efficient than a standard boiler stove:D
    I would then just fit a small stove in living room.

Stove Fan:)

:) Thanks Stove Fan, yes the room isn't huge but it does have a double door to the main living space, i'm sure i saw a stove that gives 4 to the room and more to the boiler so will trawl through the brochures again to see. We will have solar panels and oil boiler too. This is a new build so going on similar houses of family / friends I expect it to be pretty air tight and well insulated.icon5.gif My preference is to find a suitable stove and not go down the other option you suggested, although thanks for the suggestion all the same:D I must look at Woodwarm website, I've noticed from reading through this thread you're a fan of these

thanks again
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

minirolo wrote: »
    :) Thanks Stove Fan, yes the room isn't huge but it does have a double door to the main living space, i'm sure i saw a stove that gives 4 to the room and more to the boiler so will trawl through the brochures again to see. We will have solar panels and oil boiler too. This is a new build so going on similar houses of family / friends I expect it to be pretty air tight and well insulated.icon5.gif My preference is to find a suitable stove and not go down the other option you suggested, although thanks for the suggestion all the same:D I must look at Woodwarm website, I've noticed from reading through this thread you're a fan of these

thanks again
    :)

Yes I'm a fan of woodwarm, in fact I'm moving house and will be buying one probably a fireview 6kw.:D This is it but flat top.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7MVjL6BWM

The 20kw version with 70,000btu boiler would heat half of your rads and low 3.7kw to room with 53,000btu boiler and roof boiler. Thermostatic control as well:)
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/20kwfireview.ashx
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/content1/boilers1/boilers.ashx
    One burning here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXxBNo855xs

You can probably look for a stove with up to 6kw room output as you have the double doors. You don't want to roast so best to have low room heat from the stove as you can always have a radiator in the same room with thermostatic radiator valve to top up the heat difference.

Link all the boilers/solar to a thermal store/ accumulator tank:)

See reviews here. www.whatstove.co.uk for reviews by owners.

Yes I'm a fan of woodwarm, in fact I'm moving house and will be buying one probably a fireview 6kw.:D This is it but flat top.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7MVjL6BWM

The 20kw version with 70,000btu boiler would heat half of your rads and low 3.7kw to room with 53,000btu boiler and roof boiler. Thermostatic control as well:)
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/20kwfireview.ashx
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/content1/boilers1/boilers.ashx
    One burning here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXxBNo855xs

You can probably look for a stove with up to 6kw room output as you have the double doors. You don't want to roast so best to have low room heat from the stove as you can always have a radiator in the same room with thermostatic radiator valve to top up the heat difference.

Link all the boilers/solar to a thermal store/ accumulator tank:)

See reviews here. www.whatstove.co.uk for reviews by owners.

:)Thanks Stove Fan! Your future stove is real pretty, congrats :D:D !!

Do you know where's best to buy these in the munster region?

It's almost midnight and I've been researching stoves all day, my kids are asleep and I've just realised they didn't even have a proper supper!! Bad mother :eek: ; but thanks to you and the internet I'm closer to knowing what I need, also I think my plumber must have calculated the figures for BTUS wrong... :(

Just one quick question though, on the brochures when it gives a range for nominal output to room, i.e. 3-10 what does this mean, like how can this be? (huge span between 3 and 10 right?)? For instance one brochure says the EB20HE gives 20kWs to water and between 3 - 10 to the room, so it would seem good to me if I can get 20 to the boiler and only 4 to the room, but if I run it so I'm only getting 4 to the room instead of the max (of 10) does that have a knock on effect on what the boiler gets , i.e. less..??? :confused::confused::confused:

Right I better go to bed...............and dream of stoves probably !! :P

PS I see you like aarrow too, so feel free to reccommend one......as long as I can buy somewhere in munster preferably:)

thanks so much again ;)

:)Thanks Stove Fan! Your future stove is real pretty, congrats :D:D !!

Do you know where's best to buy these in the munster region?

It's almost midnight and I've been researching stoves all day, my kids are asleep and I've just realised they didn't even have a proper supper!! Bad mother :eek: ; but thanks to you and the internet I'm closer to knowing what I need, also I think my plumber must have calculated the figures for BTUS wrong... :(

Just one quick question though, on the brochures when it gives a range for nominal output to room, i.e. 3-10 what does this mean, like how can this be? (huge span between 3 and 10 right?)? For instance one brochure says the EB20HE gives 20kWs to water and between 3 - 10 to the room, so it would seem good to me if I can get 20 to the boiler and only 4 to the room, but if I run it so I'm only getting 4 to the room instead of the max (of 10) does that have a knock on effect on what the boiler gets , i.e. less..??? :confused::confused::confused:

Right I better go to bed...............and dream of stoves probably !! :P

PS I see you like aarrow too, so feel free to reccommend one......as long as I can buy somewhere in munster preferably:)

thanks so much again

We will more than likely buy our woodwarm stove in Ireland on the dealer links page on woodwarm Co. Cork.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/dealer-locator.ashx#top

I found the prices on woodwarm the same as the UK by the time delivery was taken into account and the exchange rate.

Hope you had a good nights sleep:D

What size is your house either in sqm or sqft? Or how many beds etc? 40kw is a big boiler!

To be honest I hadn't a clue about the huge difference in heat outputs as never seen it before and so I asked on the Aarrow forum, very late last night and got an answer from them:)
    http://www.aarrowfires.com/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=5&topic=800

It seems that the max output is achieved while the stove is initially lit until the radiators are up to full heat. Once the boiler thermostat reaches max heat it closes the air supply and burns more slowly thus keeping the room output between 6-7kw. the minimum 3kw would I think only happen if the room thermostat switched off the pump as the house was warm enough and so the fire went into total slumber mode, thus not much fire, so less room heat.

In a nutshell this stove isn't suitable as it produces too much room heat.
    There is the Aarrow stratford TF90B that produces 83,000btu to water (24kw) and a very low 4.5kw to the room:)

The only thing is I don't really rate the build quality:( Their new ecoboiler range are a lot better made but on the larger models too much room heat.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/stratford-tf90b-boiler-stove.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 docki

Hi Stove Fan,
    Im new to this, was searching looking for info on a back boiler stove to heat 23 rads and came across this forum. Can you give us advise please on the best stove to install in our house based on the following info:
    2 Storey house size 2800 sq feet = 14,000 upstairs and 14,000 downstairs. The room that we are putting the stove in is 18 feet x 18 feet and there is a sun lounge adjoining that measures 16 x 11 feet, its open plan with double patio doors in the sun lounge. We have 22 radiators, 5 of which are double, radiators are 6 foot length x 1 foot high. We will be putting in a back boiler with this stove and the stove will need to heat a 250 litre cylinder. The house is insulated with 50mm cooltherm slab on all external walls and the upstairs ceiling is same. 75mm kingspan insulation under the floors. 100mm kingspan insulation on attic ceiling and 200mm of rockwool in between upstairs ceiling and floor. We have been advised that a Glenmore stove would be sufficient for our needs?? Can you give your opinion, as we will be going to look at stoves this week and would like to have an idea of what we need. Thanks

• Advertisement

docki wrote: »
    Hi Stove Fan,
    Im new to this, was searching looking for info on a back boiler stove to heat 23 rads and came across this forum. Can you give us advise please on the best stove to install in our house based on the following info:
    2 Storey house size 2800 sq feet = 14,000 upstairs and 14,000 downstairs. The room that we are putting the stove in is 18 feet x 18 feet and there is a sun lounge adjoining that measures 16 x 11 feet, its open plan with double patio doors in the sun lounge. We have 22 radiators, 5 of which are double, radiators are 6 foot length x 1 foot high. We will be putting in a back boiler with this stove and the stove will need to heat a 250 litre cylinder. The house is insulated with 50mm cooltherm slab on all external walls and the upstairs ceiling is same. 75mm kingspan insulation under the floors. 100mm kingspan insulation on attic ceiling and 200mm of rockwool in between upstairs ceiling and floor. We have been advised that a Glenmore stove would be sufficient for our needs?? Can you give your opinion, as we will be going to look at stoves this week and would like to have an idea of what we need. Thanks

Hi:) It's very hard to advice on a stove from just a brief description but would say your insulation in my opinion is below average for the external walls and most would advice 300-400mm in loft. I take it it's a loft conversion/room and there isn't enough thickness in the roof timbers and hence insulating between the ceiling/floor as well.
    I would certainly consider spray foam insulation in loft room roof and if there is no cavity wall insulation thicker internal/external wall insulation.
    Hope you don't mind me saying:)

The more insulation the better:D

With regards to your stove as a very rough quide I would say a 30kw stove should do the job compared to my house size.
    Ideally 20kw+ backboiler. Your main room requires around 5.2kw to heat it and your sun lounge 3.5kw. Total 8.7kw.

This stove may be suitable
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/eb20-he.html This stove would heat the main room and sunroom with doors open and so any rads in these rooms could be turned off or set lower on the thermostatic radiator valve.

But if you want rock solid quality, buy woodwarm 20kw with wraparound and roof boiler, giving 70,000btu to water and lowish 3.7kw to room.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/20kwfireview.ashx This wouldnt heat all of the living/sunroom but better to have too little and let the rads in these rooms with thermostatic valves top up the heat needed.

You really need a heating engineer/plumber to visit to work out the exact heat loss of the various rooms and then decide on a suitable boiler stove.

The stoves I have linked to are only a guestimate on size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 docki

Thanks for your reply, great to get the advise. Our plumber has recommended the Glenmore 30B which is 23kw and 8.5kw. We will be pumping the external walls again sometime, its a new build and we are trying to finish it for now and will insulate it properly again when more funds available. from what you say above we have alot more insulating to do :-) . Thinking we will need alot more blankets on the beds for now :-).

docki wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, great to get the advise. Our plumber has recommended the Glenmore 30B which is 23kw and 8.5kw. We will be pumping the external walls again sometime, its a new build and we are trying to finish it for now and will insulate it properly again when more funds available. from what you say above we have alot more insulating to do :-) . Thinking we will need alot more blankets on the beds for now :-).

I personally think it should be about there when the walls have been pumped and attic insulation improved:) Our house was cold when we bought it but insulating it improved the BER from G to a D2, not superb but good considering it was a 50's build detatched bungalow:).

You can never have too much insulation:D so well worth doing.

I don't know anything about Hamco glenmore stoves:( Looks like it may be cast in China?
    If your on a budget the Aarrow ecoboiler EB20 may be the best bet and reasonable quality. Woodwarm is much better though for quality.

We will more than likely buy our woodwarm stove in Ireland on the dealer links page on woodwarm Co. Cork.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/dealer-locator.ashx#top

I found the prices on woodwarm the same as the UK by the time delivery was taken into account and the exchange rate.

Hope you had a good nights sleep:D

What size is your house either in sqm or sqft? Or how many beds etc? 40kw is a big boiler!

To be honest I hadn't a clue about the huge difference in heat outputs as never seen it before and so I asked on the Aarrow forum, very late last night and got an answer from them:)
    http://www.aarrowfires.com/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=5&topic=800

It seems that the max output is achieved while the stove is initially lit until the radiators are up to full heat. Once the boiler thermostat reaches max heat it closes the air supply and burns more slowly thus keeping the room output between 6-7kw. the minimum 3kw would I think only happen if the room thermostat switched off the pump as the house was warm enough and so the fire went into total slumber mode, thus not much fire, so less room heat.

In a nutshell this stove isn't suitable as it produces too much room heat.
    There is the Aarrow stratford TF90B that produces 83,000btu to water (24kw) and a very low 4.5kw to the room:)

The only thing is I don't really rate the build quality:( Their new ecoboiler range are a lot better made but on the larger models too much room heat.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/stratford-tf90b-boiler-stove.html

:) Thanks Stove Fan for going to so much trouble, looks like you were up later than me !
    Our house is a little over 3000 square feet, 5 bed, with a large section open plan down stairs, it's south west facing on the coast so has lots of large windows. The room the stove is going into has 5 large windows with a ceiling height of 2.75. So I'm thinking output to the room of over 4 might be ok. WOuld you think dropping to the EB16HE would be a better plan? Or maybe I could go with the woodwarm fireview 20kw, or stanley reginald.......decisions decisions :confused:

thanks again you're a star :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rob_talisman

Well more good news. Spent the weekend fitting the fire proof back board and sides. then laid a concreat base ready for the Slate which will arrive this week.

So got the HETAS approve fitter to come round and have a look at the flue yesterday. We ripped out the old gas fire flue and did a smoke test and i dont need a flue liner in place. So did a sweep, and fitted a new pot and cowl. Plate is now being made so as soon as i fit the slate he can come back and finish his side off. :)

• Advertisement

:) Thanks Stove Fan for going to so much trouble, looks like you were up later than me !
    Our house is a little over 3000 square feet, 5 bed, with a large section open plan down stairs, it's south west facing on the coast so has lots of large windows. The room the stove is going into has 5 large windows with a ceiling height of 2.75. So I'm thinking output to the room of over 4 might be ok. WOuld you think dropping to the EB16HE would be a better plan? Or maybe I could go with the woodwarm fireview 20kw, or stanley reginald.......decisions decisions :confused:

thanks again you're a star :D

Hi, if you can afford the extra for the woodwarm fireview then do that as it has good power to the water and low 3.7kw to room.

Your next best option is the Aarrow EB16HE stove as like you say 2.5-8kw to room. Your room probably requires around 5kw now as I only quoted it at 2.4m ceiling height. You have the double doors too the main rooms so leaving them open should let the heat escape to other areas:)

I personally would't go with the stanley reginald as to be honest there is no advantage in boiler performance, may as well have a higher rated boiler the EB16. the stanley reginald is virtually the same as the Aarrow EB12HE stove. If going lower output buy the EB12 although would heat less rads than the EB16.

None of them will heat all the rads but the higher the boiler output the more rads they will heat. You may decide to go for a lower heat output like the EB12HE and just heat about 5 double rads. If more output needed the EB16.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Marvic

Can anyone please give an approximate plumbing charge for the installation of a Boru 600 I insert stove.Distance from hot press to fire place is about 10 metres and a some hall tiles will have to be lifted.Also cement sitting room floor will have to be cut for piping.

I have been quoted 2,500 all in for the job with 1,700 extra for the stove and wonder if this is a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Okay so I'm trying to get the running costs for a stove with a backboiler and to be honest I cant get any sort of an answer on any websites.Some people are saying that it doesn't save you money to run a stove at all.

So can someone who is using a stove with a backboiler to suppliment there heating system please tell me what they spend per year on wood.

I understand that insulation is a big factor so please dont go down the route of "your looking at this the wrong way"

I'm just not sure if its working out cheaper to run even though I'm very aware gas and oil prices are only going up(so will the price of logs relative to demand)

Thanks

Marvic wrote: »
    Can anyone please give an approximate plumbing charge for the installation of a Boru 600 I insert stove.Distance from hot press to fire place is about 10 metres and a some hall tiles will have to be lifted.Also cement sitting room floor will have to be cut for piping.

I have been quoted 2,500 all in for the job with 1,700 extra for the stove and wonder if this is a fair price.

I really don't know whats fully involved, all I would say is get other quotes:).

It sounds like the fire is quite a way from the hotpress and the pipes have to go under the concrete floor? If this is the case at the stove side a large heat leak rad would need installing in the event of a powercut and the pump not running as with the pipes dropping down to the floor and across and up to the cylinder this would be a fully pumped system and not gravity circulation to the hot water cylinder, hence the need for a large gravity rad at the stove end.

seannash wrote: »
    Okay so I'm trying to get the running costs for a stove with a backboiler and to be honest I cant get any sort of an answer on any websites.Some people are saying that it doesn't save you money to run a stove at all.

So can someone who is using a stove with a backboiler to suppliment there heating system please tell me what they spend per year on wood.

I understand that insulation is a big factor so please dont go down the route of "your looking at this the wrong way"

I'm just not sure if its working out cheaper to run even though I'm very aware gas and oil prices are only going up(so will the price of logs relative to demand)

Thanks

Hi:) there are lots of things that affect what people spend on heating not just insulation levels, time on, elderly who like it warmer than most. number of rads ie different kw outputs required for house size etc.

We use a multifuel boiler stove as our only form of heating in a 100sqm detatched older bungalow. The stove heats 10kw of demand. 5 rads and hot water.

Not this winter but the very cold one we spent 600 euros worth of polish coal:).

This mild winter using spruce wood 900euro:eek: We bought the wood as it's less dusty and we like the green credentials, but as you can see wood here is just too dear. We paid 60 euro a cubic metre.
    On our next house we are installing the same heating system:D but will be mostly using coal. Use firewood around Christmass for the effect:)
    My grandparents are retired and like the rads everywhere on full and a good fire going as being 80 they feel the cold even though the house is hot!!
    We light the fire from around mid September to begginning of April and is lit approximately 13 hours a day.

I have no idea on oil here but in France we used 600litres in 5-6 weeks:eek: We sold the boiler for a 50% loss 12 months after buying it new as the oil was unaffordable at 76.9c a litre. Fortunately sold it to someone who wanted it for their holiday cottage, so very little use.
    Firewood though was only 30 euro for the same as here but seasoned better.

Here I would definately say Coal is the cheapest.

The ideal really is a dual system. Solid fuel and oil as backup when you don't want to light the fire.

For us I would definately say we are saving at least 500 euro a year on heating costs.

I certainly don't miss the oil boiler:rolleyes: How much is oil here? In France we ditched the oil boiler when it got to 76.9c a litre:eek:

Hi:) there are lots of things that affect what people spend on heating not just insulation levels, time on, elderly who like it warmer than most. number of rads ie different kw outputs required for house size etc.

We use a multifuel boiler stove as our only form of heating in a 100sqm detatched older bungalow. The stove heats 10kw of demand. 5 rads and hot water.

Not this winter but the very cold one we spent 600 euros worth of polish coal:).

This mild winter using spruce wood 900euro:eek: We bought the wood as it's less dusty and we like the green credentials, but as you can see wood here is just too dear. We paid 60 euro a cubic metre.
    On our next house we are installing the same heating system:D but will be mostly using coal. Use firewood around Christmass for the effect:)
    My grandparents are retired and like the rads everywhere on full and a good fire going as being 80 they feel the cold even though the house is hot!!
    We light the fire from around mid September to begginning of April and is lit approximately 13 hours a day.

I have no idea on oil here but in France we used 600litres in 5-6 weeks:eek:
    Firewood though was only 30 euro for the same as here but seasoned better.

Here I would definately say Coal is the cheapest.

The ideal really is a dual system. Solid fuel and oil as backup when you don't want to light the fire.

For us I would definately say we are saving at least 500 euro a year on heating costs.

I certainly don't miss the oil boiler:rolleyes: How much is oil here? In France we ditched the oil boiler when it got to 76.9c a litre:eek:

Perfect reply :).We certainly wouldn't have the fire going for 13hours every day so I could probably conservatively take a bit off your €900 euro for wood.

I am planning on having a wood stove with Gas as backup for when we dont want to light a fire(because its on the street and because I want gas for cooking)
    Can I ask,your hot water tank,how long would the water in it stay hot enough for heating?
    Really appreciate the reply

Perfect reply :).We certainly wouldn't have the fire going for 13hours every day so I could probably conservatively take a bit off your €900 euro for wood.

I am planning on having a wood stove with Gas as backup for when we dont want to light a fire(because its on the street and because I want gas for cooking)
    Can I ask,your hot water tank,how long would the water in it stay hot enough for heating?
    Really appreciate the reply

We have no thermal store, if thats what you meant but presume washing rather than heating.
    It takes around 2 hours to heat the standard hot water cylinder (36 inch by 18inch) from tepid to hot using the boiler stove, less if it's already warmish. Once hot it lasts most of the day unless several showers are taken. We have a power shower so uses the stored hot water and I'm in there for 15-20 mins showering so can almost use all the hot water. If you only had a quick shower you could get at least 3 showers out of the hot water.
    We also use the hot water for washing the lunchtime plates/cups etc and have a dishwasher that is cold fill only.
    In the summer/warmer months we just use the immersion heater and have it timed to come on for 2hours a night on cheap rate electricity. This seems sufficient for us. Sometimes giving the water a boost inbetween showers when needed.

We have no thermal store, if thats what you meant but presume washing rather than heating.
    It takes around 2 hours to heat the standard hot water cylinder (36 inch by 18inch) from tepid to hot using the boiler stove, less if it's already warmish. Once hot it lasts most of the day unless several showers are taken. We have a power shower so uses the stored hot water and I'm in there for 15-20 mins showering so can almost use all the hot water. If you only had a quick shower you could get at least 3 showers out of the hot water.
    We also use the hot water for washing the lunchtime plates/cups etc and have a dishwasher that is cold fill only.
    In the summer/warmer months we just use the immersion heater and have it timed to come on for 2hours a night on cheap rate electricity. This seems sufficient for us. Sometimes giving the water a boost inbetween showers when needed.

Well I was curious about heating really,for the mornings.So if we had a fire going at night would the water stored in the tank last to do the heating in the morning?Gonna be using an electric shower.

Well I was curious about heating really,for the mornings.So if we had a fire going at night would the water stored in the tank last to do the heating in the morning?Gonna be using an electric shower.

If you fitted a highly insulated thermal store, then yes the hot water stored in it would certainly heat the rads for so long backed up by the gas boiler until the fire was lit again. If you want serious efficiency burning just wood consider a wood gasification boiler instead.

My only concern with this is mains gas has got to be one of the cheaper heating options and so you have to consider cost of installation.

You may find your home is suitable for a gas combination boiler and just have a non boiler stove instead.

If you fitted a highly insulated thermal store, then yes the hot water stored in it would certainly heat the rads for so long backed up by the gas boiler until the fire was lit again. If you want serious efficiency burning just wood consider a wood gasification boiler instead.

My only concern with this is mains gas has got to be one of the cheaper heating options and so you have to consider cost of installation.

You may find your home is suitable for a gas combination boiler and just have a non boiler stove instead.

Not sure if its a gasification boiler to be honest
    http://www.edilkamin.com/en/termocamini/termocamino_h2oceano_15.aspx

I'm just thinking that whilst I'm at this stage where I can put in a dual system I should do it as the price of gas is rising.
    I wouldn't be installing a stove if I was running solely on gas,I would just leave a open fire there just for the look.
    I grew up in a home where an open fire was lit every night in the winter and figured that I may aswell have the benefit of it providing some heating for the rest of the home if I'm gonna have a lit fire anyway

• Advertisement

Not sure if its a gasification boiler to be honest
    http://www.edilkamin.com/en/termocamini/termocamino_h2oceano_15.aspx

I'm just thinking that whilst I'm at this stage where I can put in a dual system I should do it as the price of gas is rising.
    I wouldn't be installing a stove if I was running solely on gas,I would just leave a open fire there just for the look.
    I grew up in a home where an open fire was lit every night in the winter and figured that I may aswell have the benefit of it providing some heating for the rest of the home if I'm gonna have a lit fire anyway

Not sure on the fire but not bad efficiency at 80% A proper external log gasification boiler is around 90%+ but probably want a focal point fire rather than a solid fuel/gasification boiler in an outbuilding.
    If you have a fire lit anyway then the stove with boiler is way better than a wasteful open fire:D
    All fuels will rise it's just knowing which is rising the least:D Coal seems to cost us between 130-150 for 10x 40kg bags of suttons premium polish coal Paid 13 euro a bag when on offer.

Not sure on the fire but not bad efficiency at 80% A proper external log gasification boiler is around 90%+ but probably want a focal point fire rather than a solid fuel/gasification boiler in an outbuilding.
    If you have a fire lit anyway then the stove with boiler is way better than a wasteful open fire:D
    All fuels will rise it's just knowing which is rising the least:D Coal seems to cost us between 130-150 for 10x 40kg bags of suttons premium polish coal Paid 13 euro a bag when on offer.

Yeah Its a bit of a guessing game regarding fuel prices rising.
    This fire isn't multifuel though so its wood for me for the foreseeable future.

Not too happy with that but its a compromise I'll have to make to get the look I want I suppose.
    Really hoping to get it right in regards insualtion and heating system.
    Cant find any reviews of that particular stove but they have been making them since the 60's so hopefully they'll be good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I have no idea on how good the olymberyl stoves are but I personally would consider this clearance Dunsley highlander enviroburn 5 in the clearance sale.
    http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/clearance_stoves.html I would offer £500 and haggle like mad for delivery of no more than £65
    Dunsley are very well made and are a good brand and get good reviews on http://www.whatstove.co.uk/dunsley-stoves/dunsley-highlander-5.html
    Get them to send you a photo to see condition. should be very good.

Stove Fan,

I took a spin down to Murphys in Kinvara and they have a Nestor Martin S13 which also allows external air supply. I was impressed with it for a 5 KW as the box was big enough for fuel. Alot of the 5 KW are usually pretty small and the turf has to be small enough
    Any ideas on these stoves. The salesman was pretty impressed with them. Any opinions on these?

I was looking at the one on your link but I was thinking for any support may be a pain having to always go to UK.

Cheers Audioslaven

Stove Fan,

I took a spin down to Murphys in Kinvara and they have a Nestor Martin S13 which also allows external air supply. I was impressed with it for a 5 KW as the box was big enough for fuel. Alot of the 5 KW are usually pretty small and the turf has to be small enough
    Any ideas on these stoves. The salesman was pretty impressed with them. Any opinions on these?

I was looking at the one on your link but I was thinking for any support may be a pain having to always go to UK.

Cheers Audioslaven

Hi, I'm afraid I have no direct experiance of nestor martin except there was someone on boards who was having a few teething troubles with one.
    See reviews here. http://www.whatstove.co.uk/nestor-martin-stoves/harmony-13-stove.html The main issues seems the grate spinning wheel jams with heat. The air controls are awkward to adjust with alan key.

I do see your point on a UK sourced stove but generally no problem to post parts if not sold here. Stove glass and firebricks can be bought and cut to size here as most stove manufacturers now use vermiculite board firebricks.
    In the 2 winters we have had our villager boiler stove we haven't needed to buy any replacement part and it gets heavy use all winter (7months use) (only heat source) burning smoky coal, not recommended for our stove as it burns very hot:rolleyes: There has been no distortion:)

How much is the Nestor martin?

I quite like the woodwarm foxfire, but it's £900:eek:
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwmultifuelstove.ashx

Hi, I'm afraid I have no direct experiance of nestor martin except there was someone on boards who was having a few teething troubles with one.
    See reviews here. http://www.whatstove.co.uk/nestor-martin-stoves/harmony-13-stove.html The main issues seems the grate spinning wheel jams with heat. The air controls are awkward to adjust with alan key.

I do see your point on a UK sourced stove but generally no problem to post parts if not sold here. Stove glass and firebricks can be bought and cut to size here as most stove manufacturers now use vermiculite board firebricks.
    In the 2 winters we have had our villager boiler stove we haven't needed to buy any replacement part and it gets heavy use all winter (7months use) (only heat source) burning smoky coal, not recommended for our stove as it burns very hot:rolleyes: There has been no distortion:)

How much is the Nestor martin?

I quite like the woodwarm foxfire, but it's £900:eek:
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwmultifuelstove.ashx

Cheers SF, thats actually a different stove. I think its the stanford version or S13 for short. The sales man said they are not for everyone as you need to use the allen key and some people find it offputting but that once you know how to use it there is no hassle. Very hard to get reviews on it on the net. Its coming in at 950 for the matt and 1100 for satin finish. I like the idea of external air supply(40 euro extra). I was also looking at the charwood c4 but that has a very small box. I was also looking at the stovax huntingdon 25. I was thinking the Nestor Martin as the box was that bit bigger.

Cheers SF, thats actually a different stove. I think its the stanford version or S13 for short. very hard to get reviews on it on the net. Its coming in at 950 for the matt and 1100 for satin finish. I like the idea of external air supply(40 euro extra). I was also looking at the charwood c4 but that has a very small box. I was also looking at the stovax huntingdon 25. I was thinking the Nestor Martin as the box was that bit bigger.

The external air supply is a big plus if your house is very airtight:) If it is very airtight it would need an external wall vent/optional air kit.
    If your home is not airtight and an older home, no vent is needed under 5kw. I did see a photo of the stanford, looks quite smart.

On the Country 4 there isn't an external air option only on the cove and island range.

I do like the C four in almond:)
    http://www.charnwood.com/range/stove/cfour.aspx

The country 4 is well made.

I myself would be more inclined to go with Charnwood if an external air supply stove isn't a must.

The external air supply is a big plus if your house is very airtight:) If it is very airtight it would need an external wall vent/optional air kit.
    If your home is not airtight and an older home, no vent is needed under 5kw. I did see a photo of the stanford, looks quite smart.

On the Country 4 there isn't an external air option only on the cove and island range.

I do like the C four in almond:)
    http://www.charnwood.com/range/stove/cfour.aspx

The country 4 is well made.

I myself would be more inclined to go with Charnwood if an external air supply stove isn't a must.

ya the C4 is coming in just over 1k and has the external air kit already on it. I didnt see it in person as he had none in stock.

The charnwood is steel body over the Nestor Martin a cast body. It appears the general gist is that cast is better as it holds the heat longer, however it does take longer to heat up. I think its either the nestor or c4.

ya the C4 is coming in just over 1k and has the external air kit already on it. I didnt see it in person as he had none in stock.

The charnwood is steel body over the Nestor Martin a cast body. It appears the general gist is that cast is better as it holds the heat longer, however it does take longer to heat up. I think its either the nestor or c4.

I just looked at the spec and as you say the C4 has the external air option:D

I would go with this well founded maker:)

Yep cast does take a bit longer to heat up but retains heat when the fire has gone out. I prefer steel though as less likely to crack and quicker to heat up. Both have good and bad points.

Thought id post a few picture updates.

Lintel in and fire boards fitted.

Concreate base laid.

Me and the boy signed it.

• Advertisement

Had the HETAS engineer come and rip the old flue out and did the smoke test, all good so new pot and cowl fitted.

Then laid the slates.

Advertisement