Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rob_talisman

Fitted skirting around the base next.

And grouted it this morning.

Then ive put Oak Wood Effect tiles around the fireplace ( not sure i like this at all at the mo...:()

And painted the skirting.

Next after it all dries i need to grout the fireplace tiles. give it a good clean and seal the slate. then paint the fireboard a light chocolate brown colour.

Im hoping with all that done ill like the tiles around the fireplace. Then re patch the wallpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Fitted skirting around the base next.

And grouted it this morning.

Then ive put Oak Wood Effect tiles around the fireplace ( not sure i like this at all at the mo...:()

And painted the skirting.

Next after it all dries i need to grout the fireplace tiles. give it a good clean and seal the slate. then paint the fireboard a light chocolate brown colour.

Im hoping with all that done ill like the tiles around the fireplace. Then re patch the wallpaper.

Love the slate hearth, like the different texture/ natural face:) As you say the chocolate emulsion inside could well blend the wood effect surround tiles with the background:cool:.
    What stove are you going for?

Looking good so far.

Stove Fan:)

got it last year mate, the Hunter Kestrel 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stuart Piercy

Hi everyone, does anyone have any reviews of the above boilers? just trying to sift my way through so many brochures at the minute and it seems a bit of a mine field.

The other option i had looked at was the TR 25 25kw output Approx 6kw Room Heat 19kw to radiators (Approx 14-16 radiators).

Any help on boilers this sort of size would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Stuart

Hi everyone, does anyone have any reviews of the above boilers? just trying to sift my way through so many brochures at the minute and it seems a bit of a mine field.

The other option i had looked at was the TR 25 25kw output Approx 6kw Room Heat 19kw to radiators (Approx 14-16 radiators).

Many Thanks

Stuart

Hi:), Which above boiler stoves?

What size is your room where the stove is going and what age/insulation has the house got? Is there more than one internal door from the room with stove to other rooms, ie double doors, singles from living room to other rooms?

We need this information as first we certainly need a room size to work out what stove heat output is needed.
    How many single rads and double rads?

see www.whatstove.co.uk for stove reviews by owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

Many Thanks

Stuart

The best thing to do is do your wee bit of research and then pop into a local store, its hard to beat physically touching the thing and having a good chat with the sales man. A lot of the time they would be able to tell you what best suits your needs straight off. Where are you situated anyway? I recommend these lads up beside me, might not be near you though but its worth a look - www.murrayfireplaces.ie/stoves

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj58

my experience of stove,
    the small compact stoves with big output to boiler work very good when small and big fire, nice heat to rads

the big stove with big output to boiler and big fire box work good when theres a big fire but very poor when theres a small fire, heat seems to be going up chimney too much,
    anyone seem to agree with that?
    i have put in lots of differnt brand s of stoves over years and its hard to say whats good and whats not

jj58 wrote: »
    my experience of stove,
    the small compact stoves with big output to boiler work very good when small and big fire, nice heat to rads

the big stove with big output to boiler and big fire box work good when theres a big fire but very poor when theres a small fire, heat seems to be going up chimney too much,
    anyone seem to agree with that?
    i have put in lots of differnt brand s of stoves over years and its hard to say whats good and whats not

I really can't say. I have only had 2 boiler stoves both villager with wraparound boiler. One with the 13kw boiler (AHI) woodburning only and a multifuel berkley integral 7.6 kw boiler. Both work very well at heating 12 and 5 rads. Takes around an hour to get them hot. You do need a good fire going though for the first hour but ok to close them up a bit once rads hot enough.

I do think you do get what you pay for with a stove, I can see that a narrower firebox may keep the fire in contact with the boiler more but certainly in the AHI that can fit 500mm long logs in I never had any complaints of boiler performance. In fact the AHI was heating 12 rads at total 12.6kw:eek:

There are different quality stoves ranging from poor to excellent. I really say buy a named brand with a good reputation.

I quite like the design of the Aarrow ecoboiler. I'm buying a woodwarm next time:D

Well stove was suppose to be installed today, but put back to in the week....

Here the pics with the tiles grouted and the fire board painted. Cant really see any colour diff in the pics though....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Well stove was suppose to be installed today, but put back to in the week....

Here the pics with the tiles grouted and the fire board painted. Cant really see any colour diff in the pics though....

Hi rob. Just wanted to say I am really enjoying your posts. It's great to see pics of progress. Looking forward to seeing final pics. I am getting stove in myself next week so will make sure to post up before and after pics. Thanks stove man also for the amazing advice u give. A true star

• Advertisement

Thank you, i always tend to take before and after pics, bit of an old habbit. Good to look back on also ;)

Hi rob, looks great:) I bet you can't wait for the stove:D

I love taking before and after pictures too of renovation projects.

Cordni, we all like fireplace pictures:)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi rob, looks great:) I bet you can't wait for the stove:D

I love taking before and after pictures too of renovation projects.

Cordni, we all like fireplace pictures:)
    Hi stove fan and rob. Yes deffo love the before and after pics. To b Honest I initially wanted a stove that would heat rads but system won't allow that. Wanted a morso but found great deal on blacksmith for ☺€429 delivered. So if I get fIve years am happy. Then I will deffo get morso squirrel. Ok off now to clean house before stove man comes

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to burn old laminate flooring in a stove ?

Thanks

mished wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to burn old laminate flooring in a stove ?

Thanks

Best not to burn it due to the chemicals it releases during burning. Best taking to the tip:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

Thanks stove fan, will put it in the skip so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Where's the best (cheapest) place to buy Morso replacement glass? Preferably somewhere that would deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mcorriga

Blanchguy wrote: »
    Where's the best (cheapest) place to buy Morso replacement glass? Preferably somewhere that would deliver.

Hi,

I dont have an answer for your question unfortunaltely but I have ordered a Morse Squirell from Ryans Stoves in yellowbridge...

I think they can also source replacememts..

Can you tell me how you are getting on with your Morso and why you have to change the glass??

Is it due to a fault??

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

That's where I got mine, will give them a ring.

I found the stove excellent, it's about 6 years old at this stage, got plenty of hard use and this is the 1st problem I've had.

It's just a small crack on the corner of the glass, but I want to replace it before the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

We are looking to get a multi fuel stove installed which will heat water and about 9/12 rads.

Current set-up: gas effect fire in place, gas fired central heating, no back boiler. The sitting room is only about 13 sq m and the hot press is about 15 feet from the fire. The house is 12 years old and has never had a real fire lit in the chimney.

We have been quoted approx €5,000 for the job which will involve upgrading the existing gas boiler and changing the hot water tank that we have currently and using part of our mantlepiece that we have already. This quote includes an Inis stove for about €950. Says that it should take about 3 days to fully fit.

This is our first quote, is this reasonable?... btw, is it hard to get good installers? Finding it difficult to get people to come in and quote - maybe I'm not trying hard enough :o This guy seemed to be very knowledgeable and has put in many stoves.

Any thoughts much appreciated... :)

• Advertisement

Kaylee wrote: »
    We are looking to get a multi fuel stove installed which will heat water and about 9/12 rads.

Current set-up: gas effect fire in place, gas fired central heating, no back boiler. The sitting room is only about 13 sq m and the hot press is about 15 feet from the fire. The house is 12 years old and has never had a real fire lit in the chimney.

We have been quoted approx €5,000 for the job which will involve upgrading the existing gas boiler and changing the hot water tank that we have currently and using part of our mantlepiece that we have already. This quote includes an Inis stove for about €950. Says that it should take about 3 days to fully fit.

This is our first quote, is this reasonable?... btw, is it hard to get good installers? Finding it difficult to get people to come in and quote - maybe I'm not trying hard enough :o This guy seemed to be very knowledgeable and has put in many stoves.

Any thoughts much appreciated... :)

I'm very much into stoves but I have to say if you have mains gas, 5k would pay for a lot of gas:) If LPG then the stove would pay for itself after so long.

If you have mains gas personally you may be better going for a non boiler inset stove, much cheaper to install as no plumbing involved and still reducing the gas bill.
    If this is the case a woodwarm enigma insert or fireview insert would be great.

Your small room only requires a 3kw stove output to room, I haven't looked at the inis room output but please check as I don't want the room to be too hot, so only having a small fire, and so not heating the rads hot enough.

I personally would consider an inset stove like the ESSE 350 greenswitch. 12kw to boiler 3.7kw to room.
    Or if double doors to other rooms the Aarrow EB12HE inset stove. 12kw to water 5kw to room.

I can't really comment on the price as I haven't seen the job and what materials are involved.

Try and get further quotes:D

Hi Stove Fan,

Thanks for that... yeh, just plain old mains gas :) thought it was a bit pricey. Dont' get me wrong, we want this to be an investment and we are willing to pay for a good job... just not 5 grand :eek:

We have double doors leading to the dining/kitchen, the Aarrow EB12HE stove you recommended looks just like what I had in mind - not inset though, prefer the standing in the hearth look - ifykwim.

The idea of the back boiler heating the water and rads is appealing though... we were just a bit taken aback with the quote.

Stove Fan, if you have any stove installers that you would recommend in the Drogheda area, could you please pm me?

Kaylee wrote: »
    Hi Stove Fan,

Thanks for that... yeh, just plain old mains gas :) thought it was a bit pricey. Dont' get me wrong, we want this to be an investment and we are willing to pay for a good job... just not 5 grand :eek:

We have double doors leading to the dining/kitchen, the Aarrow EB12HE stove you recommended looks just like what I had in mind - not inset though, prefer the standing in the hearth look - ifykwim.

The idea of the back boiler heating the water and rads is appealing though... we were just a bit taken aback with the quote.

Stove Fan, if you have any stove installers that you would recommend in the Drogheda area, could you please pm me?

The double doors will help but dont get a stove with a high room heat. Don't forget if the stove is built into the brick/block fireplace opening it must have a 150mm gap each side of the stove and 300mm above to let the air circulate around the stove.

The EB12HE freestanding produces 6kw to the room and so is double the heat the room requires, it may get too warm even with the doors open.

Unfortunately I don't know any installers here:(

Try and get some more quotes and discuss the room heat requirements with your plumber.

Ok, thanks for the advice in relation to the heat and circulation Stove Fan, much appreciated! Don't want to make any mistakes with this - we can't afford to :o

Anyways, the search continues...

Right all done and in. Need to wait 5 days for the mortot to dry between the plate and chimney (not that i need to use it in summer time...)

Just need to get a few tools to go at the side and all ready to go. Already got a wood store full of seasoned wood and a wood basket.

and the last 2 shots.

That looks great Rob, well done - pretty much what I'm after myself. What kind of stove is that, is it attached to a back boiler?

A pic of it when it's all fired up would be a good finale! :)

Hi rob your fireplace looks great, really nice:)

Show us a photo of your hunter stove lit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Q. and apologies if this is not the place but no idea where else to put it.
    the next door neighbor has just installed a stove (today or yesterday) and on the first firing the smoke is spilling all over my back yard. I know nothing about building, but to me i think his chimney is not high enough? The chimney top is about 4 meters off the ground, on the low side of his extension roof.
    I cant see how i can hang clothes on the line without them getting smoked.

Is there a minimum chimney height? and how do i find out>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

lynski wrote: »
    Q. and apologies if this is not the place but no idea where else to put it.
    the next door neighbor has just installed a stove (today or yesterday) and on the first firing the smoke is spilling all over my back yard. I know nothing about building, but to me i think his chimney is not high enough? The chimney top is about 4 meters off the ground, on the low side of his extension roof.
    I cant see how i can hang clothes on the line without them getting smoked.

Is there a minimum chimney height? and how do i find out>
    contact your local council

Advertisement