Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

seannash wrote: »

Looks good but it's a fixed glass door that hinges to open. I discounted them as I though the door being open would get in the way of enjoying an open fire. They are a price though:eek: Check with the manufacturers that you can use it with the door open?
    The whole inset range on here. http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Inset-Stoves.html

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Stove Fan wrote: »
    seannash wrote: »

Looks good but it's a fixed glass door that hinges to open. I discounted them as I though the door being open would get in the way. They are a price though:eek:

I think they have a model where the glass slides up so hopefully we can make it work with our existing opening.
    Its definetly steep to buy but we should be saving due to the fact we may only need gas for cooking and not for additional heat.

I looked about and found the for under 3k so in the grand scheme of things its not too bad.at least its got the look I was after.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

Hi Stove Fan,

Finally, finally I decided on a stove, the Nestor Martin F 23. It was a demo model so got it almost half price. Ah but there is a price to pay for everything. Purchased in in your county a long way off, and when we unrapped it we found one leg broken off, not a great problem you might think but I was afraid it might be damaged otherwise. back it went , leg got fixed, and I can hope it was given a good check, stripped down etc. I WAS ASSURED IT WAS. The vendor refused to pay for the transportation, so that was an extra cost, and I foolishly signed for the stove on first arrival. Should have written unchecked, a lesson even at this age. So it became my responsibility it appears. So really paid for 3 deliveries,

I have operated it a few times, and it is very fiddley and frustrating to get going. A couple of times it just died out, and I was absolutely upset.
    As I got no operating manual (it was promised) I contacted Euroheat in England, very late on a Sunday night, and low and behold it was on my computer by 9.00am the following morning. I have been dealing through e mail a few times since, and I cannot tell you how helpful they are. I must say I also Contacted their representatives in Ireland (Galway) and they send me out immediately a hard copy. So great after service considering the stove was not purchased from either. The manual is really a 'dummy guide' even though I followed instructions to the letter, it was still problematic.

A couple of days I got it going fairly well, took off the 'helmet' that was put on the chimney pot, and perhaps that helped.
    I think perhaps the wood is only drying for about 6 months and they recommend not more than 20% moisture. So that is a tad disappointing. However turf, brickettes and preferably anthracite (which I wanted) are equally acceptable. The air system is so sophisticated that one has to stick to the rules. It takes about an hour to heat up, and it gets very hot, put a little bitumous coal in there but not suitable it appears, but it was roasting with it.
    The controls are at the bottom near the ash pit, and are super easy to use, if one was so inclined one could purchase a remote control for it, costing E 250, well will get that when I no longer can bend. The ash pan is very heavy and small, and because it is to the clean air standard very little ash is made.
    I love the look of it, and I know from what stove.com that some people have had a lot of problems lighting the fire. But that said I shall persevere and know I will get the hang of it.
    I took your advice and put in a 904/904 grade flue. WE were told it would do a furnace, so hopefully it will last me out.
    Like the previous gentleman I think you would have no problem setting up on your own. There are very low standards here (hate to generalise), there are many organisations here who are very willing to help start up a business.
    A van and a phone and don't limit the area.
    WE NEED YOU STOVE FAN. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE, IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED. GOOD LUCK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gcsherwood

Thanks, Stove Fan. I bought it. Let the adventure begin!

Hi Stove Fan,

Finally, finally I decided on a stove, the Nestor Martin F 23. It was a demo model so got it almost half price. Ah but there is a price to pay for everything. Purchased in in your county a long way off, and when we unrapped it we found one leg broken off, not a great problem you might think but I was afraid it might be damaged otherwise. back it went , leg got fixed, and I can hope it was given a good check, stripped down etc. I WAS ASSURED IT WAS. The vendor refused to pay for the transportation, so that was an extra cost, and I foolishly signed for the stove on first arrival. Should have written unchecked, a lesson even at this age. So it became my responsibility it appears. So really paid for 3 deliveries,

I have operated it a few times, and it is very fiddley and frustrating to get going. A couple of times it just died out, and I was absolutely upset.
    As I got no operating manual (it was promised) I contacted Euroheat in England, very late on a Sunday night, and low and behold it was on my computer by 9.00am the following morning. I have been dealing through e mail a few times since, and I cannot tell you how helpful they are. I must say I also Contacted their representatives in Ireland (Galway) and they send me out immediately a hard copy. So great after service considering the stove was not purchased from either. The manual is really a 'dummy guide' even though I followed instructions to the letter, it was still problematic.

A couple of days I got it going fairly well, took off the 'helmet' that was put on the chimney pot, and perhaps that helped.
    I think perhaps the wood is only drying for about 6 months and they recommend not more than 20% moisture. So that is a tad disappointing. However turf, brickettes and preferably anthracite (which I wanted) are equally acceptable. The air system is so sophisticated that one has to stick to the rules. It takes about an hour to heat up, and it gets very hot, put a little bitumous coal in there but not suitable it appears, but it was roasting with it.
    The controls are at the bottom near the ash pit, and are super easy to use, if one was so inclined one could purchase a remote control for it, costing E 250, well will get that when I no longer can bend. The ash pan is very heavy and small, and because it is to the clean air standard very little ash is made.
    I love the look of it, and I know from what stove.com that some people have had a lot of problems lighting the fire. But that said I shall persevere and know I will get the hang of it.
    I took your advice and put in a 904/904 grade flue. WE were told it would do a furnace, so hopefully it will last me out.
    Like the previous gentleman I think you would have no problem setting up on your own. There are very low standards here (hate to generalise), there are many organisations here who are very willing to help start up a business.
    A van and a phone and don't limit the area.
    WE NEED YOU STOVE FAN. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE, IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED. GOOD LUCK.

Hi, Glad you got the stove fixed although unfortunately had to pay to send and return. I can't understand why they couldn't of just sent the new part with you sending photographic proof of the broken piece:( They could then see if the stove needed returning. This would of saved you delivery charges. Glad they were helpful here and in the UK:)

A new stove is very much a learning curve as all stoves operate differently and every chimney can behave differently. You will soon see what works:D

I would love to start up but fear with the recession would I actually get custom? Thanks for your kind comments:)

Stove Fan:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭torres3011

Hi, Glad you got the stove fixed although unfortunately had to pay to send and return. I can't understand why they couldn't of just sent the new part with you sending photographic proof of the broken piece:( They could then see if the stove needed returning. This would of saved you delivery charges. Glad they were helpful here and in the UK:)

A new stove is very much a learning curve as all stoves operate differently and every chimney can behave differently. You will soon see what works:D

I would love to start up but fear with the recession would I actually get custom? Thanks for your kind comments:)

Stove Fan:D

Told you it would be a good idea...:D

Whats the worst thing that can happen.... you get no customers.... ergo back where you started.

With the price of oil going the way it is the stove is going to go from strength to strength in the next few years.

Everyone is getting them at the moment. Who wouldn't pay a 10 er or 20 quid for some good impartial advice?

Nothing ventured nothing gained mate. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Stove Fan,
    Very quick and very simple question, havin the choice between the Stanley Oisin 6kw (€399) or The Allen 7kw (€279) which would you recomennd overall ? Taking into account, heat,reliability value for money and parts ? Just as a room heater for a sitting room.

Stove Fan,
    Very quick and very simple question, havin the choice between the Stanley Oisin 6kw (€399) or The Allen 7kw (€279) which would you recomennd overall ? Taking into account, heat,reliability value for money and parts ? Just as a room heater for a sitting room.

Hi:) Out of the two it would, without doubt, be the Stanley oisin. Nicer looking and apparently made here in Waterford. It looks better quality and the high chrome grate should suit more heavy use.
    http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/room-heating/solid-fuel/oisin-stove.aspx

I'm sure I have seen the other stove as different names, most probably cast in China?
    I think its an evergreen budget Chinese. http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/evergreen-st0406gs-poplar-multifuel-woodburning-stove-p-6032.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hi:) Out of the two it would, without doubt, be the Stanley oisin. Nicer looking and apparently made here in Waterford. It looks better quality and the high chrome grate should suit more heavy use.
    http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/room-heating/solid-fuel/oisin-stove.aspx

I'm sure I have seen the other stove as different names, most probably cast in China?
    I think its an evergreen budget Chinese. http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/evergreen-st0406gs-poplar-multifuel-woodburning-stove-p-6032.html

Thanks again, I heard somewhere that the Oisin might also be chinese made and imported and rebranded by Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi Guys
    Can any one recommend the cheapest place to buy an insulated flue for an inis mor stove, 6"/7" in diameter
    thanks in advance
    Cc

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I heard somewhere that the Oisin might also be chinese made and imported and rebranded by Stanley.

I don't really know if all are made in Waterford, you could ask them:D In their video it does say their stoves are designed, produced, and tested in their factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Hi everyone

I need to source a flexi flue liner for my stove installation.

PM me with any suppliers if you know them?

Also is 304 grade stainless steel sufficient for a multi-fuel stove (I plan to burn wood and smokeless coal or anthracite).

Or do I need to get the more expensive 904 grade flexi liner?

Thanks

Mickyd

mickydcork wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I need to source a flexi flue liner for my stove installation.

PM me with any suppliers if you know them?

Also is 304 grade stainless steel sufficient for a multi-fuel stove (I plan to burn wood and smokeless coal or anthracite).

Or do I need to get the more expensive 904 grade flexi liner?

Thanks

Mickyd

Hi, I can't help with flue suppliers but the 316 grade liner is lesser quality and more suited for burning wood/ intermittent coal use.
    If your a heavy stove user I would get the longer lasting/better quality 904 Grade. I think fit the dearest as it's the same cost for labour anyway. The 904 has a longer guarantee than the 316 grade.

The choice is yours though:D

Hi, I can't help with flue suppliers but the 316 grade liner is lesser quality and more suited for burning wood/ intermittent coal use.
    If your a heavy stove user I would get the longer lasting/better quality 904 Grade. I think fit the dearest as it's the same cost for labour anyway. The 904 has a longer guarantee than the 316 grade.

The choice is yours though:D

Thanks for that. Will be installing it myself.

Do you know if the diameter of the flexi-flue liner should be the same as my 5"(125mm) vitreous enamel stove flue?

Or is it ok to use a 6" flexi flue with a 6" to 5" flexi to vitreous enamel adaptor?

I can only source 6" 904 grade flexi liner and I suppose using the bigger gauge flexi flue would reduce the amount of vermiculite needed for back-filling the chimney flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The minimum diameter of flue allowed for solid flue is 6 inch.You can use 5 inch connecting flue pipe with a 5-6in adaptor.The connecting flue should be 600mm long before it connects to the flexi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi all,
    I posted here for info a few weeks ago.
    Many thanks to stovefan for replies.
    Thought I would share the before and after pic's

All done for 1450.00 including new marble hearth under the stove.

thanks again.

mickydcork wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Will be installing it myself.

Do you know if the diameter of the flexi-flue liner should be the same as my 5"(125mm) vitreous enamel stove flue?

Or is it ok to use a 6" flexi flue with a 6" to 5" flexi to vitreous enamel adaptor?

I can only source 6" 904 grade flexi liner and I suppose using the bigger gauge flexi flue would reduce the amount of vermiculite needed for back-filling the chimney flue.

For UK building regulations you should use a minimum 6 inch flue on a 5 inch stove outlet unless it's on the approved DEFRA cleanburning list.

For a multifuel stove with a 5 inch flue outlet use a 6 inch flue liner.

It may not be regulations here but I would adhere to UK regs on stove installation. Backfill the flue with vermiculite.

The flexi flue liner shouldn't join directly to the stove, use a short length of black enamel rigid flue pipe to connect stove to liner.

For UK building regulations you should use a minimum 6 inch flue on a 5 inch stove outlet unless it's on the approved DEFRA cleanburning list.

It may not be regulations here but I would adhere to UK regs on stove installation. Backfill the flue with vermiculite.

The flexi flue liner shouldn't join directly to the stove, use a short length of black enamel rigid flue pipe to connect stove to liner.

Thanks for that. Good info.

It seems I can only get the 904 grade flue in 6inches anyway.

Interestingly the stove I went for is on the DEFRA approved list - it's a Morso Squirrel 1412.

I'd like the smoke emitted from my flue to be as low in particulate matter as possible.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I posted here for info a few weeks ago.
    Many thanks to stovefan for replies.
    Thought I would share the before and after pic's

All done for 1450.00 including new marble hearth under the stove.

thanks again.

Looks nice:) The only thing I would have issue with is the skirting board behind the stove, may be too close to the stove. See clearance to combustibles in installation book.
    The flue may need to be raised if you have smoke coming in if velux roof window is open.
    It would of been nice if it was corner ways on in the corner.

Apart from that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Stove Fan:

Part j of Irish building regs states that any closed appliance burning bituminous coal should have a minimum flue size of 150mm
    For wood burning only 125 is acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Hi, I put this in another forum by mistake. :rolleyes:

Have been researching lots on this one and I am confused as I was before I began!

I am looking at replacing open fire with inset stove at some point. However, I cannot determine whether I should line the chimney or not. The house is 10 years old and is a dormer semi-D. The fire has been in use since day one with coal etc, chimney cleaned annually. The room is 17 ft x 11 ft and am looking for a simple room heater that looks nice.

I appreciate that if it was an old house there would be no question as to lining the chimney but I have got mixed answers when I ask around. Some say do, some say no need.
    My own thinking is that, considering the stove will be in place for many years, I would be better off just getting a flexi flue liner fitted to save on hassle down the road.

Any opinions are much appreciated.

batman1 wrote: »
    Hi, I put this in another forum by mistake. :rolleyes:

Have been researching lots on this one and I am confused as I was before I began!

I am looking at replacing open fire with inset stove at some point. However, I cannot determine whether I should line the chimney or not. The house is 10 years old and is a dormer semi-D. The fire has been in use since day one with coal etc, chimney cleaned annually. The room is 17 ft x 11 ft and am looking for a simple room heater that looks nice.

I appreciate that if it was an old house there would be no question as to lining the chimney but I have got mixed answers when I ask around. Some say do, some say no need.
    My own thinking is that, considering the stove will be in place for many years, I would be better off just getting a flexi flue liner fitted to save on hassle down the road.

Any opinions are much appreciated.
    Hi Batman
    You can buy an adaptor to match the stove and original Chimnley flue
    If the original flue is good then save your money.
    Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 32 el sorcerino

Hi stove fan,

We're considering installing 3 stoves in our new build but are a little daunted by the options.
    The rooms are the following sizes.

1. 54sq mtrs, it's an open plan kitchen/living/sunroom that comprises of 45sqm kitchen/dining with a 9sqm sunroom off it's south side. 2 steps down to sunroom with a waist high partition. Ceiling 8ft.
    We are contemplating a 2 sided stove in the partition between kitchen and sunroom but with only 9sqm on 1 side will that work?

2. 22sqm room that is open to the roof at 5.5m. Possibly built into a fireplace on the north facing wall?

3. 15sqm sitting room with 8ft ceiling?

Also, We hope to supplement the hot water and/or rads upstairs with a back boiler/boilers from these stoves. We intend on UFH downstairs with rads upstairs and were wondering what you would recommend to best achieve this? i.e would the smaller stove be better for water heating as it needs to heat less space etc
    Any recommendations on good models would also be much appreciated!

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but you seem to be the man with the know how and you've been doing Trojan work here so far...:D

Hi stove fan,

We're considering installing 3 stoves in our new build but are a little daunted by the options.

1. 54sq mtrs, it's an open plan kitchen/living/sunroom that comprises of 45sqm kitchen/dining with a 9sqm sunroom off it's south side. 2 steps down to sunroom with a waist high partition. Ceiling 8ft.
    We are contemplating a 2 sided stove in the partition between kitchen and sunroom but with only 9sqm on 1 side will that work?

2. 22sqm room that is open to the roof at 5.5m. Possibly built into a fireplace on the north facing wall?

Also, We hope to supplement the hot water and/or rads upstairs with a back boiler/boilers from these stoves. We intend on UFH downstairs with rads upstairs and were wondering what you would recommend to best achieve this? i.e would the smaller stove be better for water heating as it needs to heat less space etc

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but you seem to be the man with the know how and you've been doing Trojan work here so far...:D

Hi
    Would have to recommend that you fit a multi- fuel stratification tank with this system .
    Minimum a 500 litre tank which will work with solid fuel , solar and oil
    I'm open to contradiction on this from stove fan but it's your best option .

Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Looks nice:) The only thing I would have issue with is the skirting board behind the stove, may be too close to the stove. See clearance to combustibles in installation book.
    The flue may need to be raised if you have smoke coming in if velux roof window is open.
    It would of been nice if it was corner ways on in the corner.

Apart from that looks good.

Thanks for the comments, i did discuss the skirting board, and as the stove is on a marble hearth, and obviously on legs it clears the height of the skirting, or so I am informed.
    I have noticed the plasterboard behind the stove does get quite warm, should I be concerned. The distance is per the manual.
    Was not possible to fit in corner as there is an access hatch in bedroom to the space behind the wall, and it would have been blocked by the flue.
    No issues with smoke, did get a bird in the flue, dog went mad as it was looking down through the plate on ceiling, opened hatch and window and flew away, or else got fried when I lit fire.
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

7655594978_c44c07ecea_z.jpg7655593118_c47f59a77b_z.jpg7655581538_603bb60a9a_z.jpg7655578026_6795118c09_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rob_talisman

Excellent:) Let us know how you get on:D

Well its been almost a year since i last posted here. Things went a bit poo at home...

Anyway back on track im finally going to install my stove i bought last Sept....

Spent the last two days ripping out the fireplace and widening the wall. See Pics

Ive ordered a lintel and 6mm fire board to line the back and sides, hopefully start that next weekend if im not working again.

At the minute (see first pic) ive a granite hearth that sits in front of the old gas fire. i want to still use this in front. Build the back up under the stove to the same height. then tile the hearth all the way back inside and under the stove. Anyone done anything like that?

Hi stove fan,

Hi, For the various rooms as a quide you need around:

Room 1,

9KW to room.

Room 2,

8kw because of high ceiling.

Room 3

2.5kw.

If your house is very well insulated reduce the heat output needed.

If I was you I would install a large boiler stove in the 54 sqm open plan room as this is the largest space to heat. The underfloor heating would hardly need to be on once the stove was lit. There are very few double sided freestanding boiler stoves unfortunately. I have no idea if the smaller room would be overheated by a double sided stove.
    Something like this.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/eb20-he.html
    or lesser powerful version.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/freestanding-stoves/eb16-he.html

For your room 2 I would go for a woodwarm enigma 8 freestanding stove.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/wildwood-range1/enigma8kwfreestanding.ashx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glXbfrNESys

Room 3:

Woodwarm enigma 3.5 or fireview 4 insert stove.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/wildwood-range1/enigma35kwinset.ashx
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwinsetfireview.ashx

A video on youtube of the enigma insert stove.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PtMw7CGLM

This below is the 6.5kw but looks the same as the fireview 4kw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCMmV4vszEs

You would be best to link the boiler stove and any other boilers oil/gas to a thermal store/buffer tank. These tanks are sized according to heating load and most are around 1,000 litre capacity. These tanks can link various boilers and solar panels and can run radiators and underfloor heating from them. They are like a giant hot water cylinder which is heated by the various boilers and the hot water is stored inside and is pumped to the rads and underfloor as needed by timers etc. They are very well insulated:D

Get a professional in to size all the stoves properly based on room sizes, U values and size the thermal store/buffer tank.

There are many stoves out there as everyone has different taste. Choosing a stove is a personal thing:). See stove reviews here or search for stoves you like. www.whatstove.co.uk Not all stoves are listed as some are new models to the market.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments, i did discuss the skirting board, and as the stove is on a marble hearth, and obviously on legs it clears the height of the skirting, or so I am informed.
    I have noticed the plasterboard behind the stove does get quite warm, should I be concerned. The distance is per the manual.
    Was not possible to fit in corner as there is an access hatch in bedroom to the space behind the wall, and it would have been blocked by the flue.
    No issues with smoke, did get a bird in the flue, dog went mad as it was looking down through the plate on ceiling, opened hatch and window and flew away, or else got fried when I lit fire.
    thanks again.

There should be no combustible materials nearer that what the stove manufacturer allows. Plasterboard being one of them as it's combustible.

If worried about how warm it's getting I personally would get a sheet of vermiculite board installed behind as plasterboard is flammable, following the board manufacturers instructions. Better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.hamco.ie/component/k2/item/47-fire-board
    http://www.irelandstoves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=108

See if the flue manufacturer does a bird guard flue terminal:D

• Advertisement

Well its been almost a year since i last posted here. Things went a bit poo at home...

Anyway back on track im finally going to install my stove i bought last Sept....

Spent the last two days ripping out the fireplace and widening the wall. See Pics

Ive ordered a lintel and 6mm fire board to line the back and sides, hopefully start that next weekend if im not working again.

At the minute (see first pic) ive a granite hearth that sits in front of the old gas fire. i want to still use this in front. Build the back up under the stove to the same height. then tile the hearth all the way back inside and under the stove. Anyone done anything like that?

Taking shape:D I would prop the chimney tempoarily if lintel isn't installed, just some tempoary wooden props cut to length would do for now.

With your hearth are you planning to tile over the granite front or just the rear section? I personally wouldn't use the granite front as being one big piece it may crack with the heat. It may not but myself it would look better if the hearth was all the same material. I personally would use flagstones/slate or build a level concrete hearth and tile it.

Show us the end result and have fun:D

Advertisement