Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Starting team announced

1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    5. Tony Browne Mount Sion
    6. Michael Walsh (Captain) Stradbally
    7. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    8. Stephen Molumphy Ballyduff Upper
    9. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    10. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    11. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    12. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    13. John Mullane De La Salle
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15. Gavin O’Brien Roanmore

• Registered Users Posts: 37,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Starting team announced

1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Noel Connors Passage
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    5. Tony Browne Mount Sion
    6. Michael Walsh (Captain) Stradbally
    7. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    8. Stephen Molumphy Ballyduff Upper
    9. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    10. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    11. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    12. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    13. John Mullane De La Salle
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15. Gavin O’Brien Roanmore

I'd have Kelly ahead of Pauric but management have deemed him fit and hopefully he will be match fit and gives a good performance

Hopefully tony browne will be able to match the speed of the tipp half forward line.

Have a feeling this maybe the last Munster final appearances for Tony Browne and possibly Seasmus Pendergast and John Mullane.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd have Kelly ahead of Pauric but management have deemed him fit and hopefully he will be match fit and gives a good performance

Hopefully tony browne will be able to match the speed of the tipp half forward line.

Have a feeling this maybe the last Munster final appearances for Tony Browne and possibly Seasmus Pendergast and John Mullane.

Jaysus I dunno weve been saying that about Browne every year for the past 10 years and hes still there!

Will be a proud day for Mickey Mahony with two younglads starting on the team

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Jesus the ball hasn't even been thrown in and your retiring lads.

Fairly happy with the line-up. Think Foley is a little unlucky but no real complaints. Surprised to see Paudie in but if he's not 100% we have good replacements in O'Neill and of course Kelly. After scoring 0-13 in this game last year he should have nothing to fear marking the relatively inexperienced Tom Stapleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

glad to see tony starting,hoping for a shanahan style swan song a la 2010 was there for both finals :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

glick6 wrote: »
    I have a feeling theres goong to be a surprise in the team. We'l wait til it's named officially. Shouldn't be long now!

Read on FB Tony starts

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Optimist eternal

I just hope Tony Browne has the legs for it. His experience will be a great asset for the team on Sunday.

Jaysus I dunno weve been saying that about Browne every year for the past 10 years and hes still there!

Will be a proud day for Mickey Mahony with two younglads starting on the team

the mothers genes don't hurt either,having two uncles of the old guard

I just hope Tony Browne has the legs for it. His experience will be a great asset for the team on Sunday.

he can only be an asset cool the nerves starting off,get the team right,if he falters they can swop him out once the team settles,no sense bringing him on once the horse has bolted,get the team right,only waterford can beat waterford,tipp dont have a chance

are you kidding? prender and tony I see ,but mullane has years in him yet .

went to school woith mullane thought he was a cocky git,but what i dont like about him as a person ,i loveabout him as a hurler ,driven pushed a man possesed,he has at least 4 years,and would have any 13 jersey in the country if he wanted it,bar kk,they dont have room for flair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 JohnMcClane

I hope Mahoney is 100% as their half back line are key for them and will require a huge work rate from whoever we play there! Delighted to see him back as for his free taking alone he is a big asset, can't argue with rest of team. Think foley is bit unlucky but his inter county career is only starting & is still feeling his way back to match sharpness. Looking forward to it now.........COYBIB!!!!

ok this coy thing has got to stop,this is not soccer,what ever happened to the good aul abu

on top boys in blue will only get hijacked by the jackeens

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Shocked Tony is starting. Take the romantics and emotion out of it and it's crazy we don't have a better suited player against a brilliant Tipp half forward line, full of pace and power. I really hope he's flying in training, or something.

solarith wrote: »
    Shocked Tony is starting. Take the romantics and emotion out of it and it's crazy we don't have a better suited player against a brilliant Tipp half forward line, full of pace and power. I really hope he's flying in training, or something.

I think that having tony starting will give the team some settle

if he goes ragged they can sub him off once the team are right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Would be fairly happy with that team. People have been saying Tony is on the wane for years but I don't ever recall him having a bad game in that period. The game is not all about pace and his reading of the game and calmness under pressure are huge assets in a Munster final. Even if Paudie Mahony was half fit he'd be a huge improvement on Kelly given his display the last day. Paudie's work rate is fantastic and that is something you will never get from Kelly.
    I suspect Philip Mahony was moved to midfield in the Clare game due to the perceived inexperience of the half back line. With Tony back in I wouldn't be surprised if Moran switched to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

I think that having tony starting will give the team some settle

if he goes ragged they can sub him off once the team are right
    CMON TONY BROWNE YA LEGEND ,,,,....COMMA COMMA FULL STOP. UP THE DEISE .

solarith wrote: »

The reason Tony didnt play against Clare is because he was carrying an injury. Now that hes fit again he resumes his position in the team that hes had for the last 20 years. I seen him against Dublin in the league and I though he was excellent that day havent seen him in any other game so dont know what his form has been like,but assume if hes starting that hes still well up to it. Weve got to trust the management on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LeftFull

Just wondering lads does anyone know where the box office collection for tickets for the blackrock end terrace is? Don't want to be wandering around like a fool when i get there as i have never used this service before. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

ok this coy thing has got to stop,this is not soccer,what ever happened to the good aul abu

on top boys in blue will only get hijacked by the jackeens

COYBIB

COYBIB

Hurling is so much better than a hackneyed nonsense inherited from the occupying forces,

They will never have the passion or love beyond what they are getting paid for

Hurling is better than that,I was hoping the Déise as a whole was too

calvin you remind me of limeirck or some cork fans they forget whatsport they are thierto watch and act like soccer fans

we are so much better than their culture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Hurling is so much better than a hackneyed nonsense inherited from the occupying forces,

calvin you remind me of limeirck or some cork fans they forget whatsport they are thierto watch and act like soccer fans

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

COYBIB

Come on you boys in blue has been sung in the Waterford terraces as far back as I can ever remember. As for "occupying forces", what is that about? Sports often copy each other in many ways, yellow cards, red cards etc. And phrases, songs and chants are the same. It's no big deal and it's about time people got over this hatred of soccer, leave that to the bitter ignorant ould fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

deisedevil wrote: »
    Come on you boys in blue has been sung in the Waterford terraces as far back as I can ever remember. As for "occupying forces", what is that about? Sports often copy each other in many ways, yellow cards, red cards etc. And phrases, songs and chants are the same. It's no big deal and it's about time people got over this hatred of soccer, leave that to the bitter ignorant ould fellas.

Ive never quite understood that song as we play in white..but whatever works..

Anyway the team for sunday.. Im happy TB is starting.. Dont really care what age he is as long as he's good enough.Ok he's been caught a few times in the past few years for pace but he contributes so much else in general play that he must be worth a starting place. I think this is his 9th Munster final(11th if you include replays), quite an awesome achievement by any standards. I would have started Kelly instead of Gavin O Brien or Shane walsh as I think he has the physical presence and experience to cause trouble in the Tipp (full)backline but I think GOB is a fantastic player and will get a few points from play anyway, all going well. Id kinda worry slightly about our midfield would prefer Moran to be starting there, he might do yet. Our half forward line looks good and I think Prendergast is perfect at no. 11 he will win ball, break up play for the wing forwards Shanhan & Mahony who have no problems sticking the ball over the bar given a chance.

All in all id be quietly if not overtly confident about our chances, losing wouldnt be the end of the world as we are in a AI qf with KK on the otherside of the draw but I would prefer to see us win against Tipp in a Munster final any day. It'll be close,I think we'll put on a memorable performance and win by 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Hopefully Sunday's game will be a cracker and ill be cheering on Waterford from Oz in the early hours of Sunday night/Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

Best of luck to Waterford on Sunday from a Tipp man, have a great day out win lose or draw, safe travelling and lets hope the sun comes out for a cracker..See ye in the rowing club for a few scoops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Delighted that Tony Browne is picked. As someone who is the same age as the great man, it does the heart good to see him playing against guys 20 years younger than him and not doing a half bad job of it.

Can't see Waterford winning but i've said that before and driven home a happy boy from some far oupost of Munster to the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Yeboah wrote: »
    Best of luck to Waterford on Sunday from a Tipp man, have a great day out win lose or draw, safe travelling and lets hope the sun comes out for a cracker..See ye in the rowing club for a few scoops :D
    Cheers that's the true meaning of sport lets hope we get the sunshine and we all enjoy two great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Cheers that's the true meaning of sport lets hope we get the sunshine and we all enjoy two great games.

Ah shuks ... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Mixed feeelings about Tony Browne playing tbh, firstly from a completely selfish Tipperary viewpoint its great, I cant see him containing anyone of those 6 forwards we have and he will be exposed for pace I have no doubt.

But from a hurling fans view, thats not something I want to see, Tony is a legend of the game, a true gentleman on and off the field and one of the greatest Gaels of the last 30 years, and it would be a shame to see him been run ragged, obviously I want Tipp to win but I sincerely hope that Tony Browne emerges from the game with he's lofty reputation still in tact, he will with me and im sure alot of others regardless, but unfortunately alot of 'fans' these days are very fickle and have short memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Mixed feeelings about Tony Browne playing tbh, firstly from a completely selfish Tipperary viewpoint its great, I cant see him containing anyone of those 6 forwards we have and he will be exposed for pace I have no doubt.

But from a hurling fans view, thats not something I want to see, Tony is a legend of the game, a true gentleman on and off the field and one of the greatest Gaels of the last 30 years, and it would be a shame to see him been run ragged, obviously I want Tipp to win but I sincerely hope that Tony Browne emerges from the game with he's lofty reputation still in tact, he will with me and im sure alot of others regardless, but unfortunately alot of 'fans' these days are very fickle and have short memories.

To be fair, I have never seen Tony Browne run ragged by anyone. People keep on expecting it to happen but it never does. When you forget about his age he is still a top player on merit. This is a guy thats had an all star nomination every year for the last few years don't forget. I agree with you about not wanting a legend like him to be embarrassed some day but I suppose we just have to trust the fact that him starting means Ryan has the confidence in him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement