Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

mecco wrote: »
    That letter is well written and does a good job of calling the comments out for what they were: A snide dig from someone who is supposed to be the lead representative of all members of Munster GAA.

At the same time, I'm still extremely annoyed at our own board for letting such a financial situation occur, and the whole extremely parochial east/west crap that prevented us from having a single decent county stadium back when funds were available. It's also worth noting that expecting an agreement re any external stadium is far from likely when we couldn't even agree on a location internal to the county.

However, all that is in the past and can't be changed and as such we need to come up with a way to put us on a level playing field (no pun) with the other counties. To this purpose, Nowlan park is the most obvious that's immediately available. I wonder what WIT has planned for Cariganore pitch in terms of stands, and would that be suitable/available at any stage. Wouldn't it be beneficial to WIT to have regular income coming from such a venture or do they care I wonder.

If Carriganore was to be developed as some want it to be into some sort of state of the art stadium with facilities etc, would it mean that WIT would have to hand it over or sell it to the GAA. I cant see the GAA at provincial or national level putting the required sums of money into it that some want spent on it, as the association does not own the grounds. Funding might be able to be got from the Lotto however, but with that to be sold off will the same money be put into projects as what used to be since it was set up. The GAA might make money available but it could be more in loans rather than grants, and with us in the sh1te as deep as we are, do we want to get involved in loans anytime in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Black Suir wrote: »
    Shows how closed minded some are and might be in need of replacing. Get in people who will make some tough calls that the present board are afraid to do. By board i mean elected officers and especially club delegates.
    But that's the thing - it comes down to club representation, where the clubs tend to elect people to honour them, no who should be there. I look at my own club and every position is filled because someone turned up to an AGM and they got a job! It's crazy! It happens everywhere. There is a vote and a second and then we complain about the county board but what needs to be done is elect the correct people at club level and then in-turn the officers at boards will be correct too.

solarith wrote: »
    But that's the thing - it comes down to club representation, where the clubs tend to elect people to honour them, no who should be there. I look at my own club and every position is filled because someone turned up to an AGM and they got a job! It's crazy! It happens everywhere. There is a vote and a second and then we complain about the county board but what needs to be done is elect the correct people at club level and then in-turn the officers at boards will be correct too.

Have you ever attended a County or Divisional Board meeting and see some of the people that attend to represent the clubs. You have two or three at every meeting who have a competition to see which of them are going to have the last word on each topic on the agenda. Staight away I can think of one rep from a city club and one from a mid county club who are in this competition. Then you have the few who only open their mouth to talk to the person next to them or close by them to ask is it a time for a fag yet or if its a long meeting, another fag, and will we go outside the door to smoke it or go to the toilets. Some of the clubs will have to take more than their share of the blame for the sh!te we are in for sending some of the clowns they are sending to meetings. O Yes, and then you have the clubs of the elected representatives who will vote with what has been agreed to vote in block by the elected reps from their meeting in the week or so before the monthly meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

This would make the most sense but good luck getting the west to agree to basically downgrade Fraher

im from the west and id be all for it, jesus they have some grounds there lots of potential

I'm just curious here.
    and sorry for bring this up again.

but when a team win the all ireland. does that county get some kind of payment to do up grounds and pitch's ect,

well if we could focus on winning an all Ireland wouldn't that sort out all of our debt problems. ??? and maybe help towards getting new grounds set up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

well if we could focus on winning an all Ireland wouldn't that sort out all of our debt problems. ??? and maybe help towards getting new grounds set up ?

great idea. why hasnt anyone thought of that before? all we have to do is win an all-ireland and bobs our uncle. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

If Carriganore was to be developed as some want it to be into some sort of state of the art stadium with facilities etc, would it mean that WIT would have to hand it over or sell it to the GAA. I cant see the GAA at provincial or national level putting the required sums of money into it that some want spent on it, as the association does not own the grounds. Funding might be able to be got from the Lotto however, but with that to be sold off will the same money be put into projects as what used to be since it was set up. The GAA might make money available but it could be more in loans rather than grants, and with us in the sh1te as deep as we are, do we want to get involved in loans anytime in the near future.

I don't know, it seems to me WIT would want to do any upgrade like that themselves as that pitch can also be 2 full-size soccer pitches so they aren't going to do anything simply to suit the local GAA. That doesn't mean it's unfeasible as they seem to have great plans for all of Cariganore. I'd guess it'd be a case of Waterford GAA coming to some agreement about the use of it whenever it was done, similar to the intention of using Nowlan park. Nowlan park seems like a great stop-gap measure if people got on board. Thats a big if as a few posters have said though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

So Tacky

If you got a couple of junior cert kids they would do better

Why do they have to smash beer bottles, too?

You can imagine the Morketing manager at 3

"Get the culchie goy to knock over some bottles of beer using his stick in some derelict area down in bogland. Those horler guys love the ol booze. I heard they drink that black stuff form bottles"

3 are a mobile phone company FFS

GAA and Alcohol

Embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

solarith wrote: »
    ah well said ,its like on your own committee you put something forward the click disagree ,so you battle on then you do the same time and time again and they disagree they want you on a committee because its handy for them ,makes them look democratic but they have their minds made up already ,ye get pissed off leave the committee and possibly the club unless you have a young lad or a young wan playing the game , its been known for a committee to vote on something and the club delegate turning up at the board meeting and voting the way the click wanted ,unreal

• Advertisement

mecco wrote: »
    I don't know, it seems to me WIT would want to do any upgrade like that themselves as that pitch can also be 2 full-size soccer pitches so they aren't going to do anything simply to suit the local GAA. That doesn't mean it's unfeasible as they seem to have great plans for all of Cariganore. I'd guess it'd be a case of Waterford GAA coming to some agreement about the use of it whenever it was done, similar to the intention of using Nowlan park. Nowlan park seems like a great stop-gap measure if people got on board. Thats a big if as a few posters have said though!!

If you are correct, the GAA should pull out straight away as we are only putting dead money into the place, if the County Board or the G.A.A. does not own the place. The GAA will have very little to do with it anyway if other sports are allowed to be played there. I know the GAA have allowed Rugby, Soccer and I think American Football to be played in Croke Park, but thats a slightly different case. They own the ground and left them in when there was nothing else on there. If they did not own the WIT Campus they would have to go to them every time they wanted to use the place to make sure there was not Soccer, Rugby, Athletics or what ever sports events are held there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tipperary XV to play Waterford in Munster SHC final at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday, 15 July, throw-in 4.00pm.

1 Brendan Cummins, 2 Conor O’Brien, 3 Paul Curran (capt), 4 Michael Cahill, 5 Thomas Stapleton, 6 Conor O’Mahony, 7 Padraic Maher, 8 Brendan Maher, 9 Shane McGrath, 10 Pa Bourke, 11 Patrick Maher, 12 Lar Corbett, 13 Brian O’Meara, 14 John O’Brien, 15 Noel McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So Tacky

"Get the culchie goy to knock over some bottles of beer using his stick in some derelict area down in bogland. Those horler guys love the ol booze. I heard they drink that black stuff form bottles"

GAA and Alcohol

Embarrassing

The Managing Director of the company is from Waterford, so maybe he had some say in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

This has to be the quietest build up to a Munster Final that I can remember, there's hardly any colour around no flags on cars or house's on both sides of the county border, is it a forgone conclusion or lack of interest or are we just taking it all for granted. With big improvements in Cork, Clare and Limerick this could be our last appearance for quiet some time lets hope we can make this one count. I don't want another loss as that would be three in a row, that would not be good for confidence going forward yet looking at the two teams you would have to say Tipp hold all the aces. Its all on the day lets hope the lads give it a good lash hope the day is fine and we get a great Munster Final and maybe Babs might open his big mouth. Let the countdown begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

So Tacky

GAA and Alcohol

Embarrassing

Jesus you're some laugh aren't you? What seems to be the problem with a video that's nothing but a bit of fun? I suppose the fact that 3 are sponsors of Waterford has nothing to do with it? Or the fact that the head guy Finnegan is from Waterford? I really don't see why you have to be such a prick about it, care to enlighten me?

great idea. why hasnt anyone thought of that before? all we have to do is win an all-ireland and bobs our uncle. :rolleyes:

i wouldn't rule it out, i have faith in the team,

we might not win it this year. but we are getting closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

So Tacky

GAA and Alcohol

Embarrassing
    bogland... Was that an attempt at humour or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

How long have we been saying that now? We missed the best chances we'll ever get back In 04 and 07. It's the end of a beautiful era for Waterford hurling. The teams in those two years were the best Waterford sides I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

How long have we been saying that now? We missed the best chances we'll ever get back In 04 and 07. It's the end of a beautiful era for Waterford hurling. The teams in those two years were the best Waterford sides I've ever seen.

and 98 was the greatest chance of all,

we have a bad start to the year and were wrote off, Sunday will tell where we really stand, look at Galway facing relegation at the start of the year, between Laois and Offaly i think they scored 4 or 5 goals on them,i know we don't have the good players that Galway have coming through.with them winning minor and u21 medals

and then they come out and blow the mighty cats away.hold them scoreless for most of the first half.how often does that happen ?

anything is possible in sport.on any given day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

If you are correct, the GAA should pull out straight away as we are only putting dead money into the place, if the County Board or the G.A.A. does not own the place. The GAA will have very little to do with it anyway if other sports are allowed to be played there. I know the GAA have allowed Rugby, Soccer and I think American Football to be played in Croke Park, but thats a slightly different case. They own the ground and left them in when there was nothing else on there. If they did not own the WIT Campus they would have to go to them every time they wanted to use the place to make sure there was not Soccer, Rugby, Athletics or what ever sports events are held there on.

Well, I thought I saw that on the website but I can't find it now at all so god only knows what I was reading!! It's possible I was reading about the soccer pitches that are definitely beside the main GAA pitch.

Either way, I'm not sure what you were expecting as AFAIK it's WIT land, pitches and facilities (albeit with that centre of excellence muddying the water a bit) so the GAA don't have anything to pull out of. My point was simply that IMO it'd be a win-win for the college and Waterford GAA if Cariganore was in a position to provide the agreement that was being suggested with Nowlan Park. Although it currently isn't anyway :)

Back to this weekend anyway. I'm delighted the build-up has been so quiet. Far too often the run up to Waterford games has been a list of rumours and sideshows. This time it's a case of being the underdogs who have the head down and are preparing for the job at hand. It gives me hope I'll have a happier face on me leaving Pairc Ui Kip this year!

Up the Deise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

When is the team due to be announced lads? Already getting butterflies about this match, Galway's win at the weekend has given me new found optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    This has to be the quietest build up to a Munster Final that I can remember, there's hardly any colour around no flags on cars or house's on both sides of the county border, is it a forgone conclusion or lack of interest or are we just taking it all for granted. With big improvements in Cork, Clare and Limerick this could be our last appearance for quiet some time lets hope we can make this one count. I don't want another loss as that would be three in a row, that would not be good for confidence going forward yet looking at the two teams you would have to say Tipp hold all the aces. Its all on the day lets hope the lads give it a good lash hope the day is fine and we get a great Munster Final and maybe Babs might open his big mouth. Let the countdown begin.
    How true is that... Usually years ago, load of flags on cars and houses but not anymore... Probably due to Celtic (Tiger)Gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...down in bogland...

In fairness, it looked to me as much more of a gritty urban wasteland...

Since when did that matter? Mobile phone companies have long been doing irrelevant ads, usually showing hipsters in some indeterminate location where everyone is 22, has an iPad, wears beanies and skinny jeans, and the sun is always shining, where beer is drunk but nobody every seems pissed, a global village that could be Barcelona, San Francisco, or hell, even Dublin!

Nice to see an ad that's a bit different - and they're Waterford GAA's sponsor remember.

GAA and Alcohol

Hehe, that's a debate for another day entirely! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

fricatus wrote: »
    In fairness, it looked to me as much more of a gritty urban wasteland...
    Looked to me like the old railway lines below in Plunkett Station! Not often you get a Waterford man crossing the river to earn a few pound, its usually the other way round.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Looked to me like the old railway lines below in Plunkett Station! Not often you get a Waterford man crossing the river to earn a few pound, its usually the other way round.:pac:

That's exactly where it is - you can see that Irish Cement thingy that's visible from Sallypark as you drive into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

fricatus wrote: »
    That's exactly where it is - you can see that Irish Cement thingy that's visible from Sallypark as you drive into town.

Yeah all the MK5 orange carraiges are stored over there. such a west of stock. I think its a good video. Even getting the aul traditional large bottle into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

I wonder were the bockles cold or off the shelf?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Any word on Darragh Fives lads?

Will gavin o brien start?

I think if we're to have any chance we have to limit Tips halfbackline influence, espeically P Maher.

Last year he supplied ball for alot of Lar's scores. He was marking Eoin mcgrath.
    Hopefully Maurice will start on that wing and cause him trouble.
    Cant wait until Sunday, anyone care to give their best team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I rang Bus Eireann asking if they're doing buses to the game, they told me no. I then see an ad in the Waterford Today specifically aimed at people going to the Munster Final that they are doing "expressway" buses to Cork but it's just the regular Waterford-Cork bus and it's €27.50 for a return ticket, what a fcuking joke. It's only €17.10 for a Waterford-Dublin return.

Long shot I know but if anyone knows of any other buses going down let me know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement