Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,936 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

my team

1 S O Keefe

2 N Connors (Marking Noel Mcgrath)
    3 L Lawlor (Marking John O Brien)
    4 S Daniels (Marking Lar Corbett)

5 P Mahony (Marking Brian O Meara)
    6 M Walsh (Marking Patrick Bonnor Maher)
    7 D Twomey (Marking Pa Bourke)

8 K Moran (Marking Shane Mcgrath)
    9 S Molumphy (Marking Brenden Maher)

10 M Shanahan (Marking Padraic Maher)
    11 S Prendergast (Marking Conor O Mahony)
    12 E Kelly (Marking Thomas Stapleton)

13 J Mullane (Marking Michael Cahill)
    14 S Walsh (Marking Paul Curren)
    15 Paul O Brien (Marking Conor O Brien)

I think lar Corbett will move into the Tipp Full Forward line and test out a new Waterford defender.

The Marking of the Bonnor Maher and the tipp half forward line are crucical.

I believe Waterford will have to have a plan b ready.

BTW tickets are on sale in Walsh Park i got 4 Uncovered Stand block G tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Any word on Darragh Fives lads?

Will gavin o brien start?

I think if we're to have any chance we have to limit Tips halfbackline influence, espeically P Maher.

Last year he supplied ball for alot of Lar's scores. He was marking Eoin mcgrath.
    Hopefully Maurice will start on that wing and cause him trouble.
    Cant wait until Sunday, anyone care to give their best team?

In all honesty, while Davy was in charge, it was all too easy for some teams to score against us with the stupid tatics he was using. 99 times out of 100 the oppostion always had a free man in their own half of the field who time and time again mopped up ball, and sent it into their forwards, putting our backs under pressure almost straight after sending the ball into the oppostion half of the field.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    my team

1 S O Keefe

I think lar Corbett will move into the Tipp Full Forward line and test out a new Waterford defender.

Could be close enough to the team with Twomey and Moran switching. Would hold PAul O'Brien hoping that he could be sent on maybe with 20 or 25 minutes to go and show us what he can do if we were a point or two down at that stage. (Hopefully we will be ahead). I'd start Gavin O'Brien ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

I rang Bus Eireann asking if they're doing buses to the game, they told me no. I then see an ad in the Waterford Today specifically aimed at people going to the Munster Final that they are doing "expressway" buses to Cork but it's just the regular Waterford-Cork bus and it's €27.50 for a return ticket, what a fcuking joke. It's only €17.10 for a Waterford-Dublin return.

Long shot I know but if anyone knows of any other buses going down let me know.

thats some joke alright, they are doing special price trains for Tipperary supporters.I think its €15 return from Limerick Junction and Thurles on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Yeboah wrote: »
    thats some joke alright, they are doing special price trains for Tipperary supporters.I think its €15 return from Limerick Junction and Thurles on Sunday
    You're talking about the company whose buses arrive to Waterford at the same time the train leaves, a 10 minute walk away?

• Advertisement

solarith wrote: »
    You're talking about the company whose buses arrive to Waterford at the same time the train leaves, a 10 minute walk away?

didnt know it was that bad down there..im lucky enough to live only a few miles from the Dublin Cork train line so barring theres something on the track the service has been tip top the last 7/8 years and they do good deals on matches

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rasputinscigar

Looking forward to the big match. John Mullane isn't afraid to stick his neck out in the media again after the Davy Fitz moment in the semi-final.
    This hurling viral he did for Three is making waves:

http://youtu.be/2QzMZ8zCpTM

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Looking forward to the big match. John Mullane isn't afraid to stick his neck out in the media again after the Davy Fitz moment in the semi-final.
    This hurling viral he did for Three is making waves:

http://youtu.be/2QzMZ8zCpTM

Have to say, one very cringey ad. I can only imagine the banter from the Tipp lads about it on Sunday, especially if they're ahead!

its a shame the days of the Pub busses going to the game are over. Id expect about 4-5000 waterford people to travel down.

Cost of tickets/petrol/Food, no interest/Believe, rather spend the money in Masons/Revs/Kazbar or somewhere and the stadium are factors in people from Waterford not going on sunday.

Cork city is very handy for people in the County but in fairness Hurling has gone downhill in the city for quite sometime now.

Anyway hopefully the weather holds up and the game is good. Cant wait to get stuck in traffic in Killeagh on the way too and back lol

its a shame the days of the Pub busses going to the game are over. Id expect about 4-5000 waterford people to travel down.

Cost of tickets/petrol/Food, no interest/Believe, rather spend the money in Masons/Revs/Kazbar or somewhere and the stadium are factors in people from Waterford not going on sunday.

Cork city is very handy for people in the County but in fairness Hurling has gone downhill in the city for quite sometime now.

Anyway hopefully the weather holds up and the game is good. Cant wait to get stuck in traffic in Killeagh on the way too and back lol

ive never noticed as many pub buses going to games to be honest..Its a ply to get the supporters back into the pub before (even if that means 8 in morning) and after the game and give the pubs a touch...I think the All Ireland last year was a tenor return and cases of beer on board..We needem them coming home

• Advertisement

Have to say, one very cringey ad. I can only imagine the banter from the Tipp lads about it on Sunday, especially if they're ahead!
    I like it, to be honest. It's mildly cringey - but so is Mullane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

in fairness Hurling has gone downhill in the city for quite sometime now.

City sides have won 18 senior hurling titles in the past 20 years, De La Salle have won two Munster Club Championship titles in 2008 & 2010. Mount Sion and Ballygunner are the only other clubs from the county to have won one.

Although Mount Sion are rebuilding after their great sides of the last ten years ago, there are still four senior teams from the city, and the county title will probaby reside there again in 2012. I wouldn't call any of the above a steady decline.

hardybuck wrote: »
    City sides have won 18 senior hurling titles in the past 20 years, De La Salle have won two Munster Club Championship titles in 2008 & 2010. Mount Sion and Ballygunner are the only other clubs from the county to have won one.

Although Mount Sion are rebuilding after their great sides of the last ten years ago, there are still four senior teams from the city, and the county title will probaby reside there again in 2012. I wouldn't call any of the above a steady decline.

The support in the city i meant

The support in the city i meant

Difficult to quantify that, but you might be right. A lot of the support in the city in years gone by would have been made up of people who were not GAA members or aligned to any club even. These people were largely Waterford fans rather than hurling fans. You've also got the huge unemployment issue in the city which seems to be a far deeper issue than elsewhere.

10 years ago I remember days of Q-ing outside Walsh Park with people getting tickets for big games - none of which were coming through the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

ah well said ,its like on your own committee you put something forward the click disagree ,so you battle on then you do the same time and time again and they disagree they want you on a committee because its handy for them ,makes them look democratic but they have their minds made up already ,ye get pissed off leave the committee and possibly the club unless you have a young lad or a young wan playing the game , its been known for a committee to vote on something and the club delegate turning up at the board meeting and voting the way the click wanted ,unreal

It'sa Clique (pronounce kleek), it took me reading that 4 times till I understood what you were saying

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

my team

1 S O Keefe

Very raw wing backs i think they'd be cleaned out by Tips half forwards.
    I know Twomey and Mahony are good hurlers but they lack experience at this level, wouldnt start twomey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

bogland... Was that an attempt at humour or something

Poster seems to confuse industrial inner city area with geographic features not found for 50km at elast outside of the city.

Other than poking fun at stereotypes (in a funless manner) I fail to see hsi point.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Very raw wing backs i think they'd be cleaned out by Tips half forwards.
    I know Twomey and Mahony are good hurlers but they lack experience at this level, wouldnt start twomey.

Yeah Twomey doesn't even play in that position, would be an absolute disaster throwing him in at wing back. Other than that I'd say that's not a bad side.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

wex_lad wrote: »
    Jesus you're some laugh aren't you? What seems to be the problem with a video that's nothing but a bit of fun? I suppose the fact that 3 are sponsors of Waterford has nothing to do with it? Or the fact that the head guy Finnegan is from Waterford? I really don't see why you have to be such a prick about it, care to enlighten me?

No need to call me a <snip>

Its just my opinion

I just think, the add is tacky as it adds to stereotypical image which certain portions of the media associate with GAA

GAA = Alcohol

I Understand the concept of using the player target practice using bottles

Brings to mind, wild west, gun shooting, accuracy, the skill of a hurler etc.

Interesting concept (if not original)

But why question is this:

Why use bottles of ALCOHOL?

Why not empty bottles of bottles of milk or soft drink?

Why? Because ALCOHOL in advertising is portrayed as being cool, being hip, it will make you more attractive, tougher, more fun etc.

Now, here is a question for you Wex_lad

If they used ALCOHOL in the add, why not get Mullane to tuck a pack of Rothmans cigarettes into his top packet?

No need to call me a prick, cyber warrior

Its just my opinion

I just think, the add is tacky as it adds to stereotypical image which certain portions of the media associate with GAA

GAA = Alcohol

I Understand the concept of using the player target practice using bottles

Brings to mind, wild west, gun shooting, accuracy, the skill of a hurler etc.

Interesting concept (if not original)

But why question is this:

Why use bottles of ALCOHOL?

Why not empty bottles of bottles of milk or soft drink?

Why? Because ALCOHOL in advertising is portrayed as being cool, being hip, it will make you more attractive, tougher, more fun etc.

Now, here is a question for you Wex_lad

If they used ALCOHOL in the add, why not get Mullane to tuck a pack of Rothmans cigarettes into his top packet?
    Oh Lord.

get-off-your-high-horse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Heard the U21's had a good win in a challenge game v Limerick up in Limerick on Monday evening (minus the U21's on the senior panel, presumably Limerick the same also). Apparently the result was good but the performance was excellent so good to hear that with the Clare match next Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

i wouldn't rule it out, i have faith in the team,

we might not win it this year. but we are getting closer.

Im not saying were not in with a shout lad, what I mean is weve had probably one of our greatest ever teams over the past decade or so with lads like Ken McGrath, Paul Flynn, Fergal Hartley, John Mullane, Tony Browne, Eoin Kelly, Eoin Murphy, Michael Brick Walsh ect. and if we couldnt win an All Ireland with all them lads on the one team I think its a bit late now when you say 'we should go all out to win an All Ireland for once and for all'. Our big chance has gone at this stage really, I think were nothing more than an outside bet now compared to back then we were one of the main contenders every year.
    Im not dishing the lads that are there at the moment in fact I think weve got some terrific young talent coming through (which has not really been credited by many outside this county - the way to have it) But I think our realistic aim is to remain a competitive force while were in transition, which we are, and not to end up like counties like Clare, Wexford and Offaly in recent years who have found themselves having to build from the bottom up once again. I think were on the right track in that respect and credit to Davy Fitz who kept the ship afloat very well, and who knows we might find ourselves back in an AI final quicker than we think

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

No need to call me a prick, cyber warrior

why not get Mullane to tuck a pack of Rothmans cigarettes into his top packet?

Cos Mull doesn't smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

my team

1 S O Keefe

Id say thats more or less the team spot on bar twomey, who i dont think has hardly ever played wing back so I dont know where you got that from. It will more than likely be Foley in that position again.

Agree completely about Bonnar Maher he is the guy to keep tabs on he wreaked havoc in the semi against Cork. Lar hasnt hurled all the year so cant afford to place too much emphasis on him with so many other good forwards about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

It'sa Clique (pronounce kleek), it took me reading that 4 times till I understood what you were saying
    same here

Ouch :(

WLR

Anyone got a link to the examiners report.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

So the Cadburys Creme Egg/Marietta Biscuits/Fitzgerald Menswear sponsored Munster Hurling Final is upon us again and what an occasion it should be down in that Eastern Bloc Communist 1980's style stadium they call Porky Kweef. The two heavyweights of Munster hurling - the Premier and the Deise - squaring off in a winner-takes-all-but-loser-plays-Galway-eventually-so-not-too-bad match at 4pm on Sunday. Here I will outline the reasons I think Waterford will definitely win on Sunday,or maybe Tipp.

1) Waterford are magic at frees. Michael Skully Ryan got Keith Barry in to help with the coaching for frees. Now,fellas can just 'magic' the ball over the bar with a lovely stroke and the power of the mind. Last time I checked no keeper stands on the crossbar so if we win frees,that's a score for us because a keeper can't stop a free unless he's like Dan Shanahan who is about 14 feet tall. So win frees and we win the game.

2) The Christmas tree formation
    Michael Skully Ryan is a huge fan of the Christmas tree formation and perfected it when he was coaching the Ballymacarbry ladies football team. It involves a 5-4-3-2-1 formation with Eoin Spanky McGrath the fella at the top because he's our biggest goal threat. It also involves Steebum O'Keeffe playing out the field a bit as an extra defender but that's not a problem because if it's one thing Tipp can't dó against us it's score goals. Every fella pumps the ball long into Spanky and every time he gets the ball,it'll be a goal. The Tipp full back,George Frend won't have a clue what hit him. Spanky spent many a Christmas sitting on top of the tree in the McGrath household as they hated fairies so he's the perfect man for the job.

3) Sideline cuts and frees
    Tipp are very good at sideline cuts and frees so if we don't give them any,we'll win the game easy. Waterford have worked hard on a tactic in training and they used it well against Davy the pixie and his team in the semi final.....just gently ask the fella you're marking for the ball. So,say Lar has the ball. Noel Connors wanders up to him as he's running and says gently 'Lar,give us that ould ball please.' and then Lar gives it to him and away we go down the field and pump it into Spanky. Easy out.

4)Tipp have Packie Bonner playing. He's very old and he's not a good hurler so we should definitely target him. They also have Ronnie Corbetts brother Larry playing and all he's good for is telling jokes,he's got veyy little else to offer. Tipp have never beaten Waterford in a Munster final that is an even number sothis one is bagged because it's 2012 last time I checked.

5)We've got some great players. Former De La Salle great and part time midget magician Paul Daniels young fella is playing,Stephen is his name. He'marvellous. The fella that owns the hotel in Dungarbum Liam Lawlor is taking the day off and he's brilliant too. All in all our fellas are better than their fellas by at least 34%.

6)Hitting the post. Tipp have an awful tendency to hit the post in big games so if they hit the post it could lead to a 16 point swing. So if Tipp hit the post,we'll win by 18,but if they score from that shot,we'll lose by 22.

I'd be very conident we'll win. I met Michael Ryan today in Peter Marks getting the hair done before the game. He says we'll win easily. He was saying John Mullane is improving all the time....he can form whole sentences now and everything. That's great. Eoin Kelly he said is on top of his game. He took 8,532 frees on Tuesday night. Have a guess how many he missed? Zero. None.

Meself and the wife are heading up early,might get mass in Killeagh on the way. We normally leave at 6:45am,irregardless of location. Dr.Hayes says a good long mass....3 hours,since his stroke. Up then and have the tae and away we go.

I hope to meet old friends at the game. Great Gaels like Vladimir Putin from Clonoulty/Rossmore,Kanye West from Thurles,Robert Lewandowski from the famed Nenagh Éire Óg club and that Nicky Minaj fella from Clonmel.

All in all,a close game but Waterford will definitely win by 18 points. Or maybe Tipp will.

Enjoy the game.Tomkelly99
    @thetomkelly99

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

we missed you tom

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

tomkelly99 wrote: »
    So the Cadburys Creme Egg/Marietta Biscuits/Fitzgerald Menswear sponsored Munster Hurling Final is upon us again and what an occasion it should be down in that Eastern Bloc Communist 1980's style stadium they call Porky Kweef. The two heavyweights of Munster hurling - the Premier and the Deise - squaring off in a winner-takes-all-but-loser-plays-Galway-eventually-so-not-too-bad match at 4pm on Sunday. Here I will outline the reasons I think Waterford will definitely win on Sunday,or maybe Tipp.

1) Waterford are magic at frees. Michael Skully Ryan got Keith Barry in to help with the coaching for frees. Now,fellas can just 'magic' the ball over the bar with a lovely stroke and the power of the mind. Last time I checked no keeper stands on the crossbar so if we win frees,that's a score for us because a keeper can't stop a free unless he's like Dan Shanahan who is about 14 feet tall. So win frees and we win the game.

2) The Christmas tree formation
    Michael Skully Ryan is a huge fan of the Christmas tree formation and perfected it when he was coaching the Ballymacarbry ladies football team. It involves a 5-4-3-2-1 formation with Eoin Spanky McGrath the fella at the top because he's our biggest goal threat. It also involves Steebum O'Keeffe playing out the field a bit as an extra defender but that's not a problem because if it's one thing Tipp can't dó against us it's score goals. Every fella pumps the ball long into Spanky and every time he gets the ball,it'll be a goal. The Tipp full back,George Frend won't have a clue what hit him. Spanky spent many a Christmas sitting on top of the tree in the McGrath household as they hated fairies so he's the perfect man for the job.

3) Sideline cuts and frees
    Tipp are very good at sideline cuts and frees so if we don't give them any,we'll win the game easy. Waterford have worked hard on a tactic in training and they used it well against Davy the pixie and his team in the semi final.....just gently ask the fella you're marking for the ball. So,say Lar has the ball. Noel Connors wanders up to him as he's running and says gently 'Lar,give us that ould ball please.' and then Lar gives it to him and away we go down the field and pump it into Spanky. Easy out.

4)Tipp have Packie Bonner playing. He's very old and he's not a good hurler so we should definitely target him. They also have Ronnie Corbetts brother Larry playing and all he's good for is telling jokes,he's got veyy little else to offer. Tipp have never beaten Waterford in a Munster final that is an even number sothis one is bagged because it's 2012 last time I checked.

5)We've got some great players. Former De La Salle great and part time midget magician Paul Daniels young fella is playing,Stephen is his name. He'marvellous. The fella that owns the hotel in Dungarbum Liam Lawlor is taking the day off and he's brilliant too. All in all our fellas are better than their fellas by at least 34%.

6)Hitting the post. Tipp have an awful tendency to hit the post in big games so if they hit the post it could lead to a 16 point swing. So if Tipp hit the post,we'll win by 18,but if they score from that shot,we'll lose by 22.

I'd be very conident we'll win. I met Michael Ryan today in Peter Marks getting the hair done before the game. He says we'll win easily. He was saying John Mullane is improving all the time....he can form whole sentences now and everything. That's great. Eoin Kelly he said is on top of his game. He took 8,532 frees on Tuesday night. Have a guess how many he missed? Zero. None.

Meself and the wife are heading up early,might get mass in Killeagh on the way. We normally leave at 6:45am,irregardless of location. Dr.Hayes says a good long mass....3 hours,since his stroke. Up then and have the tae and away we go.

I hope to meet old friends at the game. Great Gaels like Vladimir Putin from Clonoulty/Rossmore,Kanye West from Thurles,Robert Lewandowski from the famed Nenagh Éire Óg club and that Nicky Minaj fella from Clonmel.

All in all,a close game but Waterford will definitely win by 18 points. Or maybe Tipp will.

Enjoy the game.Tomkelly99
    @thetomkelly99
    dont give up the job ,if you have one that is ,not your best utter tripe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

dont give up the job ,if you have one that is ,not your best utter tripe

It's a bit if light hearted fun for God sakes.

This coming from a man who said not so long ago: "HE MIGHT BE A TOERAG, BUT HE'S OUR OUR TOERAG" about John Mullane. Stopped reading your posts after that. Easily the most cringeworthy post I've ever read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement