Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

daddydick wrote: »
    It's a bit if light hearted fun for God sakes.

This coming from a man who said not so long ago: "HE MIGHT BE A TOERAG, BUT HE'S OUR OUR TOERAG" about John Mullane. Stopped reading your posts after that. Easily the most cringeworthy post I've ever read.
    that was a quote from the terracing ,and as much as you would like to think that you stopped reading my posts ,you just cant help yourself can you ?,daddydick more like weenerboy, chill out ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

hurler on de ditch, you have some chip on your shoulder boy, don't think you ever post anything here that isn't having a go at another user or a rant against players/management/board/everyone really....think your vitriol would be better suited over on anfearrua.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

dont give up the job ,if you have one that is ,not your best utter tripe
    You spelled 'the' wrong in your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

I personally had a good laugh while I was reading it.

I found it hilarious tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I personally had a good laugh while I was reading it.

I found it hilarious tbh..

All ''normal'' people did deise it is a classic, one in a long line of them I might add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

When is the team named?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

No need to call me a <snip>

Its just my opinion

I just think, the add is tacky as it adds to stereotypical image which certain portions of the media associate with GAA

GAA = Alcohol

I Understand the concept of using the player target practice using bottles

Brings to mind, wild west, gun shooting, accuracy, the skill of a hurler etc.

Interesting concept (if not original)

But why question is this:

Why use bottles of ALCOHOL?

Why not empty bottles of bottles of milk or soft drink?

Why? Because ALCOHOL in advertising is portrayed as being cool, being hip, it will make you more attractive, tougher, more fun etc.

Now, here is a question for you Wex_lad

If they used ALCOHOL in the add, why not get Mullane to tuck a pack of Rothmans cigarettes into his top packet?
    Your totally overanalyzing it

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Jasus Tom Kelly Pat Short gets paid good money for material that is not as funny as this. More please to cheer us all up in this gloomy weather. This should be posted up on the dressing room wall it would inspire the team to have a good laugh.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Jasus Tom Kelly Pat Short gets paid good money for material that is not as funny as this. More please to cheer us all up in this gloomy weather. This should be posted up on the dressing room wall it would inspire the team to have a good laugh.

Imagine the team walking into the dressing room on Sunday and this stuff plastered over the wall.. Would love to see a reaction there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

You don't use capital letters and your grammar is all over the place and yet you are saying his posts aren't up to scratch! :eek: I've seen it all now!

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    You don't use capital letters and your grammar is all over the place and yet you are saying his posts aren't up to scratch! :eek: I've seen it all now!
    I do love his/her use of a comma ,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

solarith wrote: »
    Imagine the team walking into the dressing room on Sunday and this stuff plastered over the wall.. Would love to see a reaction there haha
    Especially after they won.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The most crucial area for us to get right this weekend is the half forward line again. I think the rest of the team is relatively settled in comparison to last year. Lawlor has settled into full back, Brick back to himself at centre back. Daniels will be up against it again this weekend should he start at corner back, I wouldn't be surprised if Tipp moved Corbett in on him.

The half forward line however, is easily our weakest line, and an area where Tipp generally dominate. Seamus Prendergast had a great day out against Clare, but he is not a top class centre forward. Kelly and Shanahan if picked are poor enough in terms of workrate and winning their own possession.

Should be be aiming to pull the half forward line back towards midfield and try and pack midfield? Bring Mullane into a roving role around the 40 and try and get him on the ball running at the Tipp backs, hoping he will draw fouls?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

hardybuck wrote: »
    The most crucial area for us to get right this weekend is the half forward line again. I think the rest of the team is relatively settled in comparison to last year. Lawlor has settled into full back, Brick back to himself at centre back. Daniels will be up against it again this weekend should he start at corner back, I wouldn't be surprised if Tipp moved Corbett in on him.

The half forward line however, is easily our weakest line, and an area where Tipp generally dominate. Seamus Prendergast had a great day out against Clare, but he is not a top class centre forward. Kelly and Shanahan if picked are poor enough in terms of workrate and winning their own possession.

Should be be aiming to pull the half forward line back towards midfield and try and pack midfield? Bring Mullane into a roving role around the 40 and try and get him on the ball running at the Tipp backs, hoping he will draw fouls?

Think this is pretty much it. If we can gain parity in this line we will win.
    Seamy pender to get man of the match and gavin o brien to score 1-3!

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Think this is pretty much it. If we can gain parity in this line we will win.
    Seamy pender to get man of the match and gavin o brien to score 1-3!

If you gain parity there you win?? Are you saying in your opinion that Waterford are stronger in all other lines so?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭banger01

[HTML] It's only €17.10 for a Waterford-Dublin return.
    [/HTML]
    Go to Dublin so!:D

If you gain parity there you win?? Are you saying in your opinion that Waterford are stronger in all other lines so?

Well we probably can't win without gaining parity here.

Well we probably can't win without gaining parity here.

Agreed, but thats a completely different statement :D

Parity here might not be as difficult as some are portraying either, quite frankly Paraic Mahers form so far has been very ordinary, Tom Stapelton in unproven and lacks genuine pace, COM is playing very well and is extremely solid, but as has been said Prendergast is probably the most solid of the W'ford line, so it will be interesting I think.

Agreed, but thats a completely different statement :D

Parity here might not be as difficult as some are portraying either, quite frankly Paraic Mahers form so far has been very ordinary, Tom Stapelton in unproven and lacks genuine pace, COM is playing very well and is extremely solid, but as has been said Prendergast is probably the most solid of the W'ford line, so it will be interesting I think.

Well I think COM and Prendergast should have a good battle. Could see that being a 50:50 duel.

I would expect Maher to dominate Shanahan. We need to keep ball away from him unless it is well placed ball straight into his paw. I'd expect Maher to win 30:70 balls off him.

Stapleton is a handy player I think. Didn't he do a very good job on Mullane last year? Regardless, he should be far too athletic for Kelly. The only think I expect Kelly to bring to the table now is his ability to be the joker in the pack, and maybe conjure a goal or two out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Is Tony Browne fully fit. I thought last year he was one of 3 players to have done well against Tipp in that mauling. The other two being moran and pauric mahony who scored 13 points.
    If the half forward line pushed out there is no guarantee the tipp half backs follow them out. Normally the half back should hold its line. Kilkenny paid the price last week which is unusual for their standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

[QUOTE Seamy pender to get man of the match and gavin o brien to score 1-3![/Quote]

I really hope your right.

alllcounty wrote: »
    Is Tony Browne fully fit. I thought last year he was one of 3 players to have done well against Tipp in that mauling. The other two being moran and pauric mahony who scored 13 points.
    If the half forward line pushed out there is no guarantee the tipp half backs follow them out. Normally the half back should hold its line. Kilkenny paid the price last week which is unusual for their standards.

I wouldn't blame the Kilkenny midfield too much. Galway had full forward line players in there rotating as well and they seemed to regularly get on the ball rather than just making up the numbers.

I think Kilkenny's inexperienced midfield were cleaned out, as well as Galway out-muscling them and playing with far more intensity. Dublin were successful at matching KK physically before, but they didn't have the class that Galway had in the forwards to punish them.

Well I think COM and Prendergast should have a good battle. Could see that being a 50:50 duel.

I would expect Maher to dominate Shanahan. We need to keep ball away from him unless it is well placed ball straight into his paw. I'd expect Maher to win 30:70 balls off him.

Stapleton is a handy player I think. Didn't he do a very good job on Mullane last year? Regardless, he should be far too athletic for Kelly. The only think I expect Kelly to bring to the table now is his ability to be the joker in the pack, and maybe conjure a goal or two out of nowhere.

No you are mixing Paddy Stapelton with Tom Stapelton, Paddy is a corner back who has been excellent for the last few years but has had an injury plaqued year, Tom is a big strong wing back who likes to come forward but this is he's first year starting and I personally think he lacks abit of mobility.

alllcounty wrote: »

I dont think Tony would be able to match any ot the starting Tipp HF line for 70 mins, Lar and Pa would absolutley burn him for pace and Bonner would well do a bonner on him, and persoanlly I'd hate to see alegend like Browne been shown up, which I think with the pace of the Tipp forwards he would.

Having said that wouldnt he be a great man to bring on with 20 mins to go to either close out a game or to give a lift to a team in a close match, he's hurling brain, calmness and experience would be invaluable in that scenario.

No you are mixing Paddy Stapelton with Tom Stapelton, Paddy is a corner back who has been excellent for the last few years but has had an injury plaqued year, Tom is a big strong wing back who likes to come forward but this is he's first year starting and I personally think he lacks abit of mobility.

Ah right. Well if Kelly is on him, his lack of mobility won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

No need to call me a <snip>

Its just my opinion

I just think, the add is tacky as it adds to stereotypical image which certain portions of the media associate with GAA

GAA = Alcohol

I Understand the concept of using the player target practice using bottles

Brings to mind, wild west, gun shooting, accuracy, the skill of a hurler etc.

Interesting concept (if not original)

But why question is this:

Why use bottles of ALCOHOL?

Why not empty bottles of bottles of milk or soft drink?

Why? Because ALCOHOL in advertising is portrayed as being cool, being hip, it will make you more attractive, tougher, more fun etc.

Now, here is a question for you Wex_lad

If they used ALCOHOL in the add, why not get Mullane to tuck a pack of Rothmans cigarettes into his top packet?

Did it ever occur to you large bottles are something that is associated with Waterford?

You could also argue the symbolism is of Mullane defeating alcohol or knocking it out of the way to achieve things.

hurler on de ditch, you have some chip on your shoulder boy, don't think you ever post anything here that isn't having a go at another user or a rant against players/management/board/everyone really....think your vitriol would be better suited over on anfearrua.
    look i say it as i see it ,it was the same when i said tony browne should not be in the team,then he is dropped and suddenly there is no mention of him ,we cant all have the same rose tinted outlook on the hurling team as most of ye ,as i said before i dont do chips,its like one post here that said i thought tony browne did well ,we got bet by 21 points ,and then mahony did well with his 13 points 12 of them from frees and the game over after 5 minutes some pressure on the free taker then ,

I dont think Tony would be able to match any ot the starting Tipp HF line for 70 mins, Lar and Pa would absolutley burn him for pace and Bonner would well do a bonner on him, and persoanlly I'd hate to see alegend like Browne been shown up, which I think with the pace of the Tipp forwards he would.

Having said that wouldnt he be a great man to bring on with 20 mins to go to either close out a game or to give a lift to a team in a close match, he's hurling brain, calmness and experience would be invaluable in that scenario.
    i agree with your assessment of where Tony Browne is at now ,BUT i think if you see Tony coming in id say we will be in big trouble probably on a hiding and its the last throw of the dice ,obviously if there going at training as hard as they should be and there is a wicked hunger for places ,to me that means tony is not able for our own forwards let alone tipps

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

I have a feeling theres goong to be a surprise in the team. We'l wait til it's named officially. Shouldn't be long now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Named on twitter. Tony Browne in. Paudie Mahoney in. Foley and Kelly out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement