Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

akamossie wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If you ever watched the HTC One X advert on TV for the skydiving and while taking the video he was able to take a photo the same time, thats in the mod and ported to the S3.

i find it handy and pretty impressive to show off to your iphone friends heheh :)
    It can take pics while recording anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Davie89 wrote: »
    Update available ota on emobile this morning

Don't be too excited about updates.

A security update in Sprint in America removes the Search Anywhere feature.
    http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog/2012/07/sprint-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-security-update-removes-search-functions/

Because apparently Apple have patented everything.

I don't know if they have to do it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

kenyard wrote: »
    its software that can help with music and pictures.. im pretty sure 90% of people use drag and drop though.

I used kies to update and it did so flawlessly in around 20-30 minutes or so. brightness toggle is handy..jhafnt noticed anything else so far changed, but im sure stuff has been

I take it this update is not available OTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Chet T16 wrote: »
    It can take pics while recording anyway

YES :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

statto25 wrote: »
    its software that can help with music and pictures.. im pretty sure 90% of people use drag and drop though.

I used kies to update and it did so flawlessly in around 20-30 minutes or so. brightness toggle is handy..jhafnt noticed anything else so far changed, but im sure stuff has been

I take it this update is not available OTA?
    It is..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mollser

Emobile are great for updates - the Nokia N8 updates came very quickly with them, they didn't add any bloatware to the phone.

Still waiting on o2 for the update - its normal to be waiting ages with them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Omega 8.1 is released

Also
    Torture-testing the Samsung Galaxy S3

How did the S3 survive some of these tests is beyond me

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-33814_53-57468819-10391737.html

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

I tried just there and its telling me there is no update available!! on Emobile

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

stop complaining and download kies so as has been suggested 4-5 times already. or just wait another few weeks and be quiet

latest version will have brightness thing in notifications pulldown.
    also was the muting thing there always a toggle between silent/vibrate/sound?
    never realised it went to silent as well as vibrate mode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Massive thread to wade through so hopefully someone can just answer this?

Three are selling the GS3 for €559 prepaid and that seems to be the cheapest you can get it here in Ireland so is this confirmed as SIM locked to Three and does it have a bloatware Three firmware loaded on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

reni10 wrote: »
    Massive thread to wade through so hopefully someone can just answer this?

Three are selling the SG3 for €559 prepaid and that seems to be the cheapest you can get it here in Ireland so is this confirmed as SIM locked to Three and does it have a bloatware Three firmware loaded on it?

Very likely to be locked and you can be sure three will have their name all over it. But unlocking is a 30 sec job and debranding is fairly easy to do afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

id be fairly certain it is..
    there has been a mix of people saying mobiles from three are locked and others saying they are unlocked.. i think the first batch of phones that came through were all unlocked.

i also asked in the store about prepay >1month ago now, and there was none available on prepay due to demand on billpay which companies prefer to sell. thats every network was that case btw.
    they have the prices up, just the phone wasnt available!

hence i ended up getting it on o2 on contract 6 months which works out at the same price over 6 months as buying it prepay and getting my txts/calls and gb data with that. and didnt have to front the 600 euro straight up so that worked out better...

afaik o2 are the only company doing <18 month contract on the phone though :S
    will be switching immediqately after. though their service is decent, costs arent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Ok found it unlocked here for €549:
    http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=19352

Is there anywhere cheaper and is this crowd reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

stop complaining and download kies so as has been suggested 4-5 times already. or just wait another few weeks and be quiet

latest version will have brightness thing in notifications pulldown.
    also was the muting thing there always a toggle between silent/vibrate/sound?
    never realised it went to silent as well as vibrate mode

Your very charming Kenyard..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

A friend of mine got the S3 from Three. I got it with eMobile. He's had problems trying to play GTAIII on it, it keeps crashing on him. It works fine with me, never crashes. He's also found the home screen takes a couple of seconds to load sometimes.

Could this be down to Three bloatware on the device?

I haven't got a hands-on look through his yet, may try replacing the firmware with an unbranded version later this evening if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Any guides to rooting this ? cant seem to get mine rooted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

threein99 wrote: »
    Any guides to rooting this ? cant seem to get mine rooted

what exactly have you tried?

its pretty easy, google gives a ton of results

http://www.pressbyte.com/11062/root-galaxy-iii-sgs3/

Cyrus wrote: »
    what exactly have you tried?

its pretty easy, google gives a ton of results

http://www.pressbyte.com/11062/root-galaxy-iii-sgs3/

Downloaded Odin v3.04 and tried to push the CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar file using Odin, its keeps failing thought. I've tried to follow guides on you tube but they seem to be using an earlier version of Odin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Downloaded Odin v3.04 and tried to push the CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar file using Odin, its keeps failing thought. I've tried to follow guides on you tube but they seem to be using an earlier version of Odin

is the phone in download mode and usb debugging on?

Cyrus wrote: »
    is the phone in download mode and usb debugging on?

Yea its in download mode not sure about usb debugging mode. Does it matter which version of odin I use ? theres seems to be a different version for when the phone was released first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Yea its in download mode not sure about usb debugging mode. Does it matter which version of odin I use ? theres seems to be a different version for when the phone was released first

Version of Odin should not matter (Both 1.85 and 3.04 work for me)
    As Cyrus said - make sure USB debugging is on

rockal wrote: »
    Version of Odin should not matter (Both 1.85 and 3.04 work for me)
    As Cyrus said - make sure USB debugging is on

How do I check if its on ?

How do I check if its on ?

found it

It was the USB debugging stopping it from rooting, got it done now. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Did the firmware upgrade this morning with Kies. Nothing major as said previously bar the Brightness option in the Notification pulldown.
    One thing I did notice was my battery didn't drop to 99% as soon as I unplugged it from the charger. An hour later and its still on 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

id be fairly certain it is..
    there has been a mix of people saying mobiles from three are locked and others saying they are unlocked.. i think the first batch of phones that came through were all unlocked.

i also asked in the store about prepay >1month ago now, and there was none available on prepay due to demand on billpay which companies prefer to sell. thats every network was that case btw.
    they have the prices up, just the phone wasnt available!

hence i ended up getting it on o2 on contract 6 months which works out at the same price over 6 months as buying it prepay and getting my txts/calls and gb data with that. and didnt have to front the 600 euro straight up so that worked out better...

afaik o2 are the only company doing <18 month contract on the phone though :S
    will be switching immediqately after. though their service is decent, costs arent

Hey dude, I'm looking to do something similar. The only 6 month low cost plan I could find on the O2 site was the "My Choice 500" (250 minutes 250 texts + 350mb Data) at €40 a month + €359 for the phone = 599.

How did you get the 1GB data?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Is there no stock sms widget on the Galaxy S3? Seems like a glaring omission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Cant say id agree a glaring omission would be forgetting a camera app etc... in what 4 years with smart phones ive never felt the need / seen or heard of an sms widget...

If its that important why dont you just download one. Thats the joy of android

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It depends on how you like your smart phone set up. I like to have my homescreen with clock and weather widget with a search bar and news widget and then flick right for a fullscreen widget with emails or left for a full screen widget with sms. It's very, very common to be honest and seems to be how a lot of people have it set up. The widget is also available on almost every other android phone, including the galaxy s2 so I'm just a bit surprised that it's not here, especially as there's two email widgets that do full screen. I tried go and handcent but neither gave me the full screen widget I'm looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

My point is its hardly glaring... its minor, super minor, so minor that nobody until now in any article or forum i read has mentioned or asked about it.

Advertisement