Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I read that Samsung released a new firmware yesterday, but when I check the software update service on the phone it says there's nothing new available.

Does the network (3) I'm on make a difference in terms of rollout?

I think some people got about 3 updates OTA but for me at least Ive never got any from Sammy or Three.

Also in this last updates case I didn't see Ireland on the release list, only UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi CM,

I'm currently downloading that firmware update, thanks for the link.

Is there anything I need to do to the phone in the meantime (it'll take about an hour to download)? I've backed up the content to Kies.

I'm new to android, but I've jailbroken an iphone before, so I'm somewhat familiar with what I may have to do to get the new firmware on there. Do you have any links to a step by step guide?

I presume I'll need to root the phone. When I do that, is it easy to get rid of the three branding and the bloatware?

Thanks a million, that seems very straightforward. Good to see it can be done without rooting, I'm not super confident that I really want to mess with it that much.

Only snag now is that I'm using a Mac, so I'll have to try and track down Odin for Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Does flashing as per above have any warranty implications, even without rooting?

I am sorely tempted to jump back to Android after 2 years of iOS but don't want to put up with all of the carrier branding crap they insist on putting on or waiting for their approval on updates (and equally don't want to be forgoing on the warranty if I flash it with stock) :(

Are you on Three mobile CM?

If so does your phone still auto jump back to 3G after it's roamed off?

I'm all for jumping the firmware ship but the last few times have stung me bad with the phone never going back to a 3G cell after it's jumped off it.
    Means have to jump into settings EVERY time I wanted to use the data network.... This GS3 is very good at holding on and I dont want to mess that up!

Wonder if anyone on three loaded up the new firmware yet?

Kensington wrote: »
    Does flashing as per above have any warranty implications, even without rooting?

I am sorely tempted to jump back to Android after 2 years of iOS but don't want to put up with all of the carrier branding crap they insist on putting on or waiting for their approval on updates (and equally don't want to be forgoing on the warranty if I flash it with stock) :(

If you needed to send the phone back, in some cases at least you would be able to just re load carrier firmware back onto the phone before doing so.
    I have read posts in the past of people sending phones back with non carrier firmware and they still get fixed.

I found a version of Odin that works on the Mac (it somehow fools the Mac into thinking it's a PC just to run the .exe file).

I followed the instructions as per CMs link above, but the step that is hanging me is when I plug the phone into the Mac, Odin doesn't show up and Com ID, so when I click on start, nothing happens. Bit of a pisser, cos it looks like a really easy way to get the new firmware. I guess I'll have to find a PC somewhere....

GT raises a good question though....does the new UK firmware have an effect on the way Three deals with data? I'm on Three, and I wouldn't put the new firmware on there if I thought it would stop the back and forward roaming, because where I live is borderline for Three reception and it flicks in and out of Vodafone roaming almost on an ongoing basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

For those that are rooted mobile odin is worth a buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I found a version of Odin that works on the Mac (it somehow fools the Mac into thinking it's a PC just to run the .exe file).

I followed the instructions as per CMs link above, but the step that is hanging me is when I plug the phone into the Mac, Odin doesn't show up and Com ID, so when I click on start, nothing happens. Bit of a pisser, cos it looks like a really easy way to get the new firmware. I guess I'll have to find a PC somewhere....

GT raises a good question though....does the new UK firmware have an effect on the way Three deals with data? I'm on Three, and I wouldn't put the new firmware on there if I thought it would stop the back and forward roaming, because where I live is borderline for Three reception and it flicks in and out of Vodafone roaming almost on an ongoing basis.

You need Samsung drivers, on a PC you do this by installing Kies first. Easiest thing is to get a PC, but you can use Heimdall on a Mac

Zagato wrote: »

You need Samsung drivers, on a PC you do this by installing Kies first. Easiest thing is to get a PC, but you can use Heimdall on a Mac

Hi

I've installed kies on the mac, and it has connected to the phone to transfer media. I've also installed an android file transfer app and it will connect with the S3 when it's in camera transfer mode.

So I'm not sure what else I can do in terms of drivers, as it is connecting for other programmes, just not for odin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Hi

I've installed kies on the mac, and it has connected to the phone to transfer media. I've also installed an android file transfer app and it will connect with the S3 when it's in camera transfer mode.

So I'm not sure what else I can do in terms of drivers, as it is connecting for other programmes, just not for odin

Yeah, that was my point, I don't think you will get it to work on a Mac.
    The simplest thing to do is to borrow a PC as Odin works very well.

Have to run, so haven't checked this out, but have you looked at this thread
    Once it puts clockworkmod onto your device you should be good to go.

god's toy wrote: »
    Are you on Three mobile CM?

If so does your phone still auto jump back to 3G after it's roamed off?

I'm all for jumping the firmware ship but the last few times have stung me bad with the phone never going back to a 3G cell after it's jumped off it.
    Means have to jump into settings EVERY time I wanted to use the data network.... This GS3 is very good at holding on and I dont want to mess that up!

Wonder if anyone on three loaded up the new firmware yet?

Hi,

I just updated the firmware as per CMs link, and I'm on the Three network.

I can confirm that it DOES automatically switch back and forth on data roaming, it behaves exactly like the original firmware that was on it when I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I got an update OTA on Saturday morning (second OTA update) wonder was that it? Could someone post build number so i can compare?

mines now on:

IMM76D.I9300XXBLFB

Network is Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Yup thats there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Having an issue with the bluetooth auto connecting to the car.

Once set up it works fine but when i leave the car and go back it wont auto connect again, try manually and still wont connect. I have to unpair and delete the profile and go through the initial setup again.

Three network btw.

Known issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

oleras wrote: »
    Having an issue with the bluetooth auto connecting to the car.

Once set up it works fine but when i leave the car and go back it wont auto connect again, try manually and still wont connect. I have to unpair and delete the profile and go through the initial setup again.

Three network btw.

Known issue ?

I had exactly the same issue, at the end i changed the ROM and now seems fine, so could be Samsung ROM but someone else can confirm maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've just been told my phone is on private number but can't for the life of me find where you change it. Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

go to phone -> Call settings -> Additional Settings -> Caller ID and change it from there :)

I was in the same boat, took me forever to figure this one out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Anyone know how to delete single contacts, when I started up my phone at first I synched it to my facebook account and the phone imported all the contacts, this is fine but there are a good few contacts on my phone that I want to delete but I can't seem to do it, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone know how to delete single contacts, when I started up my phone at first I synched it to my facebook account and the phone imported all the contacts, this is fine but there are a good few contacts on my phone that I want to delete but I can't seem to do it, any ideas?

Push and hold the contact you want to delete and it should give you the option to delete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

How do you get the update?

I went to settings-about phone-about device-software update and it says there's no update?

I haven't updated it since I got it, and don't have any brightness option in my notification drop down menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

I went to settings-about phone-about device-software update and it says there's no update?

I haven't updated it since I got it, and don't have any brightness option in my notification drop down menu

Yeah i bought the phone sim free from amazon germany and theres still no update showing for me. There was an update on saturday but it wasnt the firmware with brightness in pull down menu. Any ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Have you tried it using Kies ? mine wouldnt update using the phones software update, but it did when I plugged it into Kies. Im on Meteor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Has anyone noticed that the Meteor/eMobile Voice codec is absolutely VILE :(

I fannied around with an S3 while its owner was abroad this weekend. The sound quality on Meteor/eMobile was cack while the phone was much much clearer with O2. Nothing to do with signal quality either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The battery life on the phone is amazing when used correctly. Here is my success story.

I have the sbeam and wifi-direct stuff all turned off. I have the app juice defender installed and on at all times, it detects if your using data or wifi and toggles off the device your not using. Well I think it does, its possible to turn both on with the app on so if I'm out of 3g range, which is often when your with 3, if I go to wirless manually I turn off data but usually I'm just quickly reading my messages on whatsapp and going straight back to data, 2g usually.

I find when charging the phone its best to leave the device charging for a further hour after it reaches 100%. This works for the ipad also.

So last Sunday during the European championship I was charging the S3. I unplugged the phone after the charge and had it on the cocuch beside me for the 2nd half of the game, so it was around 9:30pm. During the week I made a couple of calls, about 3-4, took a few calls, about 5. I sent about 10-15 texts and used the whatsapp app almost everyday to send a few messages, 19 exactly. I browsed the web about 3 times but for very short periods, less than 30 seconds. I downloaded one app and installed about 7 play store updates. So it was very light economical use and each time I finished I put the phone to sleep straight away. I hold the home key to bring up the task manager about once a day and close any active apps, usually its messaging thats still open. I use the clear ram function occasionally, twice a weeks tops, I usually get a 20+ applications closed message and finally the free app Appkiller shows that viber or whats app are still running when they don't show in task manager.

The battery finally ran out the following Saturday about 10pm. Thats 6 days later with the phone on night and day. Amazing I thought. I am going to see what else I can do to improve the battery life and go fo the full 7 day cycle next time :D

I was on 2g roaming the vodafone network as the 3 coverage is poor in my area so this must have helped but still a pretty big plus for this phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The battery life on the phone is amazing when used correctly. Here is my success story.

I have the sbeam and wifi-direct stuff all turned off. I have the app juice defender installed and on at all times, it detects if your using data or wifi and toggles off the device your not using. Well I think it does, its possible to turn both on with the app on so if I'm out of 3g range, which is often when your with 3, if I go to wirless manually I turn off data but usually I'm just quickly reading my messages on whatsapp and going straight back to data, 2g usually.

I find when charging the phone its best to leave the device charging for a further hour after it reaches 100%. This works for the ipad also.

So last Sunday during the European championship I was charging the S3. I unplugged the phone after the charge and had it on the cocuch beside me for the 2nd half of the game, so it was around 9:30pm. During the week I made a couple of calls, about 3-4, took a few calls, about 5. I sent about 10-15 texts and used the whatsapp app almost everyday to send a few messages, 19 exactly. I browsed the web about 3 times but for very short periods, less than 30 seconds. I downloaded one app and installed about 7 play store updates. So it was very light economical use and each time I finished I put the phone to sleep straight away. I hold the home key to bring up the task manager about once a day and close any active apps, usually its messaging thats still open. I use the clear ram function occasionally, twice a weeks tops, I usually get a 20+ applications closed message and finally the free app Appkiller shows that viber or whats app are still running when they don't show in task manager.

The battery finally ran out the following Saturday about 10pm. Thats 6 days later with the phone on night and day. Amazing I thought. I am going to see what else I can do to improve the battery life and go fo the full 7 day cycle next time :D

I was on 2g roaming the vodafone network as the 3 coverage is poor in my area so this must have helped but still a pretty big plus for this phone.

thats impressive, to be fair you arent really utilising it as a smart phone though

Advertisement