Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

How do you get the update?

I went to settings-about phone-about device-software update and it says there's no update?

I haven't updated it since I got it, and don't have any brightness option in my notification drop down menu

Are you on Three by chance?

I'm with three and Ive not got anything from the day I got it, Wife is the very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

god's toy wrote: »
    How do you get the update?

I went to settings-about phone-about device-software update and it says there's no update?

I haven't updated it since I got it, and don't have any brightness option in my notification drop down menu

I'm with three and Ive not got anything from the day I got it, Wife is the very same.

I'm on Three also, and there was no sign of an update either OTA or through Kies. So i updated it earlier today using the link that Captain Morgan mentioned above.

Very simple and quick once all the bits have downloaded. Now using the latest firmware, with no Three branding and no issues. All good .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Do you have to be routed firsrt before flashing with Odin? Also which firmware did you go for. I have a Vodafone branded (but unlocked) s3 and would love to just get a clean operator free rom.
    I'm on Three also, and there was no sign of an update either OTA or through Kies. So i updated it earlier today using the link that Captain Morgan mentioned above.

Very simple and quick once all the bits have downloaded. Now using the latest firmware, with no Three branding and no issues. All good .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

just bare in mind, doing this will void your warranty

• Advertisement

akamossie wrote: »
    just bare in mind, doing this will void your warranty

Will it?

It's not a root, it's just a samsung update. Can't see how that could void the warranty. It's not the same as rooting and flashing a third party OS onto it.

technically you are flashing a ROM but its the original ROM, Odin is not a samsung software, the only "legal" way to update your OS is via Kies or via phone when your network provider approve and added their bloatware.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

great phone, really enjoying mine.........

quick question, how do I change the PIN NO when I turn on the phone, to a new PIN NO.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

MidlandsM wrote: »
    quick question, how do I change the PIN NO when I turn on the phone, to a new PIN NO.

Goto Settings,
    Goto Security,
    Goto Set up SIM card lock,
    Select Change SIM PIN,

MidlandsM wrote: »
    great phone, really enjoying mine.........

Thanks

Settings -> Security -> Screen Lock

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Done! Juslikedat.... ...........:) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Folks. I have the chance to get an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and I was just wondering if my 3 sim will work in it or is there some settings I have to update before it will work?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks

it will work with no issues, remember its a micro sim card now, so either order new sim and transfer number or go to CPW and they can cut it for you :)

I agree, personally i have it rooted with CheckRom HD installed. I was just making sure the other guys are aware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Whats the story with Checkrom, any good?, im using Omega series, with the modified Camera app that lets you take pictures and videos, using the volume up and down buttons, this is much handier as i was at Phoenix Park the other day and fiddling with the touch screen to take a picture in a moving crowd would have been pretty difficult.

Omega seems to have gotten rid of a lot of Samsung *Crap* apps that eat battery, so far i'm impressed i get a t least a day and a bit out of it with moderate usage.

platinums wrote: »
    Whats the story with Checkrom, any good?, im using Omega series, with the modified Camera app that lets you take pictures and videos, using the volume up and down buttons, this is much handier as i was at Phoenix Park the other day and fiddling with the touch screen to take a picture in a moving crowd would have been pretty difficult.

Omega seems to have gotten rid of a lot of Samsung *Crap* apps that eat battery, so far i'm impressed i get a t least a day and a bit out of it with moderate usage.

Just updated to CheckRom V3 and looking good so far, with Siyah Kernel. all Samsung apps are removed and you have the option to install them. most modifications are there. I have the camera modification as well pretty handy, battery icon, USB mass storage for the SD card, can't remember what else.

Battery last me all day usually from 7am to 11pm so far its looking good to be honest

• Advertisement

If you ever watched the HTC One X advert on TV for the skydiving and while taking the video he was able to take a photo the same time, thats in the mod and ported to the S3.

i find it handy and pretty impressive to show off to your iphone friends heheh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

rooted last night.. no idea why considering i did nothing afterwards..
    kies seems to be working better since i rooted though.
    managed to update to the latest version with it.
    I actually commented a few pages back about not having brightness in notifications being an annoyance..or inconvenience so am really glad they brought it in :D would prefer if it was a toggle widget though like the others.. dont like that it takes up more space there as my keyboard is there also so half the space is now used on notifications that arent necessary 99% of the time...though maybe theres a way to remove them or alter them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that the Meteor/eMobile Voice codec is absolutely VILE :(

I fannied around with an S3 while its owner was abroad this weekend. The sound quality on Meteor/eMobile was cack while the phone was much much clearer with O2. Nothing to do with signal quality either.

Yes!!! Is that what's causing it?! Damn. Didn't think of the codec. I reckon it might be an uphill battle to convince them to change it. I wonder how in the world you might get through to the right person in emobile tech team.

You can check the counter in download mode to see if it's gone up. If it has you can do a few tricks to reset it and put back on the firmware that came with the phone.

Fairly happy that I can put the original Three version of the firmware back on if I have to using odin.

But does triangle away work with a non rooted phone? I used odin to update the firmware, but I haven't rooted.

I put it in download mode just now and there's no sign of a counter. Across from Custom Binary Rom it says "no". The other items say things like "official" and "standard", but no counter.

Fairly happy that I can put the original Three version of the firmware back on if I have to using odin.

But does triangle away work with a non rooted phone? I used odin to update the firmware, but I haven't rooted.

I put it in download mode just now and there's no sign of a counter. Across from Custom Binary Rom it says "no". The other items say things like "official" and "standard", but no counter.

Then you are safe for now, but remember if you ever want to send it back, just flash it with Three version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

threein99 wrote: »
    Have you tried it using Kies ? mine wouldnt update using the phones software update, but it did when I plugged it into Kies. Im on Meteor

Nope. Do I download the Kies app or is it on the phone already? I cant find it.
    god's toy wrote: »

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Nope. Do I download the Kies app or is it on the phone already? I cant find it.

You download it onto you PC or Laptop, its the software you use to add music and stuff to the phone when connected to a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

its software that can help with music and pictures.. im pretty sure 90% of people use drag and drop though.

I used kies to update and it did so flawlessly in around 20-30 minutes or so. brightness toggle is handy..jhafnt noticed anything else so far changed, but im sure stuff has been

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Update available ota on emobile this morning

Advertisement