Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

My S2 is beginning to give a bit of trouble so have decided to get an S3 today.

Can anyone recommend a Docking station which will charge the phone with a protective case fitted and what case do people recommend?

I'd also like to get a spare battery and battery charger so if there are any recommendations for those I'd appreciate it also. I used Antler spare batteries with my S2 and they were very good but I don't think they are doing S3 batteries yet.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Can anyone recommend a good flip case for the S3??

Would love something like this but far too expensive to justify,,,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SGP-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Leather-Case-Folio-Navy-Blue-/150842623834?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item231eebc75a

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭bkeane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone know of a setting to change the default app that is opened when earphones are plugged in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got an S3 there on Tuesday and to be honest my biggest gripe is the lack of "normal" ring tones. I just cant hear the silly ones that the have. I have it rooted now with Wanamalite ROM and even with that its the same.

Any idea where I can get a ring - ring tone, I think it was called deskphone on the S2 ??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

KTRIC wrote: »
    I got an S3 there on Tuesday and to be honest my biggest gripe is the lack of "normal" ring tones. I just cant hear the silly ones that the have. I have it rooted now with Wanamalite ROM and even with that its the same.

Any idea where I can get a ring - ring tone, I think it was called deskphone on the S2 ??

I know what you mean - I downloaded an app called Nostalgic Phone - It has a whole range of standard "ringing" tones..You should be able to find one that suits there

I couldn't deal with all the new age "Health Spa" sounds that are on the phone as standard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What about the "official" case - amazon.co.uk. T'is about 20 euros now. Can't believe they wanted 40+ euro for it :eek:

I like the idea of the back of the case being the back cover of the phone. It reduces the bulk that a normal case adds. Especially to such a slick looking phone :D

I just want to protect the screen in my pocket (damn keys!), so this looks pretty good to me. Now if only I could find it cheaper somewhere...
    Davie89 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good flip case for the S3??

Would love something like this but far too expensive to justify,,,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SGP-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Leather-Case-Folio-Navy-Blue-/150842623834?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item231eebc75a

Just stuck mine on charge... 3days 9 hrs and 15% battery left. Didn't use it as much as I normally would but ts nice to know that I could potentially get 5+ days standby out of it though. I'd never have got that with the S2.
    kenyard wrote: »
    just another comment on battery... 23 hours.. 69% remaining. used the phone very little today between sleep and work. but for standby time thats awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

What about the "official" case - amazon.co.uk. T'is about 20 euros now. Can't believe they wanted 40+ euro for it :eek:

I like the idea of the back of the case being the back cover of the phone. It reduces the bulk that a normal case adds. Especially to such a slick looking phone :D

I just want to protect the screen in my pocket (damn keys!), so this looks pretty good to me. Now if only I could find it cheaper somewhere...

Genuine flip cases are great, got one for my brother in the vodafone shop( I'm sure they all have them) in Clonmel for €20 and it fits perfectly and is of good build quality. He constantly has this phone In his pocket with keys etc and this cover has kept it pristine. However the tripe Carphone whorehouse were flogging we're cheap eBay like yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Anyone having problems with apps like the journal .ie and the today .fm not working

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Just stuck mine on charge... 3days 9 hrs and 15% battery left. Didn't use it as much as I normally would but ts nice to know that I could potentially get 5+ days standby out of it though. I'd never have got that with the S2.

What power settings are you using ?

just another comment on battery... 23 hours.. 69% remaining. used the phone very little today between sleep and work. but for standby time thats awesome

whats settings have you been using ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

threein99 wrote: »

install juice defender,,,,,,,,,,,,

Davie89 wrote: »

install juice defender,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have that on it, definitely makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

my own. no juice defender, no app killer... just been busy in work. standby does very little. i made a bigger comment in a thread on three in biz section.
    i estimate it is using 0.5% battery per hour on standby.
    using wifi uses maybe 1% per hour.
    using mobile data uses more.
    thats in standby.

34% left. now running 2 days 3hrs 41 minutes

will post some screens later (1hr time). gonna be needing it tomorrow so will be putting it back on charge before going to bed now.

Screenshot_2012-07-06-05-24-42.png

Screenshot_2012-07-06-07-41-35-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

my own. no juice defender, no app killer... just been busy in work. standby does very little. i made a bigger comment in a thread on three in biz section.
    i estimate it is using 0.5% battery per hour on standby.
    using wifi uses maybe 1% per hour.
    using mobile data uses more.
    thats in standby.

34% left. now running 2 days 3hrs 41 minutes

will post some screens later (1hr time). gonna be needing it tomorrow so will be putting it back on charge before going to bed now.

Screenshot_2012-07-06-05-24-42.png

Screenshot_2012-07-06-07-41-35-1.png

Looking at those screens something is preventing your phone from going to deep sleep. Looks like the broadcom service. you use your gps a lot ? Could probably turn it off when asleep and save a bit more battery. That's if it is that that's keeping it awake.

Have a quick read of this.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1699493

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Ok got the GS3 today and first impression is very good. However the blue color on the demo S3 in store was clearly different than the blue one I got. It's more like metallic looking and much lighter blue than the one they had in store.

Does anyone know if they get the Pepple Blue back soon so I can exchange it or is that the only blue from now on? Doesn't look that great to me to be honest.

Maybe I just got unlucky. Anyone knows? They said I can return it in the next 28 days. Maybe it will grow on me but right now it's not a great color.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

iwo wrote: »
    Yeah, this! Busted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Yeah, this! Busted!

Was just waiting for an outcome like this.

What part of 'lets put it into a microwave' sounds wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Yup was just about to post it from endgadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/06/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-exploding-microwave/

What a dumbass, he should get a "special" badge on boards... hope they take the replacement back,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Folks, how do i put a flight mode widget on my home screen ?

Just got the phone this afternoon, moving from HTC Desire and even though the Desire slowed down in the last couple of months the S3 is lightening fast jumping around, very impressed so far.

Edit: sorted, just downloaded a widget from the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Sorry gave bad widget advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi

How'd you get the update?

I read that Samsung released a new firmware yesterday, but when I check the software update service on the phone it says there's nothing new available.

Does the network (3) I'm on make a difference in terms of rollout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I posted the links to get the download about six posts up.

Is yours Three branded? If so you have to wait for them to decide to update. You can flash to the genetic UK unbranded firmware through the link in my above post. Very simple to do.

Sound, I'll have a look at that. It's 3 branded alright.

Funny how a manufacturers update has to be released from the network network provider. I'd have thought that Samsung updates would have been independent of 3

Advertisement