Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

pepe00 wrote: »
    dont they use gloves or what ?:confused:

Long distance offshore sailors do wear gloves or mittens when the weather is cold, but the nature of work on deck means that they often have to change very quickly to fiddley stuff that can only be done with bare hands.

Fingerless gloves work fine if you are only offshore for a few hours but on the long offshore legs they don't last, serve to retain dampness around the hands all the time and begin to smell like a sewer after a few days.

Totally waterproof gloves would leave the hands in a worse state of soggyness.

And finally... gloves are for ladyboys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Treadhead wrote: »
    That was pretty much it. An African group played a couple of songs and the mc bloke rapped a bit. Then there was a raffle...

people seemed to be hanging around in disbelief afterwards hoping it was all a joke and waiting for something good to happen. The drummers were the definite highlight.

Oh christ! I really thought the Special Guests coming on later would be the Kanyu Tree or Keywest or something? That's a real kick in the arse after volunteering in fairness. It was undoubtedly the poorest gig of the festival from what I saw of it. It hardly seems worth their while having it even. Were you a volunteer? I presume you all got free in and some free drinks? I hope so anyway.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Some shots of The Stunning on Friday night (great gig)
    My full set on flickr

7523220028_baea1c2b39_c.jpg

7523214638_bd99fd2df5_c.jpg

7523214292_7464a7c04c_c.jpg

7523219280_5fb421c289_c.jpg

7523219036_30aa547043_c.jpg

7523217858_e90e17d921_c.jpg

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

squonk wrote: »
    Oh christ! I really thought the Special Guests coming on later would be the Kanyu Tree or Keywest or something? That's a real kick in the arse after volunteering in fairness. It was undoubtedly the poorest gig of the festival from what I saw of it. It hardly seems worth their while having it even. Were you a volunteer? I presume you all got free in and some free drinks? I hope so anyway.... :)

I volunteered in 2009, but felt that vol's were treated like sh1t during the event and after. Obviously lessons weren't learned from this. The reason the army guy s were going around in the tracksuits was to make up for the vol shortage. It seems this end of gig party once again shows how little regard is shown to the volunteers. This is a real pity because the amount of time they give up, for what is essentially a major commercial event, really should be better recognised by the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

ratracer wrote: »
    This is a real pity because the amount of time they give up, for what is essentially a major commercial event, really should be better recognised by the organisers.

Exactly. I have no idea why there is a need for volunteers for a commercial event, maybe for the NUI Galway tent?. As a student ambassador for NUIG i've been asked numerous times to volunteer. Surely Volvo have enough money to pay for people to direct people around or mind traffic. Thats all I've seen volunteers do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Exactly. I have no idea why there is a need for volunteers for a commercial event, maybe for the NUI Galway tent?. As a student ambassador for NUIG i've been asked numerous times to volunteer. Surely Volvo have enough money to pay for people to direct people around or mind traffic. Thats all I've seen volunteers do!

Really, you've no idea why there's a need for volunteers?

Think of the other festivals around the place. They charge, and they charge alot of money. Nearly everything at the VOR was free.

Forbidden fruit was something like E100 for three days and it was a smaller festival than the week long event staged in Galway. Even if you go to something like taste of Dublin, you get charged entry, the exhibitors get charged to exhibit and everything you eat while you're there has to be paid for.

How much would you normally pay to see the saw doctors, sharon shannon, thin lizzy, the stunning?

That they manage to put anything on at all, without charging some sort of entry fee is incredible. Volvo sponsor the race, they don't sponsor the festival. I'm not sure what they contribute to the Lets Do It Galway coffers but it's nothing like enough to run what was put on. Dublin can't even manage to arrange a free concert in the Phoenix Park, though there's been talk about it for years.

I do agree that it sounds like the volunteers should have been treated better, it couldn't be done without them, but all this talk of a "commercial festival", when there's no entry fee for 90% of events is a bit ridiculous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,425 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Really, you've no idea why there's a need for volunteers?

Think of the other festivals around the place. They charge, and they charge alot of money. Nearly everything at the VOR was free.

Forbidden fruit was something like E100 for three days and it was a smaller festival than the week long event staged in Galway. Even if you go to something like taste of Dublin, you get charged entry, the exhibitors get charged to exhibit and everything you eat while you're there has to be paid for.

How much would you normally pay to see the saw doctors, sharon shannon, thin lizzy, the stunning?

That they manage to put anything on at all, without charging some sort of entry fee is incredible. Volvo sponsor the race, they don't sponsor the festival. I'm not sure what they contribute to the Lets Do It Galway coffers but it's nothing like enough to run what was put on. Dublin can't even manage to arrange a free concert in the Phoenix Park, though there's been talk about it for years.

I do agree that it sounds like the volunteers should have been treated better, it couldn't be done without them, but all this talk of a "commercial festival", when there's no entry fee for 90% of events is a bit ridiculous to me.
    Totally agree.
    There's probably a confusing pricing structure but didn't Galway have to PAY the VOR to host the event, then there were all the facilities that had to be paid for. When you think of it, the organisers of the galway leg had very little "income" as such (from what I can tell).
    While there may have been 80 million generated in the region, the event cost about 10 million according to some sources and the organising committee are gonna be running it tight to have enough cash to cover the event itself.

The volunteers should probably have been treated better but I really doubt the organisers of this even had much to spend on anything else.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see the accounts for the whole race overall...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Many of the smaller music acts were not paid either, so were also essentially volunteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The images of the race were carried to an estimated global TV audience of 3 Billion in 50 countries and a 3.2 Billion global print readership. I look forward with interest to seeing the number of millions of hits on the VOR site. Tourism Ireland has been working in key markets everywhere the race stopped to keep Galway and Ireland in the spotlight, and our Council did it’s bit too. And practically every time the race was mentioned in an article, ’the finish in Galway’ was mentioned too.

This is the kind of global audience and publicity for the city that no marketing budget could ever buy !

So enough of the whinging an whineing about what are essentially minor difficulties.

Let’s keep the BIG picture in focus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

:o
    dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Some shots of The Stunning on Friday night (great gig)
    My full set on flickr

7523220028_baea1c2b39_c.jpg

7523214638_bd99fd2df5_c.jpg

7523214292_7464a7c04c_c.jpg

7523219280_5fb421c289_c.jpg

7523219036_30aa547043_c.jpg

7523217858_e90e17d921_c.jpg

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

7537629838_0c7d4f5cc4.jpg

7537627970_446982df50.jpg

7537621982_bb8e410145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Steve Wall making video for his daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,425 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The images of the race were carried to an estimated global TV audience of 3 Billion in 50 countries and a 3.2 Billion global print readership. I look forward with interest to seeing the number of millions of hits on the VOR site. Tourism Ireland has been working in key markets everywhere the race stopped to keep Galway and Ireland in the spotlight, and our Council did it’s bit too. And practically every time the race was mentioned in an article, ’the finish in Galway’ was mentioned too.

This is the kind of global audience and publicity for the city that no marketing budget could ever buy !

So enough of the whinging an whineing about what are essentially minor difficulties.

Let’s keep the BIG picture in focus.
    Fair enough, but the big picture will be harder to paint next time round if the people who gave their time for free and those who provided services to the event aren't looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0709/media-3339642.html#

Limerick has been awarded the city of culture for 2014. My instant reaction was that Galway should have got it but on reflection, we don't deserve it.

Galway is the city of craic 2012/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/21//22/23/23/25 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Paddyfield wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0709/media-3339642.html#

Limerick has been awarded the city of culture for 2014. My instant reaction was that Galway should have got it but on reflection, we don't deserve it.

Galway is the city of craic 2012/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/21//22/23/23/25 etc

I think that's going to be an annual Irish thing, nothing to do with the European city of culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MyNameis.com

I spent two days in galway for the ocean race and i had a great time! galway seems the perfect place for VOR with the dock in the heart of the city. For a mostly free event it was top class and the crowds reflect that.

It's a pitty to see some people knocking the VOR when really it's more events like it we need in this country, i know its not ideal when the noise is going on late at night for the local people but the coverage it gave of galway and ireland to a huge audiences world wide is priceless!

Well done Galway and hopefuly VOR will return 2015 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

The whole thing about volunteers being treated badly this time simply isn't true! There was a party tonight and last night for ALL volunteers! I didn't go to either, but I have to say we were well dressed, well fed and had a great sense of community, togetherness and friendship, something that can be difficult to garner in less than a fortnight! I have to say, it was a truly great experience i will never forget.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    The whole thing about volunteers being treated badly this time simply isn't true! There was a party tonight and last night for ALL volunteers! I didn't go to either, but I have to say we were well dressed, well fed and had a great sense of community, togetherness and friendship, something that can be difficult to garner in less than a fortnight! I have to say, it was a truly great experience i will never forget.

Fair play, glad to hear that this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have lots of pics but havent had time to sort them yet, here are two from out in the bay during the in-port racing.

VOR_1_1.jpg

Embarrassing for Telephonica!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

John_Rambo wrote: »

LOL you would of thought that if they see multiple teams with spinni's up that they would of thought it was the way to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

All of the Volvo boats are gone now, Camper was the last to depart she went around 10-30 this morning. Bon Voyage lads and thanks for a great festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Brad768 wrote: »
    LOL you would of thought that if they see multiple teams with spinni's up that they would of thought it was the way to go :)

I think that is the windward mark.

Telefonica are on Port, rounding the mark, effectively sailing upwind.
    All others sailing downwind on Starboard.
    Sanya have rounded, bear away, kite up and jib still up.
    Groupama as Sanya but with jib coming down.
    Camper as Groupama with jib fully down.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

A few of my photos are here.

I'm depressed ... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ValerieR wrote: »
    A few of my photos are here.

I'm depressed ... :p

Wind gone out of your sails?

Luffing all the way home? But not three sheets to the wind I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

ah you could be right! Was hard identifying on an ipod

Telefonica had effectively rounded the mark in that photo, they were a little slower to get the kite up than Sanya who in my previous photo in that sequence had it up in almost the same position as Tele were in this photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The sail should be up two metres away from the mark!!!! Something must have linked or got snared. I'd say there were a few swear words from the pit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Telefonica had effectively rounded the mark in that photo, they were a little slower to get the kite up than Sanya who in my previous photo in that sequence had it up in almost the same position as Tele were in this photo.
    Yeah actually Telefonica are on starboard, foredeck crew can be seen.
    The sail should be up two metres away from the mark!!!! Something must have linked or got snared. I'd say there were a few swear words from the pit!
    You cant fully hoist a kite before the mark, sailing upwind is impossible with the kite, which you have to do until rounding the mark.
    It can, and should be, sneaked a few metres before rounding but cant be fully jumped until the bear away set and easing of the main and jib allows the kite to sneak up on the leeward side. The spinnaker is also banded so possible it is hoisted, but not filled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'll say one thing - Sharon Shannon really loves dogs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement