Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Enda Kenny was due in Galway at some stage, wasn't he? Maybe for last night? Not that I'm looking forward to an appearance from him. I'd prefer if the slimeball would stay away.

After Hours reported that he tripped over a flowerpot and Galway did decorate the place with flowerpots and all. Wondering now did it happen in Galway and if so did anybody see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

He was there yesterday, I saw him surrounded by 5 gardaí and extra security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Looks like there could be trouble ahead, not paying the bills

Link: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0706/1224319512157.html

One guy told me he had to pay €60,000 to the council for his stands.
    Insane amount of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

fifi234ie wrote: »
    One guy told me he had to pay €60,000 to the council for his stands. Insane amount of money.

Where? How many stalls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Insane amount of money.

That's an insane price to charge. The councils need to cop on and stop that greed of overcharging. We're in a recession. Many people are venturing out and the crowds are coming into the city but I would say many are not spending or spending very little or making whatever little money they have stretch, including me. The money is just not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭squonk

ilovesleep wrote: »
    That's an insane price to charge. The councils need to cop on and stop that greed of overcharging. We're in a recession. Many people are venturing out and the crowds are coming into the city but I would say many are not spending or spending very little or making whatever little money they have stretch, including me. The money is just not there.

At the same time, it depends on your stall size and how much the stuff you're selling costs. For instance, for the 9 days, if you were selling pints in a beer stall, you'd have to sell 1333 pints to cover costs each day. I'm assuming a fiver a pint. If you're selling food, that number comes down. You'd easily serve 1500 customers per day at least right now.

That being said, I know the stalls are finding it harder going all the same. Don't forget too though that the stalls are a good way for some businesses to put on a showcase and generate repeat business in future so it's not all about covering the up front cost I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Insane amount of money.

How could he pay that money to the Council, all of the land around the docks including the roads are the property of Galway Harbour. The council would have no say in the stalls except to licence them, I could not understand how it would cost that much. Mad money really

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Had the pleasure of visiting Galway on Tuesday for the Volvo Ocean Race and must say it was a great day, despite the rain and some traffic issues, plenty to see and do and to see the race boats in port after 39,000 miles was a WOW moment for me and the rest of the travelling companions.

Thank you to the people of Galway who have allowed the event to take over their city and hope the final few days get some good weather. Its not every day a global sporting event takes place in Ireland on this scale and to see the way Galway has been Ocean Raced is amazing. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The Atlantic pirates at seven and the stunning to follow..... Not going to give in to the hangover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The skippers talking up tomorrow's in port race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

A video was posted of the Pro-Am today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R_M5G4C5qQ). The commenator introduves Galway as the "absolutely astonishing party town...". I don't think I've heard that about the other ports! He also says "this is the most extraordinary week..." These official videos seem to be filled with nothing but praise for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

hope the weather is good tomorrow, can't wait to get some nice shots of the in-port race (starting at 11.00am) and the airshow (starting at 3.00pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Brad768 wrote: »
    the in-port race (starting at 11.00am)

AFAIK the in-port race starts at 1pm or slightly before, see further back in the thread for TG4 coverage info

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

At home tonight babysitting.
    So i took some time out and read thru the news archives on the volvo ocean website from the nite the boats came in onwards.
    Guys it would do ye good to read the articles. Our mighty town is up there with the best of the best

Its times like this you are proud to be from galway.
    Btw who needs a fancy port development, mod cons etc etc (great to get it though)
    The four walls of our city are good enough to welcome any visitor to our town.
    Pen Rua wrote: »
    A video was posted of the Pro-Am today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R_M5G4C5qQ). The commenator introduves Galway as the "absolutely astonishing party town...". I don't think I've heard that about the other ports! He also says "this is the most extraordinary week..." These official videos seem to be filled with nothing but praise for Galway.

jkforde wrote: »
    AFAIK the in-port race starts at 1pm or slightly before, see further back in the thread for TG4 coverage info
    Galway Ad: This afternoon (1pm), the final In-Port race of the 2011-2012 Volvo Ocean Race series will take place on a course between Salthill and Mutton Island.

Oh right, my bad... I was told in live stream chat it was starting at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Great night last night, Stunning were very entertaining.
    The silent disco was packed, queues to get onto the street. Weather good too.
    Will post up photos later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Salthill to mutton island seems rather short? Anyone know what the course is?

What a might last night, the stunning were well, stunning... ;) never seen galway looking so good!

Treadhead wrote: »
    Salthill to mutton island seems rather short? Anyone know what the course is?

http://www.volvooceanracegalway.ie/LatestNews/tabid/153/EntryId/92/Salthill-air-display-to-salute-Volvo-Sailors.aspx

Sharon Shannon has a forty-piece orchestra? Where has she been hiding them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Fair play to the Puma crew wearing the green!

180259_10150958717725017_1724896856_n.jpg

Online coverage of the Galway In-Port race

Livestream from Volvo Ocean Race is available now at 11:50 am.

Just a shot from that very high cherry picker outside the Aquarium in Salthill at present... but I presume it will liven up soon.

TG4 online coverage starts at 12:45.

TG4 also have two webcams in the docks...

Looking out the dock gates

Looking at the VOR berths

Livestream from Volvo Ocean Race is available now at 11:50 am.

Is that grey car abandoned on a double yellow line within five metres of a pedestrian crossing?
    12:12 A car just went through a red light there while the pedestrian was about to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Fair play to the Puma crew wearing the green!

180259_10150958717725017_1724896856_n.jpg

More impressed if they wore the maroon, but good effort:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's live on tg4 if anyone wants to watch. There's good footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's very exciting.........yawnnn

Everything is lovely and grey.........

Seven Worlds will Collide

Is it really worth going to the Air Display this afternoon?

Just popped down there. Not very exciting. Just some colourful yokes sprinting across the waves framed by heavily pregnant clouds nestling abver the mounds of Clare.
    I discovered that illegally abandoned car adjacent to the pedestrian crossing at Seapoint is 10KExxx. For shame Kildareonian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

More impressed if they wore the maroon, but good effort:D

Maybe in 2015 if there is an O'Neills Ocean Racing Team entry; or if Puma become the official supplier of Galway GAA gear!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement