Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

inisboffin wrote: »
    Excellent malapropism!

its gone past 3am. sorry i cant spell or have decent grammer.

ps, i thought this whole week was great. more of it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ok it's time to STFU lads - 3am and I'm 3k away and it's still cranked!
    We get it. Galway's a party city but seriously lads. It's not electric picnic where everyone paid in voluntarily to be awake until this hour.

And yes, I would feel different if I wasn't up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ok it's time to STFU lads - 3am and I'm 3k away and it's still cranked!
    We get it. Galway's a party city but seriously lads. It's not electric picnic where everyone paid in voluntarily to be awake until this hour.

And yes, I would feel different if I wasn't up in the morning.

Out of curiosity, where are you? I live essentially right beside the Spanish Arch and it's pretty much silent out here. There's certainly nothing coming from the docks. Quay Street is a bit crazy but definitely not 3km away crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

When the boats will leave the Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

maki wrote:

Out of curiosity, where are you? I live essentially right beside the Spanish Arch and it's pretty much silent out here. There's certainly nothing coming from the docks. Quay Street is a bit crazy but definitely not 3km away crazy.

Just above Rahoon. And it wasn't just this side of town heard it either. Not sure why you heard nothing when I could hear full lyrics at 3am and after.

Oh well. Back to regular laws now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Seen a few scraps around key street last night. some rough ones around.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭corasam

anyone know what time the ice rink opens today? tks

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

are the boats still on port? if yes, when they go out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I was in yesterday and all I can say is I wasted my time driving in. Don't see what the hype is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

cena wrote: »
    I was in yesterday and all I can say is I wasted my time driving in. Don't see what the hype is all about

The Volvo Ocean Race complaints thread is here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You obviously were not entranced by the dulcet tones of the female PA announcer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭squonk

It's time Boards introduced either a "dislike" or a "STFU" button!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Puma is well gone she is just rounding Black Head heading South as is the big British yacht Nimrod, party over folks, it was a great week.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You should have arrived on the 4th.
    Anyone Know of a good site where I can watch the fireworks that well going of in the states tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Great weekend, amazing to see the VO70's inshore racing. It's not likely to be seen again. Food was good, a tad pricey but that's to be expected I guess. Good atmosphere, some very very accomplished and famous sailors strolling around unhassled! I thought the Global village was a good expo for local and Irish businesses. I think Volvo are an amazing sponsor, lots and lots of cash pumped in to the event, hopefully they sell lots of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

A few weeks ago I commented that if the weather didn't hold up, the event wouldn't be half the success it was the last time. I absolutely stand corrected! :)

I ventured in there several times during the week and enjoyed every minute of it. It was a fantastic week, and I very much look forward to its return. These last 2 VOR's in Galway have been epic, despite the fact that the last week has probably thrown at us, some of the worst rain this year. On the first evening I went in there, the place was soaked, yet it was like nobody even noticed. I was very proud of everyone for that, and how "up for it" everyone remained.

So in fact, it was the people & not the weather. So thank you all for a great week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hope Swedish house mafia are gigging at the next one........

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

So, no point in going into the race village or global village tonight after 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A few weeks ago I commented that if the weather didn't hold up, the event wouldn't be half the success it was the last time. I absolutely stand corrected!

You obviously don't know sailing people!! :pac: not only are we used to the wet, but we have the best waterproof gear in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

vor120504_riou054_2228908k.jpg

ryan-godfrey-puma_2162198k.jpg

The Telegraph (UK) have been publishing a series of great images from the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12.

Images from Galway
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/volvo-ocean-race/9375087/Volvo-Ocean-Race-Galway-comes-alive-to-toast-Camper-and-Groupama-after-midnight.html
    best weather images
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/volvo-ocean-race/9287403/Volvo-Ocean-Race-the-50-best-weather-images-...-big-breezes-lashing-rain-huge-waves-and-moments-in-the-sun.html
    and here.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/volvo-ocean-race/9131008/Volvo-Ocean-Race-201112-The-50-best-images-of-the-race-so-far.html

Above are two of my favorites… apparently it is necessary to be fingerprinted when entering the US but some of the Volvo sailors had no fingerprints left at all when they arrived in Miami !

This is because of the wear and tear from the ropes on their hands and because of the watch system they operate, sometimes being power hosed with sea water for four hours, every four hours, during the long legs of the race.

Sad to see them leave Galway today…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Still down in Galway for the Volvo Ocean Race. Brilliant time. Don't want to go home. Thanks to everyone involed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

mikom wrote: »
    You should have arrived on the 4th.

Are you stalking me on here. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

What a fantastic week !!! Just back online from a week in town.

Some of the pictures posted on this thread are just fantastic. Thank you for sharing them ! I have a few pictures myself and will be adding them to this thread shortly.

Question : would anyone have photos/videos of the fleet leaving the harbour on Saturday morning, after the Volvo Boats heading out for the in-port race? We were in the middle of the rush and it was so busy we didn't get a chance to capture this moment !
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I was considering on making it in today but something came up and I couldn't.

What a wonderful sporting event the VOR is. Fair play and well done to all in involved with organising the Volvo Ocean Race and to all the teams who competed and to all those who brought it to Galway. Well done to all the people who turned out for the week and brought great enthusiasm and atmosphere. This was Europes third biggest sporting event of the year and it came to Galway. Well done to all the bands and everyone who provided some entertainment. Delighted to real good reports on Galway an the VOR. Delighted that the week went well. This past week has uplifted me hugely and makes me so very proud to be from Galway. I have some regrets. Like not following the race from the beginning and not coming out on Monday night to greet the boats. Well done to everyone who did.

Read something online that Galway made the news worldwide. I'm sure many homes from Galway are missing family and friends due to emigration. Can we all spare a thought for all who has left for better prospects. Many, I'm sure would have loved to be here and watching events online may make them homesick. Sending lots of love to all who is away and may be missing Galway.

Here's hoping Volvo Ocean Race comes back to Galway again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,426 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A few weeks ago I commented that if the weather didn't hold up, the event wouldn't be half the success it was the last time. I absolutely stand corrected! :)

I ventured in there several times during the week and enjoyed every minute of it. It was a fantastic week, and I very much look forward to its return. These last 2 VOR's in Galway have been epic, despite the fact that the last week has probably thrown at us, some of the worst rain this year. On the first evening I went in there, the place was soaked, yet it was like nobody even noticed. I was very proud of everyone for that, and how "up for it" everyone remained.

So in fact, it was the people & not the weather. So thank you all for a great week ;)

Well,
    I'd say that depends on how you look at it.
    I was in there Saturday (evening) Sunday (afternoon) Monday (evening) Tuesday evening. The weather during the days on those days was horrendous (the place was almost deserted on sunday until the rain stopped). Somehow, as far as I am aware, there was very little bad weather/rain during almost all of the heading gigs and indeed for the majority of the arrival on Tuesday morning.
    I do think that the traders who had stalls down there might feel business being down compared to before due to the bad weather during the days.
    I was at a number of other events this week as well and luckily the weather cleared for all of them.
    All in all a great week, I suspect next time round Galway will get the starting port.

EDIT: The actual sailing fans, who were there specificilly for the sailing side of it would probably have been out in any weather, but those casual observers, like myself, wouldn't have been as prevalent, I reckon were it not for the weather being "dry" at key times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

kippy wrote: »
    Well,
    I'd say that depends on how you look at it.
    I was in there Saturday (evening) Sunday (afternoon) Monday (evening) Tuesday evening. The weather during the days on those days was horrendous (the place was almost deserted on sunday until the rain stopped). Somehow, as far as I am aware, there was very little bad weather/rain during almost all of the heading gigs and indeed for the majority of the arrival on Tuesday morning.
    I do think that the traders who had stalls down there might feel business being down compared to before due to the bad weather during the days.
    I was at a number of other events this week as well and luckily the weather cleared for all of them.
    All in all a great week, I suspect next time round Galway will get the starting port.
    EDIT: The actual sailing fans, who were there specificilly for the sailing side of it would probably have been out in any weather, but those casual observers, like myself, wouldn't have been as prevalent, I reckon were it not for the weather being "dry" at key times.

Alicante have secured the starting port for a number of races, definitely one ot two more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,426 ✭✭✭✭kippy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Alicante have secured the starting port for a number of races, definitely one ot two more to go.

Didn't realise that.
    http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/3753_Volvo-Ocean-Race-to-start-in-Alicante-again-in-2014.html
    Well, I doubt Galway will get the finale again but you never know.

I reckon there if massive pressure to have a stage in Sweden, and looking at the route the race normally takes, it could finish there. I reckon Galway will get a stage next time. I think Lorient is guarenteed one next time, but i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

When is the route actually announced? Or, when is a shortlist of ports announced?

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    When is the route actually announced? Or, when is a shortlist of ports announced?

Final list to be announced in December.
    Already cut from 81 to 36.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement