Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 corbo

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Pen Rua wrote: »
    When is the route actually announced? Or, when is a shortlist of ports announced?

They announced the course and the ports for this race on Monday, April 19, 2010, so if they follow the same timeline it should be early next year.

(Just saw Galwayrush's post... he obviously has more up to date info than I do)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

corbo wrote: »
    Surely they'd tell you if they used a picture? I would hope so, anyway.

You've got some lovely shots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They announced the course and the ports for this race on Monday, April 19, 2010, so if they follow the same timeline it should be early next year.

(Just saw Galwayrush's post... he obviously has more up to date info than I do)

I only heard one of the organisers giving a short interview on tv.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

galwayrush wrote: »
    Final list to be announced in December.
    Already cut from 81 to 36.

Wow! The Volvo Ocean Race is very sought after.

Just by chance we got the VOR back in 09 and someone known as John Killeen was responsible for making it all happen. This is copied from the 2009 thread:
    sgthighway wrote: »
    IMHO John Killeen is the main man for bringing it to Galway. He was told he could have the boat race by the organisers if he could get arrangements in place. He met with Failte Ireland and told them he wanted to bring the VOR to Galway but it would cost FI 8 million euro. FI said it was a good idea but they would have to think about it. John Killeen then held went on and told all the media the VOR was coming to Galway before FI had agreed. He was well organised and had the motivation and balls to do it. Well Done!

I reckon Galway would not get it again because somebbody else will stroke it.

Well done Mr. Killeen and Thank You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Great weekend, amazing to see the VO70's inshore racing. It's not likely to be seen again. Food was good, a tad pricey but that's to be expected I guess. Good atmosphere, some very very accomplished and famous sailors strolling around unhassled! I thought the Global village was a good expo for local and Irish businesses. I think Volvo are an amazing sponsor, lots and lots of cash pumped in to the event, hopefully they sell lots of cars.

Ditto, Got there about 11am to the P&R, whisked into Galway with the family and a great day had by all. Have to say it was very well organised, the NUIG and MGIT ++ the museum areas were great. Showing the kids what we had as computers in the years not so long ago was a blast. Got to see the full sails on the vessels for the in port race which has to be seen to appreciate what these vessels can do in terms of speed. Next time I want to get out there to watch it in full flow.
    Fair play to Galway and the organisers, we had a brill day out.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Puma is well gone she is just rounding Black Head heading South as is the big British yacht Nimrod, party over folks, it was a great week.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Where is she parked tonight or what name is it going under, cannot find it via the link.

Thought I might as well stick up some of the photos I took during the week:

290009_10150949483048429_1399024897_o.jpg
    532475_10150943071118429_52098365_n.jpg
    521970_10150943069838429_310405661_n.jpg
    528835_10150948910178429_776986533_n.jpg
    534866_10150948998643429_1574399357_n.jpg
    IMG_20120630_173111.jpg
    IMG_20120630_173118.jpg
    IMG_20120630_173126.jpg
    290017_10150939120588429_1520659507_o.jpg
    306766_10150948913718429_679599223_n.jpg

I'd say Galway is still partying having won the hurling today! A leinster tropy being brought back to Connaght :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

JustMary wrote: »
    +1

I reckon we should feck the horse races out the window, and just have a boat festival of some sort every year.

The people who come to watch boats (or to watch people watching boats :) ) are just sooo much nicer.
    Well now that's rubbish. I saw plenty of nasty stuff throughout the week, especially around Eyre Square last night. Races contribute hugely to Galway. I agree that there should be some sort of sailing event every year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

vor120504_riou054_2228908k.jpg

ryan-godfrey-puma_2162198k.jpg

The Telegraph (UK) have been publishing a series of great images from the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12.

Images from Galway
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/volvo-ocean-race/9375087/Volvo-Ocean-Race-Galway-comes-alive-to-toast-Camper-and-Groupama-after-midnight.html
    best weather images
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/volvo-ocean-race/9287403/Volvo-Ocean-Race-the-50-best-weather-images-...-big-breezes-lashing-rain-huge-waves-and-moments-in-the-sun.html
    and here.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/volvo-ocean-race/9131008/Volvo-Ocean-Race-201112-The-50-best-images-of-the-race-so-far.html

Above are two of my favorites… apparently it is necessary to be fingerprinted when entering the US but some of the Volvo sailors had no fingerprints left at all when they arrived in Miami !

This is because of the wear and tear from the ropes on their hands and because of the watch system they operate, sometimes being power hosed with sea water for four hours, every four hours, during the long legs of the race.

Sad to see them leave Galway today…

dont they use gloves or what ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

Anyone see the state of cross/quay/shop street on sat night? It was like walking through a dump, cans and glass everywhere. Never realized the council do such a great job come morning when everything is clear again. No real point to this, I'm just incredibly impressed on how well the street cleaners do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

When was this one taken; edit: link won't work. I tried to post the one of the boats docked at day time with a view of the huge crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Thanks. c: What a crowd... Amazing. That'll probably be 2012's version of the "iconic" photo of 2009... (http://yachtingworld.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/9097%7C000006299%7Cf172_VOR17632-469x313.jpg).

yer man! wrote: »
    Anyone see the state of cross/quay/shop street on sat night? It was like walking through a dump, cans and glass everywhere. Never realized the council do such a great job come morning when everything is clear again. No real point to this, I'm just incredibly impressed on how well the street cleaners do their jobs.

That's what Galway usually resembles on a Friday/Saturday night, just not on as big a scale. You really do have to give the council a hand for how good they clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Well the finale was a huge ball of ****e.... shame to end such a fantastic festival on such a poor night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

VOR1.jpg

VOR2.jpg

VOR3.jpg

VOR4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The streets were cleaned by the time I was in town at 8am this morning, it's as if nothing ever happened.

Say what you want about the Council's in-efficiencies, but they did a great clean-up ASAP from what I witnessed this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Attended the volvo Ocean Race every day and night - and from once the weather broke on Tuesday after torrential downpours all day, the whole thing came to life and it was a fantastic nine days. Sorry to see it all close down yesterday and back to normal today (a good thing I suppose as partying that hard for another week would have me on a stretcher - LOL).

One one tiny disappointment - was at Sharon Shannon on Saturday night - was it just me or did that show seem a bit flat compared to the other shows. It was very very sedate for the last big concert of the event (IMHO). The other shows were fantastic - The Saw Doctors being the highlight of my week - what a night that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

One one tiny disappointment - was at Sharon Shannon on Saturday night - was it just me or did that show seem a bit flat compared to the other shows. It was very very sedate for the last big concert of the event (IMHO). The other shows were fantastic - The Saw Doctors being the highlight of my week - what a night that was.
    ya last time i saw her was in a big tent, the sound was great and everyone was dancing. thought wit the orchestra it was a bit slow. enjoyable all the same.

hypnotic brass ensemble did it for me on Wednesday, and the silent disco on Friday were my highlights, oh and the boats. will be sorry to see them go, but with the film fleadh, arts festival, and races theres still plenty on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Treadhead wrote: »
    Well the finale was a huge ball of ****e.... shame to end such a fantastic festival on such a poor night....

Who were the special guests? I had a ticket for the show and went along. The drummers at the start were great but the band from Waterford weren't to my taste and the exertions of the week caught up with me so I legged it home for an early night. I'd paid for a ticket so it was only money but I felt sorry for the volunteers who deserved a god night and didn't seem to be getting it. I spoke to a volunteer on Monday who was heading in at 7:30 for an all-nighter when the boats were arriving. I at least thought someone like the Hypnotic Brass would have been on as a reward for dedication like that but things didn't seem to be headed in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

That was pretty much it. An African group played a couple of songs and the mc bloke rapped a bit. Then there was a raffle...

people seemed to be hanging around in disbelief afterwards hoping it was all a joke and waiting for something good to happen. The drummers were the definite highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

squonk wrote: »
    Who were the special guests? I had a ticket for the show and went along. The drummers at the start were great but the band from Waterford weren't to my taste and the exertions of the week caught up with me so I legged it home for an early night. I'd paid for a ticket so it was only money but I felt sorry for the volunteers who deserved a god night and didn't seem to be getting it. I spoke to a volunteer on Monday who was heading in at 7:30 for an all-nighter when the boats were arriving. I at least thought someone like the Hypnotic Brass would have been on as a reward for dedication like that but things didn't seem to be headed in that direction.
    That would have been some coup.

Had two great weekends again at the VOR I'm just regretting not taking the week off and being back in Galway for everything, though I couldn't really with having race week booked off.

Pity its all over but only 3 weeks to the races now, bring it on :D

I have lots of pics but havent had time to sort them yet, here are two from out in the bay during the in-port racing.

VOR_2.jpg

VOR_1_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

yer man! wrote: »

I was in the area at about midnight Sat night, it was borderline dangerous the amount of people that were about. I wouldn't like to have seen hwat would have happned if someone fell in the junction around High St/Cross St/Quay st. It was very hard to get a drink - grand if you're around all day and well lubricated, not so nice if you only got in at 10.30.

Anyhow, finally got to go in around the village Sunday morning and I was well impressed with how good the place looked. Have to say it looked well run, well done to everybody concerned, you've done Galway proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Only got four hours max sleep each day over the festival due to work and play. Sleep pattern messed up now though. Been awake since 7 even thought I have nuttin to do till five today.

Got to most things except Salthill.

Best points for me (not including the excellent boat related stuff) were Thin Lizzy, The Sawdoctors, Oddsocks Revival and The Atlantic Pirates. Also the Global Village was a great place to escape to for a break from the madness. Even ended up on the big wheel and the dodgems which I haven't done for 30 years.

Bad points were that bloody screechy woman (was working close by so every time she appeared I had to endure both her and the customers moaning about her) and the lack of the Soup in Bread stall that I had been looking forward to since the last time.

Congrats to the Volunteers, Cleaners, Guards and Security who really kept everything together with their relaxed but professional attitude to everything.

ROLL ON 2015!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,425 ✭✭✭✭kippy

antoobrien wrote: »
    I was in the area at about midnight Sat night, it was borderline dangerous the amount of people that were about. I wouldn't like to have seen hwat would have happned if someone fell in the junction around High St/Cross St/Quay st. It was very hard to get a drink - grand if you're around all day and well lubricated, not so nice if you only got in at 10.30.

Anyhow, finally got to go in around the village Sunday morning and I was well impressed with how good the place looked. Have to say it looked well run, well done to everybody concerned, you've done Galway proud.

Avoided Shop/Quay street most of the time and there are plenty pubs outside those areas with a great atmosphere and accessible bar/toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Maverick Sabre and Ryan Sheridan were the highlights for me. Maverick put on a great show, been following him for a couple of years now so it was great to finally see him perform :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement