Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitali Klitschko,the Greatest Heavyweight Champion of all Time ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

So if he found his opponents harder to beat he would be better?

That's what your Saying-he makes people look ordinary, Lewis got lucky and that's the truth.

He won the Crowd that night and the commentators-Lewis not rematching just confirmed what people thought, that Vitali had his number.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree the uppercut he took was awesome and theres no doubting Vitali's chin. I cant really agree with your answer though as it wasn't a win. Anyone else?

But apart from that clean connection his chin has not really been tested. Not saying it is poor, it is not, but we have very little to go on. Sanders tagged him some had backed him up and looked to wobble him.

cowzerp wrote: »

That's what your Saying-he makes people look ordinary, Lewis got lucky and that's the truth.

He won the Crowd that night and the commentators-Lewis not rematching just confirmed what people thought, that Vitali had his number.

Lewis had Vitali's number, hence the W next to Lewis' ledger.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Didnt briggs lose to both men?

Good call, he did. Battered vs. Klit. But, that was a real stale and faded Briggs. Lewis beat a far better version probably 10-12 years before.

And it took Klit all of 12 rds to beat him. Lewis beat him far more convincingly, yet folks think Lewis was boring?

walshb wrote: »
    Lewis had Vitali's number, hence the W next to Lewis' ledger.

That's bull bren, cuts are just bad luck-Vitali was landing more and was winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,788 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's bull bren, cuts are just bad luck-Vitali was landing more and was winning.
    No he won the first two rounds for sure but Lewis came back at him and won 3 of the last 4 rounds before the fight was stopped. Vitaly showed heart for sure in that fight but I never seen him winning it after his eye was opened. Lewis was very smart.

Somebody said that Vitali only had two weeks notice as well but he was fighting a big man, smaller than himself, Lewis had to change from getting ready to fight a shorter pudding to fighting a real contender who was taller than himself. Vitali was supposed to be on the undercard that night and the idea was to set the two of them up for a showdown a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

I am a big Vitaly fan. I don't think you can say anybody beats him easily, from any era, anywhere. I have him top 5 all time. However, he clearly lost the fight with Lewis. He may well have won a rematch, and I think its clear Lewis was afraid of a rematch, but that fight, that night, he lost, and deservedly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I agree with most of the other lads, no one can ever be called 'The Greatest'. Who knows how well Vitali would have done in Frazier/Ali's time. In my opinion he's the greatest of the last 20 years (YES including Tyson!). I've seen most of his fights, you could argue he's never been beaten. Lennox Lewis got very lucky in 2003 and he had to throw in the towel against chris byrd. Lennox promised him a rematch and retired straight after their fight. I'm not saying Lewis is a coward but i think he knew that a rematch would leave him KO'D.

The fact of the matter is, in a time when boxing is pretty boring, especially the heavyweight division, The Klitschko's are dominating the division. Vitali has never been knocked off his feet. In my eyes he's a true champ, call him boring, 8 years as heavyweight champ has to count for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

minty16 wrote: »
    I am a big Vitaly fan. I don't think you can say anybody beats him easily, from any era, anywhere. I have him top 5 all time. However, he clearly lost the fight with Lewis. He may well have won a rematch, and I think its clear Lewis was afraid of a rematch, but that fight, that night, he lost, and deservedly so.

Vitali was ahead on all the judges scorecards?!

How could you possibly think he lost that???

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

That's my opinion anyway. Lewis inflicted the damage to Klitschko. He opened his face up?! It's not like they clashed heads or something? There is no way Vitaly could have fought like he did for 12 rounds , and the reason for this is a direct result of Lewis digging the head of him , thus, Lewis is a worthy winner.

I think Vitaly has an unbelievable chance of winning the rematch. He probably starts favourite, he showed unbelievable chin qualities, but dont forget Lewis walked through some Klitshcko punches with ease too. End of the day Lewis done more damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

A different reason as to why the fight never happened

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/860735-emanuel-steward-exposes-the-real-reason-lewis-vs-klitschko-ii-never-happened

I don't buy the Lennox was afraid bull. He won the first fight. Who's to say he wouldn't have cut Vitali again? Cuts may be "bad luck" but when they're caused by punches you have no one to blame but yourself. Maybe if Vital had of defended himself a bit better he wouldn't have been cut. Although its a lot harder to defend yourself when you dont have a 6" height advantage or massive reach advantage over your opponent. Its a coincidence that Vitali lost against the first and only fighter hes ever fought who was of similar size and ability to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

No I'm saying his opponents were ordinary and therefore he cannot be considered to be the greatest HW ever.

No I'm saying his opponents were ordinary and therefore he cannot be considered to be the greatest HW ever.

Well that's not fair-So if Ali was around now and in the same situation he Could not be considered "The Greatest" This is flawed-Certainly it would be harder to get recognition but truth is in Heavyweight Boxing history their has been very few great era's-I would genuinely say only Ali's was great, and even then Ali fought some nobodies like Alfredo Evangelista who had lost his last fight previous and was 14-1-1, Leon Spinks who while a fine amateur was 6-0-1 and got the shot and beat Ali, Jean pierre coopman 24-3-0, Jimmy Young 17-4-2 and Richard Dunn 33-9-0 where 3 opponents in a row for the Greatest so as much as Frazier who would have easily been beaten by Vital helped make Ali, and Foreman who would have been a tough fight but not used to been the smaller man i would edge it to Vitali.

you could plonk Vitali into any Era and he at least would be a top challenger-To me he would have been the No, 1 in any Era but at least a major challenger it has to be said even if you're not a fan of Vitali

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    I'm not saying Lewis is a coward but i think he knew that a rematch would leave him KO'D.

How did he know this? I don't buy it at all. Ali never gave Foreman a rematch either, and seriously, who can blame him or Lewis? Both are warriors, were aged, fading, Lewis even more so, and both were worthy winners first time.

So Lewis at what, 38 or so after a long career with some real tough fights, and a real real tough one at the very end against a young and big and talented man, decides to call it a day rather than go through another real tough fight that maybe he could lose against a man he has just beaten. That is not a coward. That makes perfect sense, JUST like those who claim Klit made perfect sense in quitting against Byrd.

So Lewis at what, 38 or so after a long career with some real tough fights, and a real real tough one at the very end against a young and big and talented man, decides to call it a day rather than go through another real tough fight that maybe he could lose against a man he has just beaten. That is not a coward. That makes perfect sense,.

He offered the Rematch as he knew he got lucky and the fans wanted it, then he got home and said no way am i going to get in there again and lose.

That was cowardly.

When did he offer a rematch? In the ring at post fight interview?

Lewis had nothing to prove. He beat Klit. And, had Lewis been younger and more in shape she would have beaten him more clearly.

When did he offer a rematch? In the ring at post fight interview?

Lewis had nothing to prove. He beat Klit. And, had Lewis been younger and more in shape she would have beaten him more clearly.

He was bashed about 4 rounds to 2,

more clearly! Cuts are freak occurances, this BS about Lewis been badly faded is way off, he simply had never been in a fight at that pace and that's the main reason why he was tiring, Without the cut which is luck then Vitali would have easily won that fight, Even with vision impaired he was winning the fight.

Vitali is/was and always will be a better fighter than Lewis, his higher ko rate and never been Ko'd push him even further ahead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dietsquirt wrote: »

How could you possibly think he lost that???

How does this post even make sense? He lost it because lewis opened a cut, worked on that cut and vitali was deemed unfit to fight on, that is how he lost it. He may have wanted to fight on but to do so could have ended his career.

How does this post even make sense? He lost it because lewis opened a cut, worked on that cut and vitali was deemed unfit to fight on, that is how he lost it. He may have wanted to fight on but to do so could have ended his career.

his answer was to "he clearly lost the fight" which sounds more like he was been clearly bet which is false-factually yes he won the fight, but at no stage was he winning the fight till the ref stopped it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

In fairness, that piece is put together to make lewis look as bad as possible and to make vitali look as good as possible. Much fairer to link to the whole fight so people can judge for themselves. In my view Vitaly WAS up on the scorecards but lewis was coming back into the fight. It was probably 4-2 to Vitali at the time of the stoppage, possibly even 3-3 so hardly like Vitali was cruising to a shut-out if it wasn't for an unfortunate cut. The fight was still live at the time of the stoppage so while there are still question marks, I wouldn't subscribe to the thinking that Vitali was nailed on to win the fight if it had not been stopped when it was.

3-3 are you having a laugh?!!!!!
    And it was LEWIS WHO WAS FADING WORSE.

3-3 are you having a laugh?!!!!!
    And it was LEWIS WHO WAS FADING WORSE.

I would have given it 4-2 (with lewis getting the 3rd and 6th) as I said, But only 3 of the 4 I would score as CLEAR rounds for vitali. You say lewis was fading worse, but I gave the 6th (and final) round to lewis. And having watched it there, I don't see any evidence that lewis was any more tanked than Vitali when the fight was stopped. Vitali spends the last 20 seconds of the round falling all over lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

No i disagree completely that lewis was coming back into the fight, he was horribly gassed. If it wasnt for the cut he would have lost but lewis still won none the less.

No i disagree completely that lewis was coming back into the fight, he was horribly gassed. If it wasnt for the cut he would have lost but lewis still won none the less.

Lewis was definitely gassed alright, but so was vitali. He was doing every bit as much holding and leaning as Lewis was. Who did you give the final round to, out of interest?

I don't disagree that Lewis was gassing, but folks need to assess both men equally and look at the state of both men as rd 6 closed. Vitali also looked real jaded. So, in saying this how can you know that Lewis would have lost had there been no cut?

I don't disagree that Lewis was gassing, but folks need to assess both men equally and look at the state of both men as rd 6 closed. Vitali also looked real jaded. So, in saying this how can you know that Lewis would have lost had there been no cut?

He was 4 rounds down, even if they where both gassed it would have been extremely hard to catch that up when your tired-Vitali was less gassed in my opinion but as i said even if they where equally gassed then odds are it would have just been like the 1st 6 only for slower.

He was 4 rounds down, even if they where both gassed it would have been extremely hard to catch that up when your tired-Vitali was less gassed in my opinion but as i said even if they where equally gassed then odds are it would have just been like the 1st 6 only for slower.

That is a hell of a presumption. 4 rds down? What were the official scores? I don't recall him being 4 rds down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Maybe on your card, but the judges had him just 2 rounds down.
    It was a close fight and, Lewis clearly wasn't in peak condition physically (whether he was otherwise past it or not is questionable) and was starting to gas quite badly. But then again so was Vitali and it's no surprise with two men of that size setting a tremendous fight and creating a brilliant fight. I think Lewis was definitely the more tired of the two, but he seemed to be establishing himself in the fight after a slow fight, and Vitali if he would of been allowed to fight on would have had to deal with that horrible gash obstructing his vision.

Overall I think it was 50/50 who would go on to win the fight, and hence why it's so talked about on internet forums. I don't think the scorecards would of mattered as with both men tiring but still landed big hard shots, we'd have got a conclusive outcome as a result of a stoppage (I suppose we did, but not in the way intended) and if my hand was forced I think Lewis would of been the one to get Vitali out of there, but it really could of gone either way.

In peak physical condition I believe Lewis gets the better of him. Vitali lost the first fight fair and square, okay he's somewhat unlucky but people talking about Vitali winning the event I find funny. Santos Pakau won the event (and the crowds heart) in his fight with Paul Williams....see how that went for him. I believe Vitali was pretty much close to prime or even in his prime when he fought Lewis and I'm kinda surprised people have described him as being 'green' for this fight. With Lewis at his heaviest weight, half a stone heavier than when he fought Tyson and 10 lbs heavier than the Rahman rematch I don't think you can say he was in top condition, whether you believe he was far removed from his prime or not.

No doubt Vitali Klitschko is a top Heavyweight and would of been a tough contender in any era, but for me he definitely isn't #1 and is behind one of the two man to have bested him (No not Chris Byrd :p). I don't think the current version of him is that great really, but easily enough to deal with most of today's contenders. The version that lost to Lewis and beat Johnson, Sanders and Williams was a phenomenal fighter and a tough match up for anyone ever.

• Advertisement

That is a hell of a presumption. 4 rds down? What were the official scores? I don't recall him being 4 rds down.

sorry i meant 4-2 and would have ended 4 down if the last 6 was the same, was worded wrong.

Point still stands, winning 4-6 is a lot when you think of it..

Advertisement