Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitali Klitschko,the Greatest Heavyweight Champion of all Time ?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

I think there are many that would whisper that he is the greatest of all time including this commentator below. However, there are many more that would not rate him. There are many American publications that would not even mention Vitali as a top 100 fighter. I wonder if he was American ,would that opinion differ...

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/11/vitali-klitschko-the-greatest-heavyweight-champion-of-all-time-pt-1/

Apparently Vitali is set to fight his last fight in september at the age of 41. He has been heavily involved in politics in the Ukraine for the last number of years. His last fight will be in the Ukraine .His first ever fight in the Ukraine!
    I don't think many will appreciate the talent of Vitali until years after he is gone.

Many will argue that Pele was the greatest soccer player of all time , like they will argue that Ali was the greatest boxer of all time. I would answer he was the greatest player for his time, . Pele and Messi would have been of similar stature . Everything else is in considerable favour of Messi , strength and conditoning , ( Messi is training against defenders who are bigger and better conditioned etc)

Would a fighter with the skills and enormous physical adavantage of Vitali Klitschko has trouble with fighters from a sport 50 years ago, would messi have had more or less difficulty unlocking defenses in the 60's...

I think it will take twenty years before people will whisper in public that Vitali was the greatest ever. I think it will take 100 years before anyone in America will concede that Ali can not be the greatest for ever...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The greatest? That's a big claim, he's one of the greatest, in the top 10 i reckon. He'd smash up a good few previous champions i can think of, but he cant be called the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The greatest? That's a big claim, he's one of the greatest, in the top 10 i reckon. He'd smash up a good few previous champions i can think of, but he cant be called the greatest.

It is a big claim but it is certainly fair to say that he should be considered in the small group of men who could lay claim to this tag-the fact some people are going as far as mentioning him as 1 of the greatest shows how far their popularity is spreading. For me he's possibly the hardest heavyweight to beat and could be the greatest.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

He is my very favourite HW. He has never actually lost a fight. Love his style. I hope he quits at the right time. I'd hate to see him or Wlad become the HW version of RJJ.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

He should get a lot of credit for remaining so good 35+. Look at Ali for example, he fell apart in his latter years.

He should get a lot of credit for remaining so good 35+. Look at Ali for example, he fell apart in his latter years.

He had early onset of Parkinson's when he had his last couple of bouts.
    Plus with the knowledge of diet and training and rest and recovery it's not comparable.

• Advertisement

He's probably physically the biggest heavyweight champion i can think of, what height is he, 6' 8'' or something? He'd take a prime Tyson to the cleaners if you ask me, Tyson was a very short man for a HW, i cant think of a fighter he fought that was as big as Klitschko or as skilled.

Maybe big george would stack up against him, the George that fought Frazier. That Foreman was one of the most devastating fighters of all time, he went through opponent after opponent. And physically he was a monster, still not as big as Vitali though.... I'm struggling to think of a fighter that could have beaten him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

He's probably physically the biggest heavyweight champion i can think of, what height is he, 6' 8'' or something? He'd take a prime Tyson to the cleaners if you ask me, Tyson was a very short man for a HW, i cant think of a fighter he fought that was as big as Klitschko or as skilled.

Maybe big george would stack up against him, the George that fought Frazier. That Foreman was one of the most devastating fighters of all time, he went through opponent after opponent. And physically he was a monster, still not as big as Vitali though.... I'm struggling to think of a fighter that could have beaten him.

While his physical attributes would have made him a tough match for any fighter it's hard to put him on a list of greatest ever when you look at the level of opposition. Who is the best name on his resume? Certainly nobody of the stature of a Frazier or a prime foreman. While you have to give him great credit for always getting the job done, while rarely being tested, it's a great shame for the boxing public and for vitali that he never got to test himself against the very best.

I think he'd hammer Frazier into the ground to be honest, Vitalli would outpoint him if it went the distance with that jab of his and the only way he could possibly knock klitschko out is with one of those wild left hooks of his, he's physically too big a man for frazier imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Of course he beats Frazier. Look how Joe Struggled against Foreman, and Klit is even bigger than him! Vitali is definitely top 5. I dont think you could legitimately straight out say why any fighter would beat him. Ali has a chance, Foreman has a chance. I think there are a hell of a lot of so called top 10 fighters like Marciano, Frasier and Tyson that Vitali would disect fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cowzerp wrote: »
    He had early onset of Alzheimer's when he had his last couple of bouts.

You mean Parkinsons disease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

walshb wrote: »
    He had early onset of Alzheimer's when he had his last couple of bouts.

You mean Parkinsons disease?

Hahahaha

I tend to mix up parkinsons and Alzheimers quite a bit as well.

I tend to mix up parkinsons and Alzheimers quite a bit as well.

They are similar diseases, so it's of little suprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Didn't we have this thread (or one very similar to it) recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

kryogen wrote: »

Its a regular occurrence on the boxing forum. Comparing boxers across generations is de rigueur.

There's probably five threads just worded differently discussing this topic!

Vitali is a tough match for anyone

I would say his toughest fights would be vs. Tyson and Foreman, peak versions of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Vitali is damn good, but I rate Wlad higher.

Head to head he is a match for anyone, ever, but era for era I would have him maybe top 10 heavies of all time, not top 5 though.

Head to head he is a match for anyone, ever, but era for era I would have him maybe top 10 heavies of all time, not top 5 though.

I rate Lennox Lewis higher than both brothers btw, before somebody calls me a Klitschko nuthugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭twinytwo

is he though??... its like when tyson was bobbing around, there is such a lack of competition.The only half decent boxer he fought was lewis and lewis beat him. The fact he is still around at 40 just shows how bad the heavyweight pool is.

minty16 wrote: »
    Hahahaha

very mature :o

And they just happen to be the most used threads so it is all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

What's up with people saying they're struggling to name a fighter that would beat Vitali?

Wlad, for one, would

Lennox, in his last ever fight, ripped half his face off! Prime Lewis does the exact same

Former middleweight Chris Bird beat him. Ok, there was definitely luck involved with the injury, but he was making Vitali look foolish at times, I image Ali and Holmes sweeping wide decisions

Tyson batters his body, that combination of explosive speed, power and head movement would leave Vit dumbfounded, though it would be a good fight

Vitali is a very good fighter, but he's definitely not the best, and nowhere near being the greatest.

And actually, how many ranked contenders has Vitali beaten? I assume the number way lower than most other heavyweights people would rank in their top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely he should have to fight the 2nd best fighter (assuming we're givign Vitali the no1 spot) thats around at the same time as him before he can start to be named with the true greats?

Fair enough he can only beat whats in front of him but to the layman the only one on his list of fights that would also be held in the same bracket is Lewis, and he lost to him. Ali is known by everyone, boxing fans or not and most people could name a few big name fighters he fought. Will the same be said of Vitali? Sure in a few years , most people with a casual interst in boxing will probably be only able to name the 2 Klitchko's and David Haye as being the top fighters (most famous) in 2012 and between those 3 they havnt all fought each other.

Fair enough he can only beat whats in front of him but to the layman the only one on his list of fights that would also be held in the same bracket is Lewis, and he lost to him. Ali is known by everyone, boxing fans or not and most people could name a few big name fighters he fought. Will the same be said of Vitali? Sure in a few years , most people with a casual interst in boxing will probably be only able to name the 2 Klitchko's and David Haye as being the top fighters (most famous) in 2012 and between those 3 they havnt all fought each other.

Ali's era, Boxing was huge-Boxing right now while does good figures is far from a mainstream sport-your nopt comparing like with like, Vitali in that era would beat most if not all of them and that's what i base my opinion on.

Ali's era, Boxing was huge-Boxing right now while does good figures is far from a mainstream sport-your nopt comparing like with like, Vitali in that era would beat most if not all of them and that's what i base my opinion on.

He hasnt even beat (or fought) the rest in his own era though.

He hasnt even beat (or fought) the rest in his own era though.

he fights all comers, Nobody would say otherwise, If your talking about his brother that is not fair to even expect-It's well known that he is well avoided and is always available to fight anyone bar his bro.

I honestly challenge anyone to name 5 fighters who would beat prime Vitali head to head. And don´t give me any of that Chris Byrd crap.

Lennox Lewis beats him IMO. Apart from him I´m stumped.

Prime Wlad - maybe.
    Prime Ali - doubt it. Ali never fought anyone even near Vitali´s size. Doesn´t have the power to KO him and won´t be able to outjab Vitali who is 5 inches taller.
    Prime Foreman - interesting fight but I think Vitali by UD. Foreman beat everyone because he bullied them around the ring. All of a sudden he is the smaller man.
    Prime Frazier - one of the most overrated fighters ever. Gets destroyed ala Herbie Hide.
    Sonny Liston - quits on his stool after getting beaten to a pulp from range.
    Tyson - interesting as well. Could go either way but I think Vitali by UD. Tyson can´t KO him early due to his chin, gets frustrated and loses by UD or quits late on.
    Riddick Bowe - has a good chance as well but I feel Vitali would bully him and Bowe loses it mentally.

No point in going back any earlier than the 60´s; opponents too small.

So apart from Lewis, Tyson, Bowe, Wlad and Foreman have the best chance IMO. That said, I pick Vitali by a small margin over all of them.

BTW I don´t rate heavyweights in how they would fare head tio head. I rate them by era.

I had a good think about it and i reckon Ali beats him, he's way too fast for vitalli, i think he'd outpoint him by landing combo after combo on him, he wouldnt KO vitalli though.

A prime Holyfield would be another good match up for vitalli, 2 very technical boxers, would have been an interesting one to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Is Vitali the greatest heavyweight ever? Of course hes not.

And as for this hes never really been beat nonsense? Whether you like it or not hes been beaten twice. Once, Lennox punched him in the face till he was deemed unfit to continue. I don't care who was ahead or what you think may have happened or if you think there should have been a rematch. We can only deal in facts and the fact is there is an L beside Vitali's name for that fight. It wasn't some robbery. He was stopped.

Against Byrd he basically quit. He was cruising in that fight. Just had to stay on his feet to win easily. Fair enough he got injured but there have been others with injuries who have fought on and not thrown in the towel in a fight they had in the bag.

he fights all comers, Nobody would say otherwise, If your talking about his brother that is not fair to even expect-It's well known that he is well avoided and is always available to fight anyone bar his bro.

They both chose to be heavyweight fighters and are both on top of their game. It's just tought that they are brothers. What other excuse would be ok for someone to duck the next best fighter for their whole career and keep their belt(s)?

• Advertisement

Is Vitali the greatest heavyweight ever? Of course hes not.

And as for this hes never really been beat nonsense? Whether you like it or not hes been beaten twice. Once, Lennox punched him in the face till he was deemed unfit to continue. I don't care who was ahead or what you think may have happened or if you think there should have been a rematch. We can only deal in facts and the fact is there is an L beside Vitali's name for that fight. It wasn't some robbery. He was stopped.

Against Byrd he basically quit. He was cruising in that fight. Just had to stay on his feet to win easily. Fair enough he got injured but there have been others with injuries who have fought on and not thrown in the towel in a fight they had in the bag.

Quitting against Byrd turned out to be an excellent decision. If he continued he risked ruining his shoulder permanently and his whoile career would be over just for one fight. Instead he lived to fight another day and went on to have a great career.

It shows he actually has a brain and an ability to think for himself. Besides, everyone knows he was kicking Byrd´s ass until he hurt his shoulder.

Advertisement