Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mine came in a regular monitor box selotaped closed presumably by customs.
    It's a bit big, but wouldn't be much of a problem to carry, just awkward I'd imagine loading it into a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I remember reading about these monitors a few months ago, completely forgot about them until now.

Can anyone tell me the best place to order one of these(or three I should say)

I quickly read though the thread but there is a lot of posts and it seems green-sum on ebay may be the way to go. Don't really care about the refresh speed at the moment. If 120hz.net get the pcbs I would just replace them later.

I must say that an IPS at this price with this resolution is killer and I know it's sometimes a gamble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So I'm having eye strain with this monitor. The problem has nothing to with the monitor but my eye sight, I had experienced this before with large monitors. I even posted about it recently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79176795&postcount=7

I had put it down to poor monitor quality but it's not the case as this monitor has amazing picture quality.

Really pissed off, I don't know if my eyes will adjust to it. I seem to be the only one on here with this problem.

There may be one of these monitors on adverts.ie soon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

tuxy wrote: »
    So I'm having eye strain with this monitor. The problem has nothing to with the monitor but my eye sight, I had experienced this before with large monitors. I even posted about it recently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79176795&postcount=7

I had put it down to poor monitor quality but it's not the case as this monitor has amazing picture quality.

Really pissed off, I don't know if my eyes will adjust to it. I seem to be the only one on here with this problem.

There may be one of these monitors on adverts.ie soon.....

I''ll take it!!

Joking aside(although I wasn't joking) How far are you from the screen as you mentioned that you may not have enough room on the desk, if you can move the monitor back at all or distance yourself from it that may help.

or...

The eyestrain could be caused by being to far and you are trying to focus too often. Do you wear glasses at all.

Do you generally get eye strain with normal monitors after periods of time or is it just large(high res monitors) that cause it.

Hah, well the good news is I shouldn't have any problem selling it :)

I think the problem is large high res monitors. One of my eyes is short sighted.
    I just realised I compensated for that by moving monitors fairly close to my face.
    If I move the monitor back I can't focus on it correctly, if I move it close to my face the large screen area is too bright and hurts my eyes.
    I have mostly used 21" or smaller monitors up until this and have never had any problems even after 10 hours continuous use.

I should probably wear glasses but it causes me no problems in day to day stuff so I'd rather not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well if you only need them for the monitor.. no harm in getting a pair of specs :)

if you're worried about the looks of glasses, its not like you're gona be walking around a pub carrying your 27"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey Guys,

I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of who people were buying them off, price , how they got on with customs etc.

So i did a quick breeze through the thread and have made the following

Catleap Club Boards

Could people please add the missing info if I've missed it (or correct any stuff i have wrong)

At the moment, unless he got hit for customs, Redisle's Shiman from DreamSeller @ €233 is the cheapest so far.

The cheapest confirmed price is Fiddlex's catleap from green sum @ €282 inc customs

The only confirmed case of Dead Pixels seems to be /\/ollog's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Hey Guys,

I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of who people were buying them off, price , how they got on with customs etc.

So i did a quick breeze through the thread and have made the following

Catleap Club Boards

Could people please add the missing info if I've missed it (or correct any stuff i have wrong)

At the moment, unless he got hit for customs, Redisle's Shiman from DreamSeller @ €233 is the cheapest so far.

The cheapest confirmed price is Fiddlex's catleap from green sum @ €282 inc customs

Looks good, but I don't have one of these monitors! :P I'm just really enthusiastic about getting people to buy them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Looks good, but I don't have one of these monitors! :P I'm just really enthusiastic about getting people to buy them :P

:D I saw your post about 27" being really big, but i only see now you said you got a Dell!

I'll remove ya

well if you only need them for the monitor.. no harm in getting a pair of specs :)

if you're worried about the looks of glasses, its not like you're gona be walking around a pub carrying your 27"

Yeah I really should get a pair. It could also be that I am sensitive to back light flicker.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

My eye strain is actually not as bad when I turn brightness up to the last like that article describes. Of course that much brightness is uncomfortable in other ways.

I'm fairly sure I will sell, it's not worth the pain :(

• Advertisement

sucks :(

if you wanna trade it for 30 or so mega drive games and a console, gimme a pm :p

on the plus side, now you can check out a 120hz monitor like tar was reccomending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Yeah I really should get a pair. It could also be that I am sensitive to back light flicker.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

My eye strain is actually not as bad when I turn brightness up to the last like that article describes. Of course that much brightness is uncomfortable in other ways.

I'm fairly sure I will sell, it's not worth the pain :(
    let me know what price you're looking for.

for some unknown reason I want a second one. it won't even fit on my desk..

Back bleed is actually bad :(

Would this be considered excessive back bleed?

It's not as bad as this most the time, the camera really shows it up.

Should I contact the seller since the adverts said they would check for it.
    is that a patch of dead pixels in the upper centre?

the bleed is pretty terrible :(

Yeah it sucks, I was really blown away by how much extra vivid detail I could see in games with this monitor. :(:(

I know peripheral vision is much more sensitive to refresh rates. So because of the monitors size some of the view will always be in my peripheral vision.

I will post a link to my advert when I have it set up, would that be breaking any if this forums rules?

probably best to put a link to it in the 'selling personal gear' sticky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Is it possible, or likely to be possible in the future, to increase the speed of the Dell U2711's nearer 120Hz? They have a nice build quality, there can be no arguing with that, but the price difference is incredible.

If the Catleaps can get to 120Hz, could they be used for 3D gaming, or is that something entirely different?

afaik, yes they could

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

afaik, yes they could

Are you saying yes to the Catleaps being used for 3D gaming, or the Dell's being able to be increased in speed?

the catleaps, provided you get one that can do 120hz which isn't exactly easy

pretty sure all thats needed for 3d is the 120hz and the glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

lol, really?
    I thought at least someone else would have had dead pixels. :(
    Sums up my luck with this purchase completely though.

Beautiful screen though.

• Advertisement

pretty sure a fwe others had dead pixels, but no one came close to the amount you had

did you hear anything back after you emailed them again?

It's up on adverts now.
    At least I have learnt from it and will be better at picking monitors that will work for me in the future. So disappointed though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,928 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What has put me off this monitor is what happens if there's a fault? Sending all the way back to Korea is just to much hassle

some sellers will pay postage within the first 30 days if there is a fault or might offer the option of a partial refund and you get to keep the monitor, depending on the fault

other than that, it's a 27" ips for around 300 euro.. risks must be taken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Very tempted to get one of these but can someone tell me are the screens glossy or matte type?
    I'm looking at the eBay descriptions and they don't say.
    I'd much prefer a matte 27" screen if possible, I've never liked glossy screens.

they're generally glossy although there are one or two with tempered glass or matte coatings as well

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Thanks Tuxy, the monitor is Fantastic!!!!!

if anyone is on the fence.... jump for one...

My GPU 8800GTX, just about plays COD. but what the heck, photos look superb.

I just calibrated this Potalion with a cal spider.
    Profile attached to this post as a .zip file.

Cheers

awesome, thanks :)

how do I use this...

--edit
    ah, like this ?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5823-display-color-calibration.html

And one important thing to mention...
    These monitors are set to max luminance (brightness) out of the box, which is far too bright. I've noticed this on other monitors too, for some reason manufacturers think this is wise!

The calibration tool I used (Pantone Eye One Match) recommends 120 cd/m2 luminance for LCD, my monitor was over 200 when first tested.
    So I had to notch it back a fair bit before it passed.

To do this without OSD (On Screen Display) can be tricky, but here is rough and ready way... reduce the brightness to minimum, then notch it up 10 taps. That should be close to 120 cd/m2 (not exact but way better than the default setting).

This should help with backlight bleed, my monitor has some bleed but setting the luminance to 120 soon made it hard to detect.

My overall view is that these monitors are exceptional value and well worth the effort involved in getting a perfect pixel version from Korea.
    I'm blown away by the color accuracy, detail, desktop space and viewing angle these panels provide.

I hope your experience is as good as mine:)
    Cheers.
    Trackerman

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a sutiable table mounted bracket for these panels?
    The supplied stand is "ok" but I'd like to get a better adjustable mount for it.

Cheers...

Advertisement