Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Where would one order if they wanted one of those 120hz OCed ones? linklink! Probably cant get one for ageeees though. I really want an IPS and I cant go back under 120hz, does it cost much more?

damn you for getting me back in here digby! :P

120hz.net would be the place to look I think

they got some oc'able versions made but i'd imagine they're very expensive and they're so in demand that I think whenever they become available in batches they sell out in no time at all. won't be easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I don't think you can run one of these from a macbook air though

Really? Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I don't think laptops have dual-link DVI ports..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

All of the eBay pages say that laptops aren't supported, and I don't think a MacBook air would be able to run at 1440p very smoothly! That's driving like 4 million more pixels than the regular screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MB571Z/A

There might be hope for Mac books, €100 though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Hi all.

I've just spent about €1400 on a new rig, with decent specs.
    GPU is Asus GTX550ti, not the highest end by any stretch but I'll upgrade in a year or two anyway.

So I've been searching the interweb for a decent monitor to get the best out of this new rig and got to tell you I'm doing my nut. TN or IPS, fast vs slower response times, highly rated (Asus p238q) but ugly as sin vs pretty but not as good (Samsung s24b750). Dell? Phillips? Aaaargh.
    So I happen across this thread and these screens and my interest is perked up.
    27" is enormous, way bigger than my current 6yo Dell 20" and not something I had considered, due to size and ridiculous price. But....you lot seem to be very keen on them. They looks good, have a glorious screen, and I'm assuming most of you are gamers?
    I play everything, fps and rpg mostly. I've been saving Skyrim for my new build and screen.

So what are these things like for gaming?
    Does up to 5 dead pixels matter?
    How much customs gets added typically, and I'm assuming some of you have got the vendor to put *ahem* on the shipping.
    Are there reliability issues for anyone so far?
    Thanks lads! (in the non gender specific application)

I got a "perfect pixel" potalion from bigclothcraft and it came with 0 dead pixels

I dont know if that's guaranteed though, maybe I was just lucky.

with the amount of pixels on these monitors I doubt you'd notice 5 tbh, unless they were clustered together real close or you were focused on finding them

you can get a bit of backlight bleed, but that's a common issue with lcd screens not just IPS. Mine has a bit on the bottom that I (1) only notice at nighttime (2) only notice if i'm looking for it, or not actually doing anything. if im playing a game, im focused on the game and not the screen. i dont know what it'd be like for a dark movie, maybe it'd get kind of annoying.. but considering you can get that with large tv's as well.. I dont know if i'd consider it a fault of the monitor.. more the technology

the response times.. i dont know. you see people saying it matters, you see people saying that it doesnt matter.
    the monitors with the multiple inputs have more lag than the ones with just the dvi.. but honestly unless you're a pro gamer I doubt you'd notice it or even if you noticed it a bit i doubt it'd have a huge effect on your game. for rpg's, rts, racing, etc etc.. it'd be fantastic. I was worried about the size of the screen for starcraft 2.. not a problem at all. i'm waiting for my new gfx card to be delivered before I try skyrim but I imagine I'll have to head to the hospital to be treated for priapism once I do.

mine came to 288 and I got charged 22 euro or thereabouts for customs, it went from korea-ireland wednesday-friday. but because customs delayed it I didnt get it until monday.

sellers have different policies for returns. some will cover the cost of shipping for the first 30 days, one of them (accesorieswhole) i think will cover shipping for a fault for a long time but that might only be for one or two specific models they are selling. dont take any of this as gospel, study the seller pages and email them to ask specifics before you order if you're worried about it.

they are amazing screens. the main problem would be the backlight bleeding if you get unlucky with it as unless it's absolutely terrible I dont think you'll have any luck at all getting a refund/return for that.. might be wrong there but I think it's just accepted as a danger of these types of screens.

--edit

oh you'll need a big enough desk too. I have to keep mine on a second stand that's flush with my desk as if I put it on my desk it's just too close .. one of my games even made me panicky/anxious which i can only put down to how close my face was to the screen while I was playing.

Thanks!
    I have seen the potalion, and TBH I don't care for the thick bezel on it.
    I think the Yamakasi one looks sleeker, thinner I suppose, like the newer Samsung TVs. My Sammy D7000 has ruined me for other screens, and I now can't abide big thick bezels! Stupid I know.

well there's no difference in the screens afaik, the only differences are the actual build of the monitor and the stands so really that's all you can make your decision on :)

well that and the price, the potalions were the cheapest I saw.. probably because they wern't being bought at the same rate as the catleaps/crossovers/shimians

--edit

just googled the d7000.. damn that's pretty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Green-sum hasn't replied or acknowledged my email yet.
    It's strange because he's pretty quick to answer on ebay itself.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Hey, just in general I find ebay sellers take an age, if ever, to repond to emails outside of ebay, especially big sellers.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Open a PayPal dispute, I personally think it is the route to go down even if he was replying. "item not as described "

You don't need to escalate it yet, first step is basically letting PayPal know there is a problem and to give green sum an opportunity to fix it.

If I was in your position I would accept nothing less than a fully paid for replacement and for you to not have to pay for shipping to return the other one

Mine is with customs at the moment

With any luck I'll have it by the weekend!

One thing that worries me is im not sure does DHL have my number, I dont know was it part of my address! I dont see it on the ebay delivery details. Should i ring DHL and tell them?

The DHL driver in Athlone knows who I am but he keeps delivering stuff to my Granny's house, which is normally grand but not if there is money owed on it!

no harm to ring them tbh, I rang them to ask about my delivery and they were easy to deal with

mine was with customs for a day, got in 8am friday and was released 9pm friday and was delivered the following monday so if yours is in customs today you'll likely have it by tomorrow all going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Guys, are these the same monitors you are talking about?

Iiyama_27.png

These are from Komplett http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/zkb_04rand/16_monitor/default.aspx. Which one would you recommend of these 3?

Also, can I connect a new MacBook Air, and what ThunderBolt cable will I need?

no they're different monitors, their max res is 1920x1080 the koreans go to 2560x1440

outside of that I dont know anything about those monitors..

Yeah i rang them and somehow or somewhere did have a number for it :)

As you said , they are very easy to deal with. No queues to wait to talk to a rep. Its getting bad that im surprised when i get talking to a person with such ease!

Did you have to provide anything to customs?

nope, didnt have to send them anything just had to give the driver 22 euro and change when he dropped it out

i got a text from dhl the monday morning saying I could pay by visa/debit if I wanted to either.

I dont know how to came to that conclusion but my Duty is €55, bringing me to almost €300 on the button. She said it would be delivered by lunch time :)

id love to know how they're getting such wildly different figures for the duty

• Advertisement

No idea. I'll see what green sum put on my invoice when i get home later. I guess there should be a vat invoice too

Its funny, when i was buying the thing I said I'd risk non pixel perfect, but i probably would pay the extra money now before opening the box :P

i doubt a few pixels dead or stuck will be much of an issue anyway, be sure and let us know when it gets dark what your backlight bleed is like.

oh and when you get it, turn the brightness down.. they set it up near max by default and it hurts to look at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

I dont know how to came to that conclusion but my Duty is €55, bringing me to almost €300 on the button. She said it would be delivered by lunch time :)

Surely it's VAT @ 23% plus Import Duty.
    Duty can vary a lot depending on what the item is...

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-ireland/

These should be duty exempt according to revenues website, which I found weird?

Didihno wrote: »
    These should be duty exempt according to revenues website, which I found weird?

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Where did you see that?

From Trackermans link under "Duty Rates". Seems most electrical items are exempt from Import Duty.

I got myself a screen for my laptop back at christmas from Korea and after reading that link I thought I might be due for a refund of import duty but it seems the charge I paid was actually the 23% VAT on the product and no import duties, which is probably the same for this monitor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah that seems right, people seem to be paying very little on something so dear, I paid as much on a few tshirts.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    From Trackermans link under "Duty Rates". Seems most electrical items are exempt from Import Duty.

I got myself a screen for my laptop back at christmas from Korea and after reading that link I thought I might be due for a refund of import duty but it seems the charge I paid was actually the 23% VAT on the product and no import duties, which is probably the same for this monitor.
    Yup, on the official revenue site too, theres a 'calculator'

Did I mention I pressed the big button and ordered one?
    Its been a busy little parcel, Korea to China to Germany to France to ......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

So I am probably going to order one of these in the next two weeks. I would want pixel perfect. Where is the best place to order one of these?

Advertisement