Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Rebelski

More houses released yesterday in Castlepark, 3 Bed semi's and 4 Bed semi's, so looks like the estate is successful todate. Hope so, I've bought a house there too!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jammie01

Rebelski wrote: »
    More houses released yesterday in Castlepark, 3 Bed semi's and 4 Bed semi's, so looks like the estate is successful todate. Hope so, I've bought a house there too!:)

Was there any room for negotiation on the prices?

As previous posts showed, offers had to be made on the available houses by a certain timepoint, and if your bid was successful, you were informed the following week.

Doesn't look like there doing that with the 3 bed and 4 bed semi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sierra21

This is the e-mail - below - that was posted the day before yesterday to people who expressed interest. I think the prices compare very well with four bedroomed second hand houses in Maynooth and the finish is really good, plus the level of insulation is top class, so there would be savings on fuel bills. The solar panels heat water to a certain level also. I'm likely to buy there. There is a five thousand booking fee payable to Coonan's and ten percent to be paid on signing of contracts.

Dear All,

Just a note to update you in relation to Castlepark, to date we have over 33 sales in the development and in the order of 8 purchasers moved into their homes. It is a fantastic success story and in light of this Mason Homes Ltd have decided to release the next road of semi-detached houses to the market.

The houses to go on sale are 53 � 46 Castlepark Square (excluding 54), with prices at �265,000 for the 3 bedroom homes(approx. 1,230 sq.ft.) and �285,000(approx. 1,450 sq.ft.) for the four bedroom semi-detached.

Should you wish to purchase one of the above mentioned houses please contact us at the below mentioned number.

Showhomes remain open by appointment so should you wish to view same please do not hesitate in contacting us at 01 6286128 or info@coonan.com

Kind regards,

Will Coonan
    Coonan Real Estate Alliance, Property House, Main Street, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Thats the one. I have to agree, spec on the houses is excellent. With an A rated energy certification, you can't go wrong! Look at http://www.castleparkhomesmaynooth.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Surelite

anyone else here feel these posts sound fishy - sounds like EAs/developers???? :eek:

I was thinking that too! Like advertisements! :-)

I'm afraid not. I'm a Cork lad, who has lived in Kildare (Naas) for the last 8 years. Recently changed jobs, so this location was ideal for me and my wife. I don't know the EA or the builder, but I'm sure I'll get to know the latter as the house is built. I was just trying to share my experience so far. So if it helps you, there overpriced, poor value for money, the roofs look leaky, and the grass seed there putting in is soooooooooo 2011. As is your pessimism!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SolarisLem

So please answer the question posted by several posters, how is the builder on the price negotiation?

I'll leave that to someone else to answer. Its a little like asking someone what wages there on. Its personal. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Is it really fair to ask this question?

SolarisLem wrote: »
    So please answer the question posted by several posters, how is the builder on the price negotiation?

I am not in any way connected with the estate agent or builder. I work in Maynooth and sold my house in Dublin as I got tired of commuting. I've been looking for a house in Maynooth for about a year now and am considering Castlepark.

We bought one of the detached houses in the front row and are very happy with our decision. The finish has been of a very quality and no problems so far. Only time will tell if we overpaid but after sitting on the fence for 3 years we felt it was the right time for us to buy. We are fortunate in that we were able to get a mortgage and meet the repayments.
    In answer to all the conspiracy theories posted above; we have no connection to the builder, We live in the house and yes all the front row is sold.

How is your back garden for sunlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Not_too_bad

no negotiation on price and very good sunlight in back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

to be honest, you get 3 beds in lucan for lot lot less, may require some work but still, better resale in lucan than maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

no negotiation on price and very good sunlight in back garden

Isn't sunlight free?

TheDriver wrote: »
    to be honest, you get 3 beds in lucan for lot lot less, may require some work but still, better resale in lucan than maynooth

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SolarisLem

Well, nobody is asking for an exact price but if there is a room for negotiations. As to the privacy, this silliness will be done and dusted when the housing sold price database is running (september?).

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I would have thought all asking prices were negotiable - thats why they call them "asking prices". As a guideline we bought recently and 10% below asking seems to be a typical price to go sale agreed on. If you are making an offer, do bear that in mind. Of course some houses are overpriced and some are priced competitively, the only way you will no how reasonable an asking price is to compare it with other houses of similar size in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Why?

because people seem to want to buy in lucan more than maynooth. I could be wrong but thats the way it appears.

• Advertisement

Totally agree, its down to each persons situation and where best suits them. Sounds like Maynooth is popular too, hence the thread!

I have heard from a friend that someone got one of the front detached for 360k before the showhouses were open to the public but this could just be word of mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Fair play to them if they did
    Jammie01 wrote: »
    I have heard from a friend that someone got one of the front detached for 360k before the showhouses were open to the public but this could just be word of mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevint

I think you have to value these house based on their specific location, size, specifications etc and make the closet comparisons to local property. Personally I think they present a fair price when you consider the much higher spec and the very good specific location. Comparing to 3 bed's in Lucan is not relevant, and my personal experience having recently sold in Lucan after living there for 15 years is that it is definitely going downhill particularly in term of anti-social behaviour (and I lived in one of the supposedly better estates)!

I think that's a good point.
    Maynooth does have the advantage of being on the rail line, with very frequent trains in and out of Dublin.

Spoke with a Valuer today from Leixlip, said he hasn't seen an estate like Castlepark since 2007. He used to be an estate agent, but moved into valuations and energy assessments. Anyways, he said Castlepark is attracting huge interest, and houses are flying out the door. He said location is obviously good, but the value for money is whats working.

I don't think it's necessarily anything to brag about being the best estate since 2007 when everyone knows how bad build quality was in those bubble years!

The more I look at these houses the less impressed I am. The gardens are absolutely tiny and there is no scope whatsoever to extend in the future, the semi-ds are wedged together very tightly. Went for a look and as mentioned before the furniture used in the showhouses is deceptively smaller than average. For example the 4 bed Semi-detached sitting room would be completely cramped if you wanted a coffee table, and that's already with an extra small fireplace.

And the master ensuite upstairs is just not big enough- a very tight squeeze to walk around the (very small) double bed and nowhere to put a dressing table.

Take for example this house in parklands:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=659106&t_rd=1

already has an extra reception room off the hall and plenty of these houses extend upstairs and create a bigger bedroom or some extra space. Plus the asking price is lower than castlepark with I'd guess much more room for negotiation. Put in some triple glazed windows, update the decor and it could be much nicer and more spacious than castlepark.

The castlepark houses need to drop hugely IMHO just to compensate for the tiny gardens and lack of space to extend.

Edited to add I was talkin about the semi-detached in castlepark, not the detached.

When I referred to 2007, I wasn't talking about quality, I was talking about popularity. Big difference.

I see your point, and it is a good one. But it is slightly flawed. Your talking to a 4 bed detached in Castlepark, and yes some rooms are limited, but then you compare it to a 3/4 bed semi detached, an aged house, so your really not comparing like for like. Sitting room 16" by 11"? Not exactly a ballroom. Also, you wouldn't be able to gain A rated energy standard by just putting triple glazing in, so again, apples and oranges i'm afraid. And as for the back garden, well, let me know when Westlife are playing there comeback tour there.

But hey, go for it. Its down to individual taste, and if Castlepark is not for you, its not for you.

When I referred to 2007, I wasn't talking about quality, I was talking about popularity. Big difference.

I see your point, and it is a good one. But it is slightly flawed. Your talking to a 4 bed detached in Castlepark, and yes some rooms are limited, but then you compare it to a 3/4 bed semi detached, an aged house, so your really not comparing like for like. Sitting room 16" by 11"? Not exactly a ballroom. Also, you wouldn't be able to gain A rated energy standard by just putting triple glazing in, so again, apples and oranges i'm afraid. And as for the back garden, well, let me know when Westlife are playing there comeback tour there.

But hey, go for it. Its down to individual taste, and if Castlepark is not for you, its not for you.

You sure you're not trying to sell these houses rebelski? You're getting a little defensive so I sniff a vested interest. :-)

I'm actually comparing the four bed semi detached in castlepark to a four bed semi detached in parklands, the difference being that the parklands house has an extra reception room to the side, an asset that I don't think (in my opinion) can be compensated for by having an A BER rating.

I do think the four bed detached houses are amazing, but still need to come down a little in price. If I wanted to compare like for like with regards to the detached then maybe some of the larger houses in parklands would give it a run fist it's money.

I know you're saying that I can't compare old to new but really I think the castlepark homes are just too much of a difference in price. You could spend the money you saved by not buying these by extending and doing up one of the parklands/rockfield houses to your own taste and you woukd be secure in the fact you're buying in an already established estate. Just my two cents as ive been weighing up purchasing in Maynooth for quite a while.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that J01, and no, definately not trying to represent anyone on these exchanges. I enjoy your input, and you make huge sense in what your saying. Trust me, I've been doing the same for the last 12 months, but If I sound defensive, its probably because I love the estate, so much so I have bought there! Yes there on the expensive side, and it is a buyers market, so we shouldn't be paying through the roof. But the location for me is great, I like the layout and extras, and I think this will be our last purchase, so we'll make it a good one! Lifes short!

Best of luck to you

Advertisement