Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevint

I think you need to be objective when making comparisons with other similar properties rather than relying on anecdotal stories. For example the Castlepark 4 bed semis are 1450 sq/ft and 3 beds are 1320sq/ft while typical 4 bed semis are usually 1250sq/ft max (based on a previous stamp duty system) and 3 beds are typically 1100sq/ft max. Agree that the gardens are small, but they are typical of the size of garden that you will get in almost all such houses. Like Rebelski I am actually buying one of the houses here, and I have done a lot of research and looking over the past 3 years.
    The main reasons I have decided to buy here:
    1. Specific location - Quieter side of Maynooth away from student accommodation, 3 minutes walk to main street and easy access from Leixlip/ Dunboyne road. More generally I think Maynooth is a much better place to live than other suburban towns in the area - especially Lucan where I recently lived for 15 years.
    2. Specification - very high internal spec (doors, kitchen, bathrooms etc) and in particular the A-Rated energy which will be a great long term money saver (energy costs are only going upwards in the long term!!)
    3. Price - Price seems average when 1 and 2 above are not considered, but when you do take these in to account it certainly offers relative value for money.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents into the Castlpark debate....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jammie01

Yea I have to agree with you both on the location anyway. That side of Maynooth is definitely more attractive a position in my opinion, maybe thats where some of the price difference is coming from?

For me, if the 4 bed semis had another reception room/garage to the side of the front door or at least room to extend to create a playroom/study, then I'd be buying one first thing tomorrow morning! I'd put up with the small garden and other complaints if they had this, pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jammie01

Actually for those of you who have bought here or are in the process of buying here, did the builder give you any guarantee or assurance that the full estate will be built or did he offer a timeline? I see on the brochure's site plan that there's supposed to be a crèche built in the back as well? Could the builder just up sticks and down tools if things didn't work out for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Rebelski

No such guarantees, only that the estate seems to be popular as previously posted, and the next 'phase' of 4 and 3 bed semi's are now on sale. Also the creche is currently in the plans, but plans can change.

As for downing tools and moving on, not sure it makes good business sense while houses are selling? There are always risks.

I'm not aware of any such guarantee either. The developers strategy, is to build and sell in relatively small batches of about 10 houses - which makes obvious sense nowadays. So the development may take longer to fully complete but at least it won't risk becoming a ghost estate. I'd say the creche would be the last thing to be built - if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Sierra21

I've also just bought in Castlepark - 4 bed semi - having been looking in Maynooth for over a year. My reasons are location and the house appeals to me more than anything else i've seen. I did put in a bid on a 4 bed in the Arches. I think it eventually went around 320,000. It would have needed quite a bit of redecoration. Having bought a 1948 house in Dublin, twenty five years ago, I am very keen not to have a lot of work to do on a second-hand house. Having had a bigger garden, much of which I changed to patio, in my last house, I would certainly find the garden adequate and probably as much as I would want to maintain.

The houses in Castlepark are being sold from the plans, rather than being built and then sold, so I have no idea how long it will take to finish the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

Sierra21 wrote: »
    I've also just bought in Castlepark - 4 bed semi - having been looking in Maynooth for over a year. My reasons are location and the house appeals to me more than anything else i've seen. I did put in a bid on a 4 bed in the Arches. I think it eventually went around 320,000. It would have needed quite a bit of redecoration. Having bought a 1948 house in Dublin, twenty five years ago, I am very keen not to have a lot of work to do on a second-hand house. Having had a bigger garden, much of which I changed to patio, in my last house, I would certainly find the garden adequate and probably as much as I would want to maintain.

The houses in Castlepark are being sold from the plans, rather than being built and then sold, so I have no idea how long it will take to finish the estate.

Did they give you an expected finish date for your house? how long after purchase can you expect to move in?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sierra21

Six months is the suggested time.

Sierra21 wrote: »
    Six months is the suggested time.

Thanks Sierra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laguna02

High, I am interested in Castlepark and am thankful for the recent inputs from those who live there. Just one question, does the advertised house size include the as yet non converted attic space. The only reason I ask is that the only advertising that I can see states that the 4 bed S/D extends to approx 1,450 sq ft. Having been in the property it feels slightly cramped especially upstairs. Cannot find any advertising showing room sizes. Can anyone clear this up before I get my tape measure out.
    Detached also looks tight extending to 1930 Sq Ft, but the attic space which is floored and definitely shown as a selling feature could be included in the advertised overall size?

• Advertisement

House sizes quoted are excluding attic conversion. You can download the detailed plans from Kildare country council website which has all the room dimensions - I have done this already and found it very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laguna02

Kevint,

Many thanks will check out as suggested.

You can access the planning information at:
    http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/
    There are several planning numbers due to changes but try number 09219
    You will probably be asked to download and install some software to view the drawings / documments.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Recently moved to our new house in Castlepak and have to say really love it, looking forward to getting settled and meeting the neighbours, from thd posts above you all seem such a pleasant bunch !!

Dernipper, did it take long for your house to be built? And trust me, we're not so bad, our bark is worse than our bite!

Great site, thanks. More planning was submitted 06/06/2012.
    kevint wrote: »
    You can access the planning information at:
    http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/
    There are several planning numbers due to changes but try number 09219
    You will probably be asked to download and install some software to view the drawings / documments.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tellmesomethin

I had a relation of this builder call to my house in Maynooth because they heard through a friend we were looking to purchase here. I can tell you that 245 will buy you a 4 bed semi. I'm afraid some people here don't realize how bad things are and how bad they are going to get in the next 3 years. In any case i declined their approach that reeked of desperation as I don't want to live in a half finished estate for the next 8 years...

I had a relation of this builder call to my house in Maynooth because they heard through a friend we were looking to purchase here. I can tell you that 245 will buy you a 4 bed semi. I'm afraid some people here don't realize how bad things are and how bad they are going to get in the next 3 years. In any case i declined their approach that reeked of desperation as I don't want to live in a half finished estate for the next 8 years...

Really? I heard there is a relatively high demand for these houses. Any more details given by him?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yanqingliqici

Thanks for sharing this. This is quite interesting though - 245 for a 4 bed semi... we would definitely buy one if it is the case since these facing the Dunboyne road won't give us any feeling of living in a half finished estate...

Did the build indicate that it would take 8 more years to finish the whole development?

Many thanks...

Thanks for sharing this. This is quite interesting though - 245 for a 4 bed semi... we would definitely buy one if it is the case since these facing the Dunboyne road won't give us any feeling of living in a half finished estate...

Did the build indicate that it would take 8 more years to finish the whole development?

Many thanks...

I think all the houses facing the road have been sold. So it would be behind those houses facing the building site.

• Advertisement

In the region of 6 months,
    Rebelski wrote: »
    Dernipper, did it take long for your house to be built? And trust me, we're not so bad, our bark is worse than our bite!

Interesting and some food for thought, can I ask how you arrived at the 3 & 8 years figures?

No doubt those 3 and 8 year forecasts are based on thorough economic analysis.........

kevint wrote: »
    No doubt those 3 and 8 year forecasts are based on thorough economic analysis.........

Not really, but plugging that 18 or is it 19 billion in the next 3/4 budgets could hurt a little... just a guess so don't kill me if they don't hurt a little- just a crazy guess. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darkienero

did they really offer you the house for 245k?

I think all the houses facing the road have been sold. So it would be behind those houses facing the building site.

You would be facing someones house to the front and building materials to the rear.

I have since giving up the idea of living in a house stuck to another so it's a country house for me! :cool:

darkienero wrote: »
    did they really offer you the house for 245k?

They didn't offer it, you have to be prepared to walk away- builders will take your hand off if they can keep the banks off their backs for another month. 245k will suffice - I think the fact she was knocking on our door whom she doesn;t really know should tell you people something. Of course there are those beyond help and so you get people paying 700K for a semi detached house in a commuter town in a country on the edge of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darkienero

They didn't offer it, you have to be prepared to walk away- builders will take your hand off if they can keep the banks off their backs for another month. 245k will suffice - I think the fact she was knocking on our door whom she doesn;t really know should tell you people something. Of course there are those beyond help and so you get people paying 700K for a semi detached house in a commuter town in a country on the edge of Europe.
    Sorry yeah i didnt mean they offered it to you!
    Thats very interesting, might have a another look at these so! No way I'd pay anything near the asking price with such a small garden!

Thanks for the update tellm me whatever, but your post seems to be factless, and a little bit raving.. . . .. .

You've just mentioned no one has said 245K to you, so is this a figure you are coming up with yourself? If so, it just sounds like a shot in the dark, so i fail to see the relevance of your post.

"They didn't offer it, you have to be prepared to walk away- builders will take your hand off"

It just sounds like you were in no way inclined making a serious offer in this estate, because it looks like you can't back up your arguement by saying you even tried to negotiate with a builder?

There have been 33 houses sold to date. with another 10 in progess as we speak. If you look at earliar fact based posts, you will see where its actually one of the more popular estates in the country at the moment.

• Advertisement

Rebelski wrote: »
    Thanks for the update tellm me whatever, but your post seems to be factless, and a little bit raving.. . . .. .

You've just mentioned no one has said 245K to you, so is this a figure you are coming up with yourself? If so, it just sounds like a shot in the dark, so i fail to see the relevance of your post.

"They didn't offer it, you have to be prepared to walk away- builders will take your hand off"

It just sounds like you were in no way inclined making a serious offer in this estate, because it looks like you can't back up your arguement by saying you even tried to negotiate with a builder?

There have been 33 houses sold to date. with another 10 in progess as we speak. If you look at earliar fact based posts, you will see where its actually one of the more popular estates in the country at the moment.

You have bought a house now and so are a little emotional over prices continuing to fall. I on the other hand can be impartial and share my experience of offering 245k and having it accepted before opting for a house on an acre.

Sounds like you're going to have to live with your decision. Just let others take advantage of a very weak market.

Advertisement