Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SolarisLem

Why not rent? I rent a nice house in Parklands for 875 a month that roughly runs me 11 grand a year to live in. Now lets take the 4 bedder in Castlepark (and the asking price, which nobody in their right mind should pay in full!!!) and assume another (small for argument sake) fall in prices of lets just say 10%. 10% of 285 is 28.5. 28.5-11=17.5 that i have saved myself for not buying just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yanqingliqici

SolarisLem wrote: »
    Why not rent? I rent a nice house in Parklands for 875 a month that roughly runs me 11 grand a year to live in. Now lets take the 4 bedder in Castlepark (and the asking price, which nobody in their right mind should pay in full!!!) and assume another (small for argument sake) fall in prices of lets just say 10%. 10% of 285 is 28.5. 28.5-11=17.5 that i have saved myself for not buying just yet.

Is the difference really what you pay for the house? Yes, we have 17.5 per annum saved and the total amount we will save in 10 yrs is 175... By then, we cannot buy such a house(10 yrs old)...but if you buy it now, 10 yrs later, you will have a house - if you sell it, you will have some cash... > 175? Perhaps. ... ...

i am not saying don't buy ever, i will buy myself, but i am not rushing to catch a falling knife. If you buy a house for 285 today and in 10 years its value falls to 175 you are stuck paying mortgage on 285 for an asset worth 175... Out of curiosity i run amortization calculator (4% interest, 30 year loan) and in year ten your mortgage principal is 217 so you still in negative equity and if you want to sell than have to fork out for the difference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Rebelski

Folks,

A lot of good arguements being put forward on both sides, and of course people should look for value for money in everything they buy, you'd be mad not to. But we are not going to get something for nothing.

Bringing it back to Castlepark, its a popular site primarily due to location, but also because there a bloody nice house.

Outside of that, the supply of these houses is being controlled by planning release. Only 10 at a time are being released to market (for different reasons, not just the builders) and the demand is high for them. The last phase of 3 and 4 bed semi D's have sold out, and they have just been granted approval for the next 10 x 4 bed detached. Thats 45+ houses sold in this estate, which is outperforming any other estate in the country.

So its comes down to simple supply versus demand. If you dont want one, don't buy one. The fact people are on this thread in the first is that they too are interested in the estate, but are struggling when it comes to offer making.

PS: I have decided to pull out of Castlepark. I could live with the asking price shockers and non exsisting pyrite complaints, but once I heard about the acid rain yielding leprachauns that live under where the green is going to be....well enough was enough.......Not mentioning the ozone layer hole over the fishing ponds.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Any updates on the state of the fishing ponds !!!!!!!!!!
    Rebelski wrote: »
    Folks,

A lot of good arguements being put forward on both sides, and of course people should look for value for money in everything they buy, you'd be mad not to. But we are not going to get something for nothing.

Bringing it back to Castlepark, its a popular site primarily due to location, but also because there a bloody nice house.

Outside of that, the supply of these houses is being controlled by planning release. Only 10 at a time are being released to market (for different reasons, not just the builders) and the demand is high for them. The last phase of 3 and 4 bed semi D's have sold out, and they have just been granted approval for the next 10 x 4 bed detached. Thats 45+ houses sold in this estate, which is outperforming any other estate in the country.

So its comes down to simple supply versus demand. If you dont want one, don't buy one. The fact people are on this thread in the first is that they too are interested in the estate, but are struggling when it comes to offer making.

PS: I have decided to pull out of Castlepark. I could live with the asking price shockers and non exsisting pyrite complaints, but once I heard about the acid rain yielding leprachauns that live under where the green is going to be....well enough was enough.......Not mentioning the ozone layer hole over the fishing ponds.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dernipper wrote: »
    Any updates on the state of the fishing ponds !!!!!!!!!!

Lol, no I'm afraid, and no sign of the little leprauchauns under the green either, I think they bought a 4 bed detached!

So the next phase of 4 beds being built are on schedulde from what I understand, first 5 are to be ready before December, with the last 5 hot on there heals. Not sure how the next phase of 4 detached did, anyone know?

Propertypriceregister is out. I think everybody who wanted to buy in this estate should take a look. They do NOT sale for the asking prices!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Loraco

Propertypriceregister is out. I think everybody who wanted to buy in this estate should take a look. They do NOT sale for the asking prices!!!!

Hi SolarisLem

Could you give some more details please? Where can it be accessed? Just had a quick look online and couldn't find anything.

Many thanks for the heads up!

propertypriceregister.ie

Seems like anybody who was smart and low balled the offer got their wish. For ex:

10/07/2012 €263,000.00 3 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth

according the site plan it is the detached one with the asking price of 380. I also found couple that sold for 380 (i would not wanna be in their shoes now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

Seems like anybody who was smart and low balled the offer got their wish. For ex:

10/07/2012 €263,000.00 3 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth

according the site plan it is the detached one with the asking price of 380. I also found couple that sold for 380 (i would not wanna be in their shoes now :)

its also listed for €346,600.00 on the 19/06/2012?

Hmmm interesting! Looks like there was a quick resale!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MaxPower131

Ouch!!!!

Some serious cheerleaders on this thread for this estate. Looks like the EA has led them up the garden path big time:rolleyes:

The price differences for similar houses are staggering.

You have bought a house now and so are a little emotional over prices continuing to fall. I on the other hand can be impartial and share my experience of offering 245k and having it accepted before opting for a house on an acre.

Sounds like you're going to have to live with your decision. Just let others take advantage of a very weak market.
    Thanks for the update tellm me whatever, but your post seems to be factless, and a little bit raving.. . . .. .

You've just mentioned no one has said 245K to you, so is this a figure you are coming up with yourself? If so, it just sounds like a shot in the dark, so i fail to see the relevance of your post.

"They didn't offer it, you have to be prepared to walk away- builders will take your hand off"

It just sounds like you were in no way inclined making a serious offer in this estate, because it looks like you can't back up your arguement by saying you even tried to negotiate with a builder?

There have been 33 houses sold to date. with another 10 in progess as we speak. If you look at earliar fact based posts, you will see where its actually one of the more popular estates in the country at the moment.

Looks like someone owes tellmesomethin an apology:)

I predict we won't be seeing Rebelski anytime soon as either he was connected to the developer or was the unfortunate soul who bought for the asking price :D

Sierra21 wrote: »
    I bought four bedroomed semi detatched at asking price of two eight five. I was told at the time that this was the price and it was non-negotiable.

Oh sweet jaysus:o
    kevint wrote: »
    I think the 360k price mentioned (although unverifiable) was for 1 of the first 8 detached houses at the front. It might possibly be true as the builder/EA was probably testing out the market for these properties around this time last year. I dunno about the 245K story for a semi-d (its a rather dubious account) but there's no harm in chancing it!

I purchased in the second phase of detached that are currently been built. There was a best and final bid process used to sell these. It appears that the demand for these was genuinely very high as they all sold immediately and I secured only my 4th choice house.

You can change pretty much anything in the house kitchens, wardrobes, bathrooms etc. The builder will refer you directly to the individual suppliers, and if there is a higher cost then you negotiate that with the supplier.

In fairness Kevint is most likely the EA or developer as he was staunchly defending the pyrite builder.

Looks like he was one of the ones in on the scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Surelite

Surelite wrote: »
    anyone else here feel these posts sound fishy - sounds like EAs/developers???? :eek:

The property register is the best thing since sliced bread....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevint

Dear MP131 -get your facts right please show me where you believe I defended (staunchly even!!) the builder?

Something strange with the database though listing # 3 as sold on 19/6 at €346k and 3 weeks later selling again at €263k???

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

looks like new house sales dont list VAT.
    the price listed * 1.135
    Can anyone confirm this?

Good point sockpuppets, according to propertpin new properties are listed without the vat so add on 13.5% to the quoted prices

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,
    Some seriouly paranoid people on here!
    I'm still not connected to the builder. ;)

This register is brill, some inaccuracies, but mostly spot on.
    1 - 8 are 4 bed detached, any numbers higher are 3 beds or 4 bed semi D's.

Going forward we should:

Multiply €xxx,xxx by 1.135 to show real value (pun intended!!)
    Multiply Apology by 0, cause thats what your getting tellingmenothingevenmorethanbefore

Ciao friends

I predict we won't be seeing Rebelski anytime soon as either he was connected to the developer or was the unfortunate soul who bought for the asking price :D

Hi!:P

Oh sweet jaysus:o

In fairness Kevint is most likely the EA or developer as he was staunchly defending the pyrite builder.

Looks like he was one of the ones in on the scam.

Sensationalism at its best.:eek:

Looks like someone owes tellmesomethin an apology:)

Nope:P

Ouch!!!!

Some serious cheerleaders on this thread for this estate. Looks like the EA has led them up the garden path big time:rolleyes:

The price differences for similar houses are staggering.

When did you realise you really wanted to take this back?:pac:

looks like new house sales dont list VAT.
    the price listed * 1.135
    Can anyone confirm this?

That makes a lot of sense, I was wondering why most of the prices quoted were such irregular figures such as:
    25/01/2012 €334,802.00 No. 8 Castlepark Avenue

Multiple this figure by 1.135 and it equals €380k.

P.S. This price register is just great. It will put an end to some of the idiotic analysis (much of it on this thread) and also the largely useless Daft and MyHome monthly price reports that are based on asking prices. Will be particularly interesting to see some analysis of the data coming out from this site in the next few days to see what exactly is happening in the property market over the last 6 months????

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Nice and easy search courtesy of http://yellowschedule.com/house_price_database_ireland/

26 Jul 2012 (Thu) €238,767 15 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Dunboyne Road Maynooth
    25 Jan 2012 (Wed) €334,802 No. 8 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    10 Jul 2012 (Tue) €251,101 No 16 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Dunboyne Road Maynooth
    20 Jul 2012 (Fri) €244,493 18 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    15 Dec 2011 (Thu) €328,700 Site 7 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Maynooth
    02 Apr 2012 (Mon) €380,000 4 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Maynooth
    17 May 2012 (Thu) €327,642 2 Castlepark Ave., Castlepark Dunboyne Rd., Maynooth
    20 Apr 2012 (Fri) €251,100 11 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth
    10 Jul 2012 (Tue) €263,000 3 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth
    19 Jun 2012 (Tue) €346,600 3 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth
    06 Dec 2011 (Tue) €255,000 13 CASTLEPARK AVE, DUNBOYNE ROAD, MAYNOOTH
    18 Jun 2012 (Mon) €236,564 12 Castlepark Avenue, Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    22 Aug 2012 (Wed) €245,815 21 Castlepark Avenue, Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    12 Sep 2012 (Wed) €242,290 20 Castlepark Avenue, Dunboyne Road, Maynooth

Non-negotiable?! :P
    Minier81 wrote: »
    .... all asking prices were negotiable - thats why they call them "asking prices".

Minier81 wrote: »
    Nice and easy search courtesy of http://yellowschedule.com/house_price_database_ireland/

26 Jul 2012 (Thu) €238,767 15 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Dunboyne Road Maynooth
    25 Jan 2012 (Wed) €334,802 No. 8 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    10 Jul 2012 (Tue) €251,101 No 16 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Dunboyne Road Maynooth
    20 Jul 2012 (Fri) €244,493 18 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    15 Dec 2011 (Thu) €328,700 Site 7 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Maynooth
    02 Apr 2012 (Mon) €380,000 4 Castlepark Avenue, Castlepark, Maynooth
    17 May 2012 (Thu) €327,642 2 Castlepark Ave., Castlepark Dunboyne Rd., Maynooth
    20 Apr 2012 (Fri) €251,100 11 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth
    10 Jul 2012 (Tue) €263,000 3 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth
    19 Jun 2012 (Tue) €346,600 3 Castlepark Avenue, Maynooth
    06 Dec 2011 (Tue) €255,000 13 CASTLEPARK AVE, DUNBOYNE ROAD, MAYNOOTH
    18 Jun 2012 (Mon) €236,564 12 Castlepark Avenue, Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    22 Aug 2012 (Wed) €245,815 21 Castlepark Avenue, Dunboyne Road, Maynooth
    12 Sep 2012 (Wed) €242,290 20 Castlepark Avenue, Dunboyne Road, Maynooth

Non-negotiable?! :P

Plus 13.5% VAT.......

When did you realise you really wanted to take this back?:pac:

Where have our not so smug anymore antagonists gone to, its very quite here this morning??

• Advertisement

I think they might be re-reading the posts and wondering why they jumped to the wrong conclusions so quickly!

Here, will I meet you in Maynooth for dinner, are you bringing Coonans and the developers or will I in my lavishly paid for 4 x4 courtesy of all the backhanders we were getting. . . . . Sarc.

Advertisement