Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

siobhanoh wrote: »
    I was down a pound at WI! :eek::eek::D:confused:confused:

I am going to put it down to not eating much all weekend and doing a lot of unrewarded work the week before. Have to be careful though because maybe the weekend hasn't hit yet.

But between the compliments at the weekend and going down at WI I am feeling really positive! :D
    have you seen a pound of fat op? our leader brings in her pound of fat from the butcher every now and then, there is a lot of weight in it. she just wants to show us what it looks like in bulk. you didnt go up,well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Our leader siad last week 1 extra white is 0 but 2 extra whites is one - so her take is you count the whites completely separately to the whole eggs. Id be a bit nervous of that myself and prob just give it the extra pp to be sure though.

Ya that's wher I get confussed....what counts as an extra white?? Is the 1st whole egg just counted as 2(2 for the yolk, 0 for the white) and the next white then is 1?? Eggs always confuse me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Danii86 wrote: »
    Ya that's wher I get confussed....what counts as an extra white?? Is the 1st whole egg just counted as 2(2 for the yolk, 0 for the white) and the next white then is 1?? Eggs always confuse me!!!

I think the propoints for a whole egg include whatever nutritional info is in the white and yolk and are calculated as a whole. An egg white on its own is a little less than half a propoint which isnt counted - but 2 together would be rounded up to 1propoint so thats how it works.

(sorry if that is confusing but actually writing it down makes more sense to me now so I would say 1 extra egg white on top of however many eggs is 0pp)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mossimo9

Hi all, just wondering... After how many bananas would tou start pointing them? I'm living off them all day until Im home at 4 and eat my dinner at 5ish :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cailindana

Hi guys!
    Im just wondering has anyone got any ww friendly recipes using prawns? Iv a craving to have some for my dinner but dont know what to have with them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Katie7192

Danii86 wrote: »
    Was doing really good yesterday, 1st day back on track until jus befor my dinner I started to feel really ill, could only manage 2bites of dinner, then had 2 go lie down. Felt awful all evening and went 2 bed @ half 9!! Had a peek on the scales 2 perpare me 4 goin bac 2 WW meetings 2nyt, only to discover that I was down 3lbs, I'm putin that down to getin sick last night, iv just gota becareful I don't put tHat back on as quickly, tho no fear of that 2day, appatite is very poor, still don't think I'm 100%!!

Can someone refresh my head on the egg situation....I had 1whole egg + 1 white scrambled 4 brekkie, is that 2pp or 3pp because there was 2 whites??

Its says 2pp in the purple book

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

Recipe makes 4 burgers. 7 pro points per serving.

Ingredients:
    30g chorizo, chopped roughly
    1 small onion, chopped roughly
    150g boneless pork chop with visible fat removed and chopped roughly
    500g lean turkey mince
    1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped roughly
    1 tablespoon finely choped basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Method:
    Put the chorizo, pork and turkey in a food processor and whizz until smooth, or chop very finely, and place in a large mixing bowl.
    Put the pepper and onion into the food processor and chop finely.
    Put the mixture in a sieve and leave to drain for 5 minutes to remove any excess moisture.
    Add the pepper mixture, basil and a generous amount of seasoning to the meats and mix thoroughly until combined.
    With slightly wet hands, shape the mixture into 4 even-sized burgers.
    Put on a plate and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins, or for up to 24 hours.
    Preheat the grill/BBQ. Cook burgers for 8-10 mins on each side or until thoroughly cooked. There shouldn't be any pink meat and the juices will run clear when a knife is inserted once it's cooked through.

Serve with 0pp side salad for a yummy dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

This is from the July 2012 WW magazine and it's divine!

Serves 4. 12pp per serving.

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp low fat spread
    1 small onion, diced
    1 garlic clove, diced
    200g bag washed spinach
    4x150g Skinless chicken breast
    Calorie controlled cooking sprary
    200g brown rice
    100ml white wine
    250ml light single cream
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    A handful of snipped fresh chives
    Green beans, to serve

Method:
    Heat a nonstick frying pan and add the low fat spread, onion and garlic. Fry gently for 5-10 mins until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the spinah and wilt down completely. Season well.
    Cut a pocket in each of the chicken breasts and stuff the spinach mixture inside. Season the outsides.
    Wipe the pan clean and return to the heat. Mist with cooking spray, then add the chicken breasts and cook for 15-18 mins or until browned and just cooked through, turning once.
    Meanwhile cook the rice according to pack instructions, drain and keep warm.
    When the chicken is ready, add the wine to the pan and let it sizzle for 2 mins, then remove the pan from the heat, transfer the chicken to warmed plates and stir in the cream and mustard. Return to the pan to heat and warm through gently. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken, then scatter with the chives and serve with the rice and green beans.

Fricking divine!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Thanks for posting those recipes ShindyB!! The second one sounds lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

I think the propoints for a whole egg include whatever nutritional info is in the white and yolk and are calculated as a whole. An egg white on its own is a little less than half a propoint which isnt counted - but 2 together would be rounded up to 1propoint so thats how it works.

(sorry if that is confusing but actually writing it down makes more sense to me now so I would say 1 extra egg white on top of however many eggs is 0pp)

Thanks, that kinda makes sense alrite! So my scrambled egg this morn would have just been 2!

Just back from my 1st WW meetin.....back to where I was last october :( so iv a fair bita work to do, idealy want 2 loose 3st!!!

Was starvin after work but didn't want to eat much befor WI, so had a ribeena ice lolly....only 1pp and did the trick 4 the sugar dip!!! Perfick with the nice waether 2!!

• Advertisement

Just had my WI and down another pound! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JudyD

Casher wrote: »
    Well Guys, after 25 weeks and 39 lbs I’ve done it and reached goal.

CONGRATULATIONS Casher! It must be a wonderful wonderful feeling! Well done!! :)

My great news is minus 0.5lb at WI this eve. Not a lot in itself but it got me to the 3 stone mark!!! I'm just over the moon!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Hey Guys... another week of ww. Congrats on the losses so far, good luck with those still to come.

Shindy... thanks a million for those recipes... I'm def going to try those burgers, and I'd been eyeing up that chicken recipe in the magazine (love those mags, find them great for recipes), glad to have a recommendation before I go to the bother!

WI in the morning.... eeeek!!! Have had a so so week... probably went over my weeklies (there were a few things that were difficult to accurately point), but not by much I think AND I've earned 40 activity points to counteract it (my neighbors think I'm gone mental, I'm constantly out walking, and only a crazy person would attempt to push a buggy up the hill I live on). I'm practically floating, I've drank that much water, so here's hoping. Think I'm starting to realise that a gain isn't the end of the world... if I work hard, I'll see the results somewhere, even if it's not on the scales. And I AM seeing the results... I see them in the mirror, I see them in my clothes. I feel so much better in myself, I can't wait to go proper clothes shopping at the end of all this (and I don't like shopping at all usually!).

Back to work in 8 weeks... kinda nervous- there's often chocolate everywhere... it will be such a challenge to my willpower. I hope to have my fourth stone by then... surely knowing that I've achieved so much will help me to stay on track... if i do have my fourth stone, I'll still have almost a stone and half to go!

weight.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

It seems like a lot of people are in a similar position to myself i.e. getting back on track. I've really struggled since coming back from holidays a month ago and I reckon I'm close to having put back on a stone. Before my holidays I had been doing it myself but I think I need to go back to a class to get properly back on track. My only problem is I didn't like my old leader so I'm looking for a new class in South Dublin. Does anyone have any suggestions...preferably around Dundrum/Knocklyon area.

Well done on all the fantastic results this week. It's great to see as I find the summer months are the hardest to stay focused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

mossimo9 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering... After how many bananas would tou start pointing them? I'm living off them all day until Im home at 4 and eat my dinner at 5ish :-)

Hey there, I would try to stick to one banana a day (medium size) and if you have more then perhaps point them?
    I usually do this since bananas were quite high in the old points system.

Well I fell off the wagon the last 2-3 weeks and even though I was exercising I was eating just waaaaaaaay too much at the weekends, so I bit the bullet this morning and I'm up 4lbs. It could be much worse so I'm back on track since Monday - sticking to my pp - exercising -and today am drinking water to beat the band.

They say that weight that goes on quickly comes off quickly so here's hoping for a decent loss next week!
    (If I can manage not to go OTT at Body & Soul this weekend!)

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 brenmcp

weight in last night, lost.5 only. Bit disappointed,:( expected more. TOTM will strike today so trying to write it off and keep chipping on.

Found another great blog
    http://thewwfoodie.blogspot.ie/

I have copied below an entry from March, i really enjoyed reading it, i hope that you do too.

"I would like to offer a hypothesis that among those people (for sake of ease I'll use a feminine pronoun but it equally applies to men) who can be called "slim" (or perhaps, rather, average-ish of size) there are probably two distinct types.

Type A is your natural slim person. Your typical A has never been on a diet in her life and seldom weighs herself. She doesn't really need to because she naturally regulates herself. If she has a large slice of cake mid afternoon she might not have much for dinner. On the other hand, a hungry day is a hungry day - she'll eat if she needs to because she knows perfectly well she'll be less hungry (and eat less) tomorrow or the next day. Perhaps after Christmas, or a week away, her favourite jeans will feel a little tight so she'll cut out the mid morning biscuit for a while and fit in an extra swim. No big deal.

Type B, on the other hand, has probably been on some sort of diet for as long as she can remember. She tried out the Cabbage Soup one, and the weird one with the frankfurters and bananas and had a glorious few days on Atkins mainlining protein until she realised it WAS possible to get sick of cheese. She is slim now but the rituals: of weighing in, of self denial, of wondering if she is slim enough...they never leave her.

I have been wondering, you see, if it is ever possible to move from Type B to A (or, I suppose vice versa; although every child probably starts out fairly A-ish and then picks up habits and thought patterns elsewhere). This migration, it is what I aspire to (assuming I reach the Hallowed Halls of slim first - nothing like getting ahead of oneself!) Actually, I was thinking today it is one of the reasons that I like Weight Watchers as a diet plan. As you juggle your points and sacrifice a biscuit in the afternoon for a piece of naan bread with your curry, you are making the kind of decisions that your Type A makes naturally - without a tracker and a constant, twitchy desire to check up on the nutritional information. So do you, can you ever lose the tracker and the twitch?

And now I've just thought of a quote from Friends (there really is one for every occasion) when Monica says something like "I owe it to the fat girl inside me - I never let her eat!"

Do we EVER get to ditch the fat girl?"

taken from http://thewwfoodie.blogspot.ie/

brenmcp wrote: »
    weight in last night, lost.5 only. Bit disappointed,:( expected more. TOTM will strike today so trying to write it off and keep chipping on.

Found another great blog

I have copied below an entry from March, i really enjoyed reading it, i hope that you do too.

"I would like to offer a hypothesis that among those people (for sake of ease I'll use a feminine pronoun but it equally applies to men) who can be called "slim" (or perhaps, rather, average-ish of size) there are probably two distinct types.

Type A is your natural slim person. Your typical A has never been on a diet in her life and seldom weighs herself. She doesn't really need to because she naturally regulates herself. If she has a large slice of cake mid afternoon she might not have much for dinner. On the other hand, a hungry day is a hungry day - she'll eat if she needs to because she knows perfectly well she'll be less hungry (and eat less) tomorrow or the next day. Perhaps after Christmas, or a week away, her favourite jeans will feel a little tight so she'll cut out the mid morning biscuit for a while and fit in an extra swim. No big deal.

Type B, on the other hand, has probably been on some sort of diet for as long as she can remember. She tried out the Cabbage Soup one, and the weird one with the frankfurters and bananas and had a glorious few days on Atkins mainlining protein until she realised it WAS possible to get sick of cheese. She is slim now but the rituals: of weighing in, of self denial, of wondering if she is slim enough...they never leave her.

I have been wondering, you see, if it is ever possible to move from Type B to A (or, I suppose vice versa; although every child probably starts out fairly A-ish and then picks up habits and thought patterns elsewhere). This migration, it is what I aspire to (assuming I reach the Hallowed Halls of slim first - nothing like getting ahead of oneself!) Actually, I was thinking today it is one of the reasons that I like Weight Watchers as a diet plan. As you juggle your points and sacrifice a biscuit in the afternoon for a piece of naan bread with your curry, you are making the kind of decisions that your Type A makes naturally - without a tracker and a constant, twitchy desire to check up on the nutritional information. So do you, can you ever lose the tracker and the twitch?

And now I've just thought of a quote from Friends (there really is one for every occasion) when Monica says something like "I owe it to the fat girl inside me - I never let her eat!"

What a great post - its a really interesting subject that I've often thought about myself. I personally think that once you think you have ditched the fat girl mentality you're opening yourself up to physically becoming the fat girl again. I think once you have a weight problem - you always will, you may not always be overweight, but its always going to be lurking in the background. And the moment you take your eyes off of that so to speak, next time you look in the mirror there will be someone else staring back. I think thats why WW offer meetings free to gold members, because they know for a lot of people weight is something that needs to managed as a life long thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 brenmcp

I agree, that pretty much hapenned to me. I thought, I know now what to do and will do it naturally, I didn't and racked on weight again. It's coming off much slower this time too i'm afraid.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

dammitj wrote: »
    (If I can manage not to go OTT at Body & Soul this weekend!)

Ha ha, me too!

I'm planning on just eating from Natasha's Living Food or Happy Pear (both were delicious and healthy last year). And for drink I'll have my WW wine for drinking in the camp site and after hours. The rest of the time it'll be pints/cans so we'll see how I get on with that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Lost 1/2lb at weigh in last night so 5lb in two weeks! :D Chuffed!!

Was at a christening the weekend and had two and a half bottles of wine! :o Was dying on sunday! And ate my way through whatever was in front of me, stayed away for night so was up drinking til late! Came home sunday adamant to make a roast chicken! Took it out and it was rotten! :mad: So tempted to get a takeaway but went to tesco and exchanged it and stuck to the plan!

Had my usual post weigh in treat yesterday and back to it today!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

brenmcp wrote: »

Found another great blog

This is a great post. It's something I've given a bit of thought to aswell, and I'm fairly sure that Type A and Type B are two different distinct types... I don't think they ever switch from one to the other.

I too have made the mistake of departing WW, confident that I'd go it alone, and failed miserably... failed so miserable in fact, that when I rejoined 6 and a half years later (make no mistake, I joined pretty much annually or biannually or triannually in those six and a half years), I was over 5 and a half stone than the date on which I departed. I can safely say, that I will never ditch the fat girl. I'm confident that she's there, all the time, sitting on my shoulder, egging me on to eat, well.... anything really. Or at least, anything that's loaded with carbs, sugar, fat... all the nasties! The fat girl, it seems is a much more strong willed character than the skinny girl. The very most I can hope for, is that someday, somehow, the fat girl might get the message and retreat. Just a small bit. Just enough to ensure that maybe the battle won't be as hard. I'm hoping that the skinny girl will learn a bit of determination from the fat girl- and maybe learn to overpower her on a more regular basis. At the moment, I'm starting to realise that I can't let my guard down, not for one second. If I do, I'll find myself clearing up the wrappers of the chocolate bars I didn't really want, need, or intend to, well... inhale.

On a different note... WI this morning... Up 1lb. I'm ok with it. Like I said in my last post, I've realised something... It's not all about the scales. I took more clothes out of the "too small" bag last night. There's very little in it now... at Christmas, I had 3 full bags of too small things (in my defence, I was 7 weeks post partum).
    I had a bit of a think about it when I was driving to the swimming pool earlier, just after my WI... I did realise that I ate a LOT of undocumented points last wednesday when I was driving that same road. And there's been a few other bits popped in the mouth during the week, so when I said I went over my weeklies but not by much... it was probably by a lot more than I thought (who knew... there's two points in a Liga!).
    So today, I didn't do that... I've tracked everything today. And I will do for the week. Even though it's not all about the scales, that's something I need to tell myself when I've been true to the plan and it doesn't show. It's not something that I should be saying when I've cheated the plan and want to offer myself an excuse... because then I'll start to see a lot more gains.

I was down 2 pounds at WI! Hopefully I can get the silver 7 next week (just a half pound to go). Well done everyone who's lost this week! Can kind of notice it in my clothes too now, things don't seem as tight :o Maybe that's just my mind though.

That blog post brenmcp posted is really interesting, but I don't necessarily agree with it. One thing I'm wary of in general is the placement of too much emphasis on the skinny girl=good/fat girl=bad label. There's also the idea fed to us by so many places (especially the media) that being slim will automatically make everything better and get rid of any problems, when it's obviously unlikely that will happen. We shouldn't be beating ourselves up because we don't live up to society's views on what the perfect women/man should look like. Losing weight and becoming healthier is a journey, and we'll all get there sometime; there's no point hurting ourselves over it. I'm well aware that's a lot easier said than done though.

Was down 1.5 tonight at WI. I'm happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

down 1lb at WI 2nite. Current weight 12 stone 1.5lb, really want to get into the 11's soon!
    Next 2 mini goals - 1. Loose 2 lbs and be in the 11 stone bracket (just about!) & 2. loose another 2.5lbs and get my 9th silver seven:)

messrs wrote: »
    down 1lb at WI 2nite. Current weight 12 stone 1.5lb, really want to get into the 11's soon!
    Next 2 mini goals - 1. Loose 2 lbs and be in the 11 stone bracket (just about!) & 2. loose another 2.5lbs and get my 9th silver seven:)

Wow, that's such a good total loss so far - well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

There's also the idea fed to us by so many places (especially the media) that being slim will automatically make everything better and get rid of any problems, when it's obviously unlikely that will happen. We shouldn't be beating ourselves up because we don't live up to society's views on what the perfect women/man should look like. Losing weight and becoming healthier is a journey, and we'll all get there sometime; there's no point hurting ourselves over it. I'm well aware that's a lot easier said than done though.

I agree with this completely. I have a friend who thought that by losing weight she would get a boy and with that a new group of friends and she'd have the perfect life. Needless to say when she got thin (and keeps getting thinner) she didn't get the boy and her life is spiralling out of control. It is a self-confidence issue. I am the fat friend and yes as I lost the weight I gained a whole new confidence and my life couldn't be more perfect. I don't have a boyfriend but that's ok because I am happy with who I am and with where I am in life atm. So my advice to everyone would be DO THIS FOR YOURSELF and the awards will be so satisfying.

Eabhabear wrote: »
    There's also the idea fed to us by so many places (especially the media) that being slim will automatically make everything better and get rid of any problems, when it's obviously unlikely that will happen. We shouldn't be beating ourselves up because we don't live up to society's views on what the perfect women/man should look like. Losing weight and becoming healthier is a journey, and we'll all get there sometime; there's no point hurting ourselves over it. I'm well aware that's a lot easier said than done though.

I agree with this completely. I have a friend who thought that by losing weight she would get a boy and with that a new group of friends and she'd have the perfect life. Needless to say when she got thin (and keeps getting thinner) she didn't get the boy and her life is spiralling out of control. It is a self-confidence issue. I am the fat friend and yes as I lost the weight I gained a whole new confidence and my life couldn't be more perfect. I don't have a boyfriend but that's ok because I am happy with who I am and with where I am in life atm. So my advice to everyone would be DO THIS FOR YOURSELF and the awards will be so satisfying.

I think the points made by you both are right. I think though, that the original post wasn't necessarily about what motivates us to lose weight, but rather about defining when, if ever, the journey ends. There are people who naturally stay slim, by subconsciously regulating what/how much they eat. There are others who need more structure. I'm one of those. I count points, and it seems to suit me. If (when... Must think positively) I reach goal, I know that I wont magically become someone who subconsciously regulates my calorie intake. I won't suddenly begin to think "I better not eat that biscuit, there was cream in my soup at lunchtime, that's too many calories". I will need to very consciously make those decisions, because I need structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Reached the 50lb lost tonight..:D cant belive it to be honest...feel great .
    Another 17lb to goal...;)

Oh I know exactly what you're saying ck83 - I'm also one of those people that can eat loads and not put on any weight (unlike my dad and brother!), I need to watch what I eat. It's clear that's what the blog post was mostly saying. It's just that it also reminded me about the things that I'm uncomfortable with around weight loss and how weight is looked at and placed on such a pedestal in society.

• Advertisement

Morning guys!

Hope you're all well. Need a bit of advice. Heading out for dinner tonight and going here on this voucher http://deals.menupages.ie/rolys-bistro-ballsbridge-dublin4-deal.aspx Can see the menu on it and I was just wondering for some suggestions onhow to point it.

Was going to go for the thai fishcakes for starter - read a few places these are 5pp each so thats easy enough (though I would LOVE to try the pigeon, just have no idea how to count that, if anyone knows or has an idea then that would be AMAZING). I then thought the cod would be the best choice as a main. Any ideas what to pp that - i guess it does depend on serving size. Prob be a big piece of cod, maybe twice the size of a WW recommended serve so 4 for that, another 4 for the chorizo, 2 for the butter in the spinich (though I may not eat that or see if they can do it without) and then say 3 for oils??
    Then dessert the pavlova - ask for it without cream just merigne and fruit is low enough.

Anyone got any other suggestions based on the meal. Have 42 weeklies left and hopefully will have about 15 dailies too - plus we are going to get one bottle of wine so have to count 9 for that. Would love if i could have a few weeklies left as i wouldnt mind a drink or 2 at westlife tomorrow but I can go without if I go mad today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement