Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bobdz

Hello, I am newbie on this forum
    I got offered a position in Manama, Bahrain
    I am just curios about the salary, in my contract is mentioned 665 BHD ( = about 1700$)
    Can I live and save with this salary ?
    and anyone else heading to Manama?

Oh boy ! the school in Bahrain is on an artificial island. Is it safe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bobdz wrote: »
    I am just curios about the salary, in my contract is mentioned 665 BHD ( = about 1700$)
    Can I live and save with this salary ?
    and anyone else heading to Manama?

665 is quite low, to be honest. I assume your accommodation is paid for?

To give you an idea of costs here in Bahrain (double figures below to get a rough estimate in Euro):

A pint of Heineken: 2.4 BHD
    Car hire for a month: 150 BHD
    Main course in a mid-range restaurant: 6-7BHD

Food in the supermarket is subsidised, a loaf of bread is approx 0.1 BHD, top range New Zealand fillet of beef is about 3-4 BHD for a decent steak, fruit is exceptionally cheap. Irish/UK/American goods are that bit more expensive, though, for obvious reasons.
    Oh boy ! the school in Bahrain is on an artificial island. Is it safe ?

It has only floated away twice since it was built. The first time, the Iranians towed it back, the second time, it just drifted back after a couple of days.

Just kidding.

It is built on reclaimed land, so yes, it is completely safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 esp202

I have two phone interviews Thursday morning one at 7:30 and one at 10:30. Any one have any tips for the phone interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 adinado

Just been offered a position in Abu Dhabi city! Had been hoping for Dubai confused now if I should take it or not! Anyone have any experience living or working there?

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne
    Thank you for your response, yes the accommodation is included in the package with free electricity and water (only gas is paid by me).
    Only 2 minutes between the accommodation and the school building
    About the car,I think a will take a taxi (by the way, how much is riding a taxi ?)instead as I will not travel (only for supermarket).
    I come from Algeria, an Arab country and there's a discrimination in salary between western expatriates and other Arabs national(Syria, Jordan, Egypt and north African countries). Even though 1700$ looks very low for an average European salary for a teacher but comparing to my country it's about 400%.

I am really confused in this situation as I don't know what it's like to live in Bahrain
    May I ask for prices:
    -1 L of water
    -1 L of Pepsi/Coca (no Heineken, I am Muslim :p)
    -1 Kg of white/red meat
    -1 Kg of vegetables (potato, tomato, onions ...)
    -(1 Kg ?) of eggs
    -1 month mobile invoice ( I don't talk much on the phone)
    - Main course in a mid-range restaurant(not western nor local )
    -1 months gas
    - taxi ride
    -1 month DSL (or equivalent for internet)
    -1 month of soap, deodorant, and perfume
    -1 pair of cotton chino pant
    -1 pair of shoes
    -1 shirt
    thank you
    I know my list looks stupid but this is how I can figure if I am going to save or not

esp202 wrote: »
    I have two phone interviews Thursday morning one at 7:30 and one at 10:30. Any one have any tips for the phone interview?

They will ask you typical questions in the first interview :
    introduce yourself, why we need to hire you, what country do you prefer, do you have an idea about the SABIS point method of teaching. what do you do when students don't listen to you ....
    the second interview as I remember, you will be contacted by the head department of your specialty (maths in my case)and he/she will ask you questions about the course you are going to teach (in my case: calculating integral, derivatives, geometry etc ... )

I hope this help you

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hi,

Can anyone clarify what it means by UAE security screening? What exactly will this entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

Even though 1700$ looks very low for an average European salary for a teacher but comparing to my country it's about 400%.

I think we (1st time Choueifat teachers) are all getting paid that kind of money regardless of what background we have. I mean its only realistic given most of us don't have a teaching qualification.

• Advertisement

Alia89 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone clarify what it means by UAE security screening? What exactly will this entail?

UAE immigration are going to do a background check on you. Relax, you're not going to be hauled into some underground bunker and interrogated. Most like they will liase with police, government bodies etc to see what you've been up to. Did you have to submit a list of previous residences or something like that?

Did you live in the UAE previously?

mcdbd wrote: »
    I think we (1st time Choueifat teachers) are all getting paid that kind of money regardless of what background we have. I mean its only realistic given most of us don't have a teaching qualification.
    yes maybe.
    I don't have a teaching qualification and only 1 year of experience .

UAE immigration are going to do a background check on you. Relax, you're not going to be hauled into some underground bunker and interrogated. Most like they will liase with police, government bodies etc to see what you've been up to. Did you have to submit a list of previous residences or something like that?

Did you live in the UAE previously?

Oh ok thanks for the info. No, didn't have to provide a list of previous residences. And yes I used to live in Al-Ain and Abu-Dhabi but as a child, moved back to the UK soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Koni8819

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has an info re: my queries below ---

I applied very late for entry this Sept with SABIS, (approx. 2-3 weeks ago), however, I have sent all forms, video CV etc., back - how long does it usually take to hear a response from the HR dept?

I applied through their website, and emailed them directly.

Would you say that it's too late for me? I've seen throughout this thread that some of you applied late last year, around Oct/Nov!

Does anyone know whether the spots for Dubai have been filled yet, or...?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

me54 wrote: »
    oh yay!.. what are you teaching?? do you know anyone else going or over there?
    I don't know what i'll be teaching yet. I think primary children!!! Hopefully there'llbe a few of us!!!

Just got another offer for Abu Dhabi city! Delighted! Anyone else going there? :)

adinado wrote: »
    Just got another offer for Abu Dhabi city! Delighted! Anyone else going there? :)

I am going there.

I am going there.

To the city school? Just sent off my contract, cant wait now :) Do you know what your teaching? I've been told grades 3-6 which I'm happy enough with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 esp202

Just finished my phone interview. They said there would be a second interview to discuses possible jobs and then a third Technical Interview.

They want me to teach either Maths or Physics or a combination of the two because that's what my degrees are in.

They said they didn't want me to teach Gymnastics because I don't have a degree in it. I told them no such degree exists in Ireland. Then they said it is usually part of a PE degree which I know it is. So I explained that I had qualifications from Gymnastics Ireland the NGB of Gymnastics in Ireland which are to a higher level and standard than a PE degree (not saying a PE degree is useless) and I have 3 & 1/2 years Gymnastics Coaching experience as well. Then they said they are only hiring females for that role at the moment.

It seems like they really want Maths and Physics Teachers. would really prefer to teach Gymnastics. Anyone know if it is true that they only hire females for Gymnastics Teaching? If they had of said that straight up, women only it would have made things easier and I wouldn't feel like they are trying to push me into a Maths or Physics Job.

To the city school? Just sent off my contract, cant wait now :) Do you know what your teaching? I've been told grades 3-6 which I'm happy enough with :)

They told me to send my documents to Abu Dhabi city (do you know anything about it?), so that's where I assume I am going to be working. I think there are other schools in Abu Dhabi, in Khalifa City A or B? I think the interviewer said primary school children to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

I'm going there too :)

They told me to send my documents to Abu Dhabi city (do you know anything about it?), so that's where I assume I am going to be working. I think there are other schools in Abu Dhabi, in Khalifa City A or B? I think the interviewer said primary school children to me.

He told me I'm in the international school of chouiefat and it's directly in the city. He said there was also another one just outside Abu Dhabi too but I don't know much about it, don't think its too far away! Must look into the city and all now! :D

Katy_B wrote: »
    I'm going there too :)

woo glad theres a few of us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dot1990

I have been offered a teaching position with SABIS but am having difficulty obtaining the police certificate. My local garda station have told me that I can apply only for one needed for embassy/visa purposes or the company applies for it. Left a bit confused! Does anyone know if this data protection access form will do http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/data%20protection%20access%20request%20form%20%28f20%29.pdf and if so how long has it taken? Any help would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 innominat

Dot1990 wrote: »
    My local garda station have told me that I can apply only for one needed for embassy/visa purposes or the company applies for it.
    Apply for the embassy one as your going to need it for your visa app i think.
    Mine took me about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jencullinane

Hi guys any1 going to live in sharjah & teach in umm al quwain? Im going over in aug, id love to hear from ye! Thanks jen :)

Alia89 wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks :) only just sent off the signed contract so just waiting to hear back from them of the next steps...there is one thing that is confusing me though, it states that a UAE security screening will be carried out...does that mean visa requirement process or further background checks?

Alia! Hey hw r u? Its jen :)

M442 wrote: »
    :D
    me54 wrote: »
    hey, anybody for sharjah?
    Me

hey im going to live in sharjah but teach in umm al quwain

aidey123 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone has been offered Umm Al Quwain? Trying to find anything about it and not getting very far. Has anyone even heard of the place? I was told we'd be living in Sharjah and it's a short distance to school every day?

Hey im going to teach in umm al quwain and live in sharjah! Are u looking forward to it?? Im a bit nervous!!

• Advertisement

Alia! Hey hw r u? Its jen :)

Heyyy! I'm fine thanks..so excited! Can't wait to meet up there :)

Advertisement