Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bobdz

another question
    bahrain salaries are not tax-free
    so how much tax will cut from my 665 BHD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jencullinane

Alia89 wrote: »
    Alia! Hey hw r u? Its jen :)

Heyyy! I'm fine thanks..so excited! Can't wait to meet up there :)

I no im getting really nervous now :( ahhh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jencullinane

Alia! Hey hw r u? Its jen :)

Heyyy! I'm fine thanks..so excited! Can't wait to meet up there :)

I no im getting really nervous now :( ahhh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bobdz wrote: »
    I am really confused in this situation as I don't know what it's like to live in Bahrain
    May I ask for prices:
    -1 L of water 0.4 BHD
    -1 L of Pepsi/Coca (no Heineken, I am Muslim :p) 0.8 BHD
    -1 Kg of white/red meat 2 BHD
    -1 Kg of vegetables (potato, tomato, onions ...) no idea - 2BHD or so
    -(1 Kg ?) of eggs 1
    -1 month mobile invoice ( I don't talk much on the phone) varies massively Batelco.com.bh, viva.bh and zain.bh are your friends
    - Main course in a mid-range restaurant(not western nor local ) see above
    -1 months gas Um, I didn't think we had gas here. No idea
    - taxi ride 10km is about 5 BHD
    -1 month DSL (or equivalent for internet) no idea, see links above
    -1 month of soap, deodorant, and perfume no idea, not expensive, though
    -1 pair of cotton chino pant - buying in shops is expensive, getting it made is approx. 12 BHD
    -1 pair of shoes - never bought any here, cheaper in Europe which says a lot
    -1 shirt - again, don't buy many here, but to get one hand-made - 7.5BHD
    bobdz wrote: »
    another question
    bahrain salaries are not tax-free
    so how much tax will cut from my 665 BHD ?

Tax is 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bobdz

Tom Dunne
    thank you for your response.
    Can't wait to go !
    I don`t know what is the next step after sending my signed contract
    anybody has an idea ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone's heard about accommodation yet? Will they be placing you in the 'apartment' as soon as we arrive in the UAE?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Hi I haven't heard anything about yet but the first email I got said that a representative would meet us at the airport and take us to the accommodation.
    Has anyone heard about when they're flying out or when we'll get the ticket? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

Katy_B wrote: »
    Hi I haven't heard anything about yet but the first email I got said that a representative would meet us at the airport and take us to the accommodation.

Haven't heard anything myself. Sent my documents to them ages ago. Did you locate your missing degree transcripts?

mcdbd wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything myself. Sent my documents to them ages ago. Did you locate your missing degree transcripts?

Nope, they never turned up. I am going to be compensated at least but had to send my documents off to be certified again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 m_2012

Hey Guys.. I have been offered a teaching position in Manama, Bahrain. I kind of wanted to be placed in the Emirates and don't really know a lot about Bahrain. Has anyone been placed there or know what the place is like or know of anyone who is going?? Any info would be appreciated..Thanks so much!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hi,

Just wanted to enquire about the apartment they provide, I'm assuming there will be no form of internet connection there? Or will there? Also what was the accommodation like? Any answers will be great.

Hi,

Just wanted to enquire about the apartment they provide, I'm assuming there will be no form of internet connection there? Or will there? Also what was the accommodation like? Any answers will be great.

I have read the accommodation section of the contract. It says furnished accommodation is provided, so I imagine that's your basics. Doesn't say anything about a phone line or internet. Perhaps someone who's out there can enlighten us. Go on light me up. lol. :eek: :D: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

when you get here you will set up your own internet yourself. you will need your visa to do that doh.. takes about 3 days to get all set up- go in do paper work and then they send someone out to install it..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

Hey is anyone heading to Doha this year? I'm a returning teacher, so just wondering if anyone else will be heading out that way

• Registered Users Posts: 47 piddif

Hey all.

I'm wondering if many of you are heading out on your own, and whether or not it would be easy to make new friends over there for someone on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

piddif wrote: »
    Hey all.

I'm wondering if many of you are heading out on your own, and whether or not it would be easy to make new friends over there for someone on their own?

I'm going with a friend to Dubai , but she will be in a different school to me. I also know many people from college over there so I'm not worried. If given an apartment by the school, more than likely you will be sharing so you will become close to that person any way( I got quite lucky to get my own apartment with my contray - I'm not going with Sabis though :) ) Also, you will more than likely live next to those you are working with, so trust me you will make so many friends so very quickly over there, as I've been told :):)

Don't worry about it at all. I'm more worried about trying to find proper teaching clothes as they are so precise on what they want - sober colours, certain lengths. . . want to get stuff that doesn't roast me either with the heat, can anyone recommend any good shops for light layered clothes that are not too colourful? Its hard to find these in the middle of summer here I find.:P

Oh and a big hey to all those heading to Dubai the end of Aug . . it's my 1st time heading abroad (as in living abroad for along time) . .very excited!!!! Can't wait!! :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Hey all.

I'm going on my own.

mcdbd wrote: »
    I'm going on my own.

Any particular reason for this? I would like the idea of making new friends. Then there is the experience gained form going and starting off new relationships on your own! Kind of exciting and scary at the same time :D

Guys is it way too late to apply?! Everyone seems to have applied around January-April.

I'll be trying anyway :D

• Advertisement

Any particular reason for this? I would like the idea of making new friends. Then there is the experience gained form going and starting off new relationships on your own! Kind of exciting and scary at the same time :D

I think a good number of applicants are in the category where they apply with a group of their college friends. I'm not in this category. I'm older and didn't study at a traditional brick and mortar institution.

I don't think it will be that hard to make new friends. Just head out with anyone who's asking. There will be a few sound people like that, I have no doubt. :D Especially if you're in a school with lots of Irish teachers. If that's not your thing then there are clubs and cultural exchanges. For instance if you wanted to get to know the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JezZCaa...X

Hey all.

I'm heading on my own as well! I got placed in Muscat in Oman so it will be an adventure for us if nothing else! :D

I got my flight details this morning! 11th of August from Dublin to Muscat via Abu Dhabi!

I got my flight details this morning! 11th of August from Dublin to Muscat via Abu Dhabi!

Hi did they send you your ticket yet or was it just an email telling you when you'd be flying? not too long to go now :D

Hi did they send you your ticket yet or was it just an email telling you when you'd be flying? not too long to go now :D

Hey!

No, all they sent me was the times & dates for the flight. They asked me to confirm if they were ok and that they will send me my tickets soon.

Did you get anything?

I know, it's literally like 40 days! I'm getting nervous/giddy/excited!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluebee

I'm heading on my own as well! I got placed in Muscat in Oman so it will be an adventure for us if nothing else! :D

You're not on you're own! Ha ha:) i got the email about our flights too, woo! It's getting so close!!

bluebee wrote: »
    You're not on you're own! Ha ha:) i got the email about our flights too, woo! It's getting so close!!

I wonder how many people are going to Muscat altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 adinado

11th of August? :O I thought the flights wouldn't be till around the 20th or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1Elainey1

Just wondering what are the wages for SABIS® in the UAE?
    Are ye all going with SABIS or what schools?

I applied to SABIS a month or so ago and I have done one interview and they keep emailing me to do a second interview ASAP. Is this good or is it hard to get a job with them...

However, I've no clue of the wages or perks or contract duration
    can anyone give me a quick heads up on the situation and should I keep looking at home for English jobs or jump ship?!

Many Thanks

Elaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Hi everyone. Just read through some of the thread. I'm currently in Georgia teaching English and I'm interested in heading over to the Middle East. Although obviously not until next year. Just a couple of quick questions if someone doesn't mind answering them :)
    Do I register on the Sabis website and apply for jobs? Or is there a general application form? How did you guys and gals apply?
    I'm not applying now, but seeing as I plan to to a bit of travelling in Europe up until December I want to have in my head what I need to do :D
    Also, is December the best month to start applying?

Cheers ;)

Advertisement