Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lauriele

Hi guys,

I have only recently started looking into teaching in Dubai and I'm feeling a bit bogged down with all the information I've got.

I read on a website to beware of scammers who want to rip you off. They even make up names of schools that are similar to actual existing schools.

Could you recommend how to go about seeking a job? Any pitfalls to avoid? Did you guys get your jobs through agencies or by contacting schools directly?

Also, and possibly a stupid question, is it too late to apply for jobs for September 2012?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Melli

Lauriele wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have only recently started looking into teaching in Dubai and I'm feeling a bit bogged down with all the information I've got.

I read on a website to beware of scammers who want to rip you off. They even make up names of schools that are similar to actual existing schools.

Could you recommend how to go about seeking a job? Any pitfalls to avoid? Did you guys get your jobs through agencies or by contacting schools directly?

Also, and possibly a stupid question, is it too late to apply for jobs for September 2012?!

Hey Lauriele,
    Think the majority of us are going to work with Sabis aka International School of Choueifat. The have school in UAE, Qatar and Oman. I contacted the school directly and they sent me back an application form pretty swiftly. The was a telephone interview and a face to face one in Dublin. The whole process was fairly easy. I know they take people in September so might be no harm to drop them an email. One thing to note with sabis is that you state your first three preferences location wise- Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc but you won't be guaranteed it, they can send you anywhere. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lauriele

Melli wrote: »
    Hey Lauriele,
    Think the majority of us are going to work with Sabis aka International School of Choueifat. The have school in UAE, Qatar and Oman. I contacted the school directly and they sent me back an application form pretty swiftly. The was a telephone interview and a face to face one in Dublin. The whole process was fairly easy. I know they take people in September so might be no harm to drop them an email. One thing to note with sabis is that you state your first three preferences location wise- Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc but you won't be guaranteed it, they can send you anywhere. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Melli,

Also, do you know what times of the year they recruit teachers? If I was interested in going in January 2013 let's say, do you know if they recruit throughout the year, or only in June/September?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Melli

Thanks Melli,

Also, do you know what times of the year they recruit teachers? If I was interested in going in January 2013 let's say, do you know if they recruit throughout the year, or only in June/September?

Im not so sure I think they recruit throughout the year for the following year, doubt you could start in Jan as the academic year would be over in June but I could be wrong,check out sabiscareers.com. You should find some info there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Thanks Melli,

I think they may sometimes recruit during the academic year in cases where teachers leave. When I had my interview last October I was asked if I'd be interested in something at the time or waiting until the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Truthful24

sophia1234 wrote: »
    Hey i just got offered a job teaching English in a secondary school there too! no idea about anything else though! like you i just got the clothes memo! have you heard much about ruwais? its really difficult to get much substantial info on it!

Hey Sophia, I should have had my telephone interview at 8am today, but they called yesterday and rescheduled it for 12pm today. Im sat down anxiously waiting and its now 12.12 and theres no call yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sophia1234

Truthful24 wrote: »
    Hey Sophia, I should have had my telephone interview at 8am today, but they called yesterday and rescheduled it for 12pm today. Im sat down anxiously waiting and its now 12.12 and theres no call yet :(
    honestly dont panic the first time they rang me they cancelled 5 mins before interview and the next 2 times they were at least 45 mins late calling me so dont worry. if you want just send them an email asking if you have the correct rescheduled time. Hope it goes well !!

sophia1234 wrote: »
    honestly dont panic the first time they rang me they cancelled 5 mins before interview and the next 2 times they were at least 45 mins late calling me so dont worry. if you want just send them an email asking if you have the correct rescheduled time. Hope it goes well !!

Hey thanks Sophia :) Finally they just called yayaya. It was a very short interview. I had all the sheets in front of me as I thought they were going to ask me quite a lot but they didnt. He was really nice on the phone but he was quite serious :( I suppose so really. I think and I hope it went well, lol i started stuttering but he said I have all the information and I will speak to my director and let you know in 7 days. Im counting down, Lets see how it goes and what he says, im quite anxious to know.:eek: I will post and let ya know when I get a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sophia1234

no problem! yeah that was the same with mine its not a very long interview. don't worry i'm sure you have done great! hopefully they get back to you asap. keep us updated

I still haven't heard back if the school has received my documents that I sent by courier. I got a bit worried because when I tracked it online it didn't say that it was ever delivered. I have emailed sabis about this but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully I am just worrying over nothing..

• Advertisement

Katy_B wrote: »
    I still haven't heard back if the school has received my documents that I sent by courier. I got a bit worried because when I tracked it online it didn't say that it was ever delivered. I have emailed sabis about this but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully I am just worrying over nothing..

Hey Katy dont worry, hey why dont you give them a call, atleast that way you can reassure yourself. Hey post back and let me know how it goes. Hey dont worry k

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

Who did you send it with? Did you phone them up? I sent mine with FedEx. It was a bit pricey, but very good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 adinado

Hi guys,
    I had a phone interview with Sabis last week and they checked out my references and have emailed me today saying "This is to kindly ask you to send us a copy of your passport copy and degree certificate and transcripts as soon as possible". They didn't say if I could send them electronically or if i have to post them and where to? I've emailed back and hopefully they'll reply tomorrow as I think I'm quite late to be going through this process...but just wondering if this was the case with anyone else?

adinado wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I had a phone interview with Sabis last week and they checked out my references and have emailed me today saying "This is to kindly ask you to send us a copy of your passport copy and degree certificate and transcripts as soon as possible". They didn't say if I could send them electronically or if i have to post them and where to? I've emailed back and hopefully they'll reply tomorrow as I think I'm quite late to be going through this process...but just wondering if this was the case with anyone else?

Hey i had my phone interview last sunday and Im waiting to hear from them. Hey can you not send them electronically on the email address that said you have been shorlisted for a telephone interview? I assume if they a copy then it would be fine to send electronically if they want originals then they would probably want it by post. if im succesful I still need to go though this, keep us updated what happens.

I used courier post through An post. I am now wishing I used FedEx, although I really didn't think this would happen since it was supposed to have been sent by courier. It was never received by the school but the woman I spoke to told me that there was another case like this yesterday and that it turned up after calling different courier services.. I am now waiting for An post to call me bk. I really hope that they find it or I'll have to go through the whole thing again. :(

Sabis got back to me and said I could email them scanned copies of everything so I'm happy enough with that...you should get all your documents together now so if they do contact you again you can send them everything back pretty quickly and Katy hopefully you'll get good news about yours. Will keep yous posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Funkychicken12

KatyB I sent mine through an post and I checked the online tracker and it said it was delivered, however I havint been contacted as of yet that the school actually have it. It needs to get sorted ASAP so hopefully they will get back to you about it soon.

KatyB I sent mine through an post and I checked the online tracker and it said it was delivered, however I havint been contacted as of yet that the school actually have it. It needs to get sorted ASAP so hopefully they will get back to you about it soon.
    Yeah I really hope so too. I'm really mad about it because I was rushing to send it off in time so that it would be there before the end of May and then this happens :( An post are going to get back to me by Monday and if nothings found I may have to start from the beginning. :eek:

Hi guys,
    Wondering if i could get your opinions! Sabis have offered me a contract for a "spare teaching position" but on full time teachers pay and full time teachers benefits. I'm happy enough with it (although I would obviously prefer a full time position) but the problem is that while my base will be Abu Dhabi there is a spare clause on the contract stating that they can send me to cover any classes in the UAE, Oman, Qatar or Bahrain. I'm convinced that I'll be sent to Bahrain or somewhere and left there for the year! Has anyone had any experience with this type of contract? Don't know if i should play hard ball and refuse it in the hope of getting something more permanent or if it would be a good thing to do? Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 esp202

Hey Guys,

I came across a position for a Gymnastics Teacher with SABIS in UAE two days ago. I applied for it and was given a date for a telephone interview today. I haven't even submitted the application form. Is it normal to get a date for telephone interview that quickly?

Also I'm finding it difficult to find any information on how they run gymnastics over there. Is there a SABIS gymnastics syllabus that I would have to follow or would I be running my own classes? Anyone out there know what there facility's are like for gymnastics?

• Advertisement

Hey guys a didnt get through. Im so suprised, i thought i did really well but the recruitment officer wa such a dog that he said sorry uve been unsuccessful, im sooooo suprised and gutted and sooooo upset :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hey,

So I got offered a position in Al-Ain :) extremely excited!! Anyone else heading to Al-Ain?

Hey guys a didnt get through. Im so suprised, i thought i did really well but the recruitment officer wa such a dog that he said sorry uve been unsuccessful, im sooooo suprised and gutted and sooooo upset :(

Hey,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get it, it must be really frustrating. No harm in applying for next year I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 873

Alia89 wrote: »
    Hey,

So I got offered a position in Al-Ain :) extremely excited!! Anyone else heading to Al-Ain?

I am!!

Hey,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get it, it must be really frustrating. No harm in applying for next year I suppose?

Hey Well Done Alia, thats great. Im just gutted the telephone interview was easy and I just cant believe he said ive been unsuccessful. Im heart broken! I might just pursue a PGCE now in chemistry. What subject will you be teaching? and do you have a pgce?

Hey,

Hi well done. do you have to get your degree certified now? I think I have to get my documents certified again as they went missing in the post. really annoyed but I'm hoping I won't be too late sending it again.

Hey,

Thanks :) only just sent off the signed contract so just waiting to hear back from them of the next steps...there is one thing that is confusing me though, it states that a UAE security screening will be carried out...does that mean visa requirement process or further background checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 me54

hey, anybody for sharjah?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

:D
    me54 wrote: »
    hey, anybody for sharjah?
    Me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 me54

M442 wrote: »
    :D
    Me

oh yay!.. what are you teaching?? do you know anyone else going or over there?

Advertisement