Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Madness to see Chapmans in the centre of town has closed down.....whilst think that the Manor Inn reopened last night?

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Madness to see Chapmans in the centre of town has closed down.....whilst think that the Manor Inn reopened last night?

Brgds
    Johnny

Ya, it was known for a couple of months now that Chapmans was closing. I used to go there a good bit, but Niamh's has been my place for lunch in Clonmel mostly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya, it was known for a couple of months now that Chapmans was closing. I used to go there a good bit, but Niamh's has been my place for lunch in Clonmel mostly recently.
    when did it close?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

I taught Chapmans sorted rent/rates and were staying open??Landlords and counsil lot to answer for in this town...no help for local people at all in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Departed wrote: »
    when did it close?

Friday evening.

It won't be reopening.

• Advertisement

is sign up etc...thats a bit of a blow of the area

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

copy1 wrote: »
    I taught Chapmans sorted rent/rates and were staying open??Landlords and counsil lot to answer for in this town...no help for local people at all in Clonmel.

So true, it was a huge blow to lose present time from Market street, driven out by high rents and rates, it seems to be fast becoming a ghost street since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

All set yesterday for our mini breakfast in Chapman's.

Open the door and all in darkness.
    The landlord (I presume) was inside.
    He seemed to be as bewildered as we were, he said he got handed the keys on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

The Stonehouse on Thomas Street looks great from the outside - is it a restaurant or pub? Any idea what type of food if it's a restaurant?

Very sad to hear about Chapmans, liked meeting friends there for coffee.

Any more info on the book shop in Mitchell's street. I've missed the old one there when it closed - a thriving independent bookshop is a great sign of a town. Have to say it's always been a dream of mine to open one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Meathlass wrote: »
    The Stonehouse on Thomas Street looks great from the outside - is it a restaurant or pub? Any idea what type of food if it's a restaurant?

Very sad to hear about Chapmans, liked meeting friends there for coffee.

Any more info on the book shop in Mitchell's street. I've missed the old one there when it closed - a thriving independent bookshop is a great sign of a town. Have to say it's always been a dream of mine to open one.

I recognise the owner as the guy who opens a bookshop near Carl Scarpa at Christmas.
    He has a large selection of graphic novels (not my taste but each to their own!).

I've bought a few things off him through the years including a book on Saturday.

I suppose you'd call it a pop up book (store).

• Advertisement

I went to the Manor yesterday evening, there was irish music playing and a good crowd there.
    It was very nice and well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

No more admissions to ST. Michaels,and the unit will close in a month.The most vulnerable people suffering again.It's a bloody disgrace:mad:

The chipper down at marks and spencer is closed too. The chick king one not Eddie Rockets

DT100 wrote: »
    No more admissions to ST. Michaels,and the unit will close in a month.The most vulnerable people suffering again.It's a bloody disgrace:mad:
    Lots of things are a disgrace they just seem to get away with them

because people are to quite to speak up in this country...Clonmel is falling apart and 90 per cent of people just leavin it happen.

What is the point of electing TD'S when they have no power.....Its all very well standing up in the Dail and bringing up issues.They may as well spit in the wind.....Every one of them is a waste of tax payers money.We are up to our waist in ****e,and not a shovel between us:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

What is the point of electing TD'S when they have no power.....Its all very well standing up in the Dail and bringing up issues.They may as well spit in the wind.....Every one of them is a waste of tax payers money.We are up to our waist in ****e,and not a shovel between us:mad:

What's happening in Clonmel is a lot to do with the Town Council who are elected by us and receive tax payers money as well.

As I've said here before we need to hold our councillors to task about what's happening in the town but unfortunately they only seem interested in photo ops instead of doing what we elected them to do

alexmcred wrote: »
    What's happening in Clonmel is a lot to do with the Town Council who are elected by us and receive tax payers money as well.

As I've said here before we need to hold our councillors to task about what's happening in the town but unfortunately they only seem interested in photo ops instead of doing what we elected them to do

I know that ,thats why I said "What is the point of electing TD'S when they have no power"....

Did many turn out to see the President on Friday.I saw a picture somewhere online...I didnt see many around???

Did many turn out to see the President on Friday.I saw a picture somewhere online...I didnt see many around???

I was in town Friday but didnt go to see the president, even took the long way home to avoid the whole sorry event, which was very short from what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

alexmcred wrote: »

Agree with you, they need to reduce the rates and introduce incentives to get people into the town. Free parking one day a week every week would help. Encouraging stalls selling food in a centrel location would be another basically anything to get people into the town. I wont even go into allowing tesco to build on the edge of the town thus drawing people away from the centre.

Also Landlords in the town are not reducing rents that are putting people out of business.

Surely receiving lower rates and lower rent is better than receiving none what so ever.

They could also put pressure on the guards to try and sort out the problem of hoodies hanging around the town causing trouble and intimidating people.

I'm asking for too much I'll stop:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FulhamIreland

I don't think there is much the guards can do about hoodies hanging around the town, they have as much right to be there as you or I. Free parking could be a good idea though.

Agree with you, they need to reduce the rates and introduce incentives to get people into the town. Free parking one day a week every week would help. Encouraging stalls selling food in a centrel location would be another basically anything to get people into the town. I wont even go into allowing tesco to build on the edge of the town thus drawing people away from the centre.

Also Landlords in the town are not reducing rents that are putting people out of business.

Surely receiving lower rates and lower rent is better than receiving none what so ever.

They could also put pressure on the guards to try and sort out the problem of hoodies hanging around the town causing trouble and intimidating people.

I'm asking for too much I'll stop:o[/QUOTE
    +1 on the free parking and reducing rents and rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

We definately haven't the best track record on TDs. Martin Mansgher, Mattie McGrath, Tom Hayes, Seamus Healy, Noel Davern, Theresa Ahern are a parade of the pointless. Anytime they were on TV you would cringe with shame. But then when you look at the candidates we rejected (Murphy, Prendergast, Browne, O'Donnell, etc) you realise we probably elected the best of a bad lot. The meetings of the local political parties must be like something from a home for the bewildered. If these are the best they can put forward can you imagine the drooling shuffling gob****es that didn't get selected.

But we'll have Michael Lowery representing us next time in the new merged five seater so he'll probably bring a Universial Studios Theme park to Fethard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

touts wrote: »
    But we'll have Michael Lowery representing us next time in the new merged five seater so he'll probably bring a Universial Studios Theme park to Fethard.

Love him or hate him..At least he actually does something for the people he represents !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Poor showing due in part to the lack of advertisement. Most people I talked to didn't know a thing about his visit. I was in a shop and three strangers didn't have a clue. Could have been advertised much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

The difference a week makes, I was away for the last week in Dublin came back and found out the President was here (heard nothing about this at all), Chapmans is gone( big shock) Chick king is gone ( no shock there) st lukes and st michaels confirmed going this month shocking.... ANY GOOD NEWS OUT THERE PEOPLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

solerina wrote: »
    Love him or hate him..At least he actually does something for the people he represents !!!

Have to agree with you here south Tipp needs a TD like hime to actully get things done I for one dont care if he made a few quid out of it along the way at least he delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Royco wrote: »
    Have to agree with you here south Tipp needs a TD like hime to actully get things done I for one dont care if he made a few quid out of it along the way at least he delivers.

Yeah, and who will be first on here complaining about "corrupt politicians" if he is caught with his hand in the till ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Royco wrote: »
    .... ANY GOOD NEWS OUT THERE PEOPLE.

I found fifty cents in town today. Made me laugh. :)

Advertisement