Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cerbera wrote: »
    Good reports so far on the new Stonehouse place.

A friend was there the other night and was well impressed.

Oh and he said it's definitely not a member of the Clifford family that's running it.

I already said that a few posts above this . . .

They live in Dublin sure!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

callaway92 wrote: »
    I already said that a few posts above this . . .

They live in Dublin sure!!!

*He's only 20, so a good future for him. He's not in Cahir or Clonmel though. In Ranelagh in Dublin now and doing v.well!*

That was made clear from that part of your post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

Good reports so far on the new Stonehouse place.

A friend was there the other night and was well impressed.

Oh and he said it's definitely not a member of the Clifford family that's running it.

Tell us more, what exactly are the good reports so far? People here including myself are interested in any new business opening in town, and would like to see them suceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I see D'Amigos has closed its doors too. Pity I enjoyed the grub in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Just the restaurant or the pub as well?

• Advertisement

Just the restaraunt as far as I know. It was leased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

:( Ah I used to enjoy their food. When did this happen?

:( Ah I used to enjoy their food. When did this happen?

They announced it on their Facebook page tonight. Must have been unseen as they had only uploaded opening timespic the other day. Pity to see another business close.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

hamco wrote: »
    Tell us more, what exactly are the good reports so far? .....

They said the food was very nice.

What other sort of good report could you get about a restaurant really? ;)

They said the food was very nice.

What other sort of good report could you get about a restaurant really? ;)

Good food, nice staff and decent price would be the key things.

Lets wish them the best of luck, hope to visit it soon with the missus who is very keen to try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Surprised that a decent steakhouse cannot make things pay with the venue(even with previous owners etc and not knocking the present crowd) - however was in the Posthouse the other night late(Friday) and was quiet enough at 1230am compared to how O'Keeffes and even Mulcahys would be.....

One thing I will say though - there seems to be a hell of a lot of competition within 5 mins walk in the town foodwise(McD's and Abra excepted of course)

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

shame another good place gone was very sudden and by all accounts posthouse mightnt be far behind. Catherine o Donnell who ran the place is an excellent host hope she opens another food place

Royco wrote: »
    shame another good place gone was very sudden and by all accounts posthouse mightnt be far behind.

Best to keep speculation to yourself. I'm fairly sure one or two staff from there have posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Surprised that a decent steakhouse cannot make things pay with the venue(even with previous owners etc and not knocking the present crowd) - however was in the Posthouse the other night late(Friday) and was quiet enough at 1230am compared to how O'Keeffes and even Mulcahys would be.....

One thing I will say though - there seems to be a hell of a lot of competition within 5 mins walk in the town foodwise(McD's and Abra excepted of course)

Brgds
    Johnny

They've been quite for some time now but are still open. Mulchays has got very quite compared to a few years ago and O'Keeffes are not making as much as you'd think considering people are pre-loaded before going there and the huge overheads they have(still making money though). The pubs making money have to be places like the harp/gleesons/coachman.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very sad to see D'amigos go, great little place but has been finding it difficult for years now to generate any big business. I wish Catherine and Jack all the best. They are lovely, honest, hardworking people who always made you feel at home.

Very sad to see another business go and many others struggle in town. And I fear there will be other closes to come. Still shocked that Lonergan's to this day was never snapped up and someone have a go with it, especially the off license! I suppose the pub trade is a dying business tho.

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Very sad to see D'amigos go, great little place but has been finding it difficult for years now to generate any big business. I wish Catherine and Jack all the best. They are lovely, honest, hardworking people who always made you feel at home.

Very sad to see another business go and many others struggle in town. And I fear there will be other closes to come. Still shocked that Lonergan's to this day was never snapped up and someone have a go with it, especially the off license! I suppose the pub trade is a dying business tho.

I often wondered why no one took over Lonergan's, Its not advertised as for sale or to lease on Daft or any of the usual sites.
    A fine building going to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

hamco wrote: »
    lockie1983 wrote: »

I often wondered why no one took over Lonergan's, Its not advertised as for sale or to lease on Daft or any of the usual sites.
    A fine building going to waste.

As far as I know there were people ready to take the lease but it fell though due to some difficulties on Lonergan side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

I see that Parkes pharmacy has deteriorated further than when this photo was taken with the entire right hand window pane gone and the display removed.
    img0371xk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

cml387 wrote: »
    I see that Parkes pharmacy has deteriorated further than when this photo was taken with the entire right hand window pane gone and the display removed.
    img0371xk.jpg
    It's an absolute shame. Have thought for years that it would make a great coffee shop (keeping as much of the interior as possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Parkes is a real shame, a stunning old front falling apart. The poor man that owns it still lives in there....cant be too warm in winter !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

That shop front should be preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

Wow! I was under the impression for years that the whole block belonged to St. Peter & Pauls. The poor man obviously doesn't want to sell, otherwise he would have years ago, I would love to see the shop front preserved, it could be fabulous. Such a shame.....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭tobey

the stone house is run by a chef from chapter one in dublin and owned by a guy who owns lautrecs brasserie in kilkenny,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

tobey wrote: »
    the stone house is run by a chef from chapter one in dublin and owned by a guy who owns lautrecs brasserie in kilkenny,

Not to bed bad where did the guy from lautrecs in kilkenny get the money he went belly up last year and was closed for about 3 weeks and re open as a sole trader and there not that busy. Also he had a place in carlow and that is gone to so i don't no where your getting that info from.

And it wont last the only way i think a restaurant does well if that the owner basely lives in the place i have EXP with that one.

I think where it is not really a good spot not in the town. €30 euros for a main with places closing down by the week in clonmel by the week. I will give them less then a year and i would bet with anyone on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

samdavis wrote: »
    Wow! I was under the impression for years that the whole block belonged to St. Peter & Pauls. The poor man obviously doesn't want to sell, otherwise he would have years ago, I would love to see the shop front preserved, it could be fabulous. Such a shame.....

Guy called Bernard Loughman and his sister live there (their father was a TD years ago apparently).....definately not owned by Peters and Pauls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monisey

solerina wrote: »
    samdavis wrote: »

Guy called Bernard Loughman and his sister live there (their father was a TD years ago apparently).....definately not owned by Peters and Pauls.

I was sad to see that window. I remember going in there years ago, he had one of those really old cash registers. It should definitely be preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HappyMum13

Hi all,

The stone house is not being run by Michael Clifford's son Peter. Peter is Living and working in Laois.

The head chef is someone who used to work in Clifford's restaurant when it was owned and run by the Cliffords and has now returned to the premises on his own venture.

Just thought I would clear things up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

A dog (Bitch) has gone missing in Clonmel around the fire station/haywood hill area.

She's all black with a bit of white on her chin and shes wearing a black collar.

anyone with any info please PM me.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A dog (Bitch) has gone missing in Clonmel around the fire station/haywood hill area.

She's all black with a bit of white on her chin and shes wearing a black collar.

anyone with any info please PM me.

Thanks.

Will keep look out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The dog was found safe and sound.

The pound had her so they gave us a ring when the picked her up.:)

Advertisement