Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

krudler wrote: »
    except for the fcuked up part where the Josh Hartnett gets raped
    Yep, one of those infamous scenes just due to the absolute ignorance of the whole thing!

And not to get into the whole "imagine if the roles were reversed" scenario (since that's best suited to another thread)... but yes, it's a strange strange climax (no pun intended) to the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well you're the only person who hasn't had issue with Drive. Avforums, blu-ray.com and others have numerous threads discussing the issue.

I doubt that I'm "the only person".

I've seen the thread on AVforums, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. There have been a few people mentioning that they've had issues with some flicks.

I can certainly say that I haven't had any issue with any DVD or Blu-ray I've put through it, including 'Drive', 'Kill List' and 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy', which one user on AVforums mentioned in a list.

It's possible that there are units out there that are faulty, of course. But, I've got two of them already and have had no problems.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I doubt that I'm "the only person".

I've seen the thread on AVforums, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. There have been a few people mentioning that they've had issues with some flicks.

I can certainly say that I haven't had any issue with any DVD or Blu-ray I've put through it, including 'Drive', 'Kill List' and 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy', which one user on AVforums mentioned in a list.

It's possible that there are units out there that are faulty, of course. But, I've got two of them already and have had no problems.

I know one person who went through 6 of them and every one of them had the same issue. It got to the stage where Curry's told him to bring in the disc and then checked the stock they had instore. Everyone of them that they tried had the same issue with the same discs. He ended up going for the more expensive 3D Toshiba player and using the firmware on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The moral of this discussion: Region encoding is of the devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Watching Scum now. Brutal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Battleship Potemkin. The Odessa staircase scene really makes this film - before then I had been enjoying it but not overly so, but this scene really elevates the whole film into something very memorable. Quite powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Chap from earth lands on Mars with superhero powers (great at jumping basically), one minute he's tearing down whole armies of rampaging aliens & next one guy puts shackles on him & he's a weak kitten again, for no apparent reason.

um...it was the effect on his body of the lesser martian gravity. his body was denser, therefore he seemed stronger and faster (think superman on earth) but it's an illusion. it's actually everybody else that's weaker than what someone of equal size/build would be expected to be here and how his strength is more focused, hence he broke the rock. that's why he couldn't crack the shackles. they're still thick steel. and as for the armies, about a hundred of them dog-piled on top of him! who's going to get up from that?

anyway, rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Carlito's Way.

Incredible. Enjoy it every time, definitely a favourite. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend that you fix that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I'm a Cyborg But That's OK

Bizarre romantic comedy. Well worth a watch if you are in the mood for something completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I watched Falling Down again last night, surely one of the most definitive movies of the 90's, sums up the decade perfectly. What a performance by Douglas and great supporting roles such as Frederic Forrest as the Nazi.

The tension caused by the heat in that film is almost unbearable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Last night I watched Tyrannosaur.

Good movie but not for the faint hearted. The movie is based around a man (Peter Mullan) struggling to turn his life around while battling mental illness where his past behaviour torments him. He is afforded the opportunity to redeem his past by helping a "do-gooder", "holy person", with the "perfect life" called Hannah (Olivia Colman from The Peep Show).

Very strong performances from both the main actors and really make the story hit home. I watched this last night and I was not in the best of moods and this sure didn't make me feel any better. But it is a good watch and if you ever need to be depressed or brought back down to earth and see how bad other people might have it, then this is the movie for you.

I give it a solid 7/10

I know one person who went through 6 of them and every one of them had the same issue. It got to the stage where Curry's told him to bring in the disc and then checked the stock they had instore. Everyone of them that they tried had the same issue with the same discs. He ended up going for the more expensive 3D Toshiba player and using the firmware on that one.

The Australian multi-region firmware will only work on the BDX1200.

In any case, I've yet to see any issue regarding discs. That doesn't mean that something won't come up in the future. There is always the potential for foul ups with hardware like this. I had a Philips DVD recorder a few years ago that refused to recognise Philips re-writable DVDs! There own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Das Boot - Directors Cut

First time watching the full film and it really is a masterpiece. The blu ray looks great and the sound top notch. It automatically plays in dubbed English, but I turned on the German language with English subtitles which is the only way to watch this film.

The Australian multi-region firmware will only work on the BDX1200.

In any case, I've yet to see any issue regarding discs. That doesn't mean that something won't come up in the future. There is always the potential for foul ups with hardware like this. I had a Philips DVD recorder a few years ago that refused to recognise Philips re-writable DVDs! There own brand.

Works on the 3D player also, done it on a number of machines and all have worked perfectly.

Anyone I have spoke to has had issue with the discs in the player. Perhaps it's a case that you don't notice it, I know one friend who had the player and didn't notice any issue till I pointed it out to him. Since then it's been driving him crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) :

A few gang members are gunned down by cops which causes that gang to swear a blood oath of revenge on the cops and the town in general. They proceed to lay silent siege to a near abandoned police station containing a few police officers, a civilian who the gang particularly wants to kill and a couple of prisoners overnighting there.

The atmosphere of the film is terrific. It's got an addictive synthy score and it just has that cool 70s look and feel but the acting and the setup is pretty bad all round. Everything about the gang and their actions seems poorly thought out. Their mindless method of laying siege put me in mind of a zombie movie which is how I began to view the film while watching it. It also helped me to imagine it as being set in the same universe as The Warriors, that way I could forgive a lot of the plot inconsistency and just enjoy the action and 70s ambiance. 6.5/10

Works on the 3D player also, done it on a number of machines and all have worked perfectly.

Anyone I have spoke to has had issue with the discs in the player. Perhaps it's a case that you don't notice it, I know one friend who had the player and didn't notice any issue till I pointed it out to him. Since then it's been driving him crazy.

What's the model that it worked on?

What's the model that it worked on?

The Toshiba BDX3200KB (British model) or BDX3200KE (European model)

Cool, cheers Darko.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Convoy - based on the hit song. One of the first of the silly road movies with a Southern sheriff giving chase. Ali McGraw look black in this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JTR

I finally got around to watching "Buried" with Ryan Reynolds, have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. It was far better than I was expecting.

Also watched the most recent Mission Impossible, watching Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise playing a fictional character just isnt the same these days, and my lord he has gotten old looking. I wouldnt recommend it, it wasnt great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched two sports-related films over the last twenty four hours.

Raging Bull: One of those films that, for some hard to define reason, I just never got around to. Technically, it's one of cinema's greats, no doubt about it. The boxing scenes are magical, and the sequence that springs through the forties and into the fifties is one of the all time great montages (Thelma Schoonmaker is just brilliant). The story is a thematically complex one, and De Niro's performance is dominating throughout (especially in the 'later' parts). That said, I couldn't really find a character to relate to in it, as they were all pretty much unlikeable gits - I was amazed to see Jake La Motta credited as a consultant: brutal honesty or what! There are themes and insights that overlap with both older and later Scorcese films (especially the loveless marriage routine). Still, a film I greatly admired and appreciated from a removed and technical standpoint, although emotionally it left me a bit cold. Maybe that's the point? Still, as a portrait of self-destruction it's fascinating.

She-Monkeys: Unusual Swedish coming-of-age stories. Very similar thematically to Water Lillies a few years ago. Both tell of (almost premature) sexual awakenings between two girls on sporting teams. This time we're in the competitive world of... em... equestrian gymnastics? It's a curious, dark film that is interesting if rarely special. The film's subplot of a pre-teen falling in love with her much older cousin makes for extremely uncomfortable (just barely staying on the right side of decency) although proves an interesting commentary on the oversexualisation of children. Not family viewing, then, but an intelligent if unspectacular diversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The Pact! The dodgy acting and even dodgier script made me want to switch off after 20 minutes but I stuck it out and it got easier :D Crazy twist near the end makes it worthwhile and leaves you thinking that the screenplay writers are either total geniuses or total idiots for not making more of the storyline in the first hour....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Das Boot - Directors Cut

First time watching the full film and it really is a masterpiece. The blu ray looks great and the sound top notch. It automatically plays in dubbed English, but I turned on the German language with English subtitles which is the only way to watch this film.

I just got that on DVD yesterday. I'll definitely look forward to watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Cowboys & Aliens tonight. I understand it wasnt too well received but I honestly enjoyed it and would easily recommend it to a scifi fan; maybe not so much to a hard core western fan cause, you know, aliens but even just as a western I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Carlito's Way.

Incredible. Enjoy it every time, definitely a favourite. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend that you fix that.

Watched this for the first time only last week and while I really enjoyed it I do think it would have been better if the movie started in the courthouse rather than him just thinking back to that after being shot. A lot of the suspense was lost, especially when they were running around the train station, since I knew the whole time he'd get shot so rather than wondering if he'd get away and start a new life I was just waiting for the gunman to take him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

Watched Platoon yesterday for the first time. Good movie, strange to see that gob****e Charlie Sheen in something good. Its on MGM on demand, on the new UPC on demand service which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Tonight's film was Iron Sky

It wasn't what I expected at all...I was thinking a more Spaceballs type of thing, but I didn't get the impression it was trying to be overly funny. There was still a few funny moments and a decent film over all. Worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Watched the first Matrix last night, for the first time. Fantastic movie, probably gonna watch the second one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

The Thing (1982).

First time I've seen it. Very good film built around suspense and paranoia. One of the best horror films I've seen. Interesting ending and a Morricone soundtrack always goes down a treat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Watched the first Matrix last night, for the first time. Fantastic movie, probably gonna watch the second one now.
    What do you mean? There's only one Matrix movie....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Grave of the Fireflies and Howl's Moving Castle during the week. Loved them both. Shed a tear at the end GOTF. Still feel miserable thinking about it. Unfortunately had to watch the English versions as I had non-subtitle watching company with me, but will watch the original language versions in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement