Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've never seen a remake of a film (not talking about another version of a book or play) that was as good as or better than the original:

The Thing? No
    The Taking of Pelham 123? No.
    The Lady Killers? Your jokin.
    The Day THe Earth Stood Sill? Hell no.
    Pyscho? F*ck no.
    etc.

the 1982 The Thing is a remake. as is The Fly, both superior movies to their originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,782 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Coen's "True Grit", Soderbergh's "Oceans Eleven" and Frank Oz's "Little Shop Of Horrors" were all, in my opinion, superior to their originals.

Basq wrote: »
    The Coen's "True Grit", Soderbergh's "Oceans Eleven" and Frank Oz's "Little Shop Of Horrors" were all, in my opinion, superior to their originals.

i forgot Oceans was a remake, the Rat Pack one is godawful, I watched it out of curiousity one day on channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Seen The Flowers of War last night. Git Bale was up to his normal high standards.
    Film it's self was very good and it refreshing to see a movie not take short cuts by making everyone speak the same language.
    Hard in parts to watch but one I would defo recommend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,962 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Basq wrote: »
    Watched 'Drive' over weekend. Ryan Gosling was handsome stunt driver who was friends with Walter White. Vroom vroom. Heads split open. Ending was fulfilling yet open-ended. Kthxbye!

Am I the only one that thinks that theres a bit of codology going on with 'Drive'?

It's an ok film, but the laudation that's being heaped upon it is all out of proportion to it's actual content.

I think Gosling is a decent actor and I've been watching him since 'The Believer', but I honestly don't think he's showing off his wears to the fullest degree here. His vacant act became somewhat irritating after a while. Albert Brooks handled himself better, in my opinion.

I also didn't find the film to be all that "stylish" either, which seems to be the adjective that's most associated with it. The opening scene was very well handled, but the film didn't ultimately live up to it.

• Advertisement

jcf wrote: »
    The Big Lebowki - gonna be slated for this , but what the hell is all the fuss about ??

a decent film, but no way does it merit it's 8.2 rating on imdb..

I thought the same when I first saw it in the cinema when it came out in 1998. But over the years it definitely has grown on me.

Not the brothers finest hour, by any means, but it really is a good film.

Perhaps it needs to be watched more than once?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I partially agree. I very much appreciate Drive for what it is (and the opening scene is fantastic) but it is as hollow as anything. It's a visual and audio treat, no doubt about it, but I felt its best scene was the opening and it was somewhat less interesting from thereon in. A very enjoyable film and technically accomplished, no doubt about it, but I'd stop short of gushing praise.

That said, hype and consensus as concepts are fascinating within an Internet and forum context. It's very hard to navigate, and TBH all that one can really do is make up their own genuine opinion on any given film. It should be encouraged. It's like The Avengers - I thought the reaction to that was out of any sort of proportion with what was, in my personal interpretation, a moderately enjoyable and unambitious superhero film. But that's just me, and everyone else is entitled to their excitement. I've certainly been guilty of being overly fond of some films, perhaps out of measure with what they actually are.

But hey: disparate, conflicting opinions are what make this forum keep ticking over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Takeshi Kitano's Boiling Point.

I could see why a lot of people would be totally baffled/left cold by this. But I loved just how unpredictable, off the wall and hilarious it was. Nothing like how I was expecting it to be and really how many movies have you seen where you haven't got a clue where it's going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

3:10 to Yuma was a good remake, also The Fly

Oceans 11 with Pitt and Clooney is a great remake. The original is rubbish IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Pepé le Moko - every scene in this French movie is out of focus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Prometius. It was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Michael (2011) 5 months on the life of a paedophile.
    Made me feel queasy tbh.i dont really know what to say about the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Just watching that Deja Vu film with Denzel Washington. What the f*ck is going on? :confused:

What a ridiculous plot. Fun though...I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Just watching that Deja Vu film with Denzel Washington. What the f*ck is going on? :confused:

What a ridiculous plot. Fun though...I think
    Dont worry, towards the end you will feel like youve seen it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

enter the dragon

"Don't think...feeel!!!"

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

The Raid Redemption [2011]

A cracking Indoneisian action film - one of the best I've seen in a good while. Premise is simple enough, in Jacarta there is a building which houses all of the nastiest criminals, a group of police arrive to take it back, get caught in the middle, and have to fight their way out.

Great long action shots with fantastic set pieces using a lot of talented martial artists and stunt men

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Carry on doctor - Frankie Howerd ends up in hospital with usual cast but it's not one of the better ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

McChubbin wrote: »
    Prometius. It was amazing.

Was a bit disappointed with it myself tbh :(

Watched one called Let It Be with Robert Pattinson in it yesterday. Quite possibly the biggest load of sh1te I ever wasted my time on. The plot was stagnant, the characters were convuluted to the point of being almost like caricatures and by the end of the movie, nothing has happened and you're left there wondering what hole in space the last 82 minutes was sucked into.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

briany wrote: »
    Drive is a good movie but the film just can't sustain the level set by the opening five minutes nor does it try to. That's OK, it's just that sometimes you think a film is going one way and then it goes another.

The opening five minutes?A car chase?

Let me guess,you're a fan of the Too Fast Too Furious franchise.:rolleyes:

It is posters like this that make me wonder why I bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

lynchy101 wrote: »

Jumping the gun a bit there. I've never seen that film that you're referring to, nor am I a fan of action films generally.

Anyway, I was talking more about the tone and the atmosphere that was established in the opening which was not done by the chase but more by the ultra cool setting, character and opening credits with the style they had and the music playing over them. Even if that goes beyond the opening five minutes, you could tell by the car chase alone and the presentation of that, it wasn't going to be a car chase action movie but I thought it would be a look at the seedy underbelly of L.A. or something like that and was not expecting the whole
    love triangle/pitting wits against a jewish mobster
    . Nothing wrong with that, just sometimes you prepare yourself for one thing, there's a left turn and you readjust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

There is absolutely no call for that attitude. This is a film forum for everyone of differing tastes and not a place for you to look down your nose at people. That actually says more about you than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Just watched Leaving Las Vegas. Great show and not at all what I was expecting. Alot more f*cked up than I had in mind! I love Cage when he is on form and it is as much Elizabeth Shue's film as it is his, even more so perhaps as the film progresses.

I loved Drive and I thought Fast Five was the best American action movie of the past few years, crazily people do have differing opinions about movies.

SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN

'Prometheus'

Again, SPOILERS...so don't read, if you don't want to know, or haven't already seen the film.

In any case, I wasn't that pushed with the whole thing, I have to be honest and I can see why it's only getting so-so reviews. I avoided everything to do with the film in the run up to seeing it in the cinema, but the title was a big giveaway if you know anything about the Greek/Roman myths. So, I was going in relatively blank, but knowing it had something to do with the creation of mankind, or "stealing fire from the gods" :D

We went to a 3D show, which in hindsight was probably a big mistake, as it wasn't that impressive and took away from the film, although there were some moments that were very well handled. I think that we were too close to the screen and the glasses we had were pretty terrible, with large frames that interfered with view of the screen. I was also getting some double vision, especially on text. 3D is just an awful gimmick really.

As far as being part of the 'Alien' franchise, I felt that that was very tacked on and even unnecessary. It just didn't seem to fit at all. It never seems like a prequel to 'Alien', more like a prequel to 'Prometheus 2'. I got the distinct impression that the 'Alien' prequel thingy was an effort to get bums on seats, rather than a legit effort at a genuine chapter in the series. Another issue is that a lot of the technology looks like it dates from AFTER 'Alien'/'Aliens', even though those films take place many years in the future. It wouldn't have been that hard to lock down the tech aspect of the film and make it fit better.

It's all acted fairly well, even if there are a few too many characters and I had the feeling that there was a bit too much exposition going on. There are also a number of moments where I was saying to myself "what was the point in that?". There's two particularly silly parts in the running time and a heavy reliance on a kind of "Deus Ex Machina".

The worst part was the "deconstruction" of the "Space Jockey" being from 'Alien'. In Prometheus, the "Space Jockey" is a humanoid guy in a suit! This is clearly a terrible idea, as when it was first conceived and created, it was obviously a fossilised creature of some description when shown in 'Alien'. A creature that had rotted to reveal skeletal remains, where a "chestburster' had erupted through its ribs, which offered the portent of the immediate future for John Hurt's character. It's a particular let down.

Another, quite idiotic, suggestion from the film is that the "Engineers" of mankind had been harvesting alien species as a form of biological weapon. This is an idea that Scott had been, sort of, pushing for a while. But, frankly I think it's an incredibly stupid premise. The idea that in order to defeat an enemy, one would replace that enemy with an, arguably, even more dangerous enemy is an incredibly ill-conceived thought. If it's a weapon of pure extermination, then perhaps that may fly, but I really don't like the whole aspect at all.

Over all though, it's not a bad film in it's own right. But, as an entry into the 'Alien' series it's a failure. It's not as much of a failure as the atrocious 'Alien Resurrection', but it's still a failure. Seems more like an addition to the 'Alien vs Predator' sub-series...and the less said about that, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tony EH wrote: »
    SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN

'Prometheus'

Again, SPOILERS...so don't read, if you don't want to know, or haven't already seen the film.
    In any case, I wasn't that pushed with the whole thing, I have to be honest and I can see why it's only getting so-so reviews. I avoided everything to do with the film in the run up to seeing it in the cinema, but the title was a big giveaway if you know anything about the Greek/Roman myths. So, I was going in relatively blank, but knowing it had something to do with the creation of mankind, or "stealing fire from the gods" :D

We went to a 3D show, which in hindsight was probably a big mistake, as it wasn't that impressive and took away from the film, although there were some moments that were very well handled. I think that we were too close to the screen and the glasses we had were pretty terrible, with large frames that interfered with view of the screen. I was also getting some double vision, especially on text. 3D is just an awful gimmick really.

As far as being part of the 'Alien' franchise, I felt that that was very tacked on and even unnecessary. It just didn't seem to fit at all. It never seems like a prequel to 'Alien', more like a prequel to 'Prometheus 2'. I got the distinct impression that the 'Alien' prequel thingy was an effort to get bums on seats, rather than a legit effort at a genuine chapter in the series. Another issue is that a lot of the technology looks like it dates from AFTER 'Alien'/'Aliens', even though those films take place many years in the future. It wouldn't have been that hard to lock down the tech aspect of the film and make it fit better.

It's all acted fairly well, even if there are a few too many characters and I had the feeling that there was a bit too much exposition going on. There are also a number of moments where I was saying to myself "what was the point in that?". There's two particularly silly parts in the running time and a heavy reliance on a kind of "Deus Ex Machina".

The worst part was the "deconstruction" of the "Space Jockey" being from 'Alien'. In Prometheus, the "Space Jockey" is a humanoid guy in a suit! This is clearly a terrible idea, as when it was first conceived and created, it was obviously a fossilised creature of some description when shown in 'Alien'. A creature that had rotted to reveal skeletal remains, where a "chestburster' had erupted through its ribs, which offered the portent of the immediate future for John Hurt's character. It's a particular let down.

Another, quite idiotic, suggestion from the film is that the "Engineers" of mankind had been harvesting alien species as a form of biological weapon. This is an idea that Scott had been, sort of, pushing for a while. But, frankly I think it's an incredibly stupid premise. The idea that in order to defeat an enemy, one would replace that enemy with an, arguably, even more dangerous enemy is an incredibly ill-conceived thought. If it's a weapon of pure extermination, then perhaps that may fly, but I really don't like the whole aspect at all.

Over all though, it's not a bad film in it's own right. But, as an entry into the 'Alien' series it's a failure. It's not as much of a failure as the atrocious 'Alien Resurrection', but it's still a failure. Seems more like an addition to the 'Alien vs Predator' sub-series...and the less said about that, the better.

Fixed! Maybe text looks better than big grey blocks but just for the sake of anyone who might who might inadvertently lay eyes on or catch a stray word or half sentence as they are scrolling past....:)

JFK- not sure really why I chose to watch a 3+ hour movie with a hangover :pac: its a fascinating film either a mad conspiracy theory or something based on undeniable facts, its also one of the best edited movies ever made, the structure and flow of it is stunningly good:

John Williams' score is phenomenal as well, I had never see the JFK "headshot" before seeing this movie, even though the zapruder film is one of the most infamous pieces of footage ever shot, its pretty shocking.

JFK- not sure really why I chose to watch a 3+ hour movie with a hangover :pac: its a fascinating film either a mad conspiracy theory or something based on undeniable facts, its also one of the best edited movies ever made, the structure and flow of it is stunningly good:

John Williams' score is phenomenal as well, I had never see the JFK "headshot" before seeing this movie, even though the zapruder film is one of the most infamous pieces of footage ever shot, its pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

briany wrote: »
    [/SPOILER]

Fixed! Maybe text looks better than big grey blocks but just for the sake of anyone who might who might inadvertently lay eyes on or catch a stray word or half sentence as they are scrolling past....:)
    Lol, you didn't think this through, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Aliens. - not as impressed as I should have been.

Con Air - classic 90's cheese. Loved it. John Malkovich rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Alien.

Class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement