Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Raid: What an amazing film. Thoroughly enjoyed it from the first to the last minute. One of the best action films I've seen in a very very long time. Haven't been to a screening of a film that provoked such an audience reaction like that.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Get the Gringo (AKA How I Spent my Summer Vacation): Lots of good ideas but they felt wasted on this mediocre effort. Gibson was his usual stalwart self but the script was a mess of poorly-thought out, confusing ideas and one-dimensional characters.

The problem with making a gritty action movie is that if you forget to make it gritty tand dont have much action, it's just plain bad.

Man on a Ledge: Slick, stylish, and very enjoyable. Completely implausible of course, and seeing Elizabeth Banks in a serious role was a little off-putting - but all told, a very enjoyable movie that didn't take itself too seriously at all.

A lot of critics have written about how they really 'got' the 'claustrophobia' of being out on that ledge but I can't say I got that myself. Bar one or two remarkable shots at the start of the movie, I felt a little more creativity was called for on that front. But having said that, the movie is more than strong enough to get by without having to rely on the gimmick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A Life Less Ordinary

Holly Hunter is brilliant in this. But the ending - WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

21 Jump Street
    I actually wanted to turn it off,thought it was not funny and just a bad movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Just watched Man on Wire on BBC2. Stunning documentary about a stunning feat. You just cannot help being drawn in by the man's enthusiasm for life.

Highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Last Action Hero Has been and will always be one of my favourite movies. I saw this in the cinema when it was out, me being 10 at the time and still love it 19 years later :eek: .Every second line is quote gold and it is packed with little jokes at the action movie industry and great cameo's

Will always be in my top 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched Act of Valor and John Carter of Mars, both decent films,

im kinda surprised john carter done so bad at the BO, its seemed like a proper summer popcorn film, it was a great story and was well told, and it looked fantastic,

act of valor i must say i was well impressed with, from what i made of it it went into great detail of how tactical some of the stuff these people do, still doubt im gonna join the army though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GAAman wrote: »
    Last Action Hero Has been and will always be one of my favourite movies. I saw this in the cinema when it was out, me being 10 at the time and still love it 19 years later :eek: .Every second line is quote gold and it is packed with little jokes at the action movie industry and great cameo's

Will always be in my top 5!

Really fun movie, completely rips the piss out of action movies, I much prefer the later act where its in the real world, Arnie getting pissed that he cant smash a car window without hurting his hand and that cars dont explode when you shoout the petrol cap :pac: Charles Dance is fantastic in it as well (as he is in everything) "I've shot someone and I did it on purpose!"

its a pity it was such a flop on release, releasing it the week after some movie about dinosaurs didnt do it any favours, maybe audiences didnt get what it was trying to do, was doing the postmodern genre pisstake years before Scream made it cool .

The Dictator:

A lot better than I expected. It's not the funniest thing Sacha Baron Cohen has done but it's still very entertaining. Laughed a lot more than I thought I would though if you're easily offended you should probably give it a miss.

krudler wrote: »
    Really fun movie, completely rips the piss out of action movies, I much prefer the later act where its in the real world, Arnie getting pissed that he cant smash a car window without hurting his hand and that cars dont explode when you shoout the petrol cap :pac: Charles Dance is fantastic in it as well (as he is in everything) "I've shot someone and I did it on purpose!"

its a pity it was such a flop on release, releasing it the week after some movie about dinosaurs didnt do it any favours, maybe audiences didnt get what it was trying to do, was doing the postmodern genre pisstake years before Scream made it cool .

I think I prefer the film world, where every woman is a total knockout, everyone's phone number is 555-xxxx (As in every other film!) the female cops are hot latex clad shotgun wielders and a cartoon cat cop voiced by Danny DeVito doesn't raise any eyebrows at all!

Agreed in Charles Dance's excellence, his evil villain is almost Shakespearean in eloquence and deviousness, it is probably his soliloquy that makes me think that. I meant to say this in the other post must have slipped my mind!

I did not know about it being released around the same time as Jurassic Park, though having said that I saw both in the cinema. In fairness it was always going to be a loser in that race "oh my God DINOSAURS!!!!!!". A couple of friends had never seen it so a few years ago I introduced them to it, I was surprised as one of them loved Commando so much he created a drinking game to it! :pac:
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The Dictator:

A lot better than I expected. It's not the funniest thing Sacha Baron Cohen has done but it's still very entertaining. Laughed a lot more than I thought I would though if you're easily offended you should probably give it a miss.

To be fair, if someone is easily offended and goes to a Sasha Baron Cohen film, they automatically lose the right to bítch and moan in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some people spend their lives trying to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

That_Guy wrote: »
    The Dictator:

Just as a contrast, I saw the Dictator last Thursday (I posted in the Dictator thread too). I thought it was a lot worse than I expected it to be, though I may have set my hopes too high. There were a few hilarious parts, but I found it to be weak overall. I thought the best comedy came when the dictator was in power, which isn't for a lot of the film. I thought the film being about a dictator would leave room for a lot of satire and I just didn't think they took advantage of that.

I wouldn't have found it as offensive as Borat or Bruno, but it has its moments. I think a second watch might make me change my opinion for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The only thing offensive about The Dictator was how bloody boring and unfunny most of it was. :pac:

Moneyball. 8/10

Interesting story dealing with one of the most influential movements in baseball. Pitt is superb and Hill and Hoffman play their roles well. An interesting portrayal of John Henry too for any Liverpool fans out there! I thoroughly enjoyed it despite having no interest in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Just finished Chronicle. Three teenagers wind up with telekinetic powers. Good premise in that
    the main character ends up being the bad guy
    , but why the fuck did it have to be a found footage film? I thought that really let it down and made some bits really awkward. Films like [REC], Blair Witch and The Last Broadcast, it makes sense for them to be found footage because it adds to the suspense, but this just annoyed me for some reason. Still, pretty decent movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Peeping Tom last night - obviously isn't as shocking or provocative as it once was, but remains an engaging, offbeat and intelligent thriller. I liked unusual combination of weird, voyeuristic sexuality and prissy British-ness. Not afraid of the indulging in the occasional cheeky gag too ('Well he won't be doing the crossword tonight!'). Rather remarkable in the context of when and where it was made, and the story behind its initial critical rejection is a fascinating one.

Strangely enough, it reminded me of the recent Cabin in the Woods in a roundabout sort of way. They're both willing to critique the audience's involvement and pleasure out of violent genre pictures, and attempt to negotiate the role of filmmakers in the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Enter the ninja - a Western trains as a ninja but another guy objects and comes after him. Half the cast play it for laughs so it's enjoyable but silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Manchurian Candidate" (2004) on TG4 last night - very satisfying movie for all of us who like conspiracy theories, cover-ups and political intrigue. Denzel Washington's portrayal of a Gulf War veteran suffering from nightmares is superb and Meryl Streep as the scheming mammy prepared to stop at nothing to achieve her political goals...epic stuff. Flags occasionally but I would rate it as an 8/10 - plenty of unexpected twists in the plot.

I ended up watching Full Metal Jacket last night, as a result of watching R Lee Ermey's new tv show called "Locked and Loaded" which is actually very good.

Pretty much every one of Ermey's lines in this movie are quote gold, and in the tv show he uses bullets as ear buds to dampen out the noise of the weapons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I watched the full version on YouTube last night.
    Although I'm a big fan of Japanese films I was not mad about this one.I know its considered a classic,but its not for me.Worth a watch,but would'nt need to see it again.
    Not a patch on The Seven Samurai IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love Rashomon, possibly my favourite Kurosawa pic. It just astounds me that a film of such structural ingenuity was made in 1950. I love the atmosphere, the performances, the cinematography, the story, the themes.

It's one of those mid-century films (along with something like Sunset Boulevard) that, IMO, has lost absolutely none of its ability to amaze. I've loved most Kurosawa I've seen (except, perhaps, I Live in Fear) but Rashomon is the one I'd recommend over the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love Rashomon, possibly my favourite Kurosawa pic. It just astounds me that a film of such structural ingenuity was made in 1950. I love the atmosphere, the performances, the cinematography, the story, the themes.

It's one of those mid-century films (along with something like Sunset Boulevard) that, IMO, has lost absolutely none of its ability to amaze. I've loved most Kurosawa I've seen (except, perhaps, I Live in Fear) but Rashomon is the one I'd recommend over the others.

"you said you loved Rashomon!"
    "thats not how I remember it!"

The Mask was the subject tonight. One of my guilty pleasures that I have not dusted off in some time. Jim Carrey is fantastic as both the socially inept bank clerk and the mystically powered green faced extrovert.

Cameron Diaz was recently quoted as saying she thinks her body is better looking now than ever before. Sorry to disagree Ms Diaz but the video below disagrees with you and I agree with it!

Hubba hubba!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

saw the raid and the life and death of colonel blimp in the IFi today

i was literally younger than everybody else in the screen for colonel blimp by a good 30 years.. probably 40. young people just dont know a good movie when it's screening at 1pm on a tuesday afternoon, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I watched Cop Land a few days ago. I thought it was very good. Sylvester Stallone gives a good performance in it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_Land

Edward Scissorhands.

I'd forgotten Burton used to make good movies. Just a good quirky, funny film. I've always had a soft spot for Winona Ryder also. Nice soundtrack from Danny Elfman.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation:

Utter crap. It started very promisingly and thought it was going to be great fun... Instead, it veered off into an awful path. Story was awful and annoyingly, the action sequences were far from gripping. A dull and lifeless film. Personally I'd avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

The Ghost

As a director Roman Polanski has an atmosphere all to himself. Robert Harris writes a brilliant story. Ewan McGregor is as solid as ever. Pierce Brosnan is perfect as the ex British Prime Minister NOT Tony Blair.

A bit of background, Robert Harris did ghost write Tony Blair's autobiography. Even though he claims the story of this book and movie are completely separate to any real events.

Though one critic (I have to paraphrase here as i cannot find the link) said that Harris' stiry and reality have nothing to do with each other but if it was true it would certainly explain a lot about the choices Tony Blair made while he was in office :-)

Worth a look

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Whatever Works, starring Larry David and directed by Woody Allen. Fantastic, and very different. A truly marvellous performance by all actors and actresses. Larry David is exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

watched God Bless America the other night,
    probably the best film i've seen in a couple of years. truly laugh out loud for me but thats what floats my boat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement