Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Lol, you didn't think this through, did you?

Haha poor lad. Was just trying to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Safe House

Not bad, nothing ground breaking but ya gotta love Denzel....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

SarahBM wrote: »
    Aliens. - not as impressed as I should have been.

Con Air - classic 90's cheese. Loved it. John Malkovich rocks.

Caught Con Air again on TV last night - by accident - good but not as good as the first time. Love the flying sports car scene. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rush Hour - Hadn't seen these since it was first released, Chris Tucker owns this movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat Star

Finally gave in to the hype and watched The Avengers. Can't say it lived up to the hype though - it was a good movie, definitely, but nothing special in my opinion. Then again, I never watched any Marvel superhero movies before and didn't have any..."connection" to the characters.

And then there were the four annoying 10-year-old children two rows behind me who were more annoying than an elephant stomping around in your garden (and believe me...that's pretty annoying). They eventually got thrown out of the cinema though, fortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

krudler wrote: »
    JFK- not sure really why I chose to watch a 3+ hour movie with a hangover :pac: its a fascinating film either a mad conspiracy theory or something based on undeniable facts, its also one of the best edited movies ever made, the structure and flow of it is stunningly good:

John Williams' score is phenomenal as well, I had never see the JFK "headshot" before seeing this movie, even though the zapruder film is one of the most infamous pieces of footage ever shot, its pretty shocking.

A great film but pure fantasy. I used to believe in a conspiracy based on this film. But when you research the case it's very clear Oswald was the lone gunman. One of the biggest lies in the film is the scene in the courtroom with the back and to the left, back and to the left famous scene. Stone fails to mention that Governor Connolly was sitting in a bucket seat which was lower down and to the left of Kennedy. This means the bullet travelled in a straight downward projectory and could indeed have caused all that damage to both men. Also Jim Garrison was nuts and said the assassination was a homosexual thrill kill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Terror - Roger Corman movie about a soldier who follows a mysterious girl to a castle only to get involved with a secret and an imposter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lol, you didn't think this through, did you?
    Keno 92 wrote: »
    Haha poor lad. Was just trying to do the right thing.

I prefer for spoilers to be blanked out. Some people just wanna mess around by saying spoilers and then it isn't actually that spoilerific. Or at all.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

On a sci fi buzz this weekend.

Alien for about the 10th time. Sometimes I appreciate it, some I don't and would rather watch Aliens. This time it was epic. Jaw dropping visuals, exceptional acting and cast, brilliantly crafted atmosphere.

2001 - again seen it a few times and seemed to appreciate it more today. Still a bit slow paced for me again and having read the book, the story felt like a sideshow to the visuals...which make the film for me. Practical effect like this and Alien put todays CGI fests to shame.

Starting to watch Event Horizon, having failed get into it before. Have the head for it today and looks good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A great film but pure fantasy. I used to believe in a conspiracy based on this film. But when you research the case it's very clear Oswald was the lone gunman. One of the biggest lies in the film is the scene in the courtroom with the back and to the left, back and to the left famous scene. Stone fails to mention that Governor Connolly was sitting in a bucket seat which was lower down and to the left of Kennedy. This means the bullet travelled in a straight downward projectory and could indeed have caused all that damage to both men. Also Jim Garrison was nuts and said the assassination was a homosexual thrill kill.

Fascinating subject though, and yeah its a great movie, Donald Sutherland's monologue about the beginnings of the Vietnam war is exceptional, fantastic cast in that movie too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Starting to watch Event Horizon, having failed get into it before. Have the head for it today and looks good so far.

Wow that was fcuking terrible. Dont think it deserves any more than that.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Star Trek I

The first trek movie from the original cast I've watched. Refreshingly straight forward. The threat appears, they go there, deal with it. The end.

I've never watched the original series but I've seen about half of The Next Generation so far and I'm curious about TOS. Lots of ham acting, questionable plot decisions and long panning shots. But it's fun, and that's why I liked it. They could have cut at least 30 minutes from it, more even, and affected the plot in absolutely no way. It wouldn't be that same though, the whole film seems more epic with the superfluous shots.

Now for Wrath of Khan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This Movie is Not Yet Rated - interesting, and with an important subject matter, but thought as a docu it was slightly...lacking. The private detective stuff just felt like fluff. The interviews with directors were probably the most engaging part. While the insights into the MPAA's 'biases' were fascinating, they spent too much time trying to discover individual rater identities and not enough delving into the more sinister industry influences. Decent, but was expecting a bit more bite than I ended up getting. At least it sheds light on the absurdity of censorship and its inherent contradictions.

Chinatown - What can one say? Some films with such a lofty reputation can often be difficult viewing, but Chinatown is one of the breeziest, most exciting thrillers around. Its razor sharp script puts a majority of today's contenders to absolute shame. A classic of pulp cinema that has barely aged a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Kwaidan - three-hour Japanese anthology of four ghost stories from the 1960s. Slow but good.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Play it Again Sam starring Woody Allen. He's got anxiety issues and has problems with women. There is great verbal and physical comedy in equal measure. My Dad has said the Jews have great wit and I know what he means now. Watch that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched The Shining yesterday. For some reason I thought that I had never seen it in its entirety but once the film ended, I realised that I had seen the whole thing not so long ago. Its a good film and some brilliant individual parts but as a whole it just doesn't do much for me. I think its because it doesn't frighten me, although that could be because the key scenes are so familiar, even to people who haven't seen the film.

Watched Palindromes also. Had been meaning to watch it for ages, simply because of the dvd cover. Loved it. Looked it up on IMDB and realised that the director, Todd Solondz, also did Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse, which explained alot! All three movies have children and sex at their core. Touchy subject but done wonderfully, and always with a great cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Project x.
    I don't know what must people think but one of the movies of the year for me.very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Angels & Demons" (2009) RTE tonight - Despite liking Tom Hanks this is dreadful muck. Watching paint dry etc. 1/10 - switched to a DVD half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dogtooth. Holy carp ... I don't think I've ever seen a film with more WTF? moments than this. The ending is deliberately ambiguous, too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

bnt wrote: »
    Dogtooth. Holy carp ... I don't think I've ever seen a film with more WTF? moments than this. The ending is deliberately ambiguous, too.

Agreed...I've been recommending this to people then thought..hold on do I want this person to know I watched this!!!!!:o

Enjoyed it all the same.

Watched The Martyrs tonight. Odd, odd film. I didn't dislike it but I wouldn't be rushing to see it again.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Latest I've seen

Deja vu
    Shutter Island
    The Guard
    Source code
    Prometheus

All not bad but shutter island wins by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

"Angels & Demons" (2009) RTE tonight - Despite liking Tom Hanks this is dreadful muck. Watching paint dry etc. 1/10 - switched to a DVD half way through.

Saw it myself, shocking scour altogether. Thought it would be good with Hanks and Ewan McGregor starring but it was really bad that I lost interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The End of the Affair

Loved the soundtrack

Film was good, enjoyed it

Ralph Fiennes seems to be having affairs in so many of his films!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

snow white and the hunter . . . . . fcukin great film , best film iv seen in a few years :) absolutly loved everything about it

Page Eight

British spy film

Great soundtrack, good acting and I liked how it was directed

The sparring in the conference room between MI5 and the Home Secretary was the best scene, very sharp dialogue

Story was good
    Something that could have been adapted to a TV series I think, the ending was just a bit rushed and far too clean and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Agreed...I've been recommending this to people then thought..hold on do I want this person to know I watched this!!!!!:o

Enjoyed it all the same.

Watched The Martyrs tonight. Odd, odd film. I didn't dislike it but I wouldn't be rushing to see it again.....

'Dogtooth' is one of the finest films I've seen in ages, simply for the reason that it's such a strange (yet comprehensible) film.

'Martyrs' is also great, but in a vastly different way. Not too sure the premise holds up completely and it's tough going. But worth the watch, if you have the stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Dail M for murder. Watched this the other night. Not Hitchcocks best imo but still very good. I guess when it comes to his movies, you either love them or hate them, I'm a big fan of his movies.
    The whole movie (bar few short scenes) takes place in one room with about 5 actors. Genius.

Couple other movies I watched recently.

Final Destination 5 more of the same from the series really, might of been nice to watch in 3D. If your a fan of the series you will enjoy it.

The Occupant a psychological thriller. I thought it was ok. If your a fan of the genre it might be worth watching. Nothing specail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Dogtooth' is one of the finest films I've seen in ages, simply for the reason that it's such a strange (yet comprehensible) film.
    One reviewer compared watching it to watching a car crash in slow motion, and I agree: from the start, an overwhelming sense of "this is not going to end well", but it's the detail that makes the film great. For example, the sexual tension between the siblings was so pervasive, from the opening scenes, that you knew it was going to boil over at some point - but I wasn't expecting what actually transpired on screen.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

The Wildest Dream

To do with two climbers in the 20's trying to conquer Mt Everest

I'd heard of these two before back in the early nineties before they found the body.
    Back then nobody knew what happened. We still don't know for sure but we know a bit more

It's beautifully shot, looks incredible.
    Would love to see this in a cinema

Ralph Fiennes does most of the voiceover was good

I enjoyed it
    Along this line I'd recommend the Kenneth Branagh made for TV film about the Nimrod and Shackleton.
    Was on TV a few years back, I think it was Channel 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hoax

It was on the other night pretty late, started watching it just for a few minutes but ended up watching the whole thing. Really well done and gripping subject matter.
    Tried to find the audio from the conference call Hughes did in 1972 as a reaction to Irvings biography but not a sausage. Does anybody know if this recording is even available?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement