Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I never even knew the PSP GTA's were out on PS2? :confused: Duh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I think they each (Liberty & Vice) came out on PS2 a year after appearing on PSP. I haven't played the PSP versions but from what I've read the PS2 versions are straight ports with graphics improved a little bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, they are ok but feel limited tbh.
    No real innovation in them, compared to GTAIII and VC.
    Then again they were made for the PSP.

GTA Chinatown Wars is the one that really interests me, never owned it the first time around and seems a nice blend of the story telling of the current series and the view point of the original title.
    Not sure if it's best on DS or PSP, seeing as the DS is still an actively played machine in my collection, the PSP is a paperweight yet again, I guess I get it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Right so to bring it all back on topic here's something that arrived in the post this morning. Two things actually. Still on my Dreamcast buzz as you can see:

First thing is the Sonic Adventure 2 limited edition birthday pack that was released in Japan in 2001 for Sonic's birthday:

nRNGQ.jpg
    emhk8.jpg

It'll look good next to this pickup from November:
    lVBCo.jpg

Then there's the Metal Gear Solid Bleemcast boot disc:

0E2Pr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My TurboExpress just landed on my desk. Seems to be in good condition and its a massive beast of a handheld.

Will post a few pics later on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,903 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Might get it resurfaced just in case, I have a PS2 game to get done as well and Smyths have a 4 for a tenner deal on the service.

I never knew that Smyths did resurfacing, thanks. Have a few games to get resurfaced, a few Wii games I got from xtravision balbriggan that were scuffed and didn't realise until a year later (bought brand new as well, the way they store them in the balbriggan store scratches the **** out of them, the second hand games are in much better condition). Also a copy of Xenogears and Lunar Silver Story I bought for all money from a cowboy website that closed the following week. Hopefully I can get something of the 80 euros I spent on Xengears back :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hopefully I can get something of the 80 euros I spent on Xengears back :/

Contact your credit card company (or bank) and ask for a charge back as they have gone out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

EnterNow wrote: »
    hipsters2.jpg

OK, I'll be the one to ask.

EnterNow, why'd you buy 2 hipsters??? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,903 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Achilles wrote: »
    Contact your credit card company (or bank) and ask for a charge back as they have gone out of business.

It's well over a decade ago at this stage and the company were american and absolute cowboys, screwed loads of people over. You'd pay for a game complete in box and get a CD sleeve with the CD's in rough shape from them. Ordered Chrono Cross from them in the same order which they just didnt send. Anyway it's water under the bridge now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

No photos but nabbed an original PS1 Tomb Raider (the one in the Dual CD style case), for 2 quid.Turned out it had a copy of tom raider 2 inside as well.Which was nice!

• Advertisement

The pic is a bit crap but you get the idea.
    Generally it's in really great condition and well worth the price I paid for it.

turboexp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dr Bob wrote: »
    No photos but nabbed an original PS1 Tomb Raider (the one in the Dual CD style case), for 2 quid.Turned out it had a copy of tom raider 2 inside as well.Which was nice!

this you?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkCnpafLRkNUseknAzH3l6K2mKcO3QKBXIXhhz93HOf9EbOcf71w

Steve SI wrote: »
    Generally it's in really great condition and well worth the price I paid for it.

turboexp.jpg

So what is it?

0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

turboexp.jpg

Such a sexy mofo!

Just saw this on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboExpress
    "While the system was technologically superior to the other handhelds of its era, it still had its problems. Due to a problem with cheap capacitors (See Capacitor Plague), sound failure was a frequent problem with the TurboExpress."

But the capacitor plague period wasn't until the early 2000s, I never heard of a capacitor plague in the early 90s. :confused:

Maybe they meant to just link to a bad capacitor page in general, shouldn't be linked to the Capacitor plague which happened a decade later!

So what is it?

0.jpg

It's a TurboExpress (that's had a fresh cap kit installed so the audio and video are as clean as possible on such an old style screen).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboExpress

Ah thats the handheld pc engine thingy isn't it? The one that takes full sized cards? Cool, arn't they mega dear??

Ah thats the handheld pc engine thingy isn't it? The one that takes full sized cards? Cool, arn't they mega dear??

That's the one. PC Engine games(as in jap games) don't work on it without an adapter and they are very rare these days but I tracked one down anyway(for a price that was a bit shocking for what it does).

Edit:
    This is the US version of the Jap PC Engine GT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So what is it?

0.jpg

I've never seen one before - no one has - but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

That's the one. PC Engine games(as in jap games) don't work on it without an adapter and they are very rare these days but I tracked one down anyway(for a price that was a bit shocking for what it does).

Edit:
    This is the US version of the Jap PC Engine GT.

Yeah I've seen the prices of some of those adapters, scary stuff. How would you rate the screen on it anyway? Original Nomad type screen or so?

Yeah I've seen the prices of some of those adapters, scary stuff. How would you rate the screen on it anyway? Original Nomad type screen or so?

I'll let you know as soon as I can get out of this hell hole of an airport and get home to my box of batteries :D

Price wise I got a very good deal on it so it wasn't as bad as it could have been(especially as its had the very necessary cap kit installed as loads of these things needed new caps the day the were sold). Of course, now I'm wondering if a screen mod is an option on this thing. Now that would be very sweet indeed :)

I'll post a few better pics later on for those who might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lovely TurboExpress Steve, remembering reading about them in C&VG early '90s and thought they were awesome. A handheld PC Engine, nuff said.

Nowhere near as expensive as an LT though yes? Are they pretty much the same device except for looks etc?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lovely TurboExpress Steve, remembering reading about them in C&VG early '90s and thought they were awesome. A handheld PC Engine, nuff said.

Nowhere near as expensive as an LT though yes? Are they pretty much the same device except for looks etc?

Not even in the same region price wise as the LT. The LT has a much nicer/larger screen I think as well. Plus the LT is just plain sexy but at around 1000-1400 for one its a bit pricey.

Actually, not sure why I'm being so cagey on the price as it's well below what I would normal not mention here(I don't really post the really pricey gets on public forums :o)

I paid £100 sterling for it including postage on AO, maybe another 7 or 8 quid on paypal fees as well. I think that was a pretty damn good deal.

I'd consider that well worth it, another console ticked off the list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Not the item I originally read, but an interesting interview nonetheless. Seems some of it indeed was reshot because of a stunt that broke four boats. Either way, its a fantastic chase sequence and miles better than anything else in my humblest of opinions. http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/6475-DON-SHARP,-DIRECTOR-AN-APPRECIATION-BY-JOHN-EXSHAW.html

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Not the item I originally read, but an interesting interview nonetheless. Seems some of it indeed was reshot because of a stunt that broke four boats. Either way, its a fantastic chase sequence and miles better than anything else in my humblest of opinions. http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/6475-DON-SHARP,-DIRECTOR-AN-APPRECIATION-BY-JOHN-EXSHAW.html

suffers-interwebs-defeat-hides-shame.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,574 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And you know it's bad when he hasn't even noticed someone bought PCEngine hardware!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, unless the production somehow gained access to several dozen invisible 35mm cameras - which, to my humble knowledge, do not exist - our North Korean friend was always going to be proven incorrect :p

The opening chase of Drive is better anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I've never seen one before - no one has - but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

So that thing is spewing time back into the galaxy?

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So that thing is spewing time back into the galaxy?

Aw someone punch him out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement