Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Doge

Not Arcade but certainly retro....

sTdvl.jpg

Bought a dvd of the original Gone in 60 Seconds (1974),
    and I bought the DVD on the left mainly for the documentary on H.B. Halicki
    - the Producer, Director, Actor and Stunt Driver of these 3 films.

If you like car chases and haven't seen the original it's a must,
    it has one of the longest, action packed car chase scenes in history, almost 40 minutes,
    and a lot of it was shot illegally without a permit - the people you see on the street aren't actors! ;)

Toby Halicki was quite a legend, it was a low budget film, and he spent most of the budget on over 100 cars which included genuine police cars, fire trucks, garbage trucks etc....

To balance this, he had friends and family acting in the film so the acting is quite poor, but the chase scenes make up for it.

He's involved in a bad crash in the film, which actually was a genuine accident and when he regained consciousness, the first thing he said was if they got the footage of it!

After performing another stunt towards the end of the chase which involved a jump in the car, he compacted 10 vertebrae!

Not one bit of this CGI bull**** that you see in the remake!

The story behind the film is quite amazing, and knowing the ins and outs, gives you a much larger appreciation of it.

Definitely worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Today I received the following:

1. Gigawing Generations [NTSC-J, PS2, CIB]
    A title missing from my Gigawing collection and one I've wanted for some time. As I understand it, this is the pick of the PS2 bunch anyway.
    ip5OLYSxmO4Te.JPG
    isWL4gUFMXMqs.JPG

2. Ken Ishii - Jelly Tones [2008 Remastered Edition, Sealed/New]
    I bought this as it has a cleaner master audio and also (I think) comes with the video for Extra. I photographed it with the 1995 first pressing edition I bought a couple of weeks ago. SteveSI syndrome START!! :eek:
    i7gH4Q85WFqob.jpg

3. Mickey Mouse in Castle Of Illusion [NTSC-J, Mega Drive, CIB]
    Not a SHMUP! :eek: Nonetheless it's a game I have desired to own for some time, so, on the rare occasion I make a non-SHMUP purchase, I think this is a worthy enough title to fit in to my small, but super pert :pac: non-SHMUPS collection.
    iYDz7KceiswKQ.JPG
    i8RPID7ycTpaU.JPG

Final GET! action for this week includes more Kanji textbooks, an original XBOX (not 360) RGB SCART cable and audio cable, a PS2 v9 lens loop.

Oh, and a chick from Japan who's going to give me Japanese lessons.*

*awaiting smutty comments. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »
    *awaiting smutty comments. :(

I call sloppy seconds.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I call sloppy seconds.

That didn't take long! :P

Anywho, yeah it's ace. Proper Japanese person teaching me Japanese. It's almost as brilliant as a Jack Burton burger....but not quite....well.....sort of. Yeah alright it's better.

domo arigatogozaimash!ta!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

waveform wrote: »

Bought a dvd of the original Gone in 60 Seconds (1974),

Great film that sir, have it myself. The car chase was pretty damn cool from what I remember. The Driver (1978) still has the most entertaining car scenes on film bar none even if they aren't real (imo ofcourse).

@Pyongyang: Nice stuff. Was Generations not released on DC also? So what kind of Japanese "lessons" is she going to teach you? Does it involve dressing up as robots? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Speaking of car films of that era, anyone ever see Duel? Its :cool:

the most entertaining car scenes on film bar none.

I disagree. This is the best, recorded in one take, chase ever recorded on film. No contest. You will NEVER be able able to film something like this ever again. A masterpiece, pure and simple:

Closely followed by this, again, done in one take:

I strongly advise you to watch them both immediately before finishing reading my post. :D
    @Pyongyang: Nice stuff. Was Generations not released on DC also?

Not that I know of? The two games were released separately though. I have the first one on the Dreamcast, not the second one. Yet.

As for the Japanese lessons, no we won't be dressing up as our favourite Gundam while learning Kanji! I'm going to sit the JLPT exams in December/July so don't want to waste my money failing them! :)
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Speaking of car films of that era, anyone ever see Duel? Its :cool:

Yep. 1971. Steven Cheeseburger's first feature film no less!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Doge

Nice one for the link to Rendezvous Pyongy,
    checking out Ken Ishii's album on youtube right now, haven't listened to him before.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Great film that sir, have it myself. The car chase was pretty damn cool from what I remember. The Driver (1978) still has the most entertaining car scenes on film bar none even if they aren't real (imo ofcourse).

@Pyongyang: Nice stuff. Was Generations not released on DC also? So what kind of Japanese "lessons" is she going to teach you? Does it involve dressing up as robots? :P

I downloaded The Driver the day I purchased Gone in 60 from amazon for £5.39.

It was mentioned in the review comments along with Vannishing Pointamd a few others.

I love how the playstation game was inspired by it, and recreated the training mission from this scene:

What re-kindled my interest in all this again was playing Driver Parallel Lines on the PS2 lately.

I only played the PC version today, and you know what?

Despite the higher res graphics, I prefer playing it on my Trinitron on the PS2.

I've noticed this with GTA VC & SA also.

Because the PC versions are so sharp, it makes the walls and buildings look very flat and boxy for some reason.

Whatever it is about playing it on the ps2 with a CRT, the objects just blend in more, and the saturation makes the lighting blend in more also.

waveform wrote: »
    Ken Ishii's album, haven't heard his tracks before so youtubing them right now.

Allow me sir.

You're welcome. ;)

N.B: I'm trying to complete his discography. Starting with Jelly Tones. Easy Filters is next on my shopping list. I've had a resurging interest in collecting techno albums recently. Odd.

EDIT: Oh, and this, which I have knocking around on vinyl somewhere. Absolutely astonishing record:

I disagree. This is the best, recorded in one take, chase ever recorded on film. No contest. You will NEVER be able able to film something like this ever again. A masterpiece, pure and simple:

Cool chase but recorded in one take my arse. Not unless that yellow boat has a miraculous windscreen that breaks and fixes itself when it feels like it! Normal at 4:29, broken at 4:47, then gets shot, back fixed again at 5:24. :pac:

Anyway, still not as good as The Driver. :D

• Advertisement

Cool chase but recorded in one take my arse. Not unless that yellow boat has a miraculous windscreen that breaks and fixes itself when it feels like it! Normal at 4:29, broken at 4:47, then gets shot, back fixed again at 5:24. :pac:

It was so! There's a thing on it somewhere I read in someplace about a thing on it wrote by some bloke. I'll dig it out.

They did the lot in one take by setting up cameras at every point they needed for the shots. Plus the use of the chopper for the overhead of course.

I am now determined to find the article about how that was filmed, hopefully it's available online. For 1970, when Puppet On A Chain was filmed, it's a feckin incredible piece of stunt/film making.

So nerr! :)

It was so! There's a thing on it somewhere I read in someplace about a thing on it wrote by some bloke. I'll dig it out.

They did the lot in one take by setting up cameras at every point they needed for the shots. Plus the use of the chopper for the overhead of course.

I am now determined to find the article about how that was filmed, hopefully it's available online. For 1970, when Puppet On A Chain was filmed, it's a feckin incredible piece of stunt/film making.

So nerr! :)

Absolutely, it's great! Just not filmed in one take unless the laws of physics didn't apply back then. :p

Absolutely, it's great! Just not filmed in one take unless the laws of physics didn't apply back then. :p

Anthony Julius Xavier Constantine Plopadopalos Seven Six! It so was shot in one take! Had to be put through post though so maybe something got rejigged in editing? I must find that article now!

It could have been shot in one take & edited together in places, perhaps not in the order certain sequences happened?

It could have been shot in one take & edited together in places, perhaps not in the order certain sequences happened?

That's what I was kinda aiming for in my post to Andrew76, just with less shouting and red text and stuff...

:o

Aye was thinking the same, not so impressive really then. I can sense Pyong's rage levels rising. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I disagree. This is the best, recorded in one take, chase ever recorded on film. No contest. You will NEVER be able able to film something like this ever again. A masterpiece, pure and simple

Amazing scene alright. I must watch that film sometime.

The best? This is the best chase scene ever recorded. Ever. Seeing the truck come down off the overpass is unmatched when it comes to the unstoppable horror of the chaser. (unfortunately youtube wont let me embed it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUd3rgVJusk

This is a very very close second (if you'd asked me a few years ago this would have been first.

Also love the chase at the end of Westworld. You really can see where Robert Patrick got a lot of his T-1000 mannerisms.

I can sense Pyong's rage levels rising.

1071537_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Bahh, just home from London this evening and the neighbour rang me earlier to say she had taken delivery of a box from China. I thought I was going to have some tasty morsels to post here as I have a few nice things one the way.

Got home, legged it over to collect the box, very small box I though to myself when I got it. It was just a watch I'd ordered :mad:
    south_park_god_dammit_brown_shirt1_xlarge.jpeg

Steve SI wrote: »
    Taken delivery of a box from China. I thought I was going to have some tasty morsels.

Got home, legged it over to collect the box, very small box I though to myself when I got it. It was just a what I'd ordered.

g88yeungchowfriedrice.jpg

I don't see why you're upset? :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't see why you're upset? :pac:

Not quite as tasty as that :)

dsc1419t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice!

I'm still in the market for a watch. Had to give up my WW2 watch dream when I discovered how radioactive the things are :(

Been trying to find a cheap Rolex on ebay for the craic. No luck so far!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice!

I'm still in the market for a watch. Had to give up my WW2 watch dream when I discovered how radioactive the things are :(

I picked up an old classic Cellini Rolex a while back. Not in great shape.
    I'm trying to build up my watch collection again, It used to be fairly nice but its years since I've really collected and most of the watches I had are missing or back home somewhere.

dsc1421w.jpg

Tis a secret hobby of mine, horology. That and collecting vintage and LE fountain pens are some of my favourite things to amass.

My watch collection is small, but pert. I currently have a Longines Hydroconquest (automatic, blue not black) and a solid gold (inc bracelet) Omega Seamaster with some 'extra stuff' I won't detail here.

The Omega is kept in a safe deposit box off the premises though so I never wear it. The Longines is my weekender though I keep it in a watch winder throughout the week.

I almost bought a Tag Heure Carrera (specifically this one) but bought a fountain pen instead. Keen on Visconti limited editions and vintage bulb fill pens. Specifically, my favourite being an Eversharp Skyline fountain pen I have from the 1933 World's Fair.

One I do have my eye on is the Tag Heure Monaco, with the LE Steve McQueen Porsche Le Mans detailing on it. I think they made super limited quantities of it though. An Officine Panerai would be nice too, but you could get a deposit on a gaf in Dublin for the price of one of those. Tried a couple on though and the faces are too big and heavy, probably something that will go out of style when Premiership footballers ride the next fashion wave.

hipsters2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice!

Got a silver one of these some time ago, nice and retro although a bit confusing at times (no pun intended)

He's talking about you SteveSI! :D

Here's a nice site on the Eversharp Skyline:

http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=1782

That's the 1940's edition that had a lot of changes to it, though the bulb access clip feature stayed the same as earlier editions.

The World's Fair edition I have is on the rare side but needs a bit of TLC as the clip is a bit flaky and the bulb has a hole near the seal. Beautiful pen though, hopefully I'll be able to get her restored to her former glory. :)

On the subject of fountain pens, I've a stack of Lamy Safari's of differing nib grades and also a nice Lamy Studio. Biggest extravagance was a Graf Von Faber Castell pencil I bought that was... umm... a bit costly. :o

I don't really go for rare watches myself. If I see something and its a bit interesting or I might have a use for it I grab it.
    Lots of weird watches around at the moment I have my eye on. Probably not to everyone's taste though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

This is a very very close second (if you'd asked me a few years ago this would have been first.

I listen to that music for the last mile whenever I go running....green lightning comes out of me after that

• Advertisement

My Omega is rare, but it's a personal piece so I won't discuss here (in a gaming forum :rolleyes:). I like LE's though, they hold their value and sometimes increase depending on who made it and the complexity of the movement used.

A Raymond Weil piece I was looking at a while ago, I nearly bought, only to discover the movement inside it was the same common movement used by many other 'fine' watchmakers. Including Breitling. Lesson learned, always enquire about the movement before opening your wallet.

Staying completely off topic, I just found the photos of my 1933 World's Fair Eversharp Skyline. Just if anyone is in to their pens loike... :)

H7xuS.jpg

ebOam.jpg

mTGJB.jpg

You can see the nib needs to be rebuffed and ground. But it's 14k gold so you have to get a pro to restore it. Same with the bulb filler repair. Not an easy job by any means, but a cool pen that's well worth restoring to it's glory days. :)

Back OT now, sorry all. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement