Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

We get crapola like those pens and watches all the time at work
    Never given them a second thought :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

9Cfv3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Send them to me, I'll stick a Darius sticker on them and sell it to Pyongy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    Send them to me, I'll stick a Darius sticker on them and sell it to Pyongy :)

I'd love a Darius pen! :eek:

It's alright, I've already pestered Mr. Parish. Hands off my pens Steven Emmanuelle!

Oh, here was a pen I sold a while ago. Loved that pen but I never inked it. :(

http://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/limited-edition-053-of-188-made-visconti-van-gogh-fountain-pen-14k-gold-palladium/810996

Should have known better than to risk the jungle that is adverts.ie! Ended up selling it to a bloke in Canada.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'd love a Darius pen! :eek:

It's alright, I've already pestered Mr. Parish. Hands off my pens Steven Emmanuelle!

Oh, here was a pen I sold a while ago. Loved that pen but I never inked it. :(

http://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/limited-edition-053-of-188-made-visconti-van-gogh-fountain-pen-14k-gold-palladium/810996

Should have known better than to risk the jungle that is adverts.ie! Ended up selling it to a bloke in Canada.

You're safe, I'm not really into pens.
    I have a nice enough Leonardo da Vinci fountain pen from an exhibition in Boston in 1997 and that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sorry I have to call total bull**** on that one-take thing. The wide shots of the canal from land may have been done in one-take, but there's not a chance in hell the close-ups or anything like that were. Have you ever seen the size of a 35mm camera, and the setup that would have been required in the 70s?

The whole thing was shot in one-take? I'd say it borders on the technically impossible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

waveform wrote: »
    Only played Mercenaries 2 on the 360 & PC myself, and it's one of the most fun sandbox games I've ever played.

It's a little rough around the edges graphically though.

But it makes up for it with the sheer amount of vehicles you can drive, airstrikes you can call in, and the amount of stuff you can buy.

You can even take buildings out with anything from C4 to Nukes!

In terms of freedom, and vehicles it's similar to Battlefield 3 / Arma II, but in 3rd person.
    crikey! I just realised I've owned a copy of Mercenaries 2 on the ps3 for the last 6 months and haven't actually played the damn thing yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭Doge

That akira film looks worth a watch! Very nice style.

Could this possibly be wavey's gateway to manga? :eek:

Dr Bob wrote: »
    crikey! I just realised I've owned a copy of Mercenaries 2 on the ps3 for the last 6 months and haven't actually played the damn thing yet!

Pop it in, when you're in a mood for a fun game where you want to blast the ****e out of everything, and wreak havoc on military bases!

Oh and there's a choice of 3 characters.

The Swedish character Mathius is essential, he has the best phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You've never seen Akira?!?!!?!!?

Drop everything and watch it this instant!

Then read all the Manga!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, so you're that one guy on the internet who hasn't seen Akira. I've heard rumours of such a person, but I just couldn't bring myself to believe it :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah, so you're that one guy on the internet who hasn't seen Akira. I've heard rumours of such a person, but I just couldn't bring myself to believe it :pac:

I'm a tard when it comes to all things manga/animé/ even hentai.

Master of the Universe

Ah it's not your tradition 'wtf?! is that?!' big eyed obscure Anime though - it's one of the greatest animated films ever made (well, I'd say THE greatest, but I'm biased!)

Without any background you probably won't have a clue what's going on, especially towards the end. But it's an absolutely amazing film and the overall story arc is brilliant. One of the best sci fi reads if you can get the manga volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Oh no. You didn't. :D

Hey, let us know when you finally get your hands on The Devastator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

o1s1n wrote: »
    Been trying to find a cheap Rolex on ebay for the craic. No luck so far!

who needs a Rolex, when you can have some proper retro sh!t

15-2533393SPA70UC493994X.jpg

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2533393/Trail/searchtext%3ECASIO.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice: Don't bother. Play Just Cause 2 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

who needs a Rolex, when you can have some proper retro sh!t

15-2533393SPA70UC493994M.jpg

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2533393/Trail/searchtext%3ECASIO.htm

F'ed up related article on Wikipedia.

"Because of its claimed use in terrorism, possession of a Casio watch, often a Casio F91W, was listed in Guantanamo Bay Combatant Status Review Tribunal reports and other government documents as a reason for these detainees' continued detention."

That exact model. :D

a5y wrote: »
    F'ed up related article on Wikipedia.

"Because of its claimed use in terrorism, possession of a Casio watch, often a Casio F91W, was listed in Guantanamo Bay Combatant Status Review Tribunal reports and other government documents as a reason for these detainees' continued detention."

That exact model. :D

Tis true.
    I'm no terrorist but I'm wearing one right now. In fact I have a backup sealed in a box for when the battery goes :D

Edit:
    See :)
    dsc1424q.jpg

Also, it's cold so that's why I'm wearing a long sleeve jumper :D

Ah it's not your tradition 'wtf?! is that?!' big eyed obscure Anime though - it's one of the greatest animated films ever made (well, I'd say THE greatest, but I'm biased!)

It really needs to be watched alongside the other great anime achievements, though - films like My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away (well, everything Ghibli that isn't set in Earthsea), Summer Wars, Ghost in the Shell (although I'm not the biggest fan of GitS), Millennium Actress, Paprika, 5cm Per Second... There is a tendency to define anime as 'Akira' and then 'everything else', but Otomo's film is but one of many greats.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Not quite as tasty as that :)

dsc1419t.jpg

What's that chap called? The blue looks cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

are we just posting anything now? :P
    I got some Pinky:St figures today, know some of you who are mad into them after playing the NDS game.
    25kr6nb.jpg

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What's that chap called? The blue looks cool.

It's an Infiltrator by Infantry.
    Not to sure about the quality of the strap just yet as part of it just came off. The watch was cheap enough but the strap should be better than this.

It's also not the smallest/lightest watch in the world(I don't mind but some people hate big watches):
    dsc1425g.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ronin has some of the best, if not the best, chase sequences in a movie, hands down.
    Having owned it on VHS, DVD and Blu, and the DVD having the best extras as well, I can honestly say little comes close.
    The doc's included with the DVD include one on how the chases were shot and it's amazeballs!

Bullitt is a little too obvious, but should be mentioned as incredible stuff, as is The French Connection.

What lots of folk haven't seen is Vanishing Point, the whole movie is a chase scene, with the hero getting a car from point A to point B with the cops in pursuit, kinda like Smokey and the Bandit but without the smarm and cheese.

And, of course, Grand Prix and Le Mans, not chase movies, but racing movies with amazing car footage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might buy a terrorist watch, see if I get any knowing glances when I'm up near the border!

Oh, none of the 3 360 games I got at the market worked!
    Two are resurface jobs, the third, a copy of Grid doesn't seem to have any marks at all, yet doesn't work, any ideas? Might get it resurfaced just in case, I have a PS2 game to get done as well and Smyths have a 4 for a tenner deal on the service.

Also, picked up BF3 yesterday for 20 and will hopefully have Shock Troopers for the MVS this even, courtesy of Mitchomagic and €15!

Master of the Universe

It really needs to be watched alongside the other great anime achievements, though - films like My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away (well, everything Ghibli that isn't set in Earthsea), Summer Wars, Ghost in the Shell (although I'm not the biggest fan of GitS), Millennium Actress, Paprika, 5cm Per Second... There is a tendency to define anime as 'Akira' and then 'everything else', but Otomo's film is but one of many greats.

For myself, Akira never really felt like an anime though, you know? I know that's probably unfairly lumping all the other films you mentioned together, as 'anime' itself is hardly a genre.

But if anything, it feels more like a big budget western animated feature. It's missing a lot of anime stylings and instead uses western ones. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade would be another film which would fit the same kind of criteria if you get me.

Ghibli films feel very Japanese, as does Paprika. Not saying someone shouldn't watch them all (they definitely should!..well, excluding Earthsea of course :pac:)

Sure I remember the first time I saw it back in the early 90's I rushed out and bought loads of anime expecting more of the same - but the majority of it was far far different. (Think late 80s/early 90s Manga Entertainment cyberpunk releases - The Guyver, Doomed Megalopolis, Angel Cop, Wicked City etc) fun, but full of anime animation shortcuts. They were all OVAs either lumped together to form a film or else over a series of multiples of tapes.

Akira though was just this absolute pinnacle of animation. The fluidity and high FPS is it is not something you got in other japanese animation at the time.

So yep, Otomos film is one of many great masterpieces from Japan, but to a lot of us, it is a bit different.

By the way, have you ever seen The Thief and the Cobbler? It's an interesting story to read about, the film went through production hell and was never released in its true form. Which is a tragedy as it's some of the greatest animation ever created. (Disney completely ripped it off with Aladdin, but that's a story for another day). Some of the animation in it is so fluid you'd think it's rotoscoped or CGI - but it's not!

Check out The War Machine scene -

Ah, here's the one I was looking for. A lot of it isn't animated and it's the original story boards, but watch through it for the bits which ARE animated. It's the most fluid and overly detailed stuff you'll ever see. You can see why the damn film was never finished and worked on for 30 years!

Master of the Universe

For the love of god, someone buy something and get this thread back on topic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

For the love of god, someone buy something and get this thread back on topic! :D

I bought a SNK Hyper 64 (fighting board) if that's any good to you :)

a5y wrote: »
    Hey, let us know when you finally get your hands on The Devastator.

heh heh heh! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I had no idea that Smyths did resurfacing.

The first disc of my copy of Shenmue for the Dreamcast doesn't boot 90% of the time, you reckon it'd be any use getting it resurfaced? Would the same process for a DVD work for a GD-Rom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

1... 2... €3:
    GTALibertyCityStorieesFFVII-CerberusKillzone.jpg
    Liberty City Stories is the latest of the PS2 GTAs that I didn't have. I could have picked it up anytime in Gamestop but never felt like paying €15 for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement